AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Madoka Magica

Notices

Old 2012-10-25, 17:37   Link #821
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
Gen always trolls. Madoka was the title character, but the focus of the story was not really on her, so much as it was about her, until the end. Otherwise it was the other girls who drove the narrative. Homura for all of it, Mami for part, Kyouko for a bit and especially Sayaka for a good number of episodes.
Maybe you mean focus on screen-time, but if we talk the narrative, then the focus was always mainly on Madoka. At the start we don't know Homura's goals or motivations, so her actions are merely a plot device to drive Madoka's storyline. Homura's own story is told in just one episode, and it mostly serves to set the stage for Madoka's final decision and actions. Even Sayaka was more of a character than Homura, narratively speaking, since her goals and motivations were explored across various episodes and she even had a proper resolution, which Homura didn't. Even then though, Sayaka's storyline also plays as a device for Madoka, who is the main focus of the series.

Quote:
It is a good premise to explore in the movie, as a thematic element about her character. However I do not expect the story to have that as the only element
Not the only element but the main one. The epilogue of the series already set the stage for the kind of story, if you think about it. Homura's goal is to protect Madoka's world, so whether the Incubators find a loophole on the system or Madoka's wish fails for some other reason, it will become a direct obstacle against Homura's stated goal. Any issue threatening Madoka's world will automatically be an antagonist force against Homura.

That's your movie right there. All we need to know is the nature of the problem and how the other chanters fit in, but the core story is right there.

Quote:
Her wish defeats the immediate issues of Walpurgis and her own Witch from destroying everything, and it helps save the girls from the nasty fate of becoming Witches as well. However it still leaves the system, and all of the despair, and the most insidious element intact: Kyubey.
The point is that Madoka achieved what she decided to do. Dealing with the system and Kyubey wasn't her main concern. Besides, she knew nothing good would come out of trying to mess with that anyway.

This goes in line with what Urobuchi said about "hoping too much". When we wish for too much, when we want the cake and eat it too, someone else is inevitably going to suffer to compensate for that. This is what Urobuchi himself said he was getting at with the series. All the characters except Madoka hoped for more than they should, and that's why their hope backfired on them. Madoka on the other hand restrained herself. Yes, she might have been able to do a lot more, with the power she had, but that would have resulted in an even greater despair.

Madoka achived her goal because she restrained her hope and desires. And she did win, because that's the only way to win in Urobuchi's world.

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2012-10-25 at 18:04.
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-25, 17:40   Link #822
Animexcel

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRW View Post
this probably most frequently asked question but..

when is the blu-ray ver come out?

I'm certainly getting the Madoka movies on blu ray when they come out. I don't own the series on dvd/blu ray because some of the changes from the tv broadcast didn't sit well with me.
Animexcel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-25, 19:41   Link #823
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

@Kazu - I think we're discussing the same thing with different viewpoints, and it's just leading us in circles. So I think I'll bow out of the debate for now until we get more movie info. I just wanted to get some speculation that had been sitting on my brain out there so it wasn't bugging me so much.
Old 2012-10-25, 19:51   Link #824
Kazu-kun

We kinda went overboard I suppose... it wasn't my intention to kill the discussion though, so yeah, sorry about that.

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2012-10-25 at 20:38.
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-25, 20:20   Link #825
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Honestly, I kind of like Solace's "Madoka reincarnated" idea, though I do respect why AuraTwilight and Kazu-kun are less keen on it.

Here's the thing - Putting aside all the thematic, philosophical, and ontological discussions pertaining to Madoka, "Godoka", and the Madoka-verse, I feel that Kaname Madoka the Magical Girl remains a fount of largely untapped potential.

Aside from Episode 10 of the original TV anime, we never really get to see her at all.

So here's an idea, branching off of Solace's.

Godoka sees that these witches are coming back, in spite of her wish. To try to correct that, she kind of incarnates herself as a baby within Junko once more. Kaname Madoka is reborn, but with a strict destiny: The destiny to be the Puella Magi leader fighting back the renewed rise of the witches. She's not "coming back" to simply enjoy a normal human life, but to "finish the job" that her wish unfortunately did not do.

But honestly, that's just some whimsical speculation on my part. I doubt the narrative will go that way, though I do think it could be a lot of fun. Honestly, wouldn't it be neat to see all five members of the main cast actually fight as a magical girl team for a change?

Or perhaps Godoka will "give birth" to a brand new magical girl that's very similar to the human version of her "mother", but distinct in some ways. Now there's an idea that could easily fit into SHAFT's likely plans to milk this franchise for all its worth!

Edit: Honestly, I think we might be focusing too much on "Gen's vision", and not enough on where SHAFT wants this franchise to go. We already know from this thread here that Gen plans for the Madoka franchise to continue under the vision of different writers. That being the case, I wouldn't be so sure that Gen is going to be all that insistent on a very firm, particular vision for the world of Madoka Magica. I also think that it might be worth considering that the third movie itself might be, in part, a lead-in to where SHAFT plans to take this franchise next beyond the movie trilogy.

