AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-06-08, 20:48   Link #1101
tjalorak
Fax Caelestis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secca View Post
Saki is really strong when she can face to face with another player. But since she was doing +- 0 to avoid conflict in her family in the first place, that's probably her weakness, she can't play againts players that terrorize or preasure other players like her sister, that's why she lost in the cafe. It's almost like she was being dead stared by a snake.
I wonder if also she's just more sensitive to, well, the closest term would be, killing intent. She notices Koromo's aura from probably miles away. It's sort of interesting that the only two people with these types of auras are Koromo and Saki.

Edit: In the tournament that is. Others so far are Teru and Fujita like you said.

That being said, your theory definitely has a lot of merit and doesn't bode well for Saki's early play against Koromo.
Old 2009-06-08, 21:58   Link #1102
Peanutbutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
Bingo. Although I think that there's something up with Yumi, the club president as well.
I'll just note down this statement for now.
Peanutbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-09, 00:14   Link #1103
scr
my sides are in orbit

Spoiler for speculation time!:

I'm reading between the lines, really.
If there's a Final Fantasy game that I must put my personal seal of disapproval on, it's Crisis Core. I mean, just look at how this Genesis Rhapsodos dude is raping the canon. It's bad. As in, fanfiction bad.
scr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-09, 01:17   Link #1104
tjalorak
Fax Caelestis

Quote:
Originally Posted by scr View Post
Spoiler for speculation time!:
She didn't break down though... Her family didn't have the money to get into Kazekoshi so she went to Kiyosumi. And she never wanted to leave the competition. Granted, she could have gone to the individual competition but according to her, she was more interested and wanted to go as a team.
Old 2009-06-09, 06:24   Link #1105
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy View Post
Hisa's "special power" has been foreshadowed multiple times in the show, including the preview for the next episose... Mako complained about how Hisa always "Chooses the waits with the worst odds". Not sure how that is a special power instead of just an unconventional playing style, but maybe it's exactly that unconventional playing style that is what throws off her opponents.
She seems like a greedy player and likes to win BIG with one hand to me

I was rather surprised at Mako being thrown off by a pure noob...what's more, said noob actually managed to crawl to 2nd place of the leader board...talk about luck(?)

But I have a feeling that Hisa will kick some serious ass especially since Mihoko shat bricks when realising that she faced off against her before. Kowaiii~

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-09, 06:31   Link #1106
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Sometimes, beginner's luck is a bit of a skill. Since beginners usually play pretty chaotically, they automatically become the dark horse and may stump players who have advanced strategies in mind. Especially when discarded tiles figure so heavily into the Mahjong game, if you're doing it chaotically, then it becomes a bit of a weapon. I mean, even in fighting games (videogames), other card/board games, beginner's luck can actually wear down veterans from time to time because their tactics are either so chaotic or so pure as to how they play, it disrupts in-depth planning.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-09, 06:36   Link #1107
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Not if you know what kind of beginner mistakes they make.
Mako was right, if she had seen more newbies she would have won.
Old 2009-06-09, 06:38   Link #1108
Willen
Aoba Tsukishima

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
She didn't watch Kyou enough? Or maybe he isn't a newb, just not very good?
Willen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-09, 06:38   Link #1109
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

I wonder when exactly Hisas power was foreshadowed? o_o I dont remember her seeing playing even once. Maybe my memory is bad. Im not watching previews so that is out too, seems like I have to wait for the next episode to see her awesomeness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willen View Post
She didn't watch Kyou enough? Or maybe he isn't a newb, just not very good?
We dont know how long Kaori and Kyou have been in their clubs. Maybe Kyou is just for a longer time playing mahjong. Maybe he studied before going to high-school. Maybe he just learns faster than Kaori. Or maybe he got better by playing with monsters like Saki/Nodoka/Mako/Hisa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
Have fun predicting moves of a novice. Thats as possible as winning with a rinshan kaiho regularly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
What it also shows is how seriously cheating is considered, and how difficult it is to regain trust again. This is why Saki is very much a sports anime where something like Akagi isn't.
Im NOT planning to do it, but how exactly are you cheating in Mahjong? I mean sneaking in tiles wont work, it will be discovered the second 5 of the same tiles are open. Changing tiles on the dead wall would require VERY fast hands and still depend extremely on luck. I just dont see a way. Oh maybe changing tiles in your hand and your discards.
Eisdrache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-09, 06:38   Link #1110
Farplaner

