AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-06-08, 07:03   Link #1
mariaxxanne

Yuri/Shoujo-ai

Alrighty. Well, I'm looking for Yuri/Shoujo-ai anime. Any genre (romance, harem, school/life, adventure, ect..) would be nice, as long as it has a decent story.

Animes I have seen
Strawberry Panic
Simoun
Burst Angel

lol. Yeah, not much.

Even if the anime only has subtle hints of shoujo-ai or yuri, thats perfectly fine.

Thanks in advance!
Old 2008-06-08, 07:14   Link #2
Sephi
Thinking outside the box
*Graphic Designer

Maria-sama ga miteru School life and some romance to i guess. Quite a slow anime imo. But a enjoyable anime to watch nonetheless.

Yami to Boushi to Hon no Tabibito I personally didn't like the anime myself. But it does meet your requirements(adventure, romance). And some people liked it. But see for yourself.

Kannazuki no Miko Haven't saw it myself yet. But might be worth giving a try

Currently watching: Aria the Origination & Dennou Coil
Sephi: Anime Icons | Signatures & Avatars | Renders
Old 2008-06-08, 07:53   Link #3
Echoes

I have seen very few yuri animes personally, but Blue Drop was enjoyable. It's a sci-fi, slice of life thing, with some romance.
Old 2008-06-08, 08:11   Link #4
Phantasmagoria
*Author

Kannazuki no Miko, Blue Drop and Maria-sama ga Miteru.

I strongly recommend KnM as it qualifies to be labelled as Yuri.
The other 2 remains subtle, so you might want to start off with them first.
Old 2008-06-08, 08:29   Link #5
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Mnemosyne has a number of yuri sequences in and out of the bedroom and at least one yuri-tinged torture session as well. Lots of nudity, lots of blood, lots of gore packaged with a pretty good story and intriguing characters. You'll know midway through the first episode whether this is a show for you or not.

Oh, there's also a potential lesbian pairing in Hidamari Sketch, though it's very understated. It's made a bit more explicit in the OVAs where it's played more for laughs than in the televised episodes.

There's also a cute, though brief female pairing in Moyashimon; the scene is immortalized in my signature.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2008-06-08 at 09:27. Reason: Hidamari Sketch/Moyashimon
Old 2008-06-08, 08:48   Link #6
Autumn Demon
~

besides strawberry panic, the only full blown yuri anime i know of is kasimasi ~girl meets girl~, and that's debatable.

more subtle yuri:
maria-sama ga miteru
yami to boushi to hon no tabibito
gokujou seitokai

wouldn't even call yuri but have some yuri elements:
shoujo kakumei utena
gakuen alice
saint luminous mission high school
soukou no strain
Old 2008-06-08, 12:04   Link #7
jedinat

Do watch all three seasons of Maria-sama ga miteru. It's one of my favorite anime.

You might check out Candy Boy. I don't know the scheduling for the episodes, but two are out right now...

KURAU Phantom Memory - the relationship between the girls isn't romantic, but it is very close with no room for anyone else, and I enjoyed it for that...
Old 2008-06-09, 03:02   Link #8
Shinbou
Ka-na-me...^^

Send a message via MSN to Shinbou
These both are about boys turning or dressing like a girl and the girl's fall in love with them.
It looks weird when i explain it like this i was thinking at the beginning like "ew" but it turned out pretty good.

Kashimashi ~Girl Meets Girl~: It's a boy who is in love with a girl but can't reach her, then he turns into a girl by magic (so he isnt dressed like a girl but turns into one) and more girls fall in love with him.
Otome wa Boku ni Koishiteru: It's about a boy who has to go to a all girl's school because it was his grandfather's dying wish (weird reason but...ah well). He dresses like a girl and some girl's fall in love with him. When u follow the anime you even forget some times he was a boy.

Kyoshiro to Towa no Sora: A spin off from "Kannazuki no Miko" (great anime BTW), i dropped this one because of the annoying/whining female lead, but maby you like it. It isn't all about yuri btw.
Mai hime: An anime that has an yuri paring in it, it's not all about yuri.
Steel Angel Kurumi S2: This is the second season and it says it has "shoujo-ai", but i have never seen it so i'm not sure...

Also DON'T watch Venus Versus Virus, it has an yuri tag but it's not yuri at all...they don't even fall in love.
Old 2008-06-09, 08:34   Link #9
Ichihara Asako
Horoist

Maria-sama is my favourite in the shoujo-ai category. Probably because it's very subtle and not (generally) in your face. Has a solid story and is an enjoyable school-life series.

