AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

Old 2007-04-20, 04:04   Link #1481
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

I don't think we'll be going down the road of self parody here, but I expect references like Haruhi to pop up enough. I think it's balanced by other satire pokes like the street fighter scene and the tekken scene (I found it humorous the men played females and she played a guy). I wouldn't worry too much.

Edit: Someone already mentioned what game it was to Vexx. Also, what I meant by self parody is that while it is an obvious poke at the geek/otaku/whatever cultures, I don't think the show will turn into a giant Kyoani self parody, but since it is a Kyoani work I expect some amount of that.

Last edited by Solace; 2007-04-20 at 04:11. Reason: Pirates and ninjas stormed my room and made me do it.
Solace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-20, 04:17   Link #1482
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
Lucky [insert foul, vulgar, family unfriendly, and utterly unrepeatable word here].

You know, I'm starting to think that it's not so much that Kaioshin-chan is specifically an anti-KyoAni-ist, per se......I'm getting the feeling that she's just a natural-born anarchist. Simply put, it doesn't have to be KyoAni; just put anything remotely mainstream-popular in front of her, and she'll have a go at it.

I wonder if Kaioshin-chan will turn on Sunrise if it ever gains anywhere near the amount of popularity KyoAni apparently is getting. It'll be tres amusing to watch her go at it.
I already have a few issues with the abundance of C.C in lieu of other characters who are just as important if that's what you mean. I am also a male not a female. You can call me Kaioshin-Chan if you absolutely must, but I ask that you please don't call me her, she or any other female connotation.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-20, 04:18   Link #1483
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankoku View Post
(I found it humorous the men played females and she played a guy).
It is sort of true. Most of the casual male fighting game players tend to go with the chicks (if it is not for the shotos first). The few female ones are going for the male (but usually for the pretty boys).
But thinking of Konata's gaming skills, she have gone for the character type that have the high risk, high reward factor in him, the Big Bad Grappler.

I am personally more into chargies, rushdowners, and some grapplers for the fun.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-20, 04:20   Link #1484
JediNight
キズランダム

AH, the whole "Burning Arisa" and other pics for Nanoha were a play on Galaxy Angel?
JediNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-20, 04:23   Link #1485
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Yup, I'm the same way as Konata actually. Most of my character choices are female and I tend to pick the ones that have high risk/reward styles. Usually the only time I'll play a guy is when there is no female choice or the choice doesn't work with my playstyle. But I grumble about it! Looking at her style she likes to take advantage of people who go for the dive/charge kind of moves, so the Grappler makes alot of sense.

Last edited by Solace; 2007-04-20 at 04:26. Reason: And then Ninjas! Thousands of them!
Solace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-20, 04:30   Link #1486
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
It is sort of true. Most of the casual male fighting game players tend to go with the chicks (if it is not for the shotos first). The few female ones are going for the male (but usually for the pretty boys).
But thinking of Konata's gaming skills, she have gone for the character type that have the high risk, high reward factor in him, the Big Bad Grappler.

I am personally more into chargies, rushdowners, and some grapplers for the fun.
I go with the loli character actually. In Street Fighter I am a Sakura player, in Guilty Gear I am a May player as well as a bit of Dizzy and Jam Kurodoberi and in King of Fighters my team is composed of Captain Kula Diamond, Second Athena Asamiya, Third Hinako Shijou and Fourth Yuri Sakazaki and sometimes swap one out for Malin or May Lee (Who I always seem to get when I randomize somethimes. I wouldn't say I'm any kind of a normal fighting game player though. I'm also interested in checking out the Beart Sisters and Lilly Kane among others in the latest KOF games. Here's to hoping they add Rose Bernstein into a future game.

I also retract my earlier statement that Kyoto Animation is the only company praised for out of context ads. See Code Geass for the reason why.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2007-04-20 at 04:45.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-20, 04:55   Link #1487
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
I am also a male not a female. You can call me Kaioshin-Chan if you absolutely must, but I ask that you please don't call me her, she or any other female connotation.
Sorry, but I can't do that.

