AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2013-01-16, 04:17   Link #121
Used Can

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfsac View Post
Wait! Isn't Kaoru his best friend ( a boy)?
Yes, Kaoru is Eita's best friend, but she just pretended to be a boy - for whatever reason.
Has this been explained in the LN already, or is it yet to be explained?

Anyhow, have you guys got your vol. 6 copies? I actually.... you know... sort of expected a biiit more of hype on that new volume, especially due to the (Chinese) spoilers I posted, but well, that aside. I'm eagerly awaiting for those who read the novel to share with us the juicy bits.

I'm happy Kunagisa is now on the boat as well (hopefully, yes?), so now we can get even more perspectives on the novel.
Old 2013-01-16, 05:06   Link #122
larethian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunagisa View Post
Without Volume 4, I cannot recommend this series to anyone. Quite honestly, like Yuuji^2 said in the afterwords of volume 1, this is not just a stereotypical story, this is a SUPER stereotypical story. Book 2 and 3 were able to introduce more elements to keep the interaction from getting stagnant, while Book 4 was able to completely boost all the girls (even Mana) and advance the plot without letting up the pace or introduce unnecessary drama. Being able to connect to the title at the very end is a good finishing touch too. Unless something crazy happened at volume 5 and 6 I wouldn't count Chiwa out of the competition yet, and she is indeed a very well written character. Seriously, that last scene in volume 4 is very befitting of a maiden of her stature and status. Cute without being overly diabetic.

Extremely satisfying reading through in one sitting. Volume 5 is supposed to be side stories so I'm in no hurry to read it. I know everyone like to "choose winners" for this type of stories, but I rather want a harem end (or nice boat as previously mentioned; DIE A-KUN). Both Chiwawa and Masuzu have very well constructed characters with amazing personalities, but Hime and Ai will just make you happy when reading about them.

This ended up being way longer than I wanted it to be, but the most amazing thing is
Spoiler for !!!:
Really? I don't quite agree actually. There's a definite bias, at least in terms of scenes and couple chemistry.

Firstly, I would like to state I would really feel bad for Chiwa if she doesn't win. She's just too holy. As a matter of fact, like what Masuzu stated, the other 3 shone too brightly, especially after what they did for her, with that Ji-En-Otsu tag they made for the club president T_T

I would say I will feel equally bad if Masuzu doesn't win, after what she has gone through with her father. Like one of the possible ends I stated very early, it's quite possible for a Chiwawa end and with the relationship between Eita and Masuzu ending on a friendly note, with both them getting their grips with romance resolved through this fake relationship.

With regards to Hime and Ai, initially, I could care less due to lack of development (in terms boy x girl scenes), until vol 5, where Hime got a little boost and we got to know a little about her family background.

With regards to bias, let's examine the facts as presented.

Scene-wise/Screentimes/Developments
1. We know that volume 1 is pretty balanced between Chiwa and Masuzu.

2. As for vol 2, it looks like Hime-centered, but Masuzu got a fair amount of development when Mana appeared. In fact, there was hardly much development for Hime. All we know about Hime is that she's a hardcore chuuni and rather 'clingy' towards Eita.

3. For vol 3, it's totally Ai's volume. She got plenty of development here, but not enough to overshadow Chiwa and Masuzu. And she managed to handicap her attacking power in this Shuraba by coming up with a fictitious boyfriend *facepalm*; though no doubt that such a setup makes it extremely funny (@Used Can, it's in this volume we start to get strong hints that Kaoru is a girl, we subsequently get even stronger hints in v4 and v5 that Kaoru is a girl through various events; it was never outright asserted that she's a girl though)

4. Vol 4 is definitely the best to date. Ai got points for noticing that Masuzu might be using Eita as a shield. But the fact that she got glossed over during the confession contest, man, Yuji Yuji, is she really your favorite? I would say 50% of v4 is on Masuzu and 50% on other girls (who have formed an alliance at this point).

