Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2010-05-03, 19:55   Link #181
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion Valkyrie View Post
The card really is designed for an older format where creatures sucked and permission based control decks ruled the land. I mean, Phrexian Negator was a beast back then, but it's pretty much unplayable in today's format.
There's talk of Bloodlord possibly being playable in constructed right now actually, just really terrible in draft where everyone has a ton of spawn tokens and/or walls lying around.

Negator on the other hand would be completely unplayable yeah. It's still pretty fun to use in the Phyrexia vs The Coalition duel decks though. I actually managed to pull off turn 1 Dark Ritual into Priest of Gix into Negator. Turn 4 kill in what is normally a really drawn out game, haha.
RWBladewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-06, 21:28   Link #182
Xion Valkyrie

Seems like aggro is dying again, along with competitive budget decks:

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazin...tg/daily/td/89

Dominating archetypes right now are all forms of UW control + splash, along with a version that plays 12 planeswalkers aka Planeswalkers Control. Jund seems to have dropped quite a bit in terms of popularity. The only other aggro deck that did well was Mythic, a $800+ deck. Vampires were nowhere to be seen, although there might have been a bit of red aggro with devastating summons, but they didn't seem to place that well either.

Last edited by Xion Valkyrie; 2010-05-07 at 01:14.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-07, 00:19   Link #183
Nosauz

Dredging this baby back to the top.

M11 prerelease just around the corner. I'm exited, the blue leyline, the new survival on a stick, the titan cycle all look great, getting ready for sweet sweet limited play.
Nosauz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-07, 08:41   Link #184
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

Probably won't be seeing many more posts from me in here since I've all but quit the game for good and only play against my friends now. This game has the worst community I have ever seen and I got fed up with it. I've had enough of playing against people who respond to a sporting "good game" with "nah it wasn't good because of [insert reason]", insult me for winning the game, or even outright cheat. Articles by "pro players" that claim a "good game" and a handshake are insults and incredibly rude, and defend angle-shooting and rules lawyering as competitive and sportsmanlike plays, don't really make my opinion any more positive. I even read a forum post recently on a very prominent strategy site that proudly stated "Honor has no place in a competitive game" and then had several posts afterward lauding and agreeing with him. Seriously?!

So yeah, great game, but totally ruined for me by the people who play it.
Old 2010-07-07, 08:59   Link #185
Nosauz

I would say all communities have these sorts, like in fps's you have 12 years screaming racial and gay epitets like they have tourettes, and in basketball you have fans denoucing a hard won series as the refs throwing it, and that their team actually won, I really hope you don't get discouraged because for the most part the community especially locally tends to be quite good. It's like people quiting poker over Phil Helmouth saying that if poker was all skill he'd win all the time.
Old 2010-07-07, 09:08   Link #186
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosauz View Post
I would say all communities have these sorts, like in fps's you have 12 years screaming racial and gay epitets like they have tourettes, and in basketball you have fans denoucing a hard won series as the refs throwing it, and that their team actually won, I really hope you don't get discouraged because for the most part the community especially locally tends to be quite good. It's like people quiting poker over Phil Helmouth saying that if poker was all skill he'd win all the time.
Not entirely the same thing with those analogies. In the basketball example you are talking about the fans, not the people actually playing the game. Fans don't represent the players themselves and any player who does act exceedingly unsporting is typically lambasted by the media. In fps's you can just mute the idiots and continue playing as if they weren't saying anything. Not possible in a RL head-to-head game.

Also, the examples I mentioned as having happened to me are entirely from playing against the local community, so no, around here it is no better.
Old 2010-07-07, 09:18   Link #187
Nosauz

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBladewing View Post
Not entirely the same thing with those analogies. In the basketball example you are talking about the fans, not the people actually playing the game. Fans don't represent the players themselves and any player who does act exceedingly unsporting is typically lambasted by the media. In fps's you can just mute the idiots and continue playing as if they weren't saying anything. Not possible in a RL head-to-head game.

Also, the examples I mentioned as having happened to me are entirely from playing against the local community, so no, around here it is no better.
Aww that sucks, at my local store it's pretty nice, everybody knows everybody, occasionally there are net deckers who try to come in and hustle people but that's usually frowned upon, plus it doesn't really matter since we play competitively and also do drafts to avoid those types. But yeah your local community really is what makes or breaks the game. I do feel bad for you. My example of phil is pretty accurate though as I have seen this guy bitch and moan like it's nobodies business. Boohoo your pocket rockets got beat.
Old 2010-07-07, 12:32   Link #188
krko
The Movie is Coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBladewing View Post
Probably won't be seeing many more posts from me in here since I've all but quit the game for good and only play against my friends now. This game has the worst community I have ever seen and I got fed up with it. I've had enough of playing against people who respond to a sporting "good game" with "nah it wasn't good because of [insert reason]", insult me for winning the game, or even outright cheat. Articles by "pro players" that claim a "good game" and a handshake are insults and incredibly rude, and defend angle-shooting and rules lawyering as competitive and sportsmanlike plays, don't really make my opinion any more positive. I even read a forum post recently on a very prominent strategy site that proudly stated "Honor has no place in a competitive game" and then had several posts afterward lauding and agreeing with him. Seriously?!

