Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-08-14, 02:32   Link #2541
Traece
:cool:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Well, anime is a visual medium. Anybody who knows me at all, knows that I'm very big on the importance of storytelling/writing in anime, but if an anime looks bad to a viewer, that's a considerable negative. There are some anime shows that I found hard to get into due to its character designs.
Even in manga, art is still a factor. In manga and animation, the art takes the place of descriptions in a story. There's no need to describe a setting or the emotions conveyed by the physical character when you can show them. In a novel, however, building your world through description and the actions of your characters is just as important as the dialogue or the narration.

So it's a valid reason to not like an anime. Soul Eater was an anime that I delayed watching for quite some time because I disliked the design of the characters (specifically their noses, which were drawn just fine if they had all been pigs on a farm and not gun-toting, scythe-wielding teenagers).
Old 2013-08-14, 04:02   Link #2542
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

And yet, when people who dislike anime due to their "big bulging eyed looks", anime fans tend to argue saying don't judge a book by the cover and watch it for the content!

Funny how the standards only conform to our own self interest. Humans.
Old 2013-08-14, 05:26   Link #2543
DarkJak2050

I hate to break up what you guys are talking about, but I'll just throw this in.

If there's one anime I'll have to say, it would be Girls und Panzer.

I don't really know how to explain it, but I just feel disgusted and disappointed about it. The concept of being a better woman by doing Tankery? I'm guessing that's with Women having power to them.

The part where the main cast's instructor came in with her tank; she just simply ran over the school headmaster's car and doesn't seem to give a flying fuck about it. And they said that the headmaster was a man.

I guess with their instructor doing something like that tells me that woman can do whatever they want with a tank and they get away scott-free.

Another thing is that there are virtually no guys. Not even in support roles. Guys are just simply kicked to the curb and left out in the cold.

One thing that really set me off was what was said in episode 8. One of the girls said something like this:

"Why are they running?

"Isn't it because we're chasing them in all of our tanks?"

"That's right. Guys run away when you chase them, too, for some reason." [giggling and smiling]

When I first heard her said, that I just went "Sheesh, I wonder why..."

That "for some reason" part is what really set me off; say it all casually, like it's just a game.

With her saying that, I take it that she forgets why guys run from them.

I would say more but just thinking about Girls und Panzer is making me want to barf.

That's one anime I'm both disgusted and disapointed about.

Freakin sorry pathetic conflicting excuse for an anime.

And I watched it to get away from the Naruto Shippuden and Bleach Filler episodes. Turned out to be a huge mistake, 4 1/2 hours wasted.

I would've been better off watching those filler episodes or Sword Art Online multiple times.

I don't want to talk about guys...

It's something that I just had to get out of my chest.

I'm not ragging out on those who like Girls und Panzer.

Everyone has their own tastes in anime, it turns out that Girls und Panzer had left a very disgusting and disappointing aftertaste for me.

Last edited by DarkJak2050; 2013-08-14 at 05:37.
Old 2013-08-14, 09:28   Link #2544
Joyce_Steele
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkJak2050 View Post
Another thing is that there are virtually no guys. Not even in support roles. Guys are just simply kicked to the curb and left out in the cold.
Do you expect some good female characters in yaoi shows? I doubt it. So does with anime that aimed for 20-something male otakus like K-On!, Lucky Star, A-Channel and so on. If you want to see anime with good male characters I recommend you to see 07-Ghost, Free! and K instead. Just don't expect them in moe shows like Girls und Panzer and K-On! for examples.
Old 2013-08-14, 10:31   Link #2545
Eragon
Still Alive

Are those examples of good male characters or good-looking male characters?
Old 2013-08-16, 01:04   Link #2546
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Well, never much of a fan for Freezing, Sword Art Online (quite weird, usually I like series with similar settings) and Negi.
Maybe it's just my taste...
Old 2013-08-17, 03:47   Link #2547
BaKaBaKaOtaKu
Stupidity is Bliss.

