AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2013-11-02, 15:51   Link #4361
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

I got into Bronze II because I played ranked pre-season while Konakaga jumped to Silver I from the out of 10 promo games. So definitely not playing ranked until after the pre-season. I also want to see and watch twitch streams on how the new matchmaking and ranked things go.

Because I want to play seriously in season 4. I've been thinking of Support Quints to use. For my Thresh build I'm trying to test getting 4 armor blues, 5 mr blues, 9 armor yellows, 9 damage reds and something else.

1. Flat Damage Quints
1. Armor Quints
1. Gold/10 Quints because I already have +2 gold per 10 from support masteries.

Maybe I can experiment more and see what happens?
Old 2013-11-02, 18:51   Link #4362
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoshino_crimsonwings View Post
Any other diamond players on this board?
Doubt it, a few of us are gold or plats, but I haven't heard of anyone being diamond here .
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-02, 23:57   Link #4363
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

An IRL friend of mine has made it to Diamond 1 on solo queue and Challenger on 5v5 on Oceania. He is an insanely skilled top lane player. His in-game name is Josker and if Australia finally gets a team to the world championships or a proper pro circuit in the near future, I'd be very surprised if he isn't on it. Not only does he top lane, he used to mid lane and did it just as well, plus he's also the shot caller and strategist of his team. Definitely want him to have the chance to go pro.
Old 2013-11-03, 00:09   Link #4364
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Would definitely love to learn under that friend of yours.
Old 2013-11-03, 01:54   Link #4365
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Damn, Reginald is retiring. So sad; I don't quite agree with his attitude, but back in the day he was damn good. To the point that I played Kayle AP and Ezreal ADC (this was back when NA meta had ADCs dueling out in mid lol), two champs he was known for even before S1 started. Sure he has regressed a bit, but he still gave Faker a run for his money back in worlds.

Now I wonder how TSM is gonna play, considering he was the main shotcaller after laning phase. OddOne is a support jungler, Dyrus don't say anything, WildTurtle just sits there and smiles, so that leaves maybe Xpecial? Not sure how Bjergsen is with shotcalling or whatnot. Will be interesting to see how they play this coming split, though now I can't fully back them now like I did before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoshino_crimsonwings View Post
Any other diamond players on this board?
Diamond is IIRC like the top 0.1%. Assuming you are a diamond player, and asusming animesuki forum is totally random in terms of its player's skills, then that means there's gotta be 1000 other posters before you meet another diamond player here on average.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-03, 02:14   Link #4366
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
I got into Bronze II because I played ranked pre-season while Konakaga jumped to Silver I from the out of 10 promo games. So definitely not playing ranked until after the pre-season. I also want to see and watch twitch streams on how the new matchmaking and ranked things go.

Because I want to play seriously in season 4. I've been thinking of Support Quints to use. For my Thresh build I'm trying to test getting 4 armor blues, 5 mr blues, 9 armor yellows, 9 damage reds and something else.

1. Flat Damage Quints
1. Armor Quints
1. Gold/10 Quints because I already have +2 gold per 10 from support masteries.

Maybe I can experiment more and see what happens?
You may want to consider MS quints - while the bonus MS won't help you catch a runner in time, it will most definitely get you in position for a proper hook, lantern or flay...and that's what supports are all about, positioning.

Also keep in mind that S4 supports will probably be able to build like other champions, so you'll (most likely) have the chance to get tanky or add some extra damage through assist streaks.
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-03, 03:49   Link #4367
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

I'm not suprised about Reginald retiring. But...Bjergsen?! What the hell...really? Then again...I did consider Bjergsen as the potential to be the best in the world at mid lane if he could find the right team to roll with. TSM got him? Yike....that is a bold move. It's an upgrade on Reginald at the very least.

The revamped Curse lineup of Voyboy/Pobelter/IWillDominate/Aphromoo/Zekent is doing quite well in the leadup to the promotion series, it seems. Considering the sponsors Curse have and Liquid's history, how they finished S3 wouldn't have been anywhere near acceptable.

