AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-03-05, 12:28   Link #1001
Mykas
Wu Di Jin Gang Tui

i would like to know what the japanese fan base thinks of this manga currently and what sort of letters oku is getting from them. i imagine if enough of them ask for kurono back he will be back he will be back. I would also like to see sales numbers for the tankobans since that would be a true indicator of whether or not popularity has continued or waned. i personally think kurono has to come back soon he has been dead for like 4 volumes now (maybe?) and his continued absence along with a really slow story may hurt the book.....
Old 2008-03-05, 23:57   Link #1002
MAQI
Varcolac cu trei capete

Location: Where the morale of the people is as black as the sea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diedrupo View Post
Yeah, I don't think Kurono will be revived anytime soon... After all, how many years did it take for Katou to be revived?
Well there are 2 chapters a month, he got killed in chapter 88 and revived in 218. So thats 130 chapters. When was the first chapter released? I have only read this manga for two or so months now so I have not been there from the begining. If it has always been two a month then it would have taken 65 months from when he died to when he was revived. Thats 5 years and 4 months or so. Am I right on this? Can someone let me know? I hope it will not take that long for Kurono to come back!

Then again it only took 16 chapters to kill off kurono and 88 to kill off katou... So maybe it will take a shorter amount of time to bring him back as well.

Last edited by MAQI; 2008-03-06 at 00:19.
Old 2008-03-08, 10:53   Link #1003
Rahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAQI View Post
Well there are 2 chapters a month, he got killed in chapter 88 and revived in 218. So thats 130 chapters. When was the first chapter released? I have only read this manga for two or so months now so I have not been there from the begining. If it has always been two a month then it would have taken 65 months from when he died to when he was revived. Thats 5 years and 4 months or so. Am I right on this? Can someone let me know? I hope it will not take that long for Kurono to come back!

Then again it only took 16 chapters to kill off kurono and 88 to kill off katou... So maybe it will take a shorter amount of time to bring him back as well.
Gantz used to be a weekly manga. Then, the mangaka started fooling around for some reason (which I don't know) and it became irregularly released (a chapter every 2 or 3 weeks) in the last year of Part1. Then he was granted a 4 months break and Gantz became bi-monthly.
Old 2008-03-09, 05:43   Link #1004
Astrana
MMmmmm Bacon~~~

I started to read Gantz 3 days ago, finished most of it in 2 days. I would have to say this is a really interesting and intense show. Sex, drugs, violence, gore.... I love it. still got few chapter to catch up but I really loving it.
Old 2008-03-09, 10:09   Link #1005
MooMooFarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mykas View Post
laura croft.... or sei or whatever you wanna call her is so far and away my favorite chick. reika is too much of a stereotype for me. i actually do miss kurono, some of these others i watch them die and my reaction is either meh or yay!!
HOW CAN YOU SAY STEROTYPE = REIKA WHEN YOU CALL LARA CROFT LARA CROFT?

T_T Reika is ok, wouldn't make sense to kill her off at this point. Lara Croft served her purpose, and Kishimoto is nowhere near as deserving to live as Anzu. We also have a vampire chick now, so like, there's a certain point where you gotta say no more to chicks that are just there to be eye candy. Funny thing is the ugly girl who got raped got offed during the alien mission and there wasn't even any mention. It was barely noticeable during Inaba's mini leadership arc. It's like, lawl, what a way to die.

Quote:
Katou is fine as the new main character. I hope he gets developed well. Kei can stay dead for as long as it takes.
Katou has the look of stupid written all over his face. Sure, you can see him as nice, honest, good guy, but that is like who gives a crap in today's age. Kei was actually someone who went from a nobody to a somebody, and his aggressiveness fit with how he looked in action. The guy looks better than Katou as far as being a main character goes, since he has less obvious holes. The only possibly cooler character that wouldn't even work as a main character is the Samurai.

As for those who died, Old man has the highest chance of not dying seeing as he got carried by Reika. Inaba being the loser does not have Cherry carrying his broken ass, and Dumbass nose bleed will probably not come back. Personally, I've grown attached to a few characters from the squad, so no more deaths would be nice. All the new people in this mission from Tokyos side can die for all I care. And pretty much everyone on Osaka's side except Anzu and bangmonkey because he's hilarious and would make fun times in future chapters.

