Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-10-20, 22:14   Link #181
shichi-chan
Mippa~

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreSage View Post
Oh did he? Meh, must have missed that part. -_-;

@LKK: brother huh? That'll be interesting. But what's more shocking is if the villain turned out to be his dad.
Dad, eh? lol that was exactly what I was thinking.
Old 2010-10-20, 23:08   Link #182
PreSage
Strangely dependable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKK View Post
Did I confuse the issue with my response? Just to be perfectly clear, the person who told Haruka that Yakumo was born with one red eye was Yakumo's uncle. Yakumo's uncle is Yakumo's mother's younger brother. Maybe that's where the brother idea came from?
No, I understand what you said. I know that's his uncle. What I was referring to is your suggestion that the villain may be his brother...or did I misunderstand you?

But like I said, villain could be his dad - since it looks like Yakumo got his normal eye from his mother's side (same colour, so I assume this)...then his red eye from his father...the villain??

[/TH][/TR][/table]
PreSage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-20, 23:54   Link #183
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Quote:
Did I confuse the issue with my response? Just to be perfectly clear, the person who told Haruka that Yakumo was born with one red eye was Yakumo's uncle. Yakumo's uncle is Yakumo's mother's younger brother. Maybe that's where the brother idea came from?
I like his Uncle IM BEHIND! D:
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-21, 08:34   Link #184
LKK

Quote:
No, I understand what you said. I know that's his uncle. What I was referring to is your suggestion that the villain may be his brother...or did I misunderstand you?
If I gave the impression that the villain may be Yakumo's brother, I certainly didn't mean to. I don't think the villain is Yakumo's brother.

Quote:
But like I said, villain could be his dad - since it looks like Yakumo got his normal eye from his mother's side (same colour, so I assume this)...then his red eye from his father...the villain??
Now the villain being Yakumo's father is a possibility I'd entertain.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-22, 17:19   Link #185
Shyne

I just finally got around to seeing the first 3 episodes. I like this series so far.

Shyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-22, 17:24   Link #186
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:

The villain would be very interesting if it would be Yakumo's father, and it would clear some things from my mind. It would explain why he has 1 red eye, and that his mother was normal giving him a clear eye on the other side.
Old 2010-10-24, 20:56   Link #187
fukarming

episode 4:

The story is finally kicking in high gear and this episode is undoubtedly the best episode so far. More of Yakumo's background is known. The evil looking duo are shows us where this show is ultimately going. Even the case itself is more interesting compare to the previous 3 episode
Then they came for me and force me to be a vegan by that time no one was left to speak up.
fukarming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-24, 21:12   Link #188
PreSage
Strangely dependable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fukarming View Post
episode 4:

The story is finally kicking in high gear and this episode is undoubtedly the best episode so far. More of Yakumo's background is known. The evil looking duo are shows us where this show is ultimately going. Even the case itself is more interesting compare to the previous 3 episode
I totally agree. Episode 4 is a lot better than the others. Even without major details in the mystery, I found myself totally captured with Yakumo's personal story - and his personality was further revealed. From what the villain said to detective Gotou in the flashback, I think the "child" he's referring to may be Yakumo? Perhaps that villain saved Yakumo for some reason by warning Gotou that a child (Yakumo) will be killed.

And, it is just me, or does Yakumo seem to have a soft spot for Haruka?

That neckace again...it has a gem with the same colour as Yakumo and the villains eyes.

My favourite quote from Yakumo so far: "At least work for the taxes I pay." LOL!

[/TH][/TR][/table]
Old 2010-10-25, 14:19   Link #189
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Started watching this show today, and having caught up i find myself enjoying it. It isn't what i expected it to be (From something with "detective" in the title, i thought mystery was in order ... not really, it turns out), and while that means i won't be getting my mystery fix here (given the quick and simplistic format the cases themselves take), it wasn't too hard shifting my expectations towards a character driven show with fantasy elements to serve as orbiting point for those characters.

I find the mood generally handled pretty well, and the characters are quite enjoyable. (Although Haruka has almost bewildering capacity for taking it from Yakumo wile lying down ... there were several times i expected her to snap back with some witty answer, yet she remains silent ... a very pleasant character and presence otherwise though). I am not too fond of episodic stories, but there seems to be an overall plot raising its head as well, so that end looks to be covered as well.