Chemistry-wise, well, I thought it's quite obvious which pair is the strongest. Jojo fans, knowing each other's 'darkness', kissing in every volume save volume 5, having the same value-system towards love, well...... I'm not sure what to make of this...... With regards to the other 3 girls, Chiwa finally got 1 kiss in, Hime managed to slip into Eita's sheets naked and is a fellow Chuuni, and Ai, well hmm, I find her adorably funny, but hardly any chemistry with Eita (perhaps, I might have forgotten some of the better scenes with Eita in v3, though aside from Eita remembering Aa-chan during fireworks event at the end of v3 IIRC, I don't see much love points gained by Ai if this were an Otome game; for that matter, she seems to just constantly invoke silent tsukkomis from Eita whenever the Michael/Michel charade comes up )

Of course, this is not to say I'm asserting that he's gunning for a Masuzu end for certain nor to say I dislike any of the girls and just shipping for Masuzu end because of this, but with what we have to date, whether intentionally or unintentionally, he has shaped up Eita x Masuzu more nicely than the rest. For all we know, he might have realized that himself and trying to turn things around (adding Kaoru to the mix and having a volume 6.5 in the pipeline just strengthens this suspicion of mine). That's why after volume 5, I became more conservative and think that an open Shuraba end has become even more likely. As for harem ends, it's always a wishful thing for readers but seldom happens in settings like this. Unless one considers an open end to be an implied harem end.

My 2 cents.

As for v6, I will be able to get my hands on it latest by Saturday. Though doesn't mean I will be able to find time to read it. And I'm not going to read 2ch spoilers before that.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-16, 10:46   Link #123
Used Can

Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post
(@Used Can, it's in this volume we start to get strong hints that Kaoru is a girl, we subsequently get even stronger hints in v4 and v5 that Kaoru is a girl through various events; it was never outright asserted that she's a girl though)
I'd say we got hints like those a bit before. I mean, in vol. 2 Kaoru teased Eita with that idea.
Anyhow, considering it hasn't been blatantly shown in the novels that Kaoru is girl, I guess the answer to my question is no.
As for Kaoru joining the harem, my guess is it wouldn't be odd. Come on, we've got two childhood friends (one of which he is "engaged" with), we have the "previous lover," we have the "girlfriend," and now we have the best friend.
If you think about it, it's funny, because only Chiwa and Kaoru would be the real deal in the "roles" they play considering they're indeed Eita's childhood-friend and best friend respectively, whereas Ai isn't his fiancée, Hime isn't a past lover, and Masuzu isn't his girlfriend.

Moving along, I've got a question. Has Masuzu ever apologised for any of the questionable things she's done? For example, the things she did to Chiwa in vol.1, especially the date, were really bad. I don't recall her doing anything nearly as bad in vol.2, so my guess is she dropped the mockery. However, other than her feeling bad about her actions in vol.4 when the girls were nice to her, has she ever tried to make up for her misdeeds or being genuinely nice to the other girls?
I get the impression that Masuzu's relationship with the girls is important too, since she doesn't appear to me as a person with many friends, and by reading the manga adaptation of vol.2 it strikes me that the club is important for Masuzu to start caring about others and learn to have fun (without bullying).
Old 2013-01-16, 22:09   Link #124
larethian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Used Can View Post
I'd say we got hints like those a bit before. I mean, in vol. 2 Kaoru teased Eita with that idea.
Anyhow, considering it hasn't been blatantly shown in the novels that Kaoru is girl, I guess the answer to my question is no.
As for Kaoru joining the harem, my guess is it wouldn't be odd. Come on, we've got two childhood friends (one of which he is "engaged" with), we have the "previous lover," we have the "girlfriend," and now we have the best friend.
If you think about it, it's funny, because only Chiwa and Kaoru would be the real deal in the "roles" they play considering they're indeed Eita's childhood-friend and best friend respectively, whereas Ai isn't his fiancée, Hime isn't a past lover, and Masuzu isn't his girlfriend.

Moving along, I've got a question. Has Masuzu ever apologised for any of the questionable things she's done? For example, the things she did to Chiwa in vol.1, especially the date, were really bad. I don't recall her doing anything nearly as bad in vol.2, so my guess is she dropped the mockery. However, other than her feeling bad about her actions in vol.4 when the girls were nice to her, has she ever tried to make up for her misdeeds or being genuinely nice to the other girls?
I get the impression that Masuzu's relationship with the girls is important too, since she doesn't appear to me as a person with many friends, and by reading the manga adaptation of vol.2 it strikes me that the club is important for Masuzu to start caring about others and learn to have fun (without bullying).
No, I don't remember Masuzu ever directly apologizing to anyone yet.
In volume 1, initially, she did have concerns about Sakagami due to the rumors she heard. It was implied that she was genuinely happy for Chiwa when she succeeded in getting a date with Sakagami. Though after realizing that Chiwa got tricked, she wanted to take the opportunity to turn her to their side (meaning becoming 'anti-romance').