So yeah, great game, but totally ruined for me by the people who play it.
One's level of rules lawyering should be tied to the level you're playing. If I'm playing in a Pro-Tour and someone, say, asks me what my Oblivion Ring is targeting, I sure as hell won't let them Negate it once I answer. In a casual game, I'll tell my opponent that asking that means the ring has already entered battlefield, and ask if they are sure. I'll also definitely call a Judge when some makes an error that counts as a game loss(say forgetting to sideout before game 1) in a PT but ignore it in casual games. But stuff like deck stacking/meshing are just no, no matter what level you're playing in.

M11 is looking really good though. Grave Titan is sexy and there nothing else on the mythics list (other than BSA) that scream all decks of this color must have this card.
krko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-07, 14:32   Link #189
Nosauz

uh, krko, fauna shaman will pretty much be a 4 of if you can consistently produce green and a colorless by turn 2, it's jsut too good to not play, even in non creature strats like turbo land in std. Most likely will even see extensive play in jund to eat a removal spell. It's definitely a power card once it resolves. Also the return of mana leak should make any blue mage squirm as it is now the premium standard at which soft counters come.
Old 2010-09-10, 18:45   Link #190
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

I heard you guys like Fauna Shaman:

Eisdrache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-10, 18:51   Link #191
frustra
Team M.Y.T.Hi.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisdrache View Post
I heard you guys like Fauna Shaman:

problem, fetchlands?

good to see this thread back up again. anyway, Koth's gonna be hammering wallets in the near future. and yeah, hello there Mox.

but my favorite so far is trinket mage returning. good times.
Old 2010-09-11, 18:52   Link #192
Gin
*Artist

Oh cool, Mirrodin is back, that was one of the last sets I played.
Old 2010-09-20, 17:37   Link #193
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

Welcome to the next round of the Scars of Myrrodin spoiler show! This time we will present you the fearsome Blue Eyes Black Dragon:

Spoiler for #1:

But not all hope is lost. Rebels have gathered under the flag of Ezuri the Renegade Leader! He himself sent forward his mighty warriors to support you in your quest of fighting back the invaders:

Spoiler for #2:

However! Strange creatures are lurking in the shadows, some with special abilities to keep them safe from harm while others will enable you to cast even scarier allies:
Spoiler for #3:

See you later to another episode of the spoiler show!
Eisdrache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-14, 11:03   Link #194
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

Figured I'd try bumping this as I'm now playing pretty frequently again. (It's pretty funny reading that I'd posted I quit for good a year ago, no idea what frame of mind I was even in when I made that post, haha).

Anyone else play EDH? A lot of players have popped up in my area lately but I tend to only stick to one specific group as I build my decks pretty seriously as opposed to casually (sweeper effects and counterspells that a lot of people would complain aren't "fun", etc).

Have also encountered 2 people in the last few weeks that have had really old and valuable cards with no idea what they're worth, including a mint condition Underground Sea thrown in a random box with a bunch of commons. These weren't oldschool players who have been out of the game for a while either, they're current players who play constantly. It's just really surprising that with the internet as prevalent as it is, people still don't look up what their stuff is worth. (And no I didn't rip them off if anyone is wondering.)
Old 2013-02-07, 14:59   Link #195
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

Going to try reviving this thread one last time before letting it die off for good. Anyone here still play?
Old 2016-08-25, 18:49   Link #196
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Back to playing the game.

Although, currently no Modern tournaments are in my area, and my decks are all for Modern... :<
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-27, 21:07   Link #197
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
If you somehow manage to find a Modern tournament, beware the new Dredge decks

On the video game side, any idea if the newest release is any good? I understand the video game version keeps getting worse with every rendition

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-30, 07:32   Link #198
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Thanks. I play on paper only. Hmm, we may have no Modern tournaments.. but there are some players with Modern decks here. So far...haven't encountered a dredge deck yet. The meta here in my area are mostly Abzan combo, Burn, Affinity, Merfolk, and a few Tron and Kiki-chord decks.

And sorry for late reply.
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-30, 19:43   Link #199
einhorn303

Have you considered playing Commander? It can be easier to get casual pick-up games of it, even without tournaments. I started playing Magic in 1997, and had quit for a long time, but learning about Commander got me back into the game big time. It's so fun to make creative theme decks instead of just 100% optimization every time.
einhorn303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-19, 15:51   Link #200
AnimeFan188

Some people will counterfeit anything:

My Fake 'Magic: The Gathering' Cards Fooled Almost Everyone:

"If you found yourself in a prison cell with a hardened criminal asking what you're in for,
what's the most embarrassing possible answer? We're going to go with "Magic: The
Gathering card counterfeiter."

The laughter would abruptly end, however, when they found out just how much these
collectible cards sell for. Games like Yu-Gi-Oh!, Pokemon, and -- the granddaddy of them
all -- Magic: The Gathering remain a $4.3 billion industry. Get good enough at making your
own cards and it's more lucrative -- and safer -- than printing your own cash.

We talked to a guy who makes his living doing just that:"

See:

http://www.cracked.com/personal-expe...ing-cards.html
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote