AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2012-07-16, 14:28   Link #21
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Like with Sailor Moon I'm curious to see what voice actor retention they can have here. Obviously Videl, Mr. Satan and Tenshinhan will have to be replaced since they're either dead or have moved on, but I think they can realistically get most of them back. Masako Nozawa is in her late 70's, but apparently still going strong. Pretty amazing.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-16, 14:40   Link #22
Blaat

Kai already gave us some of the replacements: Mr.Satan was voiced by Unshou Ishizuka and Tenshihan by Hikaru Midorikawa barring incidents I don't think they would change that.
Also let's not forget Dende will be voiced by Aya Hirano.

A part of me would have preferred a Kai buu saga announcement, but I'm not going to complain about a movie especially with Toriyama involved.
Old 2012-07-16, 14:50   Link #23
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
Kai already gave us some of the replacements: Mr.Satan was voiced by Unshou Ishizuka and Tenshihan by Hikaru Midorikawa barring incidents I don't think they would change that.
Also let's not forget Dende will be voiced by Aya Hirano.

A part of me would have preferred a Kai buu saga announcement, but I'm not going to complain about a movie especially with Toriyama involved.
Man I remember the time after Haruhi where seemingly everyone thought that Aya Hirano was going to be the next greatest seiyuu and was even more talked about than the like of Kana Hanazawa is these days, now it's like she can only get the odd bit role in Shonen Jump anime and Lucy Heartfillia in Fairy Tail. The way I see it though she was pretty much set up to rise way to fast and then completely fail the same way those Disney divas are.
Old 2012-07-16, 14:50   Link #24
Blackbeard D. Kuma

This is quite the unexpected development. I'm certainly looking forward to what role Piccolo will play in this film seeing as how he was under-utilized in the Buu saga; now is Toriyama's chance to give his favorite character (Piccolo) some time to shine. And of course, we may see the re-emergence of the formidable Gogeta. Personally, I prefer Gogeta as a character over Vegetto.

Definitely looking forward to seeing this .
Old 2012-07-16, 17:57   Link #25
sky black swordman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post

Anyways this sounds really cool. Okay DBZ might not be the greatest thing ever but it's sure a lot of fun. It was my first anime or the series that started my anime fandom so it will always have a special place in my heart.

Frankly I was a bit disappointed with the"ending" of DBZ and the less said about GT the better but I did enjoy the Buu saga and where the characters were at during this point of the story.

There is certainly a 90's renaissance going on lately.

edit: Okay so I was thinking with this, the new Sailor Moon series, and the Rurouni Kenshin stuff (although that last one was a disappointment)

The only thing left too announce is something for Yu Yu Hakusho.
Many already think DBZ is the greatest thing ever .
And many of is know what you mean when you say "it will always have a special place in my heart".

Lets not talk about GT.

Thats true it has.

I hope we get something for that too.

HA on a side all the shows you just said were on the Toonami program when I was a kid.
Old 2012-07-19, 19:33   Link #26
ElCachicamo

Maybe I'm the only one here who thinks that Dragon Ball was a way better show than Dragon Ball Z. Dragon Ball was a show full of unexpected moments and charming and colourful characters, It had a sense of adventure as well. Dragon Ball Z was an incredible predictable show with epic moments here and there but totally boring to watch after a while
ElCachicamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-19, 19:48   Link #27
leokiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElCachicamo View Post
Maybe I'm the only one here who thinks that Dragon Ball was a way better show than Dragon Ball Z. Dragon Ball was a show full of unexpected moments and charming and colourful characters, It had a sense of adventure as well. Dragon Ball Z was an incredible predictable show with epic moments here and there but totally boring to watch after a while
I prefer Dragon Ball too.
leokiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-19, 22:26   Link #28
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Probably should turn over the script directly to TeamFourStar.

For a laugh.
Old 2012-07-19, 22:37   Link #29
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by leokiko View Post
I prefer Dragon Ball too.
Me too.

I particularly don't like the voice of adult Goku in DBZ. He sounded like a granny . I really really hope that they replace the old VA with a more macho-voiced VA. That would be a treat for me, but one can only hope .
Old 2012-07-19, 22:43   Link #30
sky black swordman

Quote:
I particularly don't like the voice of adult Goku in DBZ. He sounded like a granny .
The ENG Dub did his voice IMO right.The Funnimation one.
Old 2012-07-20, 02:31   Link #31
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky black swordman View Post
The ENG Dub did his voice IMO right.The Funnimation one.
You may be right (It's a shame I never listened to the English dub). The funny thing is, the Indonesian VA/dubber from when it aired on my local TV sounds WAY better and more fitting than the original Japanese VA .
Old 2012-07-20, 06:51   Link #32
sky black swordman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
You may be right (It's a shame I never listened to the English dub). The funny thing is, the Indonesian VA/dubber from when it aired on my local TV sounds WAY better and more fitting than the original Japanese VA .
You could just go to Youtube and look for videos about the Funnimation Dub DBZ.
Aside from ENG voices they had their own OST or BGM. I love the original OST ,but funnimation OSt was better IMO.
Old 2012-07-20, 10:07   Link #33
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Me too.

