Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-04-23, 10:09   Link #1
xris
Just call me Ojisan

One Piece - Chapter 498 [Manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread Guidelines
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.
Old 2008-04-23, 10:24   Link #2
Blaine

A summary of chapter 498.

Spoiler:
Old 2008-04-23, 10:43   Link #3
naruto89

Spoiler for bounties:

That Trafalger Dude looks like Gin, but he's got some sort of domflamingo insignia on his jumper

I hoping Zoro is going to be the character focus of this arc considering he is going to end up at dock 1,which may be some sort of noble headquarters, with introduction of the bounties and zoro's being the lowest maybe a bit inferiority may creep in, i think its about time zoro comes up against a swordsman who exceeds him and is closer to challenging mihawk, and i pray its one of those bad-ass looking rookie's.

the bounties seem ridiculous and inconsistant , luffy pawns a shikubukia, challenges the world government, takes down enies lobby and ends up getting a rookie bounty. WTF have these new characters done to get such bounties, take down a warlord of the sea, i think not !!

Last edited by naruto89; 2008-04-23 at 11:00.
Old 2008-04-23, 12:16   Link #4
Blaine

Hasn't been metioned what Dragons bounty is. I'd imagine it's pretty high since is considered to be the worlds most wanted man.
Old 2008-04-23, 13:53   Link #5
james0246

Trafalgar Law has a smiley symbol...this could be the introduction to a Doflamingo arc, which I have been waiting for since he was introduced some 200 chapters ago .

Added to that, this is the first time (since the Alabasta Arc) there has been enough enemies for all the Strawhats to have a one-on-one fight. I doubt that is what will happen, but it is one possibilty.
Old 2008-04-23, 14:35   Link #6
shankss
CP10

Soo these are the cp9-like anti-heroes of this arc

btw
Quote:
Eustrace Captain Kid: 315.000.000 Berry
holy crap...I wonder what he did to achieve that..WG secrets? Pre-Revolutionary? defeated officer? killed some nobles?
Old 2008-04-23, 14:52   Link #7
Paraden1989

I think it is kind of funny that any fan can see the name puns that Oda uses with these pirates. Fore example: Eustrace Captain Kid could be a pun of Billy the Kid, Capone Gang Bege comes from Al Capone, and Jewelry Bonney comes from Bonny and Clyde.

I believe Luffy might fight Eustrace Captain Kid because of his bounty, but I don’t think that he will be as strong as Oz and Gecko Moria together. Plus Gecko’s former bounty was 5,000,000 more than Eustrace Captain Kid’s bounty.
Old 2008-04-23, 14:55   Link #8
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankss View Post

holy crap...I wonder what he did to achieve that..WG secrets? Pre-Revolutionary? defeated officer? killed some nobles?
I know. Not even Robin, who has knowledge that could destroy the World Government, gets a bounty of more than 70 million, but here are a bunch of rookies (as in non-New World pirates...which means Luffy is also a Rookie ) with bounties greater than the Strawhats. I guess it is possible that the usage of bounties in or near the "New World" is different from the entrance to the Grand Line (i.e. Bounties now are a definite indicator of strength much the same as douki was for the CP9, or maybe there are automatic bounties assigned to pirates in the New World (i.e. any Captain automatically gets a 300 million bounty in the New World, even if they have done nothing to earn the bounty)), but that seems a little far fetched.

Last edited by james0246; 2008-04-23 at 15:32.
Old 2008-04-23, 15:29   Link #9
Fyria

Well Grand Line has own levels of measurments compared to normal seas (Grand Line marine captain >> normal admiral). There could be another leap of level at New world too.

Oda told that if Enel would lived at Grand line instead sky islands his bounty would be +600 000 000 beli (atleast power wise). Although Enel has been most powerful person crew has fighted this far (with possible exception of Aokiji/Mihawk). but Enel was introduced quite some time ago though.

Well I guess it's not that hard to get +300k bounty if you have time to practice high level piracy, Strawhats has been only few years on business but some powerful people roaming for decade could get +300k without that much flaws of logic.

I am quite sure that we will meet persons with +1 000 000 000 bountys in new world... I am quite sure that Dragon has quite insane bounty because he is most wanted man in planet.

That ship coater supposed to be 100x stronger than Luffy, does he has 300 billion bounty or can he just lift 100x larger rock than Luffy?

Anyways things are looking nice and as always looking forward for chapter.
Old 2008-04-23, 15:56   Link #10
naruto89

^^^Enel would of had a bounty of 500,000,000 million and it was never specified that it was power wise, more than likely it would of been because of his god-complex.

