AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Ore no Imouto

Notices

View Poll Results: Ore no Imouto (Season Two) - Episode 3 Rating
Perfect 10 9 16.07%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 14 25.00%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 13 23.21%
7 out of 10 : Good 8 14.29%
6 out of 10 : Average 6 10.71%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.79%
4 out of 10 : Poor 3 5.36%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 3.57%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2013-04-20, 20:21   Link #21
Dr. Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I'm dreading the next episode, since it looks like it will focus on Kirino. If even that one managed to be good however, then maybe I'll be able to enjoy this season fully.
I think it's safe to say that Kirino will become a very different person this season; the second season is bringing the entire story to a close, so it's a given that her character development is going to accelerate in the weeks to come. I wouldn't count on enjoying the very next episode if Kirino is a dealbreaker for you, though; she's still her same old Season 1 self for the moment.

It seems like the Neko family is the only one where all the siblings are pleasant. Kyosuke is a good guy, Kirino's a bitch (though I still love her). Saori's big sister is a bipolar part-time bitch, Saori is a full-time sweet girl. Kanako's older sister is awesome, Kanako herself is the One *** to Rule Them All. The Nekos, on the other hand... Kuroneko is very endearing, and Lolineko is a perfectly cute and innocent little sister. Just another fact to support my thesis that Kuroneko is the best.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2013-04-20 at 20:40. Reason: -_-;'
Old 2013-04-20, 20:30   Link #22
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

... Ruri has her bitch moments too, you know. Mainly against Kirino. She's not the little-miss-sunshine you're painting her to be.
Old 2013-04-20, 20:34   Link #23
Dr. Casey

Oh, she's definitely a bitch. She's just a bitch in the good way, wheras Kanako (and Saori's older sister during the scene where Saori hunts her down) is just unlikable.
Old 2013-04-20, 20:35   Link #24
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

"Bitch in a good way" is entirely contradictory on itself. ._. Being a bitch isn't good no matter how you spin it.

So far the one with the fully pleasant family is Manami's.
Old 2013-04-20, 20:41   Link #25
finalfury
Incognito

Sena's family is fairly decent, if you can handle a hardcore fujoshi.

Edit: Well, Saori's storyline is well deserved, but feels really disjointed in comparison to the other episodes.

Last edited by finalfury; 2013-04-20 at 21:34.
Old 2013-04-20, 20:52   Link #26
Azuma Denton
~AD~

Finally Saori without her glasses. And to think that she has 180 degrees of personality between her non glasses and glasses character.

A nice background story, but not to deep enough. And I feel that the feeling of insecurity of Saori can be brought up more.

And who is that Kanata girl?
Old 2013-04-20, 20:56   Link #27
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Man, that was one dreadfully boring backstory episode. Saori is fine and all, but the pacing just felt really really slow. It doesn't help that this is the second episode in a row where it feels like they're trying to avoid the main storylines left over from season 1. Kyousuke was worrying about Kuroneko in episode 1 and now he isn't anymore?

It's just a 1-off I suppose, but yeah it just didn't work for me. The sister wasn't very interesting either.

EDIT:

To be more clear... Probably the biggest issue I found with it is it hardly felt relevant to anything ongoing in the story. It was pretty much "lets toss a side character backstory here in the middle of everything" and then after this we won't really touch on it again.

Last edited by Reckoner; 2013-04-20 at 21:24.
Old 2013-04-20, 21:25   Link #28
Vsin
Aldracity

Saori's older sister...confuses me. Namely, those sideways glances she was giving Saori during the "those were happy times" segment. The main issue is that the emotion conveyed by that was really confusing, since on one hand the earlier part suggests that she was trying to be the helpful onee-san, and on the other she's halfway goading Saori in...whatever that European country was. And while she claims to be the leader, she kinda came across as the person who doesn't even interact with her own circle.

I realize how awkward of an impression that seems to be, but that's the whole vibe I got. I was especially confused by the bit where she got cut off by Saori explaining how to make tea, because I'm not sure whether that was supposed to imply a separation from Saori, some form of jealousy, or pride for finally prying the imoto out of her shell.

All in all, the wildly conflicting images and words just confuse the heck out of me. Maybe it'll be less muddled when and if Saori's older sister gets another segment. Or maybe it was a case of "lost in adaptation".
Old 2013-04-20, 21:26   Link #29
lightbringer
M9000

I thought Kyousuke already met Saori withour glasses in the first season, but now they're acting like it's the first time they met this way. My memory must be going bad.
Old 2013-04-20, 21:35   Link #30
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

The only times I remember Saori and Kyousuke communicating when she wasn't wearing her glasses were when she was on the phone with him.
Old 2013-04-20, 23:14   Link #31
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
She was also the announcer at the Meruru cosplay contest.
... I thought the announcer wasn't actually her, just looked like her. I do distinctly remember the announcer having the same voice as Meruru and Kanako when I was watching the first season.
Old 2013-04-20, 23:23   Link #32
HandofFate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
Oh, she's definitely a bitch. She's just a bitch in the good way, wheras Kanako (and Saori's older sister during the scene where Saori hunts her down) is just unlikable.
Think being a bit too hard on Saori's older sister.
While the older sister gives a vibe kind a person that moves to her own tune, and not care about others.
I took it as a bit of tough love.
Saori needed to learn to make her own friends and find her own personality and life, instead of latching on to people by convenience of proximity.
And not sure about the scene right before, but I don't think Saori was that much of an angel to fly all the way abroad just to slap her older sister.
Old 2013-04-20, 23:28   Link #33
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokkan View Post
... I thought the announcer wasn't actually her, just looked like her. I do distinctly remember the announcer having the same voice as Meruru and Kanako when I was watching the first season.
Hoshino's voice actress is Meruru and Kanako's.

