AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Another

Notices

View Poll Results: Another - Episode 9 Rating
Perfect 10 23 31.94%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 23 31.94%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 11 15.28%
7 out of 10 : Good 11 15.28%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 4.17%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 1.39%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-03-05, 16:08   Link #21
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Kouichi: "Don't tell what I just told you to anybody else"
Teshigawara: "Why's that?"
Kouichi: "I don't want anyone else to get involved. They might die, you know. You two can go to hell for all I care though".

Brilliant move, Kouichi. Keeping your waifus safe and getting rid of potential rivals at the same time.

That might be the episode I enjoyed the least so far. Our theories about the calamity following the extra were crushed within the first five minutes of the episode. That means we actually didn't learn anything new about the calamity last week. Nor this week, for that matter. The tape cop-out was very disappointing, that's such a cheap way to prolong the suspense. I had come to expect better out of Another.

Nevertheless, I still liked it quite bit. The visit of the old building was pretty tense. I loved how Mei trolled the guys about the Library legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKK View Post
The brother who died by crane, he wasn't the same man as the 1983 student who made the tape, i.e. the guy we met at the beach, was he? (One blogger said he was the same person, but I don't think that's right.)
Nope, not at all. I don't even know why anybody would think that. I have no idea what the last name of the cutie was, but we saw her brother at 17:58 or so, and that was clearly not Matsu.
Old 2012-03-05, 16:23   Link #22
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
That might be the episode I enjoyed the least so far. Our theories about the calamity following the extra were crushed within the first five minutes of the episode. That means we actually didn't learn anything new about the calamity last week. Nor this week, for that matter. The tape cop-out was very disappointing, that's such a cheap way to prolong the suspense. I had come to expect better out of Another.
I see no reason to assume Chibiki is 100% correct here, and I'm still treating what he says as theoretical and not factual. He might be right about Nakao, he might not - and the fact remains that the actual death occurred outside Yomiyama.

Where's Gregory House when you need him?
Old 2012-03-05, 16:32   Link #23
Sides

Awesome, an episode with a mixtape, well not really. Not sure how you guys felt when they discover the tape, I was kind of waiting impatiently to see how they tape will snap ^^. Kind of funny when watching this series, you expect that something will happen, but not sure how exactly. I guess it makes it fun to watch.
Old 2012-03-05, 16:56   Link #24
Hakuromatsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I see no reason to assume Chibiki is 100% correct here, and I'm still treating what he says as theoretical and not factual. He might be right about Nakao, he might not - and the fact remains that the actual death occurred outside Yomiyama.
Chibiki may not be all that he seems; we know now that he's the drama club advisor and an actor on top of that. Couple that with "the secret of the auxiliary library" and we have a bit of intrigue surrounding Chibiki.
Old 2012-03-05, 16:56   Link #25
ThereminVox
Guess what time it is?

Akazawa gave Mei the exact same death glare this week that she gave her outside homeroom after the teacher offed herself. Does she suspect Mei of being the extra? I doubt it. More likely, she suspects, as I do, that Mei knows way more than she lets on, and is getting tired of watching her stay stoic as lives are lost.

Quote:
Chibiki is actually starting to weird me out. I'm not saying he's wrong about Nakao, it just seems like every time there's a death outside the established pattern, he finds a way to make it fit with the calamity. It's probably not important, since most of the deaths would take some serious coincidence to be accounted for as anything else, and I guess they don't have much choice but to take his analysis at face value. He seems to be the only sane person in Yomiyama with much insight into the phenomenon. All the other sources seem pretty damaged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakuromatsu View Post
Chibiki may not be all that he seems. We know now that he's the drama club advisor and an actor on top of that
I noticed that too. I'm certainly going to remember that, but for now, I don't think any of the other puzzle pieces match the information. I'll be listening for references to more former Class 3 kid and the drama club, though.

