AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2010-11-26, 16:33   Link #1
Crazy Aido
Spastic Fantastic

Paper RPG's?

Just a general fishing question.

Anyone here play many RPG's?

I've done a lot of WHFRP and am currently trying to run Deathwatch, but I've lots of preciously horded XP with other games.

What's your game?
Crazy Aido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-26, 17:15   Link #2
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
You meant pen & paper RPGs? Because people here will generally understand RPGs as computer or console RPGs.

I used to play AD&D2 (homebrew universe and Dark Sun), Star Wars, Stormbringer, Vampire, Mutant Chornicles, Warhammer, Legend of the Five Rings, Maléfices, Fading Suns, Shadowrun and Kult. For those I remember to have played.

Most of them were one-shots.

Excepted Star Wars, AD&D2, Mutant Chronicles, Vampire and Legend of the Five Rings. Those have given campains.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-26, 18:08   Link #3
Crazy Aido
Spastic Fantastic

Yes, I mean pen and paper. Sorry, it would need clarifying.

I would have like to have played the old vampire the masquerade. Just for the joy of spontaniously combusting in sunlight as opposed to just sparkling.
Old 2010-11-26, 22:59   Link #4
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Use to do Star Wars D6, and AD&D. Became GM by default when people started getting married and moving away. Actually did an adventure with some of the other old-timers Wednesday night. Felt good to play again but unfortunately those days are over.
justinstrife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-26, 23:58   Link #5
cheyannew
PolyPerson!

I've been doing pen/paper RPGs for over 20 years hehe

Started with D&D (before it was AD&D), and branched off into various Palladium titles (Rifts, TMNT, Heroes, Palladium Fantasy etc), Talislanta, AD&D 2nd-4th edition, Cyberpunk and my fave, Amber DRPG (diceless RPG).

I never played the Vampire/Werewolf themed ones, or things like Shadowrun (though we almost did a Shadowrun game).

I admit, I stopped playing them as much once MMO's came out, but still have a regular group I play with when the mood hits us, which my son just joined, at 13 (he's older than I was when I started but we won't hold that against him).

I enjoy my MMOs, but I adore pen/paper RPGs too ESPECIALLY AmberDRPG!!

RIFT | Division | Side 7 Art Archive
cheyannew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-27, 00:01   Link #6
GundamFan0083

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Aido View Post

I've done a lot of WHFRP and am currently trying to run Deathwatch, but I've lots of preciously horded XP with other games.

What's your game?
Yes, I was a big fan of dice and paper RPG back in the 1980s.

I used to play a whole slew of games: Palladium RIFTS, Beyond the Supernatural and ROBOTECH rpgs, d6 Star Wars, FASA Battletech and Star Trek, Mark Miller's Traveler and Megatraveller, Mekton, 1st & 2nd Addition AD&D, and my own homebrew system which I'm now currently uploading (as fast as time allows) to be used for free online (D30 RPG).

I also used to do Play-by-post at various online websites during the late 1990s as time would allow.
Got out of it about ten years ago, and am now in a position where I can get involved again.
Old 2010-11-27, 13:50   Link #7
Dralha

Quote:

What's your game?
I used to play a ton of 'em: D&D (1st, 2nd, 3rd) in various settings (homebrew, Dragonlance, Forgotten Realms, Dark Sun, Greyhawk, Oriental Adventures); Deadlands; Traveller; Star Wars (d6 and d20 versions); Call of Cthulhu (d100 and d20 versions); Twilight 2000; MechWarrior (Battletech RPG); the old Vampire - The Masquerade ... probably a few more.

The gaming group stayed together for about ten years, with people coming and going, but eventually everyone moved and married and all that, and it just poofed. I played on a virtual tabletop called Fantasygrounds for awhile, but nowadays I'm content with all those old CRPG's from GOG.com (just finished Baldur's Gate last week).
Old 2010-11-27, 15:45   Link #8
Crazy Aido
Spastic Fantastic

Nooooooooooooo!

I don't wanna stop playing RPG's...

It geifs me a happy.

Anyone have a favourite NPC they made?
Old 2010-11-27, 16:50   Link #9
Yuno
Balanced Diet

I started off playing D&D in my first year of highschool. A friend suggested it to me when he read my stories saying I could be a good DM. I read the book and made my own worlds to play on. It was a lot of fun until I became popular at the time. I would have people at the games club on a "waiting list" so they can play one of my campaigns. It was embarrassing, but also uplifting.

Other than D&D I haven't played anything else, it was always D&D. Sadly I haven't really played it for four years. I'd love to DM a group again when I get my life straightened out. It would be a lot of fun and I have quite a lot of ideas. I did try the Star Wars one briefly, but I was always bogged down by players arguing over the lore. It got boring really fast.
Yuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-28, 15:01   Link #10
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Tons!

