Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-04-27, 02:21   Link #61
iKumdo
Chodan

Send a message via AIM to iKumdo
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserName View Post
I'd say the complete opposite. Especially in regards to Luffy. The fact that he has such a high bounty is due to circumstance. There are probably plenty of other pirates who could've destroyed Eneis Lobby (granted the Strawhats would've failed had it not been for the Franky Family and Galley-La helping) but never had a chance. Same with running into that much Shichibukai (though it's possible others have run into them and maybe even beaten them.)
That's less to do with circumstances and more to do with Luffy's audacity, strength, and resilience. Even granted that some of these pirates mentioned in the last chapter is strong enough to have taken out Moria or Eneis Lobby, they probably would not have taken that risk. There is no point in doing so.

Quote:
And yes the Strawhats have killed people. I recall Smoker stating that Zoro got his 60 million bounty due to defeating Daz Bones and killing over 100 bounty hunters at Whiskey Peak.
I don't think any were killed. Didn't Oda mention that the Straw Hats never kill their opponents?

The main thing that got my attention from all the posts here are things like "OMG WTF DID THESE PEOPLE DO!?" When it clearly states that Kid has a high bounty for doing damage to civilian life.

Quote:
The Strawhats simply aren't the best. Oda has emphasized time and time again that they're plenty of incrediby strong people in the One Piece world. THey likely won't reach the "pirate's summit" till they're nearing the end of their journey.
Obviously not. I just find it funny how people overreact so easily here. Maybe The bounties accurately correspond with power levels between all these captains (and two crew). I personally think many of them might be push overs.
Old 2008-04-27, 04:36   Link #62
Fyria

Zoro kills his opponents, or atleast he don't hold back and when fight ensues he don't really have thoughts about opponents survival, Oda stated before Alabasta that Zoro sometimes kills opponents (well if you slash with katanas with Zoro's strenght I guess accidents does happen).

One thing that came up to my mind is Buggy/Alvida and their crew, I guess they choose diffrent route on Grand Line but they are pursuing Strawhats and I guess they have meet their own adventures and got new bountys aswell, I wonder is there any chance of them catching up Strawhats (They did catch SH in last stop before last Redline and they could meet them here too).
Old 2008-04-27, 12:45   Link #63
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by iKumdo View Post
I don't think any were killed. Didn't Oda mention that the Straw Hats never kill their opponents?

A quote from Stephen's scripts:

Quote:
Smoker: The numbers suit them...
...do you know what his friend the swordsman did?

Tashigi: Roronoa Zoro...?

Smoker: He killed 100 bounty hunters in Whiskey Peak.
And he took out Daz Boness in Alubarna.

So yeah, that pretty much confirms it, I think. Plus, we can't forget that Zoro was a bounty hunter HIMSELF before he joined up with Luffy. I think it's fair to say that he snuffed out a good number of lives...

Oh, and not to mention that Robin told Usopp that she specialized in assassination when she first joined the crew, too.
Old 2008-04-27, 15:53   Link #64
UserName

Quote:
I dont' recall that. The closeset I've seen is him stating that Luffy himelf doesn't kill people but rather crushes their dreams. Smoker (when talking about his new bounty), Ingram (or Zoro?), and Daz Bones have all stated that he killed over 100 bounty hunters. Clearly not everyone he faced there died, but it seems a sizable amount (probably all the weaker ones) did.

Quote:
The main thing that got my attention from all the posts here are things like "OMG WTF DID THESE PEOPLE DO!?" When it clearly states that Kid has a high bounty for doing damage to civilian life.
It states that Kid has a slightly higher bounty (than Luffy) due to killing civilians. Though I don't think that would carry more weight than beating up government officials.

Quote:
Obviously not. I just find it funny how people overreact so easily here. Maybe The bounties accurately correspond with power levels between all these captains (and two crew). I personally think many of them might be push overs.
I don't see how thinking that it goes along with how Oda has portrayed One Piece in the past is overreacting. Even some seemingly random characters like Wiper comes out of nowhere and defeats the crew's strongest. Though they were caught off guard, even in a serious fight Luffy was unable to beat him. Oda has never potrayed the Strawhats has extraordinary in the grand scheme of things, so it's far from an overreaction to think that the crews that have been clearly introduced as rivals (a word specifcally used describing them in regards to Luffy) has being on the same tier of strength.

