AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Myself; Yourself

Notices

View Poll Results: Myself; Yourself - Episode 13 (END) Rating
Perfect 10 43 18.61%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 38 16.45%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 39 16.88%
7 out of 10 : Good 52 22.51%
6 out of 10 : Average 23 9.96%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 7 3.03%
4 out of 10 : Poor 11 4.76%
3 out of 10 : Bad 6 2.60%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 3 1.30%
1 out of 10 : Painful 9 3.90%
Voters: 231. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-12-27, 03:11   Link #121
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkuatic View Post
The Perfect 13 series anime ever imo. The ending wasn't anything cheesy, lacking in detail, or a hanger yet it satisfied the heart's desires and overall my favorite anime.
Um? That was sarcasm right? You need to use a little smilie to let us know.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2007-12-27, 03:22   Link #122
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa View Post
Meh. I'd have been more upset if only the show had been otherwise better.
For me it was one final slap in the face from a constantly insulting series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyWuzzy View Post
I think people are forgetting something about this ending.
I'm just glad they gave the anime a happy ending. It could have been a school days ending or something worse- a really really sad ending.
Nanaka could have died, Sana could have gone insane, the twins could have been in an accident and died, etc.
So I'm pretty satisfied with the way it all turned out. It felt like the anime still needs a little more but I'm just glad it ended happily.
Now if the anime ef- a tale of memories would be subbed so I could watch the ending before new year then my year would be complete.
Look, I have no problems with a happy ending. With the right script, a happy ending could have been fitting, given these characters. My problem is that it was totally abrupt. One second, Sana was trying to counsel Nanaka about her suicide attempt... the next, it's ten years later and everyone's life is perfect. Sana's last line before the timeskip was: "When I think of that I... I get really scared". Yeah, that's all resolved .

A lot happens in ten years, and, given the state of these characters where they left off before the timeskip, it'd be turbulent to say the least. For whatever reason (lazy scriptwriting almost certainly being one of them), they've skipped all of that. That's a real disservice to these characters. You can't just go from having the characters as totally messed up as they were (two of them had just attempted suicide for God's sake, at least within the last year, I assume), and then have a happily ever after in the very next scene.

Yes, it was the last episode, so they needed to end it somehow. If they had jumped to a month from now and shown the characters on the road to recovery, I might have had a better chance swallowing it. But ten years from now, and everyone living perfect lives? Then what the hell was the point of everything that happened before? Did it just have no impact on their lives?
Old 2007-12-27, 03:36   Link #123
Darkside

Send a message via AIM to Darkside
I fear i'm becoming used to endings like these recently -_-
Old 2007-12-27, 03:40   Link #124
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkside View Post
I fear i'm becoming used to endings like these recently -_-
You need to watch better anime. Try ef - a tale of memories. It was the best romance anime of the season, hands down. Disclaimer: If you don't turn on your brain, you won't enjoy it.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2007-12-27, 03:43   Link #125
Supah Em
WHO DO YOU THINK WE ARE?!
*Scanlator

i second ef-a tale of memories

it kinda deviates from the usual 'open ended/nothing resolved' romance animes that
plagued 2007. It kinda wraps up everything in the end

on another note, time skips are really not my type of story because it lefts out many
important details. ( also the twin's relationship was not explicitly explained and wait...
it took our male protagonist 10 years to propose. in an anime perspective it counts as
a lifetime in reality, but that's just me )
Old 2007-12-27, 03:49   Link #126
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
I'd add the bits with Yuzuki-sensei and her caramels to that list. Overall, I think that Myself, Yourself was much more successful when it concentrated on light-hearted storytelling than when it tried to go the heavy drama route at the end. I rather like drama and melodrama, but the execution in this show was off-putting, and it wasn't as entertaining as it should have been. In many ways, Nanaka was the most poorly executed character, and this served to drag the rest of the show down.
Hm, indeed - Yuzuki-sensei had brief screentime, but it was actually nicely executed. It is funny now that i think about it - this show seems more successful when it comes to anyone but the "main pair" ... coupled that with the fact it indeed falls flat where drama is concerned as you said, and we have a recipe for a failure.

