AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-10-05, 08:40   Link #101
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
^To be honest, I think the episode and characters were good as it is. Dunno about being bland but tbh I can't see how comedy would fit into this series. '' Serious '' series once in a while isn't a bad thing.
Old 2010-10-05, 08:54   Link #102
LKK

The comedy comes from the banter between the characters rather than from any physical actions. Yakumo has a biting wit that he doesn't hesitate to use against Haruka or the cop, Gotou. Haruka doesn't say too many of her cutting thoughts out loud. (She's too well-bred for that.) But her reaction thoughts to Yakumo can be quite sarcastic. Meanwhile, Yakumo and Gotou have a running battle of wits whenever they meet. The episode gave us some pieces of the comic interplay. Sarcastic references to Yakumo as a cat. Gotou's hints about Yakumo finally almost getting a girlfriend. But there's a lot more banter that accompanies this case that was dropped due to episode time limits. In the novel and the manga, the case is still treated seriously, but there's more down time between the incidents that allows for more comic banter.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous

Last edited by LKK; 2010-10-05 at 08:56. Reason: corrected spelling of Gotou's name
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-05, 09:43   Link #103
PreSage
Strangely dependable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinn View Post
Hmm which part of the music onoD sang, because I can't tell I rly like the OP
OnoD sings the OP, I think. I never knew he sings.

[/TH][/TR][/table]
PreSage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-05, 10:08   Link #104
Sinn
Pwnage

Well, I'm fine with series without the comedy. Though when I mean bland i mean Yakumo being that dark, cool guy with a heart of gold, and that's it about his character. As for Haruka...well... she's just that uninteresting.

That's my honest opinion, of course I'm just gonna continue watching to see what happens, maybe so the characters will grow on me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreSage View Post
OnoD sings the OP, I think. I never knew he sings.
Yeah but which part of the OP though, all of them Oh well nevermind.
Old 2010-10-05, 11:40   Link #105
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Liking Haruka's manga form a lot more then her anime form but aside from that epi 1 was good. OnoD as Yakumo is pure win, why hello there Sebastian. Love Yakumo's little quirk

I forgot how much half the characters in this remind me of Ghost Hunt characters
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-05, 13:52   Link #106
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Watched the first episode. "It's not too bad" is all the praise I can muster for this show as of episode 1. To be honest, I've yet to see a detective/mystery show I've liked where the word "Shinrei aka Psychic" is associated somewhere in the title. The different eye color to signify the main character's special traits adds to the dampener. The first ten minutes were still enjoyable. Unfortunately, the exposition of the mystery took a back seat to flesh out how awesome this dude with different eye color is. I feel we could have used a bit more concentration on the mystery itself so things like the motif behind why this guy was killing these girls could have come to picture.

I also think the fans of this show who are excited to see the anime adaptation lucked out when Bee Train became the Animation Production Company. They have couple of good series under their belt, but most of their productions ranges from average to below average in terms of their ability to bring a story in the animated format.

Anyway, it is still too early to make a valid impression about this show, so I'll certainly watch a few more episodes.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-05, 18:14   Link #107
PreSage
Strangely dependable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinn View Post
Yeah but which part of the OP though, all of them Oh well nevermind.
Well, according to certain sources, he sings the whole OP. Although these sources could be wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Manju Bun View Post
Love Yakumo's little quirk

I forgot how much half the characters in this remind me of Ghost Hunt characters
Yakumo's sarcastic side is what I like most about him (aside from his hotness, that is ).

I keep expecting the scary, mysterious atmosphere from GH jumping out at me during the whole first episode of STY but that never came. I don't think this or any series to come will ever compare to GH's awesomeness but Yakumo eye-candy does make up for it. Anyway, I suppose it's too soon to judge...plus, with only 13 episodes, there isn't a whole lot of room for any serious plot development - which kind of sucks since this series has great potential to be a 26-episoder.

[/TH][/TR][/table]
PreSage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-05, 20:07   Link #108
fict_ticious
I can has drinks?

Watched this because a friend of mine brought up how I always whined about not having anymore Ghost Hunt and the manga's annual release schedule. He suggested checking out this title. My initial response was "lolbeetrain", but I thought I'd give it a go if it did anything to sate my hunger for some cool supernatural anime.

What I liked:
Spoiler:

What I didn't like as much:
Spoiler:

I could go on about how it is or isn't like GH, but this series should be left to stand on its own. It's proven that it can have a mix of mystery, the supernatural, and overall presentation is eye-catching. I wish I could figure out this fixation on heterochromia. I was under the impression that it was in our nature to prefer symmetry. Well, there's David Bowie. Nobody needs to really explain him.

Last edited by fict_ticious; 2010-10-05 at 20:29.
fict_ticious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-05, 21:09   Link #109
shichi-chan
Mippa~

I thought the first episode was great, and Yakumo's personality, "You really are an Idiot aren't you.." I laughed so much, I find it funny how he is so rude.
Old 2010-10-06, 06:11   Link #110
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

One for sure, the OST is wonderful.
Old 2010-10-06, 06:15   Link #111
Dop
Mmmm....

I really enjoyed that. OK, so the murderer was obvious, but it set the scene and introduced the characters quite nicely. Looking forward (with no knowledge of the original works) to seeing how it develops.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-06, 08:11   Link #112
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

I remember Locked Room in the manga was one of the weaker stories mystery wise since it set more on introducing Haruka and Yakumo to each other. Hoping hoping now thats aside, the mystery will get better. Looking forward to what hasnt been covered yet too
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
Old 2010-10-06, 11:01   Link #113
kitten320

I don't see how comedy would fit here... I actually would prefer series being more dark. The soundtracks were a bit too happy for me, especially at the start. Though liked the one when sisters finally met again.

OP reminded me a mix of Phantom and Death Note OP but with happier melody.

But over all episode was fine, I'll stick with the series.

P.S. When second guy with red eyes got introduced, Code Geass popped in my head.
Old 2010-10-06, 11:14   Link #114
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
I don't see how comedy would fit here....
Its hard to explain since the hurmor works well in the manga but oddly was pretty much kept out of epi 1. To use what a very easy example, the humor is mostly btwn Haruka and Yakumo and its basically how Naru and Mai react to eachother. Best way I can explain it.
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
Old 2010-10-06, 14:26   Link #115
HandofFate

Not a bad first episode, it actually concluded a little intro story of sorts, all the other shows this season just end in a "To be Continued.."

though, there is that one last scene with the guy with two red eyes. I'm curious how deep the super-natural aspects will go for this series.
Old 2010-10-06, 15:59   Link #116
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I have to agree with others. I really wanted to like this, but "bland" was pretty much the only word i could think to describe this after watching the first episode.

Though perhaps it had something to do with watching Star Driver right before this...
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-06, 16:10   Link #117
LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Though perhaps it had something to do with watching Star Driver right before this...
LOL In my opinion, there isn't much this season that wouldn't look bland when compared with a back-to-back watching of Star Driver's FABULOUSITY.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-06, 18:13   Link #118
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

i liked the first episode enough to want to watch the next one, i like op also
ars89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-07, 01:09   Link #119
DangerMouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dop View Post
I really enjoyed that. OK, so the murderer was obvious, but it set the scene and introduced the characters quite nicely. Looking forward (with no knowledge of the original works) to seeing how it develops.
Agreed, I enjoyed it as well, looking forwards to more and where it goes.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-07, 01:51   Link #120
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

This is a good show would have been better if there was more supernatural to it . Overall better than I expected but still there is quite some room for improvement . The teaser of the second episode looks promising hope more occult in it than detective work .

Tags
drama, seinen, supernatural