Surprised nobody's mentioned Mai-Hime (and Otome) yet. While the leading romance is straight, there are very strong shoujo-ai vibes in many pairings, and one open one. Not to mention it's an enjoyable action/magic girl franchise. (the OVAs included)
Old 2008-06-09, 10:26   Link #10
Frans

Definitely agree with Candy Boy. I like the first episode better than the 2nd though.. maybe because the song is better
For Utena, instead of the TV version, try the movie. Definitely yuri
As for Yami to Boushi, you could also try Touka Gettan. There's an episode of Yami to Boushi in it.. and it's more yuri than Yami to Boushi... but a lot weirder.
Devilman Lady. Action anime.. kinda dark and violent.
Old 2008-06-09, 15:55   Link #11
Shinbou
Ka-na-me...^^

Send a message via MSN to Shinbou
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichihara Asako View Post
Surprised nobody's mentioned Mai-Hime (and Otome) yet. While the leading romance is straight, there are very strong shoujo-ai vibes in many pairings, and one open one. Not to mention it's an enjoyable action/magic girl franchise. (the OVAs included)

Just wanted you to know i did recommend Mai hime
Old 2008-06-10, 09:51   Link #12
Meirin
Locked Girl

For something slightly different, choose Oniisama e..., also known as Brother, Dear Brother in the English fansub.

This early 90's anime challenges several controversial themes (especially considering the original manga was published in the 1970's) including drug abuse, incest, bullying, suicide as well as the yuri factor. The story is set in a prestigious girls' highschool where the student body is obsessed with the school's Sorority and its leading members, called "The Magnificent Three". The main character, Nanako, is a new student who became caught up in the affairs of the three most popular girls in the school and, with the help of her best friends, unlocks the secrets of their past as well as that of her own family. The title refers to the letters that she writes to her "brother" throughout the series, sharing with him the trials and tribulations of her highschool life.

While this series can be dark and depressing at times, it is not without its comedic moments. I felt the ending was uplifting and very satisfying, and I warmly recommend this series.
Old 2008-06-11, 12:51   Link #13
SinsI

If you want yuri you might like Otenki Oneesan http://anidb.net/a907. It's listed as hentai, but really has only a couple seconds of explicit content, concentrating on the story instead.
Old 2008-06-28, 01:02   Link #14
markesellus
Undercover Mole
*Graphic Designer

Lots of good ones here I see, I'd suggest Negima only one implied pairing though people always find more. Oniisama e you have to download through bittorrent and can't find anywhere else. But still very good. I STRONGLY suggest Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha. At first I was weirded out because its starts off when they are little (8) but then the last season they are in their 20's. Many characters, many pairings, and depending on how you interpret the characters, you can get any pairing you want. Fate and Nanoha is implied and the biggest ship but there are MANY more.

Old 2008-06-28, 17:46   Link #15
Phlaw
Romance Anime Demi-God

Send a message via AIM to Phlaw
I don't really remember there being a Yuri couple in Negima. Unless its further in the manga, as i've only read a couple chapters. As far as the anime goes, there really isn't one. Or one that is significant to call Yuri anyhow.

Unless your talking about the Original Japanese Negima. For some reason, when i rented it (English Dubbed) from my local anime store, the first 5 episodes were almost completly different from the 5 (Japanese Sub'd) i had downloaded a long time ago, which confused me to no end. but w/e
Old 2008-06-29, 01:48   Link #16
markesellus
Undercover Mole
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phlaw View Post
I don't really remember there being a Yuri couple in Negima. Unless its further in the manga, as i've only read a couple chapters. As far as the anime goes, there really isn't one. Or one that is significant to call Yuri anyhow.

Unless your talking about the Original Japanese Negima. For some reason, when i rented it (English Dubbed) from my local anime store, the first 5 episodes were almost completly different from the 5 (Japanese Sub'd) i had downloaded a long time ago, which confused me to no end. but w/e
Really? I'd say there was Konoka and Setsuna implications. Or you can go look up the fanfiction for more Yuri, because there is a lot . Apparently it does go deeper in the manga but I haven't read it either . Though I'd say subtitles are always better but I don't see why they would change the actual episode and plot.
Unless you got Negima!? and Magister Magi Negi mixed up.

Old 2008-06-29, 07:52   Link #17
mdauben

Seems like the previous posters have the subject pretty well covered. The only title I could think to add would be El Cazador de la bruja, which has a sort of shoujo-ai theme going between the two main characters.

Old 2008-06-29, 19:10   Link #18
neqael
World Destruction Commit.

Well it would to be worth to mention two earlier works by the same director - Noir and Madlax. Both have some subtle shoujo-ai elements.
Old 2008-06-29, 21:01   Link #19
markesellus
Undercover Mole
*Graphic Designer

Very true, I love those, though thinking about it, if you wanted to you can make any show have some kind of Yuri in it... as long as it has girl characters Oh there is also Kiddy Grade. Subtle, but cool action. A big plot twist as well.

For some reason I want to keep this thread slightly active. There aren't many posts and I know a lot more people like Yuri.

Old 2008-06-30, 00:08   Link #20
Dusk_
Forever Fallen

Send a message via MSN to Dusk_
I think .hack//sign would qualify. I mean, the yuri pairing is actually canon.
Closed Thread

Tags
shoujo-ai, yuri