Oka better not die/fail during this fight or anytime soon. The guy has enough safety ooze to probably protect an entire squad. Doesn't matter if his suit look weird (face it, gantz crap is almost never gundam cool it's more like weird but kinda cool), the guy's been hyped up for more than a year. He needs to shine at least as much as the Samurai.

And not to be a tape recorder, but seriously doesn't anyone think by now with the way this crap is becoming a global phenomenon it's safer to be part of Gantz then not be? You can be in the frigging desert for all I care and all of a sudden this ugly piece of crap pops up and eats you. At least you'd be armed T_T and like, yeah. I'd be like yeah, f u I'm staying.

Biggest shame is this author seems to not be interested in doing weekly anymore, cause if he could manage it, this would be so badass. The level of drawing is arguably better than Berserk (because of computer T_T) and the style is probably more appealing. Story wise though, Vinland wins it out as it's realistic/makes sense/more depth while Gantz could use a bit more Kei Kurono character development for the rest of the cast. Kei was the guy who got the one ups, but technically you can apply it to other characters too, like Reika, or Cherry. Some just don't work like Kaze/Old Man/etc, but still, they got their own ways to grow.

I think one of the neatest things about Kei becoming popular is his interactions not during missions. Like when he first met Kaze, or kinda showed off in RL. That was pretty cool and made a big impression of him for me. Not sure about the loving Tae, I personally hated that girl, but I can see it winning good guy points for others.

Last thing, does ANYONE know when the dog died? T_T I could never find it. Hoi Hoi the panda is king though, and deserves to be a permanent. LUL PANDA > 100 POINTER.
Old 2008-03-09, 14:30   Link #1006
Mykas
Wu Di Jin Gang Tui

ok you have a point about sei being a sort of stereotype but what i meant about reika is take a look at 99% of japanese models and she looks just like them, maybe a little better since she doesn't have any of the skin flaws etc real women do. as for no more chicks well half the readership would probably leave if that happened, my interest in the series is 50% action 50% fanservice (T&A) and i would say that is true for most people whether they will admit it or not.
my problem with katou is he is like the lead from a harem series who for some reason popped up in an action series, he is completely indecisive and easily gets blown around by the wind. he only acts because he is backed into a corner.
I THINK (done in capital letters to emphasize it is just an opinion) the reason kurono likes kojima so much is that she was safe. other than gantz he has spent most of his life as a huge looser in the shadow of his brother and looked down upon by everyone even his parents. suddenly someone loves him almost unconditionaly he isn't likely to give it up. the archetype if you will of the virgin wanting to marry the first girl he sleeps with.
if that guy from osaka in the suit goes down everyone else might as well quit because he is seriously rediculously powerful looking.
i have no idea when the dog died but i think it was during the temple mission when everyone else but kurono died since he didn't show up for the next mission but was there for the temple.
Old 2008-03-09, 22:38   Link #1007
jonli
JONLIの憂'

I'm pretty sure Kurono's going to come back, the author used more then 15 volumes to develop him into the most realistic character in Gantz. He's going to come back one way or another.

As for Katou, it's pretty obvious that the author is going to take his sweet time to develop Katou. Whether you like it or not he is the main character (for) now, maybe the author will spend 4 to 5 volumes to develop him in a different direction. Make him more hardcore and Izumi-like, an anti-kurono.
Old 2008-03-10, 11:41   Link #1008
ShikaShika
無罪

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahan View Post
Gantz used to be a weekly manga. Then, the mangaka started fooling around for some reason (which I don't know) and it became irregularly released (a chapter every 2 or 3 weeks) in the last year of Part1. Then he was granted a 4 months break and Gantz became bi-monthly.
So that's official now, it being bi-monthly?