We must bear in mind that Masuzu was never her true self, since she doesn't have one to begin with. Her father made her act all goody in front of his friends and associates and used her as an accessory. As such, in school, she acted good, maintaining appearances. Perhaps, it's due to this that she developed a so-called wicked personality beneath, the complete opposite of what she needed to act as in public, as a means of denying her 'good' self. That wicked personality thus can't be seen as real either imho, even though she believes that's her real self somehow. Everything about Masuzu is a charade. No can truly understand her, since even she doesn't understand herself. The closest might be Eita, though he apparently still have problems telling truth from lies.

Indeed, I agree that the club is a place for her to have genuine fun, make friends. It was already implied in volume 1 that she was having genuine fun while scripting all those scenarios for Chiwa and helping her practice. Though of course, one can argue that she just wants to have a wicked good laugh in the end.

Kunagisa, Used Can, larethian. Just made me think of Denyuuden all of a sudden
Old 2013-01-17, 01:28   Link #125
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
No, I don't remember Masuzu ever directly apologizing to anyone yet.
Well... while Volume 4 chapter 12 maybe doesn't count as a true "apology", it at least has a public acknowledgement of her misdeeds. She openly admits that her actions were horrible in front of a big crowd, and I feel that her confession was very genuine due to the circumstances.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-17, 02:47   Link #126
Okashira
どうだろうね。ふふ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
Well... while Volume 4 chapter 12 maybe doesn't count as a true "apology", it at least has a public acknowledgement of her misdeeds. She openly admits that her actions were horrible in front of a big crowd, and I feel that her confession was very genuine due to the circumstances.
I also thought something in those lines. The only time that Masuzu thought that she had to make up to the rest of them (and specially Chiwa), was when she decided to show up in the contest in her current depressed state. She understood perfectly that she wasn't going to win, but she felt that she should still show her ship sinking to Chiwa as amends to what she had done so far (I think that's even literally mentioned as such in the volume? When Eita was talking with Masuzu the night before that).....

.... That's a very Masuzu like way of showing regret, I guess? She never thought of something normal like apologizing, or making up to them or something brighter on those lines.
Old 2013-01-19, 14:43   Link #127
larethian

I must comment that, that last scene of Masuzu flipping to the end of Eita's note in episode 3 was very nicely placed.

One interesting thing about the anime for me is that, it's hard to tell which volume they are going to end the show with, and how the arrangement of the next episode would be still escapes me:
1. are we going to finish v1 in the first half of next episode, and start v2 in the second half?
2. or stretch the conclusion of v1 to fill the entire episode?
3. or bring forward some other background info to fill episode 4 up, together with the conclusion of v1?
Old 2013-01-19, 22:32   Link #128
Used Can

Quote:
I must comment that, that last scene of Masuzu flipping to the end of Eita's note in episode 3 was very nicely placed.
You mean it, because she read the whole thing on Eita wanting to become a doctor to help fix Chiwa's body? I think this was brought up during vol.4, wasn't it?

Quote:
One interesting thing about the anime for me is that, it's hard to tell which volume they are going to end the show with, and how the arrangement of the next episode would be still escapes me:
1. are we going to finish v1 in the first half of next episode, and start v2 in the second half?
2. or stretch the conclusion of v1 to fill the entire episode?
3. or bring forward some other background info to fill episode 4 up, together with the conclusion of v1?
My guess us they'll give each volume 4 episodes. So, they'll do up to vol.3.
I don't know if vol.3 has an ending that would work for the anime.
Old 2013-01-20, 05:30   Link #129
DevotionFX
紅月の瞋願

Quote:
My guess us they'll give each volume 4 episodes. So, they'll do up to vol.3.
I don't know if vol.3 has an ending that would work for the anime.
Or maybe, they will make 4 EPs of OVA like Kokoro Connect.