Can someone verify for me what Reiko and Katsunaga said at the beach about his class' visit to the shrine last week? I saw it translated as "We joined hands and..." but at the time, I took it to mean they joined hands with each other, and not in prayer. I just want to know if the story from the beach matches the version on the tape, or if there might have been more than one visit.
Old 2012-03-05, 16:57   Link #26
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Kouichi: "I don't want anyone else to get involved. They might die, you know. You two can go to hell for all I care though".

Brilliant move, Kouichi. Keeping your waifus safe and getting rid of potential rivals at the same time.
Well... a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do...

Quote:
That might be the episode I enjoyed the least so far...
This is the first episode I've watched completely in the dark and with headphones, and...

Quote:
The visit of the old building was pretty tense. I loved how Mei trolled the guys about the Library legend.
You wouldn't believe how right you are. The music and the sound effects were absolutely spot on. I could feel the shivers down my spine.

...and what makes you think Mei was trolling...? Get yourself a pair of bassy headphones, I suggest...

Quote:
The brother who died by crane, he wasn't the same man as the 1983 student who made the tape, i.e. the guy we met at the beach, was he? (One blogger said he was the same person, but I don't think that's right.)
Quote:
Nope, not at all. I don't even know why anybody would think that. I have no idea what the last name of the cutie was, but we saw her brother at 17:58 or so, and that was clearly not Matsu.
The guy who made the tape is surnamed Matsunaga. The cutie whose brother died is surnamed Komu ( 小椋 ). I believe Teshigawara did in fact address her by that name at the school entrance, but the version I watched didn't subtitle it. By the way, it seems fairly certain now that it's the OP rather than the ED that hints at potential victims. Virtually all those who've died have appeared in the opening sequence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extremesonic101 View Post
I liked Aya :<
I did too. Ayano ( 綾野 ) was a perky girl and pretty cute too, in her own way. I'll always remember her for falling flat on her face at long jump.
Old 2012-03-05, 17:03   Link #27
Dop
Mmmm....

Feh, kids today, don't know how to handle our 1960s technology!
Old 2012-03-05, 17:23   Link #28
haguruma

Send a message via ICQ to haguruma Send a message via MSN to haguruma
I must say I liked this episode, even though it did some things pretty different from how they occured in the novel. But it's kinda nice to be surprised here and there as well.
Now we have up to 3 more casualties by this episode. We don't know yet if Ayano and her parents actually all died in the accident, though it is rather likely. If they all did die we are now at 11 dead people. Well, that is if the question wasn't still if Fujioka was a victim of the calamity or not...yes, technnically she shouldn't be, because too far removed from Misaki, but it seems strange.

Quote:
Finally, is this the first time we've had confirmation that the current class 3 students are not the same building as where the original Misaki incident took place? Proof that changing school buildings hasn't prevented the phenomenon's occurrence.
I think it was mentioned before, though I may be mixing that up with what was said in the novel. I think that either Mei or Chibiki mentioned in passing how changing the placee didn't help either and considering that art class was visibly in an older building you could probably infer that there was an older school building which is not fully used anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereminVox View Post
Akazawa gave Mei the exact same death glare this week that she gave her outside homeroom after the teacher offed herself. Does she suspect Mei of being the extra? I doubt it.
Well I think in a way everybody is suspecting everybody, in a way. Mei is pretty suspicious, being all by herself all the time, not really getting along with her classmates (as if she didn't belong). She's pretty ghostly all over...it's not HARD to understand that anybody would suspect her.
I think everybody is just avoiding the actual search for that one person more, because they wouldn't know what to do with him even if they found out. And what would you do if a precious friend would turn out to be a supernatural being due to which other precious people died?!
It's easier to blame people you don't really like

Quote:
Can someone verify for me what Reiko and Katsunaga said at the beach about his class' visit to the shrine last week? I saw it translated as "We joined hands and..." but at the time, I took it to mean they joined hands with each other, and not in prayer. I just want to know if the story from the beach matches the version on the tape, or if there might have been more than one visit.
Reiko mentioned 手を合わせる (Te o awaseru) which is folding/joining your hands (mostly in prayer) and it refers to your own hands. So the two stories matched.