Anyway, about the T&A, Oku can bring back all the girls he wants as far as I'm concerned. ^^ I'm kind of sad that there's been like less than one hour since Kurono died in the manga and well over a year in real life.
Old 2008-03-10, 16:32   Link #1009
emessen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mykas View Post
my problem with katou is he is like the lead from a harem series who for some reason popped up in an action series, he is completely indecisive and easily gets blown around by the wind. he only acts because he is backed into a corner.
are you talking about the same katou from gantz?

indecisive? who jumped out onto the train tracks in chapter one to save a hobo and got killed for it

backed into a corner? saved that family because he was backed into a corner? no he wasnt backed into any corner he was hesitating because he was seriously thinking about his safety and his lilttle brother... but ultimately could not stand by and let those people be killed.... the guy is a goody two shoes BOY SCOUT...

easily gets blown around by the wind... yes he's a reactionary character... but none of the characters were reactive.. no one in the story kurono included could do anything to circumvent the wind blower, Gantz.....

katou may not be the popular guy and hell i prefer kurono to be revived too... but dont label katou something he isnt at least base it on the story before you make the claims
Old 2008-03-14, 12:22   Link #1010
MooMooFarm

When I meant no more chicks, I meant there shouldn't always be a new chick around here and there just for fan service. Reika for one should develop into a real character, and she's partly there. Kishimoto was actually developed, but obviously it was made so she would die off. Atm, Reika is set up to die, but she can still live. It'd be kinda boring to Kishimoto it again. At least Reika must live longer to a point where she does something of significance, and this also applies to the males as well. Sakata went out very appropriately.

Quote:
I THINK (done in capital letters to emphasize it is just an opinion) the reason kurono likes kojima so much is that she was safe. other than gantz he has spent most of his life as a huge looser in the shadow of his brother and looked down upon by everyone even his parents. suddenly someone loves him almost unconditionaly he isn't likely to give it up. the archetype if you will of the virgin wanting to marry the first girl he sleeps with.
I understand this, but I still don't approve of it. It sucks, because she is boring and zzzz.

Quote:
if that guy from osaka in the suit goes down everyone else might as well quit because he is seriously rediculously powerful looking.
i have no idea when the dog died but i think it was during the temple mission when everyone else but kurono died since he didn't show up for the next mission but was there for the temple.
I know when the dog died, I just never saw a scene, which kind of was silly. Hopefully Panda will have more scenes, as it was kind of cute. =X It's a shame Izumi died, because the panda was hilarious, yet I never got why Izumi treated it so nicely.

As for Oka, I'm not saying he will die. But there's a chance he can, and Katou will become the star by taking advantage of something Oka did most likely and showing Osaka's team and his own just how amazing he really is, seeing as how he, inspired by Kei, inspired the Kei we know that formed the Tokyo team of Gantz. Katou just brims with the word overpowered, just not in a way that's like WOW SO KEWL GO CAPTAIN FALCON, but rather, GOGO PLOT POWER. Also one of the reasons I hate the guy. His grit face is terrible compared to Kei's. Katou belongs in Gantz in a sense, because he truly represents the geek who can survive. Every other nerd/geek like that snot glasses wouldn't live one mission by themselves.

Quote:

backed into a corner? saved that family because he was backed into a corner? no he wasnt backed into any corner he was hesitating because he was seriously thinking about his safety and his lilttle brother... but ultimately could not stand by and let those people be killed.... the guy is a goody two shoes BOY SCOUT...
It's part of the plan. You gotta start with katou being a weak boy scout before he can turn into clark kent like Kurono did. It's sad though that since Katou died for so long, they didn't spend any chapters developing the side characters, and as a result, I think some people might subconciously hate Katou. K main lead died, and the guy who died is back. But NONE OF THE SIDE CAST IS PUT IN A BETTER LIGHT, ONLY THE OPPOSITE. It's like, wow, you really are making them only sidekicks. It's like intentionally making them Sonic's friends or something.

=X hopefully they make Host Samurai into a core character, cause none of the current cast have developed into a Izumi. Kazu was ruined (how can a guy who can hurt a suit not be retardedly overpowered in one?) and the psychics were pretty much given the YOU HAVE X AMOUNT OF CHAPTERS TO LIVE. And the vamp chick is ok too, so I guess she would be the other fanservice, if she got something other than kill bill clothes.
Old 2008-03-15, 08:09   Link #1011
ShikaShika
無罪

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooMooFarm View Post
I understand this, but I still don't approve of it. It sucks, because she is boring and zzzz.
Hey hey hey! Don't knock Kojima, that's like the best romance in manga history, and a huge part of the transformation of Kurono's character, which made me like this manga for whole other reasons than when I first started reading it. I was really gutted when she (albeit temporarily) died.