I don't think there's much indicating that they're push overs, though it's possible some are. The next few chapters should make how they stand relative to the Strawhats clearer. As for Buggy, I'm hoping that he arrives also. And with the Eneis Lobby incident Buggy should have a clearer idea of where they are.
Old 2008-04-27, 16:31   Link #65
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserName View Post
I don't see how thinking that it goes along with how Oda has portrayed One Piece in the past is overreacting. Even some seemingly random characters like Wiper comes out of nowhere and defeats the crew's strongest. Though they were caught off guard, even in a serious fight Luffy was unable to beat him. Oda has never potrayed the Strawhats has extraordinary in the grand scheme of things, so it's far from an overreaction to think that the crews that have been clearly introduced as rivals (a word specifcally used describing them in regards to Luffy) has being on the same tier of strength.
I certainly agree with the great majority of your post, but this line in perticular is wrong, or at least not quite true. Oda has painstakenly shown that there are stonger and more powerful fighters, but he has also painstakenly shown that Luffy and the Starwhats will all be in their "league" eventually. Take Mihawk for instance, one day Zoro will fight him again, and on that day (unless Zoro loses and then commits suicide) Zoro will win. That is a strong indicator that the Strawhat crew is constantly getting stonger and will one day be the best, to think otherwise is to misconstrue Oda's story.
Old 2008-04-28, 00:29   Link #66
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Even granted that some of these pirates mentioned in the last chapter is strong enough to have taken out Moria or Eneis Lobby, they probably would not have taken that risk. There is no point in doing so.
The in-bold claim that you make is really just your own speculation. There is nothing to suggest that any of the supernovas (barring Luffy and Zoro) would be able to beat Moria or wreck Enies Lobby.

Regarding the content of this chapter, I found it really interesting that Shakky used to be chased by Garp in her pirating days. She must have been one formidable pirate to have made it imperative for Garp himself to pursue her.
Old 2008-04-28, 00:54   Link #67
rabbitgodmeow

I hope that Chopper really proves himself in this arc. He is constantly underestimated but he has defeated one of the generals or preists ( whatever they were called) in Skypeia, and a CP9 member. He really is not weak. I think it would be interesting to see him versus Law because they're both doctors, but it would be kind of unreasonable for him to fight against such a huge bounty, unless he finds a way to really power up.
Old 2008-04-28, 05:39   Link #68
kayote
Looking for ONE PIECE

in saying all this the new captains must be able to hold themselves against some of the best out there. yes they may lose in the end but, i still think that it will be no pushover to beat some of them. as they go through the latter half of the grand line i think they will be witteld down and only one or two will surview.

when they cross the Red Line i think in the new world there will be some WTF sounding bounties. not just for the captains but also there nakama. yes over 600 beli for the strawhats is a big number but i think that it will go up by a whole lot for the vetrens of the new world. not just the big four but also some others who travel the new world.
Old 2008-04-28, 07:28   Link #69
Vree

It'd be cool if these supernovas weren't ALL mass murderers and it turned out that they can be a threat to the WG in different ways than the Strawhats are. Apoo's team could be broadcasting anti-WG music or something for example.
Old 2008-04-28, 07:40   Link #70
Fyria

Well bountys in OP world are not 'Power-level' indicators as many of ppl thinks, instead they are but a measure of how much WG considers them to threat.

Good example is Robin who got 69 million bounty just because she was sole survivor of Ohama destruction and able to read poneglyphs.

Of course if somone got 250 000 000 bounty we can assume that he is quite dangerous in combat but intelligent mastermind who is skilled at broadcasting anti-WG propaganda and planning attacks against WG can hold high bounty too even if he is only normal human in fighting situations.

We don't really know anything about of real danger of Supernovas quite yet, it can be turn out that guy with 150 million is more dangerous than guy with 325 million. Time (or chapters) will tell.
Old 2008-04-28, 15:06   Link #71
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

That makes you wonder how much will Monkey D. Dragon bounty be . He is a huge threat to WG
Old 2008-04-28, 17:43   Link #72
kayote
Looking for ONE PIECE

all the new pirates have got this far but, one of the main things i would like to know is if anyone of them had to face two Shichibukai as well a run in with an Admiral as well on the way. also CP9 are quite powerfull as well. most pirates would have trouble when facing them.
Old 2008-04-29, 07:44   Link #73
Fyria

No One piece in 3 weeks because Golden week pause AND following OP scheduled pause.