Envisioning you as a loudmouth Tsundere female is the only thing that prevent me from going berserk and swear at you for being a lunatic, probably involving typing in all CAPS and using multiple coloured fonts and symb@1s. A flame war will start and I would get banned. Not pretty.

Yes, you do annoy me that much. And yes, it is sexist that I can tolerate this from a female, but not from a male. That's why "psycho" exists as a female moe-mode.
(Example: Skane's signature just below my post.)
#############################

Back on topic, another anime-board I frequent had pointed out that Kona-chan did not change her shirt through out the entire Golden Week holiday while playing MMO. That's four days without showering. Further, she was still wearing that shirt when she visited Tsukasa's house. Seriously, at least change clothes if you are visiting your friend...

Quote:
I also retract my earlier statement that Kyoto Animation is the only company praised for out of context ads. See Code Geass for the reason why.
Actually, Pizza Hut only payed for a small amount of advertising space on Code Geass. Sunrise was just having too much fun and decided to add more pizza references for the humour effect. The PizzaHut representative was shocked when he saw an actual PizzaHut delivery scooter appearing in the show... This wasn't done out of greed, but out of "hell, let's see how crazy we can get!".

Last edited by Vallen Chaos Valiant; 2007-04-20 at 05:34.
Vallen Chaos Valiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-20, 05:03   Link #1488
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

The following is based on [a.f.k.]'s fansub.

Random Thoughts on Ep02:
---- ----
  • Lots of choice Kagami moments. She is the "straight man" in this comedy routine, and her punchlines are often a killer. Best one in this episode was probably, "That's just wrong" after seeing Konata's test result.
  • When that man skulked away from the girls in the arcade, the following phrase came to mind.

"A Man's Pride"
  • The part about "May Sickness" flew over my head. I understood what they were saying, but it wasn't clicking with me. Oh well, hit and miss as they say.
  • I can relate with the dentist discussion as my visits to the dentist are never happy ones. The drill is bad enough, but when the pick comes out... hoo boy.
  • Points for self-referential humour with regards to the issue of the cast-change between the Drama CD and the anime.
  • Despite "winning" the face-staring contest, the joke ended up being on Konata.
  • Envy in the Lucky Channel. I also wonder whether they are trying to make a point out of the exploitation of children in idol contests. It's unnerving to see people using their children to gain fame when those kids barely just started walking.
  • Best part of Lucky Channel has to be, "What was that?" Even taken out of context, it is still funny due to the efforts of the VA and the animation used to convey the scene.
  • What was up with the deep voice in the preview?
Cheers.
Old 2007-04-20, 05:44   Link #1489
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Sorry, but I can't do that.
To put in a different perspective of arguments, I can never get why some people seem to fawn over tsundere properties in females, but gives tsundere guys the asshole treatment. I don't believe in gender bias, but the outright proportion is scary in a sense. I don't think there's a single fan who likes the main guy of Hot Gimmick to give a tasteless example (( one of the worst males tsunderes )).

Anyway, episode 2 was good even if I think the flow or structure could be improved. Some parts felt decently flowed and connected, and some parts don't. Now if only they could get rid of the annoying Lucky Channel...That stint is starting to irritate me already.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-20, 06:36   Link #1490
CrazyPerson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
To put in a different perspective of arguments, I can never get why some people seem to fawn over tsundere properties in females, but gives tsundere guys the asshole treatment. I don't believe in gender bias, but the outright proportion is scary in a sense. I don't think there's a single fan who likes the main guy of Hot Gimmick to give a tasteless example (( one of the worst males tsunderes )).
I think it has something to do with society's perceived gender roles. Females are seen more as empathic and emotional while men are seen as direct and more focused emotionally.

With female tsunderes the two different states kind of act as a foil for each other, making both tsun and dere more valued and contrasted. Or maybe it's "the more you can't have it (like the one of the sides), the more you want it." Hell, maybe men are just more masochistic in their relationships with females, and would prefer females better for the pain. :P

"Men are more direct" way of seeing things could show male tsunderes in a way that gives superfluous, overexaggerated, or fake feeling to their actions. Maybe give off an untrustworthy or out-of-character feel of a character. A strange thought: because male tsunderes aren't well defined and more rare, it's harder to accept them?