Just had a look at a partially translated script at AP and it seems that the groves are segmented into different types with:

Groves in the 60's as Navy headquarters

the 40's, 30's, and 50's make up the tourist amusement park and shipyards

70's is a hotel town.

Groves 1-29 are, for the most part, a "lawless zone".

Meaning zoro may end up in the most badass part of the island

Last edited by naruto89; 2008-04-23 at 17:01.
Old 2008-04-23, 16:59   Link #11
kayote
Looking for ONE PIECE

he would most likely love that. but, in saying that he is still not 100% fit. so it might end up being bad.
Old 2008-04-23, 17:41   Link #12
UserName

Quote:
Originally Posted by naruto89 View Post
^^^Enel would of had a bounty of 500,000,000 million and it was never specified that it was power wise, more than likely it would of been because of his god-complex.
The entire question was about Enel's power and he said it'd be 500 million max "due to how tricky he would be to beat."

At the same time he also pointed out how there's plenty of stronger people in the Blue Seas.
Old 2008-04-23, 17:55   Link #13
kayote
Looking for ONE PIECE

i gess it does make sense that he would be worth around that much because he was an elemental DF user. on top of that the mantra was a formidiable technique.

both of those things combined he could challenge a lot of people.
Old 2008-04-23, 18:13   Link #14
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

Interesting bounties on strange names. I wonder who will be the winner of "let us meet in person" game. Kid, Hawkins, and Drake seem to be the more interesting ones, with their bounties and names. Of course, if they are from the same crew then it would be better.

About Reilly, having 100 times the strength of Luffy is almost unreal. How was it measured? Does he know Luffy in person? Or, does he know someone who knows Luffy in person? For instance, Garp, Aokiji, or Dragon. Whaever the reason is, he must have a one hell of a past, and his achievements would become useful in teaching Strawhats a lesson about them definitely not being strong enough to take on the Government, at their base.

Of course, if Reilly is that powerful, I wonder how strong is Whitebeard, Shanks, and others are.

Oh, and I am hoping that island is the place where Luffy learns about Ace's condition.
Old 2008-04-23, 18:53   Link #15
marvelB

...Wow. the designs of all those big-bounty characters are awesome (I especially love that mafia dude's design). Still, I don't think that they'll be opponents for the crew (not now, at least). I think it more likely than anything that they'll be targeted as slaves for the Nobles....

As for that Reilly guy, I'm gonna go ahead now and guess that he's that dude with the axe. If Hachi's coating friend said that he's been away for a while, I wouldn't find it surprising if he returned at around the same time as the Straw-Hats' arrival. Heh, now we're really starting to see the scale of the opponents in the New World....

Oh, and did anyone else get an Alvida vibe from Bonney? I certainly did....
Old 2008-04-23, 20:03   Link #16
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by james3wk View Post
Trafalgar Law has a smiley symbol...this could be the introduction to a Doflamingo arc, which I have been waiting for since he was introduced some 200 chapters ago .
I also caught this little detail. What is interesting to note here is that Doflamingo's smiley symbol has a line crossing over it while Law's smiley symbol is normal. Perhaps Doflamingo and Law have some bad history with each other in the past resulting in their symbol opposition.
Old 2008-04-23, 21:50   Link #17
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

There are differences between Doflamingo's symbol and Law's symbol, other than the cross. If the image I found on the web is correct, then Law's smiley is not a fully smiling symbol, the upper lip is flat (in Doflamingo's symbol, it is curvy on the upper part, and the upper and lower parts are separated by a curvy line in between, we don't have that in Law's symbol). Also, there are six small leg kind of extensions over it the smiley face.

So, it may just be a coincidence.
Old 2008-04-23, 22:27   Link #18
marvelB

There's a partial translation of the script out. It would seem that the reason that Captain Kid has a higher bounty than Luffy is because he killed a great number of people. Sounds like this guy is pretty wild...

And I still believe that the crew won't fight all of these guys this arc. MAYBE some of them will be fought (I'm particularly interested in seeing Law and Bege in action) but again, we still have the pirate-enslaving World Nobles to worry about. There's also a chance that the crew will encounter some of these guys at certain points in the New World....
Old 2008-04-23, 23:17   Link #19
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

I found a nice image to show the symbols of different pirate crews.

Until the source recognizes the steal and closes the link, enjoy:

Old 2008-04-24, 01:55   Link #20
chitgoks

let's ignore's luffy's bounty right now since after gecko's defeat the world government didn't increase it. but for sure if they wanted the whole world to know about moria's defeat, luffy's bounty surely would have gone up
Closed Thread