AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-04-30, 01:32   Link #7001
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
i don't think Regan if he was running in 2010 could have earn the support of the teabaggers.
They might have given him at east a first terme, more because of that those teabaggers would have see of him ( his movies ) than his politic.
Old 2010-04-30, 01:50   Link #7002
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
On the other hand, if they manage to pay the debt off.......anyone who bought the bonds are going to end up seriously rich.
The demand for houses and estates in spain is low, yet they have an overstock of new build homes which they cannot sell. And still building more of them... just one example of the hows and whys that lead to this debt. Its not very likely that this part of the debt (building related) will ever be repaid (a part of it at best).
Old 2010-04-30, 16:56   Link #7003
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
This oughta interest those who enjoy the Bourne series.

Quote:
LA police hunt man with 'Bourne-like' identity

Fri Apr 30, 12:45 PM

LOS ANGELES (AFP) - Los Angeles police are hunting a mystery man who fled as they raided his apartment, leaving behind piles of bogus cash, high-tech counterfeiting equipment and weapons, it was reported Friday.

The Los Angeles Times quoted police officers as saying that the 33-year-old suspect escaped from his high-rise apartment via a back window and via escape in a scene reminiscent of the "Bourne Identity" action films.

"He escaped like Jason Bourne," Los Angeles Police Department deputy chief Mike Downing of the Counter-Terrorism Bureau, told the Times.

After being given the slip, detectives discovered stacks of counterfeit 100-dollar bills totaling 15,000 dollars, sophisticated counterfeiting equipment, a camera tripod and a cache of weapons including an AK-47 assault rifle.

Police also discovered multiple identification documents including passports under different aliases which has left them wondering who exactly they are hunting, the Times reported.

The 3,400-dollar-a-month penthouse's balcony was also directly opposite the US Federal Reserve Building in downtown Los Angeles.

"The curiosity in this case is the strategic location in which he chose to operate," Downing said.

The suspect has been named as Brian Alexik, a 33-year-old from New Jersey. A man described as an associate of Alexik was arrested Thursday.

But police admit they do not know what Alexik's intent was.

"There were many levels of criminality," Downing told the Times. "He's funding a criminal enterprise. He's dabbling in narcotics, he's manufacturing weapons parts. But what is it? Was there a bigger plan? What was his intent?

"We have a lot of questions for him when he is arrested."

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Old 2010-04-30, 19:41   Link #7004
Haruka_Kitten
The AnimeSuki Pet kitten
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to Haruka_Kitten Send a message via Yahoo to Haruka_Kitten
Quote:
SLAIN underworld boss Carl Williams was buried with his daughter Dhakota's precious dummy.

As Williams lay in his favourite jeans in a $50,000 gold-plated coffin, nine-year-old Dhakota was encouraged by family and friends to part with her dummy.

In a bizarre graveside moment, her sisters urged: "One, two, two-and-a-half, three."

Pictures: Carl Williams farewelled

Multimedia: Click here to see the faces of The Gangland Wars

And with that Dhakota tossed her treasured possession on to her father's shiny coffin, winning applause from about 80 mourners on hand to watch Williams lowered into his final resting place at Keilor cemetery.

A moment later a man threw in a small plastic bobble-head doll.

As white balloons were passed to family and close friends, one mourner was heard to remark what a commotion there would be if one were to burst.

While people drifted off to cars or the nearby wake, Roberta Williams stood at the end of her ex-husband's grave, before placing a single white rose on the nearby grave of hitman "Benji" Veniamin.

Roberta told a service for Williams at St Therese's Church in Essendon that Carl made her walk tall.

She described him as a man who loved her and took in her three children - Tye, Danielle and Breanane - and treated them as his own.

In turn, his stepdaughters called him Dad.

She said Williams would live on through Dhakota, the spitting image of her father.

Fighting back tears and supported by Danielle, Roberta said Williams was her saviour.

"You gave me self-belief and confidence when it had been ripped away years before," she said.