And considering that 1983 account we now have 3 people of those 8 who died in 1983:
Hamaguchi ?: struck by lightning
Hoshikawa ?: fatal fall
Sakakibara Ritsuko: death due to sickness while in childbed
Old 2012-03-05, 17:58   Link #29
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Is it bad i loled when they showed the kids dying after visiting the shrine? Wow he ripped the tape. Nice job by Kouchi of saving Mei from the window. Was he on top of her while they were hiding or was he just in front of her? The new deaths were weak compared to the other deaths.
Old 2012-03-05, 18:22   Link #30
Blaat

I think I would liked this episode more if I wasn't trolled so much both by the "fake accidents" and finding out that the kid died while in the village plus the really cheap cop out with the tape. At some point enough is enough...
Quote:
Everyone lies!
Old 2012-03-05, 18:35   Link #31
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

As to Ayano, something struck me odd immediately with her. When she and Komu met Teshi and Kou-kun outside the old school building, she said “Sayonara” to Kouichi as she and Komu left – and he said “Sayonara” back. Now, in Japanese it’s unusual at best – and downright rude or bizarre at worst – to say “Sayonara” to someone you expect to see again – normally (especially with students) you’d say “Ja mata” or some variation thereof. Kouichi was clearly unsettled by this. Did she somehow know what was going to happen? Or was she saying it only because she knew she’d be leaving town for a while?
Old 2012-03-05, 18:40   Link #32
Utsuro no Hako

I had to laugh at Teshigawara and Sakakibara's reaction to Chibiki being the drama club advisor. Guy dressed all in black, flamboyant hair -- why exactly are you guys surpsied?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkWish View Post
Spoiler for EP9 Q:
I had the same thought, but I suspect it's an homage at most, and probably just a coincidence.

Quote:
Speaking of the tape, I was genuinely surprised. Not about it stopping just before the important information was revealed, but about how it stopped. I expected static similar to what happens during Kouichi's phone calls with his dad. That the tape would be pulled from the cassette wasn't among my list of Things That Could Go Wrong.
I figured the machine was going to eat it, which is kinda what happened but I didn't expect Teshigabaka to give it an assist.

Quote:
Finally, is this the first time we've had confirmation that the current class 3 students are not the same building as where the original Misaki incident took place? Proof that changing school buildings hasn't prevented the phenomenon's occurrence.
Characters have already mentioned that changing classrooms and renaming the class didn't work in the past, and we already knew that there was an old and a new school building, so this just made explicit that they weren't in the same room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haguruma View Post
Well I think in a way everybody is suspecting everybody, in a way. Mei is pretty suspicious, being all by herself all the time, not really getting along with her classmates (as if she didn't belong).
But the first time Sakakkibara went with Misaki to the art club, the students there were all happy to see her and acted like she was a cool person until Mochizuki showed up.
Old 2012-03-05, 18:43   Link #33
haguruma

Send a message via ICQ to haguruma Send a message via MSN to haguruma
Quote:
Did she somehow know what was going to happen? Or was she saying it only because she knew she’d be leaving town for a while?
This did not seem like somebody just leaving town for a while. She clearly bid farewell to her home when she went to the car and there were moving boxes in the hallway...apparently her parents decided to move away, which would also explain her "Farewell" to Kouichi and Teshigawara.
Komu seemed to know about this, because she told her that she would call her instead of "see you tommorrow". I assume she was simply afraid that it wouldn't work after what happened a few days before with Nakao.