I played and ran games of:

Advanced Dungeons & Dragons 2nd Ed.
Dungeons & Dragons 3rd Ed.
RIFTS
World of Darkness
GURPS (various original settings)

Additionally, in high school, I even wrote my own original pen & paper RPG ruleset. It's in a spiral notebook somewhere in storage. Maybe one day I'll dig it out, type it up and toss it on a wiki. See what a bunch of folks can do with it. Open-source tabletop RPG sounds good to me.
Old 2010-11-28, 22:58   Link #11
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

AD&D 1/2/3.0 ... Call of Cthulhu ... a bit of Shadowrun.

But basically time and space are issues anymore - what tabletop gaming we do tends to be strategic (e.g. Shogun), modern (e.g. Blokus), or traditional (Mah Jong). We have a neverending hunt at the house for marginally decent roleplay in MMOs and that's gotten ridiculously challenging.
Old 2010-11-29, 12:18   Link #12
Crazy Aido
Spastic Fantastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
AD&D 1/2/3.0 ... Call of Cthulhu ... a bit of Shadowrun.

But basically time and space are issues anymore - what tabletop gaming we do tends to be strategic (e.g. Shogun), modern (e.g. Blokus), or traditional (Mah Jong). We have a neverending hunt at the house for marginally decent roleplay in MMOs and that's gotten ridiculously challenging.
Never gonna happen dude...

"Lo, I am Seferus, Lord of the..."

"Lol leik cn I borrw 2g of u I'll totly pai u back OMG wat u doin RP is gay."

*Seferus has gone offline in despair*
Old 2010-11-29, 19:18   Link #13
cheyannew
PolyPerson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I suggest Lord of the Rings Online; they seem to have a few decent RPers; I know there's some people I work w/ @ Bioware who are on the unofficial Rp server, I'll find out which one that is for you, if you like. LotRO is also free to play

Star Wars: The Old Republic, I assume will also have a large RP following, as we're focusing more on story than "uberness" But you'll have to wait a while for that

RIFT | Division | Side 7 Art Archive
cheyannew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-04, 11:53   Link #14
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:

Anyone have a favourite NPC they made?
Do you mean in the protagonists or the antagonists side?

In AD&D2, the antagonists were not particularly memorable, in fact, it was the final boss, a Tarrasque, who was memorable. Its like running Nanoha A's where the defense program got more developped than the Wolkies. What the players remembers was that elven princess who was archeologist, she was a bro for most of the players and did not hesitate to put her foot down on some matters, without being an utter jerk about it. A bro, really.

In Mutant Chronicles, they do remember the Nepharite Samoth (yes named after the musician from Emperor). Samoth was memorable for his persistance and tenacy that could lead to a long time feud between the player characters and him over THREE GENERATIONS of characters (children and grandchildren of player characters taking the torch of the war against Samoth).

AD&D2 and Mutant Chronicles were my first things where I inserted musical references where I see it fit.

This social group needs more loving by the way

http://forums.animesuki.com/group.php?groupid=42
Old 2010-12-04, 13:09   Link #15
hanamiman

Send a message via MSN to hanamiman
D&D.
I don't know what kind, ad&d or whatever - Though I used to play it for a long time.
I used to have all the books of v. 3.5, though when the 4th came out i gave up,
and just went to play in the d&d place.
hanamiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-04, 13:27   Link #16
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanamiman View Post
D&D.
I don't know what kind, ad&d or whatever - Though I used to play it for a long time.
I used to have all the books of v. 3.5, though when the 4th came out i gave up,
and just went to play in the d&d place.
If you see THAC0, Stats limit being 25, it is Dungeons & Dragons before 3.0.
Old 2010-12-04, 22:24   Link #17
Tiran86

Been playing D&D since I was 12 or so (I'm 24). Don't play much lately, but I'd like to get back into it.
Tiran86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-05, 02:53   Link #18
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Never gonna happen dude...

"Lo, I am Seferus, Lord of the..."

*Seferus has gone offline in despair*
Oh its possible, I belong to guilds on a couple of MMOs that do a fair job of RP. It really doesn't require much work to affect some mannerism, to only say what the character would know, and so forth. My RL friends/family and I routinely stay in character when we're grouping.

Frankly, the first thing I do in most MMOs is turn off world/zone chat once I find a decent group of people. Often a chat tool's sophistication may determine whether we stick around or not (enter/leave channels, ignore, color codes, etc).

Quote:
Heh.... its awful how village idiots have to beg for money, isn't it?
Old 2010-12-10, 05:06   Link #19
FlavorOfLife
Uncaring

Played some

D&D system 1e to 3.5, started but gave up on 4, d20 modern, Pathfinder
Palladium system - Ninjas and Superspies, Heros unlimited, Robotech, Rifts
Battletech - Mechwarrior 1 to 3
Dragon warriors
Marvel Super Heroes (FASERIP system)
FlavorOfLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-10, 12:23   Link #20
Shikabane_Hime
108 Shikabane to destroy

My friends and I still play the old school D&D. I think the most current book we use is Monster Manual 4. It's been so long since we've actually gotten around to a campaign that I can't remember.

Tags
rpg