AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Toradora!

Notices

View Poll Results: Toradora! - Episode 19 Rating
Perfect 10 151 66.23%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 39 17.11%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 19 8.33%
7 out of 10 : Good 10 4.39%
6 out of 10 : Average 4 1.75%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.44%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 4 1.75%
Voters: 228. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-02-13, 19:19   Link #221
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freya View Post
Eh I guess I didn't get that UFO and ghost part. Anyone caring to explain?
He said that they should see UFOs and ghosts together. As stated it was a metaphor for a relationship and falling in love. She said she should see any UFOs or ghosts, meaning she shouldn't be together with Ryuji or with anyone at all. This series is very good with the metaphors and all.

Okay.. EPIC episode. I voted 10. My jaw dropped when they sang on the stage together. That teddy bear was lame but the lame was the win in itself. He should have went to Minorin first and then to Taiga but obviously that wouldn't have worked for many reasons. Now I think its Ami's turn with Ryuji and then the final pair up towards the last couple of episodes.

This is a really good series, oh man.
Old 2009-02-13, 19:20   Link #222
Nukerjsr
Baka Inu~

Send a message via AIM to Nukerjsr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Actually its a very Japanese way..... non-confrontational and oblique.

On other notes... I'll wager the anime adaptation will portray Ryuuji's recalculation of the world around him a bit later perhaps in the next episode while he has time to think about things.
I really hope that's what happens in the next episode.
Old 2009-02-13, 19:22   Link #223
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Here's where I suggest that if you actually want to appreciate japanese entertainment, drama, comedy, etc --- some study of japanese culture, society, etiquette, and language would be really helpful (just like the entertainment of any other culture). Social values and etiquette at least...

Otherwise, quite a number of decisions characters make in various anime, manga, or film are not going to make any sense at all....

Last edited by Vexx; 2009-02-13 at 19:34.
Old 2009-02-13, 19:23   Link #224
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukerjsr View Post
Quote:
Actually its a very Japanese way..... non-confrontational and oblique.

On other notes... I'll wager the anime adaptation will portray Ryuuji's recalculation of the world around him a bit later perhaps in the next episode while he has time to think about things.
I really hope that's what happens in the next episode.
Yeah.. he really needs to wake the hell up and start paying attention. His ignorance and stupidity is really frustrating sometimes.

But then again, its a nice change from the typical guy in this sort of series who over thinks it all. lol.

Quote:
Here's where I suggest that if you actually want to appreciate japanese entertainment, drama, comedy, etc --- some study of japanese culture, society, etiquette, and language would be really helpful (just like the entertainment of any other culture). Otherwise, quite a number of decisions characters make in various anime are not going to make any sense at all....
I wish I could have but they didn't offer it at my university (I took Italian instead to supplement my HS Italian, plus its my heritage, so yeah) and my local college doesn't have it at the moment either.
Old 2009-02-13, 19:26   Link #225
Molenir

It's a trainwreck not because I didn't like how the show is going, but rather because its like watching 2 trains collide. Its beautiful, its fascinating, its terrible, and yet you can't turn away. The human emotional wreckage that we're seeing in the show is just like that, a trainwreck.

Taiga, Ryuuji, Minori, Ami, Kitamura, Sumire. Their alll damaged and twisted by the wreckage produced. Its beautiful and fascinating drama. I'm loving every minute of it, even when it tears your heart out like the most recent episode did.
Old 2009-02-13, 19:26   Link #226
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
Yeah.. he really needs to wake the hell up and start paying attention. His ignorance and stupidity is really frustrating sometimes.

But then again, its a nice change from the typical guy in this sort of series who over thinks it all. lol.
The typical guy in this kind of anime IS an ignorant, stupid idiot. Usually sexless too. (See School Days for a send-up of the character type.)

What's nice about Ryuuji is that he has character quirks, a personality, and flaws. That's unique in and of itself.

He's smarter in the novels, though. Sad.

So, the episode's been out for, what, two days, and yet we already have nearly 250 posts, more than the entire count for last episode. Ooogh.
Old 2009-02-13, 19:26   Link #227
Fran~
floating away...

Quote:
Here's where I suggest that if you actually want to appreciate japanese entertainment, drama, comedy, etc --- some study of japanese culture, society, etiquette, and language would be really helpful (just like the entertainment of any other culture). Otherwise, quite a number of decisions characters make in various anime are not going to make any sense at all....
Yup, that's true...

About the Ami and Taiga duet, i remember that Motown duets, the choreography and the wardrobe, the homage to Audrey Hepburn was beautiful, the most beauty and elegant actress to me, i was thinking that Taiga and Ryuuji would have some "breakfast at tiffany's" scene...

Maruo is the next Hardo Gay!!!...
Old 2009-02-13, 19:41   Link #228
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
I wish I could have but they didn't offer it at my university (I took Italian instead to supplement my HS Italian, plus its my heritage, so yeah) and my local college doesn't have it at the moment either.
But hey... that's what the Internet and Google is for... a few "guides to understanding anime" or "japanese society etiquette" and at least you're not just scratching your head anymore.