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkWish View Post
Spoiler for EP9 Q:
It's a simple shrine, there are many of them all over Japan. It's like churches in Europe and America often look the same.
If you do a quick google search of 山神社 you will find lots of places that look the same...I've actually stumbled upon 3 or so places that look similar already. I think it seems more out of place to us people from Christian cultures, but shrines like this just exist and many of them tend to get kinda forgotten.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
But the first time Sakakkibara went with Misaki to the art club, the students there were all happy to see her and acted like she was a cool person until Mochizuki showed up.
Well, she is their senpai so they probably look up to her...is one thing. And not everybody has to have been in contact with Misaki prior to them being in the 3-3 together. I think you didn't know everybody from your school personally either.
So considering that Akazawa might have only gotten to know Misaki a little closer when they got into 3-3 and them being quite the opposite of each other, I'd understand why Misaki would be one of the first people Akazawa would like to accept as the one person more. Especially when it can be anybody from enemies to close friends...even yourself.

Last edited by haguruma; 2012-03-05 at 18:53.
Old 2012-03-05, 18:53   Link #34
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

The only thing that I can think of was that last two death at the end of the episode was beyond fucked up- Who the hell would expect a 4ton vehicle to come crashing into your house killing you on the second floor And shit falling from the sky has got to just as bad.

That being said, this episode had also magically found a way to make Misaki even more moe than she was already Of course, Kouichi's been slowly putting the moves on her the enitre time... Really? You have to hide with her ?

Next week, Akazawa crying I hope nothing bad happens to Teshigawara...
Old 2012-03-05, 19:05   Link #35
Arya

Quote:

ahah that was a pretty smart move. And he kept straight spreading the curse even with the poor cuties. A bit of a waste instead.

I liked the episode even if the deaths had less impact, but they were quite a number so, not something I can complain.
But tape, men, even a kid, not now aday, but back then, would have known how to remove it. When I saw Naoya reaching out his hand pointing to the tape instead of the eject button I really couldn't believe it
All in all, confusing episode in regard of the calamity.
Ah, chibiki is becoming suspicious more and more. And even Mei, she is always around. Next time will Kuoichi find her in the toilet? If kuoichi has a mei-dar, she has a kou-dar.

Izumi crying... mmm Naoya, is it your time?

edit: forgot the best moei moment, when looking for the tape she put that white flower on her hair

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Old 2012-03-05, 19:12   Link #36
Smithsky

Lol, when the started playing the tape, I was like 'just fucking say it' and of course we got what we got.

Also, is it common in Japan to have your car lights turned off during rain and when it's clearly dark? I was like, oho car lights broke, someone won't notice them while corner-cutting or some shit. But they all had their lights off which was a little wtf moment for me. I would understand if it was a sunny day, but come on... Here in Poland you have to have your lights turned on 24/7, no matter the weather :P
Old 2012-03-05, 19:30   Link #37
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:

Thinking about it more,even if what Chikibi says is correct this time,it doesn't account for all the deaths we saw happen at the shrine in 1983,that's outside of town,doesn't he know about those?

At some point I've got to start wondering if he's not withholding info.

Mei was also back to being a bit trollish,she had this sort of smartass smile on her face most of the time that keeps bothering me,similar to the way she behaved at the start of the show.
Old 2012-03-05, 19:47   Link #38
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I'm operating under the assumption that the shrine is technically part of the town, as its called "Yomiyama Shrine". I'm not sure why it's far enough away to warrant an overnight trip if that's the case, but I think it is.
Old 2012-03-05, 19:50   Link #39
LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quancio View Post
Also, is it common in Japan to have your car lights turned off during rain and when it's clearly dark?
The lights on when the windshield wipers are running law didn't become law in my state until 2006. As 2010, only 50% of the states in the US had such a law. So I wasn't surprised.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
Old 2012-03-05, 20:10   Link #40
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
God, this deaths are becoming more and more.... anyway...

Car lights are turned on 24/7 in the Philippines... They might have thought that drivers may probably use subways and tunnels and forget to turn on the lights...

It would be more realistic if the driver got sleepy to cause such kind of accidents....

Misaki Chan....moe!!!
Closed Thread