"You didn't love Dhakota any more or less than my other three children."

Roberta was overcome with emotion when Tina Turner's hit, Simply the Best, was played to begin the service as she and Williams' father, George, comforted each other.

Danielle said Williams' crimes were to protect his family, which he showered with gifts.

"Whatever Carl done was for his family. Carl kept us safe," she said.

"You can judge us all you want but only God will judge us at the end of the day."

She also spoke of her ups and downs with Williams.

"You gave me $500 after my teeth fell out, because you were drunk," Danielle said, to laughter.

"You were my best friend.

"I'm sorry I didn't write to you and visit you as much as I should have. You were always there for me and stuck up for me. I have no excuse."

Breanane told of Williams' love of making his former wife angry, and how the sisters would chime in by teasing their mother about the glamorous women in his life.

"We used to get Mum really angry and speak about the hot girls that wrote to Carl.

"He would have a cheeky grin on his face and ask, 'how about your boys?'

"His cheeky grin would turn to a serious face: 'I don't mind if you have boyfriends'.

"Talk to boys but if anything further than kissing happens or he hurts you, I will have to send someone to his house."

Williams' bevy of blondes, including Renata Laureana, Nicole Mottram and Stacey Vella, were not at the funeral.

George Williams, looking stressed, did not deliver his own eulogy. Read by Breanane, it was full of regret.

Dhakota had the last word, reading a poem titled, Dad, you're all right, before reading a eulogy about their experiences together.

She spoke of Williams changing song lyrics to tease her mother.

"He would think he was really funny, but he didn't know he wasn't." She finished by saying, "Daddy, I love you".

There were few references to Williams' criminal past or the violent way he died in Barwon Prison last week.

A photo montage was screened, showing Williams as a doting dad. There were other slides of his wedding day, his parents and his stepchildren.

One photo showed Veniamin and an underworld figure, who cannot be named for legal reasons, posing with Williams.

Roberta Williams and her family were driven to Keilor cemetery in a black stretch Hummer while Williams was taken to his final resting place in a Mercedes hearse.

But there were no graveside tears for the gangland murderer. After Roberta scattered white rose petals into her former husband's grave, earth-moving equipment moved in to bury one of the bloodiest characters in this state's criminal history.
And he's dead. #30 in the notorious Melbourne Gangland murders is none other than "Babyface" Carl Williams, who was killed last Friday in a maximum security prison in the town of Lara. Foes Mick Gatto and Chopper Read showed no remorse after hearing the news, Gatto being heard saying "let dead dogs lie". Despite that, he was still a family man. Anyone looking for info on our Gangland wars should visit Wikipedia
Old 2010-05-01, 04:32   Link #7005
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinto View Post
The demand for houses and estates in spain is low, yet they have an overstock of new build homes which they cannot sell. And still building more of them... just one example of the hows and whys that lead to this debt. Its not very likely that this part of the debt (building related) will ever be repaid (a part of it at best).
Firstly the country has to lift their image and invite more people to come to their country, then those homes will be filled.

What the country needs to work on right now is to reduce its dependence on just a single industry like Greece. Rich countries don't work that way.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2010-05-01, 05:56   Link #7006
VVayfarer
Elite Member

Send a message via ICQ to VVayfarer Send a message via AIM to VVayfarer Send a message via MSN to VVayfarer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
It sounds like a romajinization of Icarus...
Close, but it's actually the Greek equivalent of Icarus.
Old 2010-05-02, 01:53   Link #7007
cors8
Kuu-chan is hungry

Vehicle with explosive device in Times Square

Wonder where this'll lead and what the surveillance cameras will show.
Old 2010-05-02, 10:27   Link #7009
Wervy
Cutely Pervy

That is horrible, there is no excuse for that.

