Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-06-04, 04:46   Link #41
Psieye
Lore Hunter

Send a message via AIM to Psieye Send a message via MSN to Psieye
Working! gathered 1500+ images on Pixiv by ep 3, which average shows may not manage even after 12 eps. It is certain that it's very popular. Angel beats took some time for Japan to warm up to, but now it's doing exceedingly well (thanks to Kanade). Mind you... Durarara has... 54700 vs 3300 (Working!) Pixiv images as of today because there are a LOT of IzayaxShizuru images.

As for that poll, that's almost certainly Yui from K-ON, who has ridiculous popularity that I cannot really understand. Yui-nyan is nowhere near that popular, though she does have some weight.

Moe Culture Essays (my archive of my long posts); J Saimoe 2008 Wiki pages (minimialistic ASuki link library for now)
Old 2010-06-04, 07:47   Link #42
pseudonhym
わかんないよ

I just realized that Mio lost against Kana last year. I guess K-On fans would rely more on Yui and Asuza if it was based on last year's results.... and since Yui came close to winning last year, I wouldn't be surprised if she wins this year (considering how popular K-On! is).

EDIT: Too bad no Saki this time.... or are they still included??
Old 2010-06-04, 07:57   Link #43
Psieye
Lore Hunter

Saki was a 26 ep series that spanned across Spring and Summer. That should mean it's qualified going by old rules. Let's wait to see the actual rules before speculating seriously.

Still, don't forget the old assassination rule - popular characters are at risk of being killed off early by deliberate focus fire from supporters of all other popular characters. Doesn't always happen (or succeed if it does), but it can.

Moe Culture Essays (my archive of my long posts); J Saimoe 2008 Wiki pages (minimialistic ASuki link library for now)
Old 2010-06-04, 08:02   Link #44
pseudonhym
わかんないよ

Ahh yes.. quite true. I guess it's safe to say that Mio was assassinated last year, and Yui might get assassinated this year. It's good to know that Saki might still qualify, got quite a lot of characters i like in that show.
Old 2010-06-04, 16:19   Link #45
Aya Reiko
Cutengu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eater of All View Post
Oh shit, it's already here. Taiga winning the Saimoe tiara still feels like it was only yesterday.

Let's see what darkhouses we have this year:
- Railgun: Mikoto, Uiharu, Saten
- Angel Beats: Kanade, Yurippe, Yui-nyan
- BakaTest: Himeji, Minami, Shouko
- Seitokai no Ichizon: Kurimu + friends
- Kobato: Kobato
- Nyan Koi: Twins, Mizuno
- Kimi ni Todoke: Sawako?
- Needless: Eve?
- Seiken no Blacksmith: Lisa?
- Sora no Woto: Kanata?
- Hanamaru Youchien: Every kindergartener in the cast?
Did you forget:
- Umineko: Most of the female cast? 7 Stakes + 5 Witches + 4 Aunts + 2 Cousins + 1 Maid + 1 Demon + 3 Bunnygirls + 1 Little Sister = 24 Darkhorses (at least).

Last edited by Aya Reiko; 2010-06-04 at 16:38.
Old 2010-06-04, 17:47   Link #46
Psieye
Lore Hunter

Oh yeah, Umineko definitely does qualify for this year. Darn it's hard to remember when an anime adaptation came out when the source material has been constantly released for years. Still, not all characters are equal - "dark horse" in the sense of "hasn't been seen before" yes, but just having powerful series mojo alone doesn't make you a serious contender. As things get serious, only a handful of Umineko girls/women/witches will be worth considering. Then again, which girls those would be I'm not certain of as the source material has gone beyond the anime.

Old 2010-06-04, 20:50   Link #47
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudonhym View Post
Not sure, but I have a feeling that Fate is still a strong contender.

Basing on that, it's possible that Fate/Nanoha might still be a good contender, and Mahiru beating Mio, Yui (Not sure if its Yui in K-On or Yui in Angel Beats, pink haired girl) and Kanade in a poll could signify that Working is popular in Japan afterall.
Is that the most current Megami rankings? Surprised Fate's still tanking the top spot despite the ongoing K-ON craze. Although I guess I should be more surprised Mio isn't even in top 4. Also wonder where Mikoto went, she was #1 or 2 not long ago. Lastly, Ritsu's there but not Azusa? Wat.