I like the Anime of SNK but I couldn't get into the manga because of how badly drawn it was. But in spite of that, I still read it and pretended the drawing was fine
Old 2013-08-17, 03:54   Link #2548
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:

If there's one anime I'll have to say, it would be Girls und Panzer.
Not a fan of GnP myself.... had to drop it after a couple of episodes. The concept of girls running tanks ain't actually look cool for my taste add the "worst aiming" and "stupidest tank strategy" in an anime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyce_Steele View Post
Do you expect some good female characters in yaoi shows? I doubt it. .
I don't think its necessarily that they have to be good looking.... he might be just looking for a show where even if it's supposedly an all girls cast anime there should be still some male supporting cast somehow that will have some slight significance to the characters' development ( their father and male friends etc) . Why removed every single male in the series even in the back ground? I don't think it'll ruin the show in anyway. I don't think they're eye sores to male otaku fans...
Old 2013-08-17, 04:45   Link #2549
Safu
猿も木から落ちる。
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via Yahoo to Safu
I honestly don't really like Amnesia, and Brothers Conflict. I have to admit, Amnesia's plot, also the art and the main characters were pretty good. The girl main character was pretty emotionless (not in the good way for me) which made me feel so-so whenever I watch it. She was "blank" too. I know that there are certain circumstances as to why she became like that. But, it's just not my thing.

Brothers Conflict, I've watched it for around 5 episodes, and then I gave up. It's plot wasn't that interesting.

We can tell that they're too focused in romance/fan-service. Other than that, there were not much progress. Probably the girl main character wouldn't choose anyone at the end. (I can relate though, since it was adapted from the game that is targeted towards female market; the same as Amnesia). Again, it's not my thing.
Old 2013-08-17, 04:56   Link #2550
DarkJak2050

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
Not a fan of GnP myself.... had to drop it after a couple of episodes. The concept of girls running tanks ain't actually look cool for my taste add the "worst aiming" and "stupidest tank strategy" in an anime.
And having cute girls driving tanks... That just doesn't look right at all. Even with the uniforms they wear.

Quote:
I don't think its necessarily that they have to be good looking.... he might be just looking for a show where even if it's supposedly an all girls cast anime there should be still some male supporting cast somehow that will have some slight significance to the characters' development ( their father and male friends etc). Why removed every single male in the series even in the back ground? I don't think it'll ruin the show in anyway. I don't think they're eye sores to male otaku fans...
Exactly. One anime I can make an example of this, is Freezing.

Freezing is not an all-girls cast, but both genders are given roles in that series. That is what I like. For starters, it's when they're in combat.

The girls are fighting on the frontlines, while the guys stay back and provide support for them.

Unlike in Girls und Panzer, the guys are not kicked to the curb.
Old 2013-08-17, 05:29   Link #2551
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:

Exactly. One anime I can make an example of this, is Freezing.

Freezing is not an all-girls cast, but both genders are given roles in that series. That is what I like. For starters, it's when they're in combat.
Same goes to Lab Love, Sen Kagura, Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls and Free. They're pretty balance with presence of both sexes that has significance for either the plot and character development....
Old 2013-08-17, 06:33   Link #2552
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
To be honest, you’re not in capacity to make that judgment I bolded when you only watched the first couple of episodes when those girls are still freaking new with controlling tanks. That said, their aiming are fine if not great considering that they’re newbies and controlling very old tanks. Also, the “tank battles” in GuP are just games (Not serious battles at all. Heck they don’t even use live ammo) and the “stupid” strategies are actually brilliant given their situations. Please try to look at it from a proper perspective. So, if you don’t like the concept of a show, just say so without adding unfair claims to the show you barely watched.