Maybe I'm alone in thinking it, but I just wish more people appreciated the relationship.

Anyway, onto the latest chapter. I must admit I misunderstood the last chapter, I thought (for some reason) that the 100-pointer was the same alien that cornered the Tokyo team, but I realize after reading the latest chapter I was mistaken. So, I guess Oka managed to kill the 100-pointer then? Wow, that was pretty fast in that case. I'd kinda like someone else to get the points for the remaining guy now, a little boring if he takes down both.
Old 2008-03-15, 16:54   Link #1012
emessen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShikaShika View Post
Anyway, onto the latest chapter. I must admit I misunderstood the last chapter, I thought (for some reason) that the 100-pointer was the same alien that cornered the Tokyo team, but I realize after reading the latest chapter I was mistaken. So, I guess Oka managed to kill the 100-pointer then? Wow, that was pretty fast in that case. I'd kinda like someone else to get the points for the remaining guy now, a little boring if he takes down both.
no the 100 pointer was not the minataur with a tarantula's abdomen and legs that oka took out in 269... that chapter was just a whoa... look what he can do...

the 100 pointer IS the weird shapeshfting creature that chased down and mutilated several gantz members....

the end of 269 shows Oka deattached from his giant "gundam" in an upgraded suit walking towards the Tokyo Gantz team with the 100 pointer in his sights
Old 2008-03-16, 02:30   Link #1013
ShikaShika
無罪

Thanks for that, didn't feel like redounloading it. Ok, then it wasn't quite as anticlimactic as I thought then.
Old 2008-03-16, 12:57   Link #1014
gameboy234

so there are 2 suits. one is the gundam, the other is the body suit.
I wonder if the body suit and the gundam is a set or gained separately.

By the way, Maqi, your coloring for the gundam looks cool.
Old 2008-03-16, 21:32   Link #1015
MAQI
Varcolac cu trei capete

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooMooFarm View Post
HOW CAN YOU SAY STEROTYPE = REIKA WHEN YOU CALL LARA CROFT LARA CROFT?

We also have a vampire chick now, so like, there's a certain point where you gotta say no more to chicks that are just there to be eye candy.
The Vampire girl looks that chick in Kill Bill part 1...LOL!
Old 2008-03-16, 21:47   Link #1016
MAQI
Varcolac cu trei capete

Quote:
Originally Posted by gameboy234 View Post
so there are 2 suits. one is the gundam, the other is the body suit.
I wonder if the body suit and the gundam is a set or gained separately.

By the way, Maqi, your coloring for the gundam looks cool.
Thanks! I found it on Deviantart.com by typing in oku's name in the search bar. Its a big wall you should check it out.
Old 2008-03-28, 06:00   Link #1017
swerv
Stay Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by emessen View Post
no the 100 pointer was not the minataur with a tarantula's abdomen and legs that oka took out in 269... that chapter was just a whoa... look what he can do...

the 100 pointer IS the weird shapeshfting creature that chased down and mutilated several gantz members....

the end of 269 shows Oka deattached from his giant "gundam" in an upgraded suit walking towards the Tokyo Gantz team with the 100 pointer in his sights
Thanks for that, I was confused about what the hell was going on and who was who also.
Old 2008-03-28, 06:16   Link #1018
FuzzyWuzzy

Kei chan needs to come back. The team is a wuss without him. Sooner or later the team is going to die anyway. I'm really pissed about how this manga kill the main characters without any sense of glory to their death. Character development also just stops when they die. Kei died to give Kato some character development since we all know if Kei is there, he will steal all the screen time and show.

Kato and Kei have two different styles of protecting people. Kei uses his gun to protect people while Kato uses his body as a shield to protect people.

Last edited by FuzzyWuzzy; 2008-03-29 at 01:46.
Old 2008-03-29, 20:10   Link #1019
MAQI
Varcolac cu trei capete

I guess there is no manga this week? Does anyone know why?
Old 2008-04-04, 14:43   Link #1020
Ironalchemist
The Idea of Evil

The manga is released every other week.
Closed Thread