Since I play support most on ranked, the prospects of where they may go in S4 is tantalising....

Hmmm, just noticed that the moment Bjergsen is in TSM, his stream numbers are now on the same level as Dyrus and Wildturtle. What a difference a brand makes...

Last edited by Last Sinner; 2013-11-03 at 05:04.
Last Sinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-07, 02:24   Link #4368
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Anyone else going to be picking up Popstar Ahri?
Old 2013-11-07, 02:37   Link #4369
CBredbeard
Banned

I'm Plat I. I started playing WoW again so I didn't drive for Diamond before the season ended.
CBredbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-07, 04:22   Link #4370
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
I don't mean to hijack the thread with another game, but LoL has pretty much reached its zenith and from now it's going to a gradual decline unless something is done. Starcraft 2 was the same where it reached it peak in mid 2011 and if you look at it now, it's quite a sad state. Don't believe me? Look at youtube vids of the audience for the WCS finals for each region. It's really pathetic and sad. Blizzard thought they were top shit and became really arragont with their game, ignoring community feedback, thinking that their game was fine whilst having the joke that was called Battle net v2.0... and now their esport scene is a mere shadow of its former self... particularly when compared to Brood War.

And that is what League of Legends is reminding me of what it could be becoming with all these people retiring left and right. Now riot is no where near as bad as Blizzard when it comes to listening to feedback and balance, but sometimes they do retarded shit... like refusing to nerf Renekton or Shen when they've been OP for god knows how long or nerfing utterly stupid shit like Garen or Rengar (again), the latter which barely found a niche role with a glass cannon build.

The other part of it is because of Dota2. Dota 2 is becoming ridiculously popular and growing at an alarming rate. It's already more popular than LoL in China and it's probably more popular than LoL in Europe now. You know why Taiwan and SEA teams have retired? Check out Dota2 scene there, it's rapidly growing. Part of it is its aggressive marketing campaign, since signficantly more money is pumped into its scene and tournament than LoL. Nexus is spondoring example has a 1.7 something million tournament in Korea to try and steal market share. That's almost as much as the World Championships for LoL. And don't get me started on the Dota 2 International prize pool... it shits on LoL's by a signficant margin (2-3x).

Now, I'm not saying either Dota 2 or LoL is a better game. They are actually quite different in gameplay and tactics. What I'm saying is that companies need to recognise and respect their competition and never underestimate. This is a dangerous time for Riot as they've pretty much reached their peak and if they want to maintain it, they need to continue giving quality customer satisfaction and be very active with the community. The day they decide be arrogant assholes ala Blizzard Diablo III/Starcraft 2 team is the day Dota 2 will sweep the market.

Will LoL become the next World of Warcraft where it begins its steady decline?

Last edited by Pocari_Sweat; 2013-11-07 at 04:36.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-07, 04:32   Link #4371
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
To be fair, SC2's failings were not completely Blizz's fault, although they have done fuckall to help esports... having big competitions rely on battle.net (lol latency) was one of the most delusional decisions ever.

The pro scene in Korea didn't help matters; especially with the whole lawsuit fiasco and their petty squabbles with Blizzard-- they were obviously seeing esports with Brood War as a cash cow to be milked dry and dead soon. They thought they might as well exploit those poor kids for all they're worth and bolt for it. I remember an epic Brood War finals between Flash and Jaedong get interrupted due to a power failure (NO UPS REALLY?) which really just shows how much they gave a fuck. Poor foundation, bad organization (asinine rules), no money, and an uncaring company ensured Sc2 pro scene was dead on arrival. Well, that and Sc2 is boring as fuck to watch, but this is offtopic I'm gonna crawl back into my hole now. I'll just congrulate the MOBA scene for not making this into a farce and putting effort into nurturing a pro scene.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-07, 05:36   Link #4372
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

I have only one thing to say on that matter, Pocari.