I particularly don't like the voice of adult Goku in DBZ. He sounded like a granny . I really really hope that they replace the old VA with a more macho-voiced VA. That would be a treat for me, but one can only hope .
That's probably because Masako Nozawa was pretty old even when she was doing Goku, but yeah I always though the same thing.

Also as someone who remembers the English dub I'll just say there's a LOT more grunting during it. For some reason back in the day dubbers though they had to fill every single second of every TV show with as much noise or music as possible so almost any time there's supposed to be silence in the original there's this persistent grunting from the particpants in a battle or outside of that just some "off-screen dialogue" that gets added in. I think Scott McNeil was probably the most bothersome voice actor for me, because he seemed to have to belch out every line for his characters like Piccolo.

Quote:
You could just go to Youtube and look for videos about the Funnimation Dub DBZ.
Aside from ENG voices they had their own OST or BGM. I love the original OST ,but funnimation OSt was better IMO.
I 100% disagree, the Japanese OST had way more variety and was either orchestrated or really well produced 80's synth-rock by the band Monolith. The Funimation one was pretty much phoned in synthesized err noise by Shuki Levy of Saban on contract that I barely remember sounding like music half the time. Either that or the Def Tones or whoever else they could get to do music for the movie. That said the Bruce Falconer stuff was decent and kind of felt like an attempt to immitate the monolith stuff, but I still prefer the Japanese soundtrack for the orchestration.

Funny story about the music, here in Canada we had the Funimation dub all the way up to the Freeza Saga, but there was a major gap of about a solid year between that airing and when the Cell Saga started (I remember going all of grade 11 without any new DBZ to watch at all) because of a dispute between YTV and Funimation that eventually lead to a temporary falling out and YTV adopting what would become known as the Ocean Dub. The funny thing is for that dub the music from that old Megaman cartoon by Ruby-Spears (Super Fighting Robot! MEGA MAN!) ended up being licensed out to fill in the OST for Dragon Ball Z, which was immediately noticeable to me having watched that awful excuse for a Mega Man show as a kid. I'll just say I got used to hearing the same 10 or so track over and over again by the time I was done high school and it really gave me an appreciation not only for the original OST, but for Bruce Falconer's efforts as well.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2012-07-20 at 10:21.
Old 2012-07-21, 19:08   Link #34
sky black swordman

@Kaioshin Sama Let me ask you this do you prefer the ENG BGM for the SS transfermations or the JAP BGM?
Old 2012-07-21, 22:26   Link #35
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
@Kaioshin Sama Let me ask you this do you prefer the ENG BGM for the SS transfermations or the JAP BGM?
Are we talking about Spirit vs. Spirit here cause if so definitely the Japanese. That's one of the most iconic songs from the entire franchise. Also it's Kageyama Hironobu and he's the man.
Old 2012-07-21, 23:24   Link #36
sky black swordman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Are we talking about Spirit vs. Spirit here cause if so definitely the Japanese. That's one of the most iconic songs from the entire franchise. Also it's Kageyama Hironobu and he's the man.
I was talking about all of them .
Goku's First SS, Vegeta's SS ,Trunks SS, Gohan's SS2, Goku SS3, and Gohan Mystic transformation. Compared them which is better?
Old 2012-07-22, 10:13   Link #37
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
I was talking about all of them .
Goku's First SS, Vegeta's SS ,Trunks SS, Gohan's SS2, Goku SS3, and Gohan Mystic transformation. Compared them which is better?
Oh gosh it's been a while since I've watched the dub or sub so I can't even say sorry. I remember the first Goku one being pretty good in both languages though. Typically the general rule is that any BGM in the Japanese version is far more understated while the Funimation dub is straight up synth-rock if that helps. Depends on if you prefer orchestral music or rock for DBZ. Personally at this point in time I could go for either even if I prefer my scores to be orchestral, but I remember as a kid being a little irked at not being given a choice. The Shuki Levy stuff can stay buried by the sands of time for all I care though.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2012-07-22 at 10:25.
Old 2012-07-22, 20:15   Link #38
sky black swordman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Oh gosh it's been a while since I've watched the dub or sub so I can't even say sorry. I remember the first Goku one being pretty good in both languages though. Typically the general rule is that any BGM in the Japanese version is far more understated while the Funimation dub is straight up synth-rock if that helps. Depends on if you prefer orchestral music or rock for DBZ. Personally at this point in time I could go for either even if I prefer my scores to be orchestral, but I remember as a kid being a little irked at not being given a choice. The Shuki Levy stuff can stay buried by the sands of time for all I care though.
Would you like me to find the END DUB BGM for the scene in question? I dont mind.
maybe because of nostalgia I found myself looking for the ENG DUB scenes and the BGM for said scenes.

But I will say this my opinion maybe bias because I grow up with the Funnimation Dub of the series.
Old 2012-07-27, 15:18   Link #39
DeathStrike
SLASH!

Dragon Ball Z 2013 Movie Trailer

Old 2012-07-27, 16:15   Link #40
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathStrike View Post
Ugh.... was that GT kid Goku I saw?
Shadow5YA is online now   Reply With Quote