If a doctor cant perform a abortion correctly he should losehis licence. God knows what danger the mother could of been in if he is that inept.
Old 2010-05-02, 10:38   Link #7010
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

I think it is that they are not aware of it being dead after it is sucked out from the womb. Must have been a really bad misdemeanour.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2010-05-02, 13:20   Link #7011
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Must have been a really bad misdemeanour.
I think under most legal systems your negligence causing the death of a minor isn't categorized as a misdemeanor. Usually that's categorized as a felony of some kind.

Which is ironic, since their explicit intent to terminate the exact same organism previously was perfectly, and they'd not be any legal trouble if they'd been successful.
Old 2010-05-02, 13:53   Link #7012
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
I think under most legal systems your negligence causing the death of a minor isn't categorized as a misdemeanor. Usually that's categorized as a felony of some kind.

Which is ironic, since their explicit intent to terminate the exact same organism previously was perfectly, and they'd not be any legal trouble if they'd been successful.
I think the problem lies in the fact that they ignored the child and only realised he/she was still alive after the abortion. The law states that the child must be treated immediately if it survives the abortion. I imagine it would be pretty damn hard to miss out on the fact that the baby survives an abortion, which leads me to think that they don't outright kill the fetus after it's extracted. If anything, the should change the post-abortion procedure to observe the child and treat it as you would a normal baby if it doesn't die on extraction. They were negligent after the operation. That's the problem, and negligence also has its price.
Old 2010-05-02, 15:14   Link #7013
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoko Takeo View Post
I think the problem lies in the fact that they ignored the child and only realised he/she was still alive after the abortion. The law states that the child must be treated immediately if it survives the abortion. I imagine it would be pretty damn hard to miss out on the fact that the baby survives an abortion, which leads me to think that they don't outright kill the fetus after it's extracted. If anything, the should change the post-abortion procedure to observe the child and treat it as you would a normal baby if it doesn't die on extraction. They were negligent after the operation. That's the problem, and negligence also has its price.
Legally speaking, that is entirely correct. Though I've personally thought from a logical standpoint that the distinctions were quit arbitrary. I think it's especially evident when you're dealing with a situation where Doctors acting in a medical capacity need to treat the "organism" as a medical problem that's solved by surgically killing it. But somehow by simply "not dying" the "organism" morally shifts from a medical nuisance to a human being.

The arbitrary nature of the distinction is probably why a Doctor who has experiance doing this kind of procedure is not necessarily likely to successfully perform the perspective flip of "medical nuisance that must be removed and discarded" to "human being/patient that the doctor has an obligation to".
Old 2010-05-02, 15:26   Link #7014
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Legally speaking, that is entirely correct. Though I've personally thought from a logical standpoint that the distinctions were quit arbitrary. I think it's especially evident when you're dealing with a situation where Doctors acting in a medical capacity need to treat the "organism" as a medical problem that's solved by surgically killing it. But somehow by simply "not dying" the "organism" morally shifts from a medical nuisance to a human being.

The arbitrary nature of the distinction is probably why a Doctor who has experiance doing this kind of procedure is not necessarily likely to successfully perform the perspective flip of "medical nuisance that must be removed and discarded" to "human being/patient that the doctor has an obligation to".
You're looking at this the wrong way. Once it's surviving on it's own, it's no longer a matter of it living off it's mother's body. When it was surviving off the mother's body, her rights take priority. That is to say, even if you consider an unborn fetus a full human, that does not give it the right to leech nutrients from its mother without her consent. Since the mother's rights are no longer an issue, as it's now separate from her, it makes perfect sense.
Old 2010-05-02, 16:16   Link #7015
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356 View Post
You're looking at this the wrong way. Once it's surviving on it's own, it's no longer a matter of it living off it's mother's body. When it was surviving off the mother's body, her rights take priority. That is to say, even if you consider an unborn fetus a full human, that does not give it the right to leech nutrients from its mother without her consent. Since the mother's rights are no longer an issue, as it's now separate from her, it makes perfect sense.