Dota2 is on Steam.

Steam has mainly been nothing but headaches, pathetically bloated downloads that cancel and restart, denial of things I bought, or doesn't work for months on end. Bastion, LA Noire and Miasmata have been the only good things I ever got out of Steam.

In simpler terms - LoL works on my computer. Dota2 doesn't...The choice is pretty freaking simple for me already. On top of that, LoL has a representative community in Oceania. Have yet to see anything significant emerge from the Dota2 community here.

And as a person who played Dota1 for many years...I get no enjoyment from what Dota2 is anyway. I get the absolute creeps seeing what Lina looks like, Puck sounds like, the map looks like, Puck sounds like, the narrator sounds like, Puck sounds like, etc. To those that like it - good luck to them. I wouldn't play Dota2 even if it was the last game on earth. I get no enjoyment from playing it, watching it, those that cast it. It simply has more marketing potential due to Steam and related sponsors.

And when it comes to me and marketing - I couldn't give any flocks about the marketing-dominated 2013 anime year. I certainly can't give any flocks about the marketing-dominated 2013 gaming year.

And here's what I think about marketing.

Each to their own. I'm sticking with LoL.
Old 2013-11-07, 06:30   Link #4373
Pocari_Sweat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Sinner View Post
I have only one thing to say on that matter, Pocari.

Dota2 is on Steam.

Steam has mainly been nothing but headaches, pathetically bloated downloads that cancel and restart, denial of things I bought, or doesn't work for months on end. Bastion, LA Noire and Miasmata have been the only good things I ever got out of Steam.
The indie scene on Steam makes its admirable. The fact that independent titles are getting more recognision than ever because of its makes it quite hard to hate Steam. Titles like Amnesia, Bastion, Legends of Grimrock, To The Moon and the like, those are some of my favourite games in past years and they were all able to happen and be marketed because of Steam. Yes, steam like every other corporate fuck that an be assholes sometimes, but big corporations are impossible to not be assholes.

Quote:
On top of that, LoL has a representative community in Oceania. Have yet to see anything significant emerge from the Dota2 community here.
You do realise that Dota2 had Australian and oceanic servers way before LoL did. LoL only got theirs only a few months ago.

Quote:
And as a person who played Dota1 for many years...I get no enjoyment from what Dota2 is anyway. I get the absolute creeps seeing what Lina looks like, Puck sounds like, the map looks like, Puck sounds like, the narrator sounds like, Puck sounds like, etc. To those that like it - good luck to them. I wouldn't play Dota2 even if it was the last game on earth. I get no enjoyment from playing it, watching it, those that cast it.
Like I said, the two games are completely different. Not just in aesthetics and general "look" but in gameplay and tactics. There is no "strict" meta in dota2, though there are popular strategies. In LoL, it's pretty fixed with the whole 1 top, 1 mid, 1 jungle, 2 bot meta. Occasionally you get new ways to play the game like the 2v1 top/bot lane switch which has been very common this season but it's nothing as wacky as something like double jungle or trilanes in dota. Also dota is revolved around one or two "carries", whilst LoL is akin to a RPG/mmo party format of a tank/healer(support)/dps. Gonna be even more so next season with junglers and supports getting more gold.

Quote:
And when it comes to me and marketing - I couldn't give any flocks about the marketing-dominated 2013 anime year. I certainly can't give any flocks about the marketing-dominated 2013 gaming year.
Except LoL gets a lot of flak for being a "casual" moba, the "call of duty" of moba etc. Excuse me for being a little mean, but there is a bit of irony in your statement because of that that. Of course, I ignore idiots who blindly bash the game since it's just as complicated and complex at the top tier as dota2, it just has a easier entry level and much less "snowballing".