Honestly, of all the people in the show Nanaka and Sana had the worst dynamics between them with a very scattered focus, and we end up with what we got - an end that leaves you wanting. This show had the elements to be good, but the way those were put together doesn't make it even an inch above average, even if that much.
Old 2007-12-27, 03:52   Link #127
Grimkill7
Inattentive Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
...and we end up with what we got - an end that leaves you wanting.
Well then the anime was a success. It was just an expensive advertisement after all.
Old 2007-12-27, 03:54   Link #128
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Oh well, I still love this anime for certain episodes which I thought were the best I've seen in anime.
Old 2007-12-27, 03:59   Link #129
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimkill7 View Post
Well then the anime was a success. It was just an expensive advertisement after all.
I don't think so. I'm left thinking that the story is simply lacking consistency and value. That would not inspire me to purchase the game just because I hope that it would be better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
Oh well, I still love this anime for certain episodes which I thought were the best I've seen in anime.
As I said to Darkside, you need to watch better anime.

There were some nice scenes, but honestly all they did was raise my expectations and then fail on the follow through. Those scenes made me think that the series was going to have great episodes, but the best episodes were only decent when compared to the best episodes I've seen in other shows.

Old 2007-12-27, 04:06   Link #130
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
As I said to Darkside, you need to watch better anime. Your standards should be higher.

There were some nice scenes, but honestly all they did was raise my expectations and then fail on the follow through. Those scenes made me think that the series was going to have great episodes, but the best episodes were only pretty good.
Listen to him, he speaks truth.

Hmm, for some reason I couldn't make it past the first ep of Ef~ tales... Perhaps I'll give it another shot.
Old 2007-12-27, 04:08   Link #131
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimkill7 View Post
I didn't mean that in a way that makes me want to find out something more about the title - i will be happy to never touch it again It left me wanting for an ending that held an actual meaning and did justice for the characters, no matter how poorly constructed many of them were. I am certainly not buying the game just to find out if it is better by any chance; there are much safer investments than this.
Old 2007-12-27, 04:11   Link #132
rg4619

Quote:
Cross-promotion =/= advertising

The anime is only successful if enough people buy the DVDs so that they turn a profit. If viewers become interested in the game, that's merely a bonus for Yeti Software/Regista (and otherwise inconsequential to most production partners, such as the animation studio and sponsors. Make no mistake: this is still a project that needs to succeed on its own merits).

Last edited by rg4619; 2007-12-27 at 04:21.
Old 2007-12-27, 04:11   Link #133
Sassarai
Army of One

Bad ending to a mediocre series None of the characters made an impact on me. I was hoping Sana's story would be more dramatic. The whole suicide speech scene felt so corny to me.

Last edited by Sassarai; 2007-12-27 at 04:30.
Old 2007-12-27, 04:47   Link #134
Stretch5920

Overall it was a pretty average series, but I liked some of the characters and the plot twists. It would have been better if they shortened the loli arc and spent more time on Sana and Nanaka stories, instead of the rush job. I liked this more than e.f though, that show is so damn predictable I had to drop it.
Old 2007-12-27, 05:11   Link #135
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

I guess this show is still getting bashed left and right..

I agree with folks who says the longer episode count could've done this show better justice. Some arcs felt too short such as Aoi's, and we could've even seen some more of Shu/Shuri and Asami in the meantime.

As for the episode, I thought it was very well done to the spirit of the show itself. Sure, it's all melodramatic and the twists come almost for the sake of being revealed, but that straightforward aspect of the show was the draw for me. It was a few steps away from being truly a great show, but I still had a ton of fun watching it. Definitely not the arthouse showcase ef or the straight shooter Clannad is, but I'll still miss it.
Old 2007-12-27, 05:47   Link #136
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

Did Aoi have an arc?
Old 2007-12-27, 05:53   Link #137
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_moon View Post
Did Aoi have an arc?
Nope, the script writer clearly felt it was fine to give her no real development. We get her personality and that's it...

Crap, my keyboard's "g" broke...

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
Old 2007-12-27, 05:56   Link #138
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_moon View Post
Did Aoi have an arc?
Aoi was shafted. She didn't have an arc, a passable voice actress, or even much of a personality. All she got was a huge blob of moe-ness.

Old 2007-12-27, 06:18   Link #139
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Quote:
Aoi was shafted. She didn't have an arc, a passable voice actress, or even much of a personality. All she got was a huge blob of moe-ness.
She had a mini-mini-arc if anything. I guess it doesn't count since it didn't encompass an episode.

Also, I thought Aoi was strangely attractive with her crazy voice and the whole 'kid in adult's body' thing going. She could've been a blast in Minami-ke
Old 2007-12-27, 06:44   Link #140
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

It was average from the start. So also expect an average ending. Im happy they atleast went for the average happy ending. It had all the cliche's and it kept the same pace. It was a nice watch imo. If you are disapointed with this ending. You probably overrated this series from the start.

/me is waiting for the final ep of ef.
Closed Thread