499 spoilers come as late as 13.5
Old 2008-04-29, 19:57   Link #74
Trax
Rock beats scissors

Another scenario I thought of that would be interesting: What if the 100M+ bounty captains get targetted by that world noble for his captain collection? That + fighting amongst captains would make things very lively indeed...
Old 2008-04-29, 20:11   Link #75
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trax View Post
Another scenario I thought of that would be interesting: What if the 100M+ bounty captains get targetted by that world noble for his captain collection? That + fighting amongst captains would make things very lively indeed...
I agree. This would also be a really good set up for one of the admirals to appear if the nobles are to get attacked by any of the rookies out of retaliation. We would finally see either the Red Dog or Yellow Monkey .
Old 2008-04-29, 21:05   Link #76
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trax View Post
This is a great idea, and would certainly act as a great set-up for their entrance into the "New World". It would be a little like the fights in the Upper Garden during the Skypiea arc, where the priests, Shandians, and Strawhats all fought against each other - a crazed free-for-all.
Old 2008-04-29, 21:15   Link #77
ellifeedn
Thinker

Why should the nobles get involved? It could be a fight over the mechanic. I think that would be more plausible.
Old 2008-04-30, 09:36   Link #78
ShikaShika
無罪

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
A quote from Stephen's scripts:
So yeah, that pretty much confirms it, I think.
I looked over the original Japanese, and it more accurately says that Zoro cut down 100 bounty hunters. Make of that what you will.
Old 2008-04-30, 13:07   Link #79
Bari_Phillis
It's a.... BEAM!

why are we discussing whether zoro killed people or took them down? In one pice its all the same thing. So, technically, anyone can come back and try to avenge their defeat, but realistically, Oda wont do that. Take buggy for example. At first the strawhats had a real ffight with him but the second time it was like they were eons of levels above him. It doesn't matter what happens, once defeated the characters just go away and the strawhats pretty myuch never see them ever again.

Onto right now, so I believe zoro is currently above all other people than the highest person correct? Im gonna bet that zoro will take down at least one of the swordsmen in order to gain their swords. Its going to be tough but I believe his collection of three legendary swords will be complete. Either that or he will be attacked by other people for his sword or bounty and just kill/cut/defeat all of them. If not luffy, zoro's bounty will definatly go up in this arc. I believe sangi's will also go up too. brook will get a new bouty and hopefully choppers will be re-evaluated.
Old 2008-05-01, 08:27   Link #80
cheese4u
da big boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bari_Phillis View Post
why are we discussing whether zoro killed people or took them down? In one pice its all the same thing. So, technically, anyone can come back and try to avenge their defeat, but realistically, Oda wont do that. Take buggy for example. At first the strawhats had a real ffight with him but the second time it was like they were eons of levels above him. It doesn't matter what happens, once defeated the characters just go away and the strawhats pretty myuch never see them ever again.

Onto right now, so I believe zoro is currently above all other people than the highest person correct? Im gonna bet that zoro will take down at least one of the swordsmen in order to gain their swords. Its going to be tough but I believe his collection of three legendary swords will be complete. Either that or he will be attacked by other people for his sword or bounty and just kill/cut/defeat all of them. If not luffy, zoro's bounty will definatly go up in this arc. I believe sangi's will also go up too. brook will get a new bouty and hopefully choppers will be re-evaluated.
While, I definitely agree that their bounties will go up after this arc (and I certainly hope Chopper's will be "re-evaluated" as you said), I don't think Zoro will take down any swordsman to gain there sword, for the simple fact that I couldn't see Zoro throwing away his current sword (which is in good working condition) for a better one. And I'm not quite sure what you meant by the whole "Zoro is currently above all other people except for the highest person" comment, but Trafalgar and Basil do not look like surefire victories for Zoro. I mean due to his oath to never lose again I'm sure he'll defeat them, but he's gonna get roughed up pretty damn bad in the process. I expect at least one of his fights to be as tough as the Luffy/Lucci fight, as opposed to a quick handicapped victory like the one over Ryuuma.
Ya know, when a man works hard his entire life enduring hundreds of ladies, many of whom he does not even remember you'd like to think that at the end of the day he will be given a lot of money, without having had to earn it. -Leon Phelps
Closed Thread