I know what you mean Rambo. That arbitrary shift you talk about comes from the false morals the Vatican so shamelessly propagates. You can see from the article that the Vatican is taking a pretty radical stance here and is asking people to reconsider their views on abortion. If it weren't for them, I doubt doctors in Italy would even give two sh*ts for the aborted fetus. That would make more sense to me because a prematurely extracted baby (not even born, it was forcefully extracted) has little hope to live. The body is too small and underdeveloped. Even if you treat it as a human, there is little hope. Also, even if it does live, who will take care of it? The mother certainly won't, she was the one that wanted it dead.

On the other hand, and like Kamui says, as long as the baby is inside the womb, the mother's rights take priority since it's taking nutrients from her body. Once it's out, it has to function on its own. Ergo, it has to be treated because it is technically a patient now, and it's their responsibility to take care of it since it was they who extracted it.
Old 2010-05-02, 21:35   Link #7016
yoropa
Director

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100502/...l_palestinians
Quote:
Originally Posted by Israel's PM welcomes progress toward peace talks
JERUSALEM – Israel's prime minister on Sunday welcomed Arab nations' endorsement of indirect, U.S.-brokered peace talks with the Palestinians, saying he is ready to restart negotiations "at any time and at any place."

Israeli and Palestinian officials said they expect the talks to begin by early next week, and one Israeli official said the dialogue would go beyond formalities and include preliminary discussions on "core issues" in the decades-long conflict.
I'm so happy I'm about to cry. I'm already tearing up.

I was watching this as it progressed:
* US-Israel relations degrade over Israel's construction projects
* Chaotic environment sweeps Middle East, no hope in sight
* Israel unexpectedly halts constructions in East Jerusalem and West Bank
* Palestine says it will negotiate
* Arab League says they will negotiate
* Israel says it will also negotiate

It's now time for the US to come into the picture again and help these two sides make a finalized peace. Please, nobody mess this up. This conflict has gone on long enough, and now an end actually seems possible. It may only be a small, remote beam of hope, but hope in this region is hope nonetheless. I hope that peace can finally be achieved, and that the Israelis and Palestinians can then continue to live their lives with a stable, peaceful relationship with one another.
Old 2010-05-02, 21:54   Link #7017
ClockWorkAngel
Aspiring Aspirer

Send a message via MSN to ClockWorkAngel
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoropa View Post
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100502/...l_palestinians

I'm so happy I'm about to cry. I'm already tearing up.

I was watching this as it progressed:
* US-Israel relations degrade over Israel's construction projects
* Chaotic environment sweeps Middle East, no hope in sight
* Israel unexpectedly halts constructions in East Jerusalem and West Bank
* Palestine says it will negotiate
* Arab League says they will negotiate
* Israel says it will also negotiate

It's now time for the US to come into the picture again and help these two sides make a finalized peace. Please, nobody mess this up. This conflict has gone on long enough, and now an end actually seems possible. It may only be a small, remote beam of hope, but hope in this region is hope nonetheless. I hope that peace can finally be achieved, and that the Israelis and Palestinians can then continue to live their lives with a stable, peaceful relationship with one another.
This is great news. This conflict has been going on too long and costing too many innocent lives for it to continue because of ideological differences. Hopefully now some closure can be achieved and this bloody thing will end.

Yes, let's hope no one messes this up.

Credit To Risa-chan!
Old 2010-05-02, 21:57   Link #7018
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Not to be devil's advocate, but there's still a probability that Iran will try and fuck things up.
Old 2010-05-02, 23:40   Link #7019
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Not to be devil's advocate, but there's still a probability that Iran will try and fuck things up.
Not surprising. The whole Arab world views Iran as a pain the Mideast, and neither does Israel like them.

Having two sides of the three in the Mideast brokering peace, it is natural that the turd would be threatened (pun intended).

Old 2010-05-03, 00:15   Link #7020
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Ya'll ought to review the history of the region before getting *too* excited... many, many cycles of this. It might happen when all sides, on their own, put their asshats in a locked box.

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international