The language isn't quite so important though if you understand some of it, you'll catch things the subtitles often leave out... like when someone is becoming more familiar/close/intimate or when formal dialect is being used (either seriously or sarcastically), occasionally you may catch a proverb that sounds very wrong without a note ... like Taiga's offer to undress when she's saying how hard she's going to work to be a Christmas angel.

The slang phrases are harder to keep up with (like Ya-chan's mangling of terms) but again.. da intarweb tubes are ya friend
Old 2009-02-13, 19:50   Link #229
Fran~
floating away...

Quote:
The slang phrases are harder to keep up with (like Ya-chan's mangling of terms) but again.. da intarweb tubes are ya friend
To bring Shokotan's slang was truly weird...
Old 2009-02-13, 20:03   Link #230
SageGaiGar
You are Next

Quote:
But hey... that's what the Internet and Google is for... a few "guides to understanding anime" or "japanese society etiquette" and at least you're not just scratching your head anymore.

The language isn't quite so important though if you understand some of it, you'll catch things the subtitles often leave out... like when someone is becoming more familiar/close/intimate or when formal dialect is being used (either seriously or sarcastically), occasionally you may catch a proverb that sounds very wrong without a note ... like Taiga's offer to undress when she's saying how hard she's going to work to be a Christmas angel.

I think they started offering Japanese at my HS, but I think by that time I was stuck learning Spanish (Still useful! and my heritage.. despite forgetting most of it)
Old 2009-02-13, 20:07   Link #231
Texas84
よろしく

I love this series, but the Christmas party was just weird. No chaperones in Japan? But I'm not going to fault the main characters for being clueless high schoolers because I was too. So, how about a spin-off with Yasuko? Now that's my kind of girl!
Old 2009-02-13, 20:22   Link #232
Fran~
floating away...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageGaiGar View Post
I think they started offering Japanese at my HS, but I think by that time I was stuck learning Spanish (Still useful! and my heritage.. despite forgetting most of it)
Personally, i think that learning Japanese is useless if you dont take that seriously and dedicate several years (and maybe forever) of study. Of course you can learn some basic stuff, but the real deal is way more complex, just to learn a hundred of Kanjis is the living hell
Old 2009-02-13, 20:29   Link #233
wistfulloner

Woah, I return 17 hours later and this thread has expanded 8 pages?

I'm kind of wondering how Taiga will behave in the next episode after her realization. My guess is that she'll try to cover it up (as in, return to her usual attitude from EP17-19), but Minori will be the only witness to her grief.

From the preview, somehow I believe Ryuji is still in delusions from his burning fever...
Old 2009-02-13, 20:51   Link #234
Noamara

Whoever wants the Ami and Taiga Christmas song.

On this forum here someone cut the parts of EP 19 out.

http://forum.onemanga.com/showthread...=31083&page=15

Gave 10/10 (well, I always give 10^^).
Old 2009-02-13, 20:56   Link #235
Fran~
floating away...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wistfulloner View Post
From the preview, somehow I believe Ryuji is still in delusions from his burning fever...
Traditionally, in new year people go to temples, it seems that Taiga is in one with Kitamura... i cant remember well the preview.
Old 2009-02-13, 21:14   Link #236
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran~ View Post
Personally, i think that learning Japanese is useless if you dont take that seriously and dedicate several years (and maybe forever) of study. Of course you can learn some basic stuff, but the real deal is way more complex, just to learn a hundred of Kanjis is the living hell
Aye, and I really wasn't implying one needed to learn the language (at least much) to understand what is going on in anime..... but the etiquette, social values, personal values, culture aren't hard to get a clue about on one's own with a just a bit of research. It isn't the same as "one's own neighborhood".
Old 2009-02-13, 22:33   Link #237
Master Chibi
.: A bad doggy :.

Christ, I'm not even going to bother with the last 8 pages.

This must be "Make Chibi Cry Like a Bitch" week.

D:

Updated once a week - http://pishi.wordpress.com/
Last updated - 5/30/10 - Random Manga Roulette!
Old 2009-02-13, 22:37   Link #238
typhonsentra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Chibi View Post
Christ, I'm not even going to bother with the last 8 pages.

This must be "Make Chibi Cry Like a Bitch" week.

D:
They're all trying to outdo each other. I hear next week's Index will have a puppy freezing to death in an alley.
Old 2009-02-13, 22:50   Link #239
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
The typical guy in this kind of anime IS an ignorant, stupid idiot. Usually sexless too. (See School Days for a send-up of the character type.)
Yes, they are typically the same moronic guys, I know. It just annoys me a little that he isn't making a little progress. (And I hated School Days.. that ending.. ugh).

Quote:
This is true. I'll have to go searching soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wistfulloner View Post
Woah, I return 17 hours later and this thread has expanded 8 pages?
Thats the one problem with a forum this active.. its almost impossible to keep up with a popular thread. lol.
Old 2009-02-13, 23:48   Link #240
frivolity
My posts are frivolous

This episode reminded me of a famous Christmas short story, where the main character sold his watch to buy a beautiful hairclip for his wife, only to find that his wife had cut her hair and sold it to buy a trinket that would match her husband's watch.

Here, Taiga gave Ryuuji a suit to impress Minori during the party, but Ryuuji traded the suit for a bear costume to impress her. The specific events of the stories aren't exactly the same of course, but the whole episode had a similar feel to me.
Closed Thread