Honestly, I was shocked when I read that Gen is going to let other writers take over what is really the man's "baby" in many respect. I half-wonder if Gen might be going through a life transition like Anno did, where he might be mellowing out a bit over some of his core ideas, and hence be a bit more flexible when it comes to where the Madoka narrative can and will go.

Will there one day be a "Rebuild of Madoka" that contrasts with the original like how the Rebuild movies contrast with the original NGE? It might be something worth speculating about...

Last edited by Triple_R; 2012-10-25 at 20:36.
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-25, 21:36   Link #826
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

Send a message via AIM to AuraTwilight Send a message via MSN to AuraTwilight
Clearly, the rebirth thing is a symbol for Madoka passing on her Magical Girl powers to Homura, who will fight the return of Witches.

When Homura fails, she will pass the torch.

She's Homura Akemi. She's a Witch Slayer.

Season two of the anime will be directed by Joss Whedon.
Old 2012-10-25, 21:59   Link #827
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraTwilight View Post
Season two of the anime will be directed by Joss Whedon.
To which I reply: "I'm throwing money at the screen, but nothing is happening!"

I miss Buffy.
Old 2012-10-25, 22:17   Link #828
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

There's the comic continuation!

...Which sucks. But you know!
Old 2012-10-25, 22:41   Link #829
KoiYuki

I dunno if this ever got cleared up, but I saw the movies, and the 'human/fetus' inside 'godoka' was Madoka. It was the same animation as the TV ED where she's in a fetal position in Faust's eye, and the Godoka-ish person she was in was blurry, iirc just one color, and the hair was kinda vague and warping (and cut off our view). I think it was Godoka too, but I don't remember it being very visually clear.

Anyway, I really liked the movies, and I thank the Tuesday LA crowd for being quiet (save for the idiot who's phone kept going off and they ignored it).
KoiYuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-25, 23:26   Link #830
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

Then perhaps it's just a reversal of the Magia eyecatch where Fetal Position Madoka is inside Kriemheld Gretchen, creating a contrast using her transformation into a goddess?
Old 2012-10-26, 00:19   Link #831
Kazu-kun

If it's symbolic, the silhouette of human Madoka inside the silhouette of Ultimate Madoka might just mean that even in that state she still retains a bit of her humanity (emotionally speaking I mean, not literally).

Then again, this is Shaft we're talking about, so it probably doesn't mean anything.
Old 2012-11-12, 13:07   Link #832
Julio C
Bury My Shell

Send a message via AIM to Julio C Send a message via MSN to Julio C Send a message via Yahoo to Julio C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animexcel View Post
I'm certainly getting the Madoka movies on blu ray when they come out. I don't own the series on dvd/blu ray because some of the changes from the tv broadcast didn't sit well with me.
What were these changes? I never noticed anything different when I watched the BD version.
Julio C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-12, 13:45   Link #833
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio C View Post
What were these changes? I never noticed anything different when I watched the BD version.
Changes in background, lightning, some facial expressions and movements... There's a lot of these changes actually.
Old 2012-11-12, 17:07   Link #834
Rayneing
Trombe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
Changes in background, lightning, some facial expressions and movements... There's a lot of these changes actually.
As well as actually animating the fight between Homura and Walpurgisnacht, instead of the unfortunate broadcast version. The only change I can think of that might actually upset someone is Mami's less shocked expression during the Charlotte scene.
Old 2012-11-12, 18:43   Link #835
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayneing View Post
The only change I can think of that might actually upset someone is Mami's less shocked expression during the Charlotte scene.
I didn't like the slight change in movement and facial expression on Homura after she breaks up the fight between Kyouko and Sayaka in episode 5 (I'm talking about the shot when she's doing her hair flipping thing). It's just a very subtle change but somehow makes Homura look less cooler.
Old 2012-11-13, 06:09   Link #836
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...-1-billion-yen

If the two films together have earned over 1 billion yen then how does that compare to other late night anime films?
omimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-13, 07:05   Link #837
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

I just watched the first 2 episodes from AFA. So does their ticket sales count towards the 1B as well?

Spoiler for spoilers:

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-13, 10:15   Link #838
maximilianjenus
[E]

in reply to your spoilered comment:

No, I don't think that it will be it, if anything, this movie has to follow up on the anime ending, it would nto surprise me if the second season does what you said, but the movie has to specifically follow the anime ending.
maximilianjenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-13, 14:38   Link #839
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Correct, and actually while it is technically a "good end", it really isn't. It's more like a feel good ending that turns into a realization of horror. It's the cruelest ending imaginable.
Old 2012-11-13, 16:04   Link #840
Julio C
Bury My Shell

Send a message via AIM to Julio C Send a message via MSN to Julio C Send a message via Yahoo to Julio C
Are the movies still playing in theaters anywhere in the states? I really want to watch them now, but I think it's too late for that.
Julio C is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
madoka magica, movie