Japan loves loli Nanofate and that's what the movie gave them.
Old 2010-06-05, 07:10   Link #48
pseudonhym
わかんないよ

Not quite sure if its the most current. I just saw it on the Working! thread.

And yes... I did quite forgot about umineko.... Lots of females there, and Ange too....
Old 2010-06-13, 18:11   Link #49
krko
The Movie is Coming

Ah, I've been heavily anticipating this tournament, especially since ISML has been... displeasing as of late.

Saimoe 2010 looks to be one of the most exciting Jsaimoe yet. Off the top of my head, a short series analysis of some of the fandoms I've been following (assuming that the banlist will still be in force this year):

K-On!!: Its back and this it'll be showing throughout most of the tournament. While K-On! as a faction did pretty poorly last year, it still was able to push Yui all the way into the finals. Character strength probably goes Yui>Mio>Azusa>(big gap)>Ritsu=Mugi, with Ui somewhere within the lower edges of that gap

Haruhi: Nagato will be huge a threat this year due to the disappearance movie. Haruhi herself isn't as big of a threat but she still should be able to win a few rounds. Mikuru will probably be used to hate vote someone strong and abandoned next round.

Angel Beats!: Took some time to build up steam in Japan but looks like it'll be stronger than Index last year at least, probably going all the way into champ level. Main two threats are Tenshi and Yurippe, other characters are negligible unless they go all Saki level faction voting this year.

Railgun: The strongest character of Index gets her own series. Mikoto's strength is rather variable, but she should reach group finals at least. Other character shouldn't be able go farther than w/e Mikoto reaches, so long as matchups are decent

Saki: Should still be a force but it'll probably be weaker this year, since its no longer show plus the fact that it dominated a little too much

Hayate no Gotoku: Main threats are Hina and Nagi. Strength level is kinda unclear right now but it should be weaker this year. In other words I'm not expecting much but won't be really surprised if they start tearing up the brackets.

Bakemonogatari: The show that outsold the first season of K-On should be at least a decent contender this year but more data is needed before deciding whether its champion level. Early Japanese polls suggest Nadeko>Hitagi, with the rest of the character around Mikuru's level

Fate/Stay Night: The fact this can only qualify via a movie means that it relies a lot on preexisting strength. And it was strong. But the question is, have Saber and friends retained their old strength?

Nanoha: Same situation with Fate/stay Night, except that it looks like Fate and Nanoha have indeed retained much of their old strength.

I personally want B Gata H Kei and Sora no Woto to do well but I don't think they'll be an important factor in the tournament. Hidamari Sketch should be factor but I don't think it'll do as good as I want it to do.
Old 2010-06-13, 18:18   Link #50
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Why does qualifying from a movie mean that? Yuki might be able to get in via Haruhi second season as well, but that season certainly isn't what will boost her; it's the movie.

The only question is whether most of the Japanese Saimoe voters have watched the movie in theaters, or are waiting for BD and DvD release.
Old 2010-06-13, 18:27   Link #51
Psieye
Lore Hunter

I would say most Japanese Saimoe voters have read the novels and are aware of even Kuyoh. Anyway, I submit that the recent surge/spam of Yui shots in Pixiv suggest she'll be a lot stronger than people give her credit for right now. I also ponder at Saten Ruiko's chances (certainly better than Kuroko or the other girl... gosh darn so forgetable...), though yeah it's not gonna be like Mikoto's stats.

I guess I'll get the wiki set up later this week.

Old 2010-06-13, 19:32   Link #52
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi. View Post
Why does qualifying from a movie mean that? Yuki might be able to get in via Haruhi second season as well, but that season certainly isn't what will boost her; it's the movie.