PS. just guess.
DevotionFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-20, 06:00   Link #130
Used Can

They could... but considering how pivotal vol. 4 is to the story, I seriously doubt it.
I hope the anime sells decently to grant a second season. I guess this is why some people would like vol.4 to be adapted in this anime, since from the info we've got, it's easily by far the best volume so far, and from what I've read about volumes 5 and 6, vol.4 pretty much set the pacing for what would happen afterwards. In other words it's when "shit starts getting real" or, at least, to the context of this story.
Old 2013-01-21, 13:57   Link #131
Kunagisa

(previously mentioned here)

Seems like original ending from the wording (4th line).
Kunagisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-21, 14:21   Link #132
Used Can

Makes sense, considering the ending of the volumes are never anything too flashy, I don't find it surprising they're having an original development to wrap things up. That said, I'm expecting this development to go in-line with what they had covered up in the novels, and doesn't contradict anything that comes afterwards in the original material. It'd be sad if they did.

Hopefully this isn't a subtle "we know this will sell like shit; so, don't expect any more of it."
Old 2013-01-21, 15:31   Link #133
Uberchu

Quote:

Could anybody translate what was said there?
Uberchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-21, 16:15   Link #134
Used Can

Nice, it seems, so far, the Oreshura anime has been well-received:
http://yaraon.blog109.fc2.com/blog-entry-14122.html
Old 2013-01-21, 19:43   Link #135
sky black swordman

So an anime original ending, huh.

I just hope they do it right with possibility of a season 2.
Old 2013-01-21, 21:31   Link #136
larethian

Quote:

Indeed, there's going to be original content to tie things up. As to whether it can be continued from there remains to be seen.

Quote:
Nice, it seems, so far, the Oreshura anime has been well-received:
http://yaraon.blog109.fc2.com/blog-entry-14122.html
Don't think so. The article refers to sales ranking of only the LN/comic that are adapted into anime this cour. It just shows that OreShura LN ranks the highest in terms of sales, comparing to the other source material for this season. It's not an indication there's a great increase in sales (though having an increase would be normal). Also note that, volume 6 just came out (which would have definitely added to the numbers; though I heard a few places have sold out, in fact, my Kino told me their supplier has run out of stock). In any case, it doesn't necessarily correlate to the anime reception, though apparently, for Kotoura-san, there is really a great increase in the sales of the source material after 1st episode aired. In fact, most of the comments on OreShura anime were negative.
Old 2013-01-22, 16:35   Link #137
Used Can

Quote:
Don't think so. The article refers to sales ranking of only the LN/comic that are adapted into anime this cour. It just shows that OreShura LN ranks the highest in terms of sales, comparing to the other source material for this season. It's not an indication there's a great increase in sales (though having an increase would be normal). Also note that, volume 6 just came out (which would have definitely added to the numbers; though I heard a few places have sold out, in fact, my Kino told me their supplier has run out of stock). In any case, it doesn't necessarily correlate to the anime reception, though apparently, for Kotoura-san, there is really a great increase in the sales of the source material after 1st episode aired. In fact, most of the comments on OreShura anime were negative.
I know, but that along the other blog entries in Yaraon seems to show that it's been rather well received. The 1st episode got some bad reviews, but the reviews get better as the anime keeps moving.
Old 2013-01-23, 12:09   Link #138
nfsac

SO any more information on volume 6?
nfsac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-29, 13:09   Link #139
Used Can

If you'd like some info, here are two sites with info. By the say, volume 6.5 seems to be coming out on February 15th. It's apparently Kaoru-centric.

As for volume 6 spoilers, if you understand a bit of Japanese, you can read a lot on it here:
http://lightnoveldatematome.blog.fc2...ntry-1111.html
http://kenkenmk2.blog94.fc2.com/blog-entry-1299.html

From what I've read, volume 6 is easily much more intense than volume 4.
There seems to be a new girl named Saijō Yura, who is apparently Eita's runner up to #1 spot in school. She seems to be from a well-known family of doctors and she's good friends with Chiwa.

Anyway, I'd be posting spoilers myself, but there are some things I'm not sure about (my moon skills is not particularly good).
Old 2013-01-29, 20:03   Link #140
sky black swordman

Thanks for the info.

Eita doesn't know Kaoru is girl, I hope as soon as he does Eita remembers the confession in volume 2.

What are the chances Saijō Yura wiil join and expand Eita's harem ?

Tags
club, harem, romance, school life, shounen