My honest reason for following LoL is very simple and it's less to do with it being "a better game" or whatever. It's the fact that Koreans play it and it's the esport in the spotlight at the moment. And Koreans take esports very very seriously. Once LoL is knocked off as the premiere e-sport, I'm going to whatever game that may be as long as it's respectable. I'm a follower of e-sports, not particular games. It was starcraft 2 before it went completely down the toilet and the scene died, and I'm afraid that unless LoL shapes up it may follow in its footsteps.

Last edited by Pocari_Sweat; 2013-11-07 at 06:44. Reason: Fixed some bad typos
Old 2013-11-07, 06:55   Link #4374
frivolity
My posts are frivolous

I'm not so sure that Dota 2 is going to take over LoL. I actually think it's the reverse. The current situation is that there's a huge DotA 1 community in the Asian region. In fact, "huge" doesn't even cut it - the DotA 1 population in China alone far exceeds the number of Dota 2 players in the world. The key question is where will these players migrate to?

Based on what I've read on various forums, including Chinese ones, LoL is gaining a lot of traction in China, with ACE (Association of China Esports) organising many tournaments with huge prize pools. LoL in China is also distributed by Tencent, one of the Chinese conglomerates with extensive influence over the Chinese online industry. Dota 2, on the other hand, has been slow to grow in China because its distributor, Perfect World, is less influential and has repeatedly delayed the opening of the Chinese server until recently.

Those of us who grew up playing DotA 1 in either China or the SEA region will remember how DotA 1 was the top game in LAN shops 5 to 10 years ago. When I used to go for LAN outings with my friends every other weekend, at least 90% of the computers were plugged into DotA games, while the remaining 10% featured brief rounds of CS 1.6 or CS Source in between the long DotA games. That seems to have changed today, with LoL slowly but surely edging out both Dota's among the younger generation. DotA appears to be limited to us slightly older folks who no longer have the time to frequent those shops anymore. If things don't change, then LoL will fully take over in another 5 to 10 years.

In my view, Doto's development may not be on the right path either. Volvo's updates have been extremely sparse over the past year. Several heroes from DotA 1 remain unported, there is no ranked mode, matchmaking is atrocious (Dendi matched against a newbie with only two wins), and events have been poorly done or non-existent. One of the only few things that Doto has done better than LoL is that TI3 was much better entertainment than the S3 Worlds, but even this may not be sustainable as Volvo has indicated that there'll only be around 5 TI's, after which they'll take a hands-off approach to competitive Doto.

One thing to bear in mind is that Volvo is a producer of many games. The impression that I get is that Dota 2 is merely a vehicle for them to promote their Steam platform and attract a larger playerbase to buy their other games. Riot, on the other hand, produces only one game, and they live and die by that one game. Unlike Blizzard, who can still rely on WoW as a cash cow if SC2 doesn't do well, Riot has nothing if LoL fails. They have every incentive to keep their players happy so that the game can keep going and they can maintain the value of their shares. As for Volvo, they've already achieved their target after getting millions to download Steam and can already reallocate manpower away from Dota 2 back to their other games.

As for me, I personally started on DotA 1 ten years ago. I switched to Dota 2 last year and only decided to try out LoL 3 months ago when I had nothing better to do. I haven't looked back so far.

Btw Volvo, ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Give DIRETIDE.

Edit: Another very important factor is that Doto has IceFrog, while LoL's balancing team is terrible. However, some of the recent patch changes in Dota 2 seem to suggest that IceFrog's influence over game balance is starting to diminish. For example, the change to Strygwyr that removed the MS cap is extremely difficult to code in DotA 1 because 522 max ms is hardcoded into the WC3 engine. This is most likely the reason why 6.79 hasn't been released in DotA 1 yet. I find it very difficult to believe that IceFrog would initiate a change like that, especially since patches have historically been released first as a DotA 1 map before being updated in Dota 2.