The only question is whether most of the Japanese Saimoe voters have watched the movie in theaters, or are waiting for BD and DvD release.
I think they prob watched the movie, then are still waiting for BD and DVD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psieye View Post
I would say most Japanese Saimoe voters have read the novels and are aware of even Kuyoh. Anyway, I submit that the recent surge/spam of Yui shots in Pixiv suggest she'll be a lot stronger than people give her credit for right now. I also ponder at Saten Ruiko's chances (certainly better than Kuroko or the other girl... gosh darn so forgetable...), though yeah it's not gonna be like Mikoto's stats.

I guess I'll get the wiki set up later this week.
Yui-nyan or Gitah Yui? And I'll add a link to the OP.
Old 2010-06-14, 00:17   Link #53
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

We'll see if they try to assassinate Mio again this year...or even Yuki...though Yuki is a proven quantity...at least against Haruhi and Mikuru.

The only thing really missing from the 2006 Saimoe this year is the Rozen Maidens.
Old 2010-06-14, 02:53   Link #54
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
We'll see if they try to assassinate Mio again this year...or even Yuki...though Yuki is a proven quantity...at least against Haruhi and Mikuru.

The only thing really missing from the 2006 Saimoe this year is the Rozen Maidens.
I'm thinking that Mio will get hated on again; I'd say Yuki too, but I hear she captured the hearts of many in Disappearance. Will that be enough to settle the masses?

I dunno, I'm having a feeling that the girls who get far will be the ones who are at least decently popular, yet not popular enough to have tons of haters. Not a very credible theory, I know, but seeing how Mio lost to Boss last year got me thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krko View Post
Angel Beats!: Took some time to build up steam in Japan but looks like it'll be stronger than Index last year at least, probably going all the way into champ level. Main two threats are Tenshi and Yurippe, other characters are negligible unless they go all Saki level faction voting this year.
Seeing the results of the ongoing popularity contest of the Angel Beats characters, Japan doesn't quite like anyone other than Kanade and TK much, meaning that Kanade may be the only character with some strength in Saimoe. Moeness-wise, I'm expecting Yuri to get somewhere, but I think Kanade is pretty much guaranteed to be AB's star representative.

Last edited by Kudryavka; 2010-06-14 at 03:03.
Old 2010-06-14, 03:22   Link #55
pseudonhym
わかんないよ

Is that 1.66 million votes for Kanade?? and 1.48 million for TK? and the next nearest contender is Yuri with 1.5k votes? That's insane....
Old 2010-06-14, 03:39   Link #56
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudonhym View Post
Is that 1.66 million votes for Kanade?? and 1.48 million for TK? and the next nearest contender is Yuri with 1.5k votes? That's insane....
And it's been like that since the start of the series. I guess Japan likes their English speakers and quiet deadpan girls.
Old 2010-06-14, 03:50   Link #57
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

I don't believe polls like that are legit. That's like half of all otaku in Japan voting in that poll.

If it's not being completely overwhelmed by proxies, my guess is one i.p. can vote once every day. That's how they do it on 2ch polls. But those 2ch polls only make it to 4k in the span of a month.

Like so:
http://www.vote-web.jp/cgi-bin/read....me/1000000051/
Old 2010-06-14, 04:02   Link #58
pseudonhym
わかんないよ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komari View Post
And it's been like that since the start of the series. I guess Japan likes their English speakers and quiet deadpan girls.
I like my share of quiet deadpan girls, but 1.66M votes is unbelievable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi. View Post
I don't believe polls like that are legit. That's like half of all otaku in Japan voting in that poll.
True. But then, seeing the passion of these people just makes you wonder what they won't do just to see their favorites win.

EDIT: @Demi that poll seems more believable, but it's still Tenshi winning by 17%
Old 2010-06-14, 04:03   Link #59
frustra
Team M.Y.T.Hi.C.

true or not, it's obvious that Tenshi is strong. perhaps, too strong to win Saimoe.
Old 2010-06-14, 04:18   Link #60
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by frustra View Post
true or not, it's obvious that Tenshi is strong. perhaps, too strong to win Saimoe.
I was wondering whether or not Tenshi is popular enough to attract hate votes. I was thinking that the haters would flock to more obvious targets, but maybe Tenshi will be a target as well.
Closed Thread

Tags
2010, saimoe