The one thing i did find a bit eyebrow-rising though was Haruka's outburst at the end of episode 4. I don't know whether the anime is skipping tons of interactions between the two, but seems a bit out of place to have her accuse Yakumo of not telling her anything. Strangers don't tend to do that, and as far as i can tell, they have had a handful of interactions, "job related" one way or another, so it seems a bit premature to ask of him to confine in her. Her being selected as a "host" for the reincarnation comes as no surprise (expected that since the moment it was hinted what the bad guys are up to), so what remains is to see where it goes. All in all, a reasonably entertaining show that is easy to digest. It might not be when i expected it to be, but i find it enjoyable to watch regardless, which is what matters in the end.
Old 2010-10-25, 14:53   Link #190
LKK

@ Skyfall, I don't know how much novel time we've skipped. But I'm sure that ep 4 had a jump in how long the two of them have known each other in the novels. Even though I haven't read the novels, I'd guess we've jumped some ways into the series in order to get to the good stuff as it were.

Episode 4 had a lovely visual metaphor there near the end which unfortunately for anime only viewers probably meant next to nothing at all. Manga and novel readers might notice the significance of the scenery though.
Spoiler for ep 4 scene described with manga / novel insight:

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
Old 2010-10-25, 17:47   Link #191
PreSage
Strangely dependable...

Quote:
@ Skyfall, I don't know how much novel time we've skipped. But I'm sure that ep 4 had a jump in how long the two of them have known each other in the novels. Even though I haven't read the novels, I'd guess we've jumped some ways into the series in order to get to the good stuff as it were.

Episode 4 had a lovely visual metaphor there near the end which unfortunately for anime only viewers probably meant next to nothing at all. Manga and novel readers might notice the significance of the scenery though.
Spoiler for ep 4 scene described with manga / novel insight:
The anime skips a lot of the little/subtle dialogues and interactions that are found in the manga and novel that really show how much the relationship between Haruka and Yakumo progresses (and also provides a sense of why Haruka returns to hang out with him each time). They also watered down Yakumo's wicked tongue in the anime - we see glimpses of that side of him especially when he's with Goto. As a result, for anime-only watchers, things may feel a bit more fragmented.

Spoiler for ep4:

[/TH][/TR][/table]
Old 2010-10-25, 18:02   Link #192
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

There is something limp and awkward and childish about this show. The mystery cases are nothing. The storytelling seems almost 19th century, with coincidences and moonstone eyes. But I love the show anyway.

Haruka, Yakumo and Gotou keep me fascinated. Haruka is in love and won't retreat. She takes for granted that she should know everything about Yakumo. Yakumo is a lovely cat, smooth and self-contained and skittish. And Gotou is a kind and powerful bear, giving a strange sense of safety and comfort beneath it all. Wonderful voice work from Fujimura Ayumi, Ono Daisuke, and Touchi Hiroki. All three have voices that just such me in. I like the melodramatic but affecting background music by R.O.N.

Pardon my romantic streak, but the scene described by LKK really got me.
Spoiler for ep4:
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-25, 19:54   Link #193
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Spoiler for my take on ep 4:
ars89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-25, 21:17   Link #194
PreSage
Strangely dependable...

Do we still need to put ep 4 in spoilers? Oh well...
Spoiler for ep 4:

[/TH][/TR][/table]
Old 2010-10-25, 21:58   Link #195
LKK

Quote:
Do we still need to put ep 4 in spoilers? Oh well...
Spoiler for ep 4:
I gotta wonder if those 2 scenes had some mistranslations in them. I plan to check some other subs when they come out. Especially with regards to the line about Gotou.
Spoiler:

Old 2010-10-25, 22:30   Link #196
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
I gotta wonder if those 2 scenes had some mistranslations in them. I plan to check some other subs when they come out. Especially with regards to the line about Gotou.
Spoiler:
Oharaibako 御払い箱 apparently means "to be fired, let go, dismissed from a job, get the boot"-- but the context shows...
Spoiler for ep4:
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-25, 22:52   Link #197
PreSage
Strangely dependable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
Oharaibako 御払い箱 apparently means "to be fired, let go, dismissed from a job, get the boot"-- but the context shows...
Spoiler for ep4:
That makes a lot more sense. Thanks!

[/TH][/TR][/table]
Old 2010-10-26, 08:32   Link #198
LKK

@ Kaoru Chujo: Any insight as to what was said about adoption later in the episode? That was the other translation I was questioning.

Old 2010-10-26, 12:07   Link #199
GDB

Quote:
@ Kaoru Chujo: Any insight as to what was said about adoption later in the episode? That was the other translation I was questioning.
I'd assume that the doctor delivered Yakumo. The doctor was apparently there when his mother first held him, so it would make sense, especially since we know Yakumo's Uncle adopted him after his mom went wacko.
GDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-26, 15:59   Link #200
LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
since we know Yakumo's Uncle adopted him after his mom went wacko.
Ah! See, now that was the part I was confused on -- just who adopted Yakumo. Sage & I both thought the dialogue implied the doctor adopted him which made no sense to us whatsoever. Uncle adopting Yakumo makes much more sense.

Tags
drama, seinen, supernatural