Goeben Alaska Hood Albacore Archerfish

Lexington Hornet Taihou Ranger Surcouf

Wichita Houston Sirius Yuubari Brooklyn

Ikazuchi Hibiki Aviere Akizuki Suzutsuki

Last edited by frivolity; 2013-11-07 at 07:23.
frivolity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-07, 08:40   Link #4375
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocari_Sweat View Post
You do realise that Dota2 had Australian and oceanic servers way before LoL did. LoL only got theirs only a few months ago.
And you realise that LoL is the one which actually had proper tournaments in Oceania this year and had a team at the Wildcard qualifiers? And if you actually bothered to meet people in person that are in the top tier in Oceania, you'd have a clue as to why LoL got such a jump on Dota2 in Oceania in the tournament scene this year. But as you said...

Quote:
My honest reason for following LoL is very simple and it's less to do with it being "a better game" or whatever. It's the fact that Koreans play it and it's the esport in the spotlight at the moment.
Aka your motivations are very different. Fair enough.

Let 2014 shows what happens. Doomsday predictions for anything are so freaking commonplace these days, they're beyond old.
Old 2013-11-07, 08:53   Link #4376
Pocari_Sweat

Apologies if I came out much harsher than I intended it to be. Must be just having a bad week or something.

I'm just really annoyed at Riot atm because I'm seeing the same patterns that Blizzard made with Starcraft 2 two years ago, and if they seriously don't fix their shit, then the same ultimatum is going to happen to them. Just 3 years ago Starcraft Brood War was still the bigshot esport and that had been going on for almost 10 years. It died when MBCgame decided to quit the esports scene and OGN completely switched over to Starcraft 2. SC2 lasted merely two years before it went to the shitter.

On another note, I'm sick and tired of the various fanboys of each game getting at each other necks. Elitists and numerous youtube game channels calling LoL a noob and casual game, and idiots saying that LoL is the best thing ever and that if you disagree you're opinion is invalid (this reminds me of a certain anime fangroup *cough Kyoani fanboys *cough).

I come from a SC:BW, Dota 1, Company of Heroes, Starcraft 2, Dota 2 (very briefly) and now a LoL background... so all this "better game" or sides business has no effect on me. My desire is for esports to grow, and to do that everyone and every game needs to co-operate and also support all viable competitions, as long as they are "good" games.

Last edited by Pocari_Sweat; 2013-11-07 at 09:20.
Old 2013-11-07, 09:15   Link #4377
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocari_Sweat View Post
On another note, I'm sick and tired of the various fanboys of each game getting at each other necks. Elitists and numerous youtube game channels calling LoL a noob and casual game, and idiots saying that LoL is the best thing ever and that if you disagree you're opinion is invalid (this reminds me of a certain anime fangroup *cough Kyoani fanboys *cough).
And why do you care about the opinions of others? This is a narcissistic, self-centred, pragmatic, money-driven modern world and online is a medium where anonymity encourages elitism and invalidating any conflicting view to one's perfect dream world, because there is no consequence behind the shroud of anonymity or any forced obligation to be considerate of others.

Be more concerned about what you can affect/bring about in the world rather than the countless others who don't give a damn or those squandering their fortune. Value your own stance in a way that doesn't lower your integrity.
Old 2013-11-09, 18:30   Link #4378
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Updated list of new items and season 4 changes.
Old 2013-11-12, 03:47   Link #4379
Pocari_Sweat

http://oce.leagueoflegends.com/node/8415

Smart move Riot. Don't let any other moba let alone esport take an inch into the nation that is the hub of esports.
Old 2013-11-12, 06:22   Link #4380
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Sinner View Post
Surprisingly nobody here really commented on this.

The new Philosopher's Stone (both variants) is absolutely H U G E.
Massive buff to Shurelya and Wota.
Shard of True Ice is finally useful.
Ohmwrecker might see some play now that its price has been lowered.

Trinkets are an interesting concept.
Vision wards - now limited to 1 per map. What the f.
Eisdrache is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
league of legends, lol