AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2008-03-25, 23:27   Link #1
Rock Lee

PS2 Lifespan

How long do you think it will take for sony to stop supporting the ps2 or do you think they will continue to support it for years to come?
Rock Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-26, 01:13   Link #2
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

I think it could be coming close to the end, but I'd still say it has at least another two years.
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-26, 05:09   Link #3
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

Well in USA/Euro it's dying out pretty fast, but in Japan it's still lively as ever. The only good games that will be released will probably be from Japanese companies.
2H-Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-26, 13:07   Link #4
Claude

Send a message via AIM to Claude Send a message via Yahoo to Claude
I'm starting to worry that Atlus might move on and stop making games for the PS2. They are releasing Persona 3 FES on April 22nd but they are also making Operation Darkness for the XBox 360. I was crushed when the gameboy advanced died and now this. Atlus games are basically the only reason for me to keep my PS2 at the moment.

To answer the question, I believe that the PS2 will die as soon as the PS3 user base is large enough to take over. Some people think that it will never die because of the extensive list of great games on it but I really don't believe that. It will probably pass on but remembered like the Super Nintendo.
Claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-26, 13:09   Link #5
Zoe

There was a huge surge the week that Target had it on sale for $99. It's gonna be around for at least a couple more years.
Zoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-26, 13:23   Link #6
Spitfire
Mr. Bushido

I honestly think the PS2 needs to die. It had an incredibly good run, but its outdated now. Heck, its been outdated for at least the last 3 years, possibly even longer than that. I wish more Japanese developers would realize this and start developing more next gen games. My PS3 is horribly underused, and I think some good J-games might revitalize the system for me.
Old 2008-03-26, 13:29   Link #7
Zoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude View Post
I'm starting to worry that Atlus might move on and stop making games for the PS2. They are releasing Persona 3 FES on April 22nd but they are also making Operation Darkness for the XBox 360. I was crushed when the gameboy advanced died and now this. Atlus games are basically the only reason for me to keep my PS2 at the moment.
Persona 4 is on the PS2.
Zoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-26, 14:01   Link #8
Z3120

Unless release of new PS2 games come to a snail's crawl or stop altogether, but really, a lack of any good PS2 games (most likely the PS2, like some had already said, will definitely last longer than the US and EUR), I can't imagine the PS2 going anywhere within 5 years since the PS2 sales are one of the main things keeping Sony financially afloat/feasible. Until the PS3 aligns itself with a much friendlier price point, I doubt people will make the jump to next gen or a few next gen systems anytime soon.

Besides, I'm happily content with several of my PS2s except my slim PS2. Hate the darn thing even if it's use is to play games I can't on my other PS2s...
Z3120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-26, 14:11   Link #9
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
I honestly think the PS2 needs to die. It had an incredibly good run, but its outdated now. Heck, its been outdated for at least the last 3 years, possibly even longer than that. I wish more Japanese developers would realize this and start developing more next gen games. My PS3 is horribly underused, and I think some good J-games might revitalize the system for me.
It's cheap and easy to develop on and lot of people have it. It's ideal for smaller japanese developers to work with it. I'm sure they'd like to develop on the PS3, but just don't have the means to do so. :O
2H-Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-26, 19:36   Link #10
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
I vote for the PS2 staying for a few more years. Not only because I just bought one a couple of months ago (), but because I really dislike the whole "next-gen" idea. As long as we keep on seeing great games like the recently released Arcana Heart and the soon to come Persona 4 (thank you, Atlus, for both titles), my faith in the gaming industry will prevail. Then again, it's usually the Japanese the ones that keep on releasing games for a "last-gen" console. The SNES, believe it or not, saw its last game in 1999, when Fire Emblem: Trachia 776 was released in Japan. I don't think the PS2 is going anywhere, since as far as numbers are concerned, it was much, much more successful than the SNES.

Then again, I'm a gamer that's particularly disdainful of the ever-changing trends of the hardware market. I'd rather see more great 2D games than more realistic 3D, if it means they're gonna have a better creative style than just adding polygons and bloom effects.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-26, 21:17   Link #11
problemedchild
ô_ô

Have you seen the PS2 sales figures? It's going to be kicking for quite a while.

February 2008 Hardware Sales

Nintendo DS- 587,600
Nintendo Wii- 432,000
PS2- 351,800
PS3- 280,800
Xbox 360- 254,600
PSP- 243,100
problemedchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-26, 21:27   Link #12
Shikimori Kazuki
Angeloid Type β - Nymph

I only got my ps2 for a year now, i plan to stay that way for as long as ps3 starts getting old and new console systems appearing afterwards. I have yet to finish my ps2 games and besides ps2 gives me alot of replay value in certain games aka God of War, Dynasty Warriors, Devil may Cry 3.

I dont think ps2 will be dying out anytime soon, because its one of those consoles that enables to play ps1 games as well, playstation is what gets SONY going and I dont think SONY will dump its children (ps2 consoles) away just to promote the ps3. I think they will do it steadily. But as of now, i personally have no plans to go to ps3, i'll wait until more games comes out and see how the trend goes, from what i see, people i know still are playing ps2.
Shikimori Kazuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-26, 22:07   Link #13
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Do think the PS2 will be fine for quite some time. Has such a large selection of games along with the original playstation games to keep a person busy. Plus if your just out to play those games it's easier than putting out the big money for a PS3. Now not sure how many big games will keep coming out for it as things will probably gradually shift to the PS3. But with the large library already there should stay popular.

While do have a PS3 myself, doesn't keep me from enjoying the great games that the older system had.
Old 2008-03-26, 22:11   Link #14
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

It seems that sales are still strong for the Ps2 so that will probably keep it going for quite some time.
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-27, 12:10   Link #15
Snuffle
likes cute things

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
Then again, I'm a gamer that's particularly disdainful of the ever-changing trends of the hardware market. I'd rather see more great 2D games than more realistic 3D, if it means they're gonna have a better creative style than just adding polygons and bloom effects.
I have to agree with this. I also prefer the 2D generation and don't really like the jump to the next-gen systems. Even tho there is an X360, Wii and "TWO" PS3's in my house... I NEVER PLAY THEM! I still play my PS2 and PC games.
Snuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-27, 15:43   Link #16
Ending

I missed the whole PS2 scene and actually bought the console only a few months ago. Since the games do not cost me anything, I can't see myself ditching it for many years. There's still the best selection of games for me to browse through.
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-27, 21:27   Link #17
beamknight87
Gold Saint

give me one more non-OG SRW for the PS2 and I'll think about it
beamknight87 is offline   Reply With Quote