Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2011-10-07, 13:21   Link #1
Hayamaneko
cat boy?

Send a message via AIM to Hayamaneko
Dell machine won't detect hard drives

So I have this old dell machine that I am trying to reformat but whenever I boot it up I get the message that both hard drives where not detected. I've tried many things to get the hard drives to get recognized including resetting the CMOS to even plugging in the hard drives on a different computer but nothing has worked. Would should I do.
Old 2011-10-08, 07:02   Link #2
demonix

Send a message via Yahoo to demonix
Well you can't do anything as it is clear that the hard drives have died since you've already done the obvious thing by connecting them to another computer without success (if I've gotten what you've said correct).
demonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-08, 08:10   Link #3
Hayamaneko
cat boy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonix View Post
Well you can't do anything as it is clear that the hard drives have died since you've already done the obvious thing by connecting them to another computer without success (if I've gotten what you've said correct).
thing is that It worked once before so I am hoping that I am just doing something wrong. Is their some program that I can boot from and USB or CD Rom that can test of either drive is corrupt?
Old 2011-10-09, 08:37   Link #4
demonix

Send a message via Yahoo to demonix
If the hard drives are not being detected on any computer then any external program booted from a CD/DVD or USB drive will give the same results of not being able to detect them.
demonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-09, 11:33   Link #5
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Does the BIOS setup report the drives? If not, make sure that drive detection is enabled. On Dells I've owned that means that the BIOS hard drive settings are set to On or Auto.

As demonix says, if the BIOS doesn't see the the drives, no OS will either.

What kind of drives are we talking about here? Modern SATA drives with narrow cables, or older PATA (aka IDE) drives with the wide ribbon cable? If the latter, are you sure both drives have their jumpers set to either master or slave as appropriate?
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-09, 13:40   Link #6
Tiberium Wolf

I had 1 dell where you need to go to bios to activate the sata connection else it wouldn't detect the HDD. If the connection was active and no HDD it would stop and complain about it. God! It's freaking annoying.
Old 2011-10-09, 14:17   Link #7
Hayamaneko
cat boy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post

What kind of drives are we talking about here? Modern SATA drives with narrow cables, or older PATA (aka IDE) drives with the wide ribbon cable? If the latter, are you sure both drives have their jumpers set to either master or slave as appropriate?
They're PATA drives and were both set to slave/master. Is their something I could do to recover the data on the drives? I mean aside from paying someone to recover them for me?
Old 2011-10-09, 14:57   Link #8
Hollowgolem

If they're old enough, it's possible that their time has simply come. This is why you back your stuff up regularly. Redundancy is king.

I recently had one of the hard drives on this baby give out on me, but since it was all backed up, and old, it wasn't a huge deal. Though that clicking noise it started making was really... unnerving.
Hollowgolem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-10, 03:36   Link #9
sa547
*Author

What's in those drives? And how old are they?

Hm, have you tried using newer IDE cables? And then are you sure the hard drive jumpers are set properly (that is, master for the first one, and slave for the second)?