For what it’s worth, at least Girls und Panzer doesn’t feature powered-girls who constantly battling each other when the world is in obvious danger from invading aliens or loli-witches who are fighting aliens without skirts and showing off their panties to everyone.
Old 2013-08-17, 07:15   Link #2553
Eragon
Still Alive

People seriously need to start dropping shows they obviously don't like and not make absolutist statements that have no grounds to base them on. It would be good for your health.
Old 2013-08-17, 09:18   Link #2554
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
So, if you don’t like the concept of a show, just say so without adding unfair claims to the show you barely watched.
Would it be more ridiculous if I watch it complete ( I watched it up to episode 7 I guess) it and say how bad it was then be told that "hey, why watch it until episode 7 if you don't like it.

If I'm not in the position to say so, then have the title of the thread change... to
Anime you hate (that you finished completely watching) but everyone seems to like?.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eragon View Post
People seriously need to start dropping shows they obviously don't like and not make absolutist statements that have no grounds to base them on. It would be good for your health.
See? This is what I'm saying. One says I should watch it first before I criticize it then the other says why finish it if you don't like it.

If the fans feel offended, IMHO. You can bash my favorite anime if you want.
Old 2013-08-17, 09:28   Link #2555
hyl
reading #hikaributts

Quote:
See? This is what I'm saying. One says I should watch it first before I criticize it then the other says why finish it if you don't like it.

If the fans feel offended, IMHO. You can bash my favorite anime if you want.
You might want to reread what eregon typed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eragon View Post
and not make absolutist statements that have no grounds to base them on.
Old 2013-08-17, 09:36   Link #2556
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyl View Post
You might want to reread what eregon typed
So I can't comment about an anime I hate here???

Sheesh close this thread now...
Old 2013-08-17, 09:55   Link #2557
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
So I can't comment about an anime I hate here???

Sheesh close this thread now...
There is a huge difference between disliking/hating a series and saying something that is wrong about the said series. I don’t have any problem if you only doing the former, but in this case you also did the latter.

So, saying “I hate this GuP’s concept” here is totally fine, but saying false claim like “GuP has worst aiming and strategy in an anime” is wrong because contextually those are not true (it’s the opposite). That claim itself deserves a reply from those who actually watched the entirety of the series and know better.
Old 2013-08-17, 10:00   Link #2558
hyl
reading #hikaributts

Well what obelisk pointed out, was exactly my point

That's like me saying "I dislike Puella Magi Madoka Magica, because it's the usual generic Mahou shoujo anime" , while if someone bothered watching a few episodes more then that person would not have made such a baseless statement
Old 2013-08-17, 10:13   Link #2559
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
There is a huge difference between disliking/hating a series and saying something that is wrong about the said series. I don’t have any problem if you only doing the former, but in this case you also did the latter.

So, saying “I hate this GuP’s concept” here is totally fine, but saying false claim like “GuP has worst aiming and strategy in an anime” is wrong because contextually those are not true (it’s the opposite). That claim itself deserves a reply from those who actually watched the entirety of the series and know better.
We have different opinions and criteria... and leave it as it is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyl View Post
Well what obelisk pointed out, was exactly my point

That's like me saying "I dislike Puella Magi Madoka Magica, because it's the usual generic Mahou shoujo anime" , while if someone bothered watching a few episodes more then that person would not have made such a baseless statement
Can I comment why I dropped it after watching a few episodes only and not requiring to watch it all before I decide to drop it???
Old 2013-08-17, 10:28   Link #2560
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Honestly, guys, I'm with GenjiChan here.

This thread is titled "Anime you hate but everyone seems to like?", which is rather suggestive about what people should expect to see on this thread.

Honestly, I even disliked the extensive blowback one person received for bashing Free! several pages back. I certainly didn't agree with that person, but this thread should be a safe place for people to express dislike/hate of anime shows. It shouldn't be a place for aggrieved fans to rush to the defense of their favorite anime shows, as that kind of undermines the entire point of this thread.

GeniChan is right - If people here on AS can't handle their favorite anime shows taking some heat, then we might as well just close this thread now.