About the ep, however, I can totally relate to Konata's slacking off as I type this post, simply because I have a huge exam in 11 hours, and I haven't slept for 20. I should be studying for said exam right now, but here I am, typing posts at 4 in the morning. Maybe I can pull a Konata and get my 89% I loved the Taiko drum thing, but what they should have done is animated the girls actually playing the drum game with Konata being super good like the Youtube fella and animated it at super fast speeds. They sure as heck ain't using their full potential anytime soon, might as well slip some of it in, right?
CrazyPerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-20, 06:52   Link #1491
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Lucky Star now has it's own forum.

This thread will become the "generic" thread to cover topics not suitable for the existing threads in the forum

Please check the existing threads (and request any if they don't exist) and continue your discussion in the new threads. Thanks.

P.S. It may be possible to move some of the recent posts (from the last few hours) from this thread into one of the specific new threads, so let me know (by PM) if you want such a post moved.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-20, 07:03   Link #1492
Cyz
"Show it to me"

Wow! Lucky Star must be really popular if it got its own section
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig
Cyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-20, 07:05   Link #1493
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyz View Post
Wow! Lucky Star must be really popular if it got its own section
Says Cyz in post number 1499 The fansubs are also getting large numbers of downloads (for a non-shounen series at that).
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-20, 07:42   Link #1494
bkg9990
Singin Diamond Crevasse
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to bkg9990 Send a message via Yahoo to bkg9990
yeah! finally a section on lucky star!
Old 2007-04-20, 07:43   Link #1495
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

With a new section, expect the One-Man Crusade (with capital letters) against the evils of moe-ism of Kyo-Ani from a certain self-styled Kyo-Ani critic to intensify.
Kinny Riddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-20, 07:49   Link #1496
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinny Riddle View Post
With a new section, expect the One-Man Crusade (with capital letters) from a certain self-styled Kyo-Ani critic to intensify.
In the sense that he'd be appearing in multiple threads rather than one gigantic one?

A section here simply reflects early boost of popularity. Lucky Star will most likely be able to maintain it's presence in the episodes to come, since Lucky Star being a faithful 4-koma adaption will most likely follow the rules of "screw the rules, I have money" in the twisted sense of "screw the plot, we have moe" in a non-negative kind of way, just in case that sounded bad. Kyoto Animation had always been respectively popular here and they also know how to hit the respective fans in the correct places, so it's not too strange, quality of storytelling notwithstanding.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-20, 07:53   Link #1497
Zappster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Back on topic, another anime-board I frequent had pointed out that Kona-chan did not change her shirt through out the entire Golden Week holiday while playing MMO. That's four days without showering. Further, she was still wearing that shirt when she visited Tsukasa's house. Seriously, at least change clothes if you are visiting your friend...
It doesn't necessarily mean that. She could just have had a shower but not bothered changing clothes afterwards. Or perhaps she has loads of those shirts.
Zappster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-20, 07:58   Link #1498
JediNight
キズランダム

Yay our own sub-forum =D

About Konata and her shirt: While I wouldn't put it past her to not shower, she could do the same thing I do. During winter I'll have like my "slumming sweatshirt" that I wear in front of my computer. So I'm taking it on/off multiple times over a few days.

It's not like a sweatshirt is in direct contact with your body like t-shirts are. And Konata is probably using maybe 1 donut's worth of energy a day, so I doubt sweat is an issue haha... And it being Konata, I don't think she really cares what she wears when visiting her friends, especially for only a study group.

I attend my anime club in pajama pants half the time haha ;P
JediNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-20, 09:37   Link #1499
Sun-Ku

Well that is NOTHING if you take Gundam Wing in Consideration. What was ist? Hero with the same clothes for 50 Eps?
Old 2007-04-20, 09:51   Link #1500
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

First, yay for a whole section for Lucky Star
Second, Heero didn't wear same clothes for 50 eps. He changed many kind of clothes depend on where he was.

Last edited by Duo Maxwell; 2007-04-20 at 10:06.
Duo Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, comptiq, kadokawa, school life, seinen