I think it's kind of like in poker, you always see some amateur piss off the pros by playing unpredictably and recklessly, throwing their mind games off.
Farplaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-09, 06:41   Link #1111
Willen
Aoba Tsukishima

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisdrache View Post
I wonder when exactly Hisas power was foreshadowed? o_o I dont remember her seeing playing even once. Maybe my memory is bad. Im not watching previews so that is out too, seems like I have to wait for the next episode to see her awesomeness.
I can only remember the conversation between Mako and Hisa in episode 8, specifically at around 8:42.
Willen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-09, 06:53   Link #1112
M.Marangio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
But I have a feeling that Hisa will kick some serious ass especially since Mihoko shat bricks when realising that she faced off against her before.
Well, Hisa will play against the weakest member of Kazekoshi, Seika Bundo, the former number 78 of the club.
M.Marangio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-09, 07:25   Link #1113
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Marangio View Post
Well, Hisa will play against the weakest member of Kazekoshi, Seika Bundo, the former number 78 of the club.
Not anymore.
Old 2009-06-09, 07:43   Link #1114
Peanutbutter

I don't quite get Kazekoshi's player placement strategy though.

Especially Bundo's style later we'll see, she's more suited as the first player.
Peanutbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-09, 07:46   Link #1115
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farplaner View Post
I think it's kind of like in poker, you always see some amateur piss off the pros by playing unpredictably and recklessly, throwing their mind games off.
Exactly. Playing totally newbie style means you HAVE no style. So mindgames basically does not work, period.

Obviously, some games like Poker or Mahjong where discards and playing styles dictate the match benefits from newbie style rather than something like Chess where a newbie mistake could easily be exploited. But concealed hands are totally another matter. It's basically like Mu-shin or the no-mindedness martial artists and Bushido teach. Even after YEARS of practice and techniques drilled into them, they are taught to empty their minds and lose form to confuse the enemies and make sure no moves are seen. With newbies, that is already built into their circumstance.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-09, 10:03   Link #1116
tjalorak
Fax Caelestis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanutbutter003 View Post
I don't quite get Kazekoshi's player placement strategy though.

Especially Bundo's style later we'll see, she's more suited as the first player.
Well, we know last year, Mihoko played the fukushou (vice-captain?) Touka but she notes that Jun really hurt them -- probably early in the match since Ryuumonbuchi's line up seems to be the same.

So apparently she felt she had to make sure Jun didn't go off so that Kazekoshi didn't start with a deficit. Her "special power" and her ability to hide in the flow and direct others toward Jun just seems to be a perfect counter to Jun.

That being said, yes, it is pretty perplexing! Maybe she just wants / hopes that the middle three players will lose points but at a slow enough rate that Kazekoshi will be equal and near the top going into the final round.
Old 2009-06-09, 12:56   Link #1117
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjalorak View Post
That being said, yes, it is pretty perplexing! Maybe she just wants / hopes that the middle three players will lose points but at a slow enough rate that Kazekoshi will be equal and near the top going into the final round.
Her only mistake is underestimating Koromo.
Old 2009-06-09, 16:02   Link #1118
DmonHiro

Send a message via Yahoo to DmonHiro
I'm just speculating, but something just hit me. Momoka's (the ghost girl) aura seems very similar to Fujita's aura in episode 4. Could there be some connection?
DmonHiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-09, 19:38   Link #1119
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Could be. Could be not.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-09, 22:12   Link #1120
Marina2

After wandered around internet, I found something interesting.

OP2's name : [bloooomin']
ED3(?)'s name : 四角い宇宙で待ってるよ] (Shikakui Uchuu de Matteru yo)

Source :

ANN also put ED3's name on their website

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...e.php?id=10527

Tsuruga team in ED2 ^^ (Next is Ryuumonbushi's ?)

Last edited by Marina2; 2009-06-09 at 22:25.
Marina2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
competition, mahjong, seinen