EDIT: Actually, little more complicated, but I'll get the post deleted if I elaborate.
Old 2013-04-20, 23:37   Link #34
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vsin View Post
Saori's older sister...confuses me. Namely, those sideways glances she was giving Saori during the "those were happy times" segment. The main issue is that the emotion conveyed by that was really confusing, since on one hand the earlier part suggests that she was trying to be the helpful onee-san, and on the other she's halfway goading Saori in...whatever that European country was. And while she claims to be the leader, she kinda came across as the person who doesn't even interact with her own circle.

I realize how awkward of an impression that seems to be, but that's the whole vibe I got. I was especially confused by the bit where she got cut off by Saori explaining how to make tea, because I'm not sure whether that was supposed to imply a separation from Saori, some form of jealousy, or pride for finally prying the imoto out of her shell.

All in all, the wildly conflicting images and words just confuse the heck out of me. Maybe it'll be less muddled when and if Saori's older sister gets another segment. Or maybe it was a case of "lost in adaptation".
(Edit: This is expanding a bit on what HandOfFate said above; just a bit too slow )

I think they're just trying to express a subtle thing. What Kaori wants is for Saori to find her own strength. She definitely does love her little sister a lot, but she's also a go-getter by nature and doesn't want to pamper her little sister. Kaori also has her own set of goals for her life, and she isn't the sort of person to dwell on things when it's time to move on -- if Kaori wants to "experience everything" in life, she can't be too emotionally attached to any one thing.

I think Kaori's "goading" of Saori was basically to push her out of the nest, and to force her to find her own way. Kaori and her friends had come to terms with the fact that all things come to an end, and there comes a time to move on, but Saori was trying to cling to past and blame Kaori for ruining what they had. But Kaori didn't invite Saori there so that she could make friends, exactly, but so that she could have the drive and ability to make friends on her own. So she's basically saying "don't blame me that you're upset; do something about it yourself". And that's exactly what she does.

I think it's all tough to read because it's a sort of "tough love". It's certainly a bit blinded by her own perspective in life (since she's basically a self-starter and go-getter, which her little sister was not by nature), but it's not unfeeling either. If anything really bad were to happen, you can bet that Kaori would be there in an instant (which is why she showed up with the old gang on Saori's birthday to check up on her), but she wants Saori to aspire to be a better person than she is. In the end, one of the recurring themes of this show is flawed people who have a hard time expressing their true feelings, and in that sense she's no different.
Old 2013-04-20, 23:37   Link #35
Forever
Revealing the truth

As an OVA, this episode would have worked very well. But as ep3, the disconnect is far too great.

Great to see saori true form.... I wonder will the OP change a bit everytime or is it they specially did it for saori.
Old 2013-04-20, 23:41   Link #36
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever View Post
As an OVA, this episode would have worked very well. But as ep3, the disconnect is far too great.
Well, probably better to think of this as Episode 18 of 31. Fleshing out some of the secondary characters is a pretty common thing to do at this point in the story, before heading into the final arc.

Quote:
I wonder will the OP change a bit everytime or is it they specially did it for saori.
I assume they will change the OP a bit every episode, just like last season.
Old 2013-04-20, 23:51   Link #37
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

What Vsin's bringing up is that Kaori was making the harsh/negative looks WHEN her sister was opening up and leaving said nest, which is what's causing the confusion for him/her.
Old 2013-04-21, 00:15   Link #38
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
Hoshino's voice actress is Meruru and Kanako's.

EDIT: Actually, little more complicated, but I'll get the post deleted if I elaborate.
But I distinctly remember the Hoshino that was a waitress being voiced by Ayane Sakura.
Old 2013-04-21, 00:29   Link #39
type-R!

I'll guess I'll never stop complainig of why just 16 episodes. This one was good but there is so much more material that I wish had been adapted too for us fans to enjoy. At least they should have made their reaction when seeing Saori without glasses funnier. The cosplay party seems like a good candidate to go into the drama CDs, too.

Spoiler for Comparison to the game:

Last edited by type-R!; 2013-04-21 at 00:52.
Old 2013-04-21, 02:20   Link #40
Flying Dagger
大巧不工

With Kaori: I see her as an example of where Saori may eventually head towards. No matter how hard she try, things *will* eventually split the Kirino/Kyousuke/Saori/Kuroneko circle apart. It is part of life.

Though Saori have one up'ed her sister: as her circle can still function without one of any member.

Kaori show that even if her friends no longer gather on a regular basis, they will still take time to get together: so its not as if the friendship is over as soon as real life tears the circle apart.

Quote:
I wonder will the OP change a bit everytime or is it they specially did it for saori.

I think this season's OP has got less room for modifications. I really like the s1 opening where we had Kirino vs Kuroneko.
Closed Thread