AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2006-08-02, 18:01   Link #121
mit7059

I just reread Ender's game and Ender's Shadow for like the fourth time each, they get better every time you read them. I also recently read the Gatekeepers, as I stress over college applications constantly without actually working on them

More of a manga reader now than an anime watcher. Currently reading list here
mit7059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-04, 20:23   Link #122
sedukshun
kimee ~

hmms lately i have tried reading some korean manga, i must say the style of drawing is a little different. perhaps more beautiful than normal kawaii manga ~ its more serious abit like ayashi no ceres type drawings. but yeah i find them beautiful...and yeh their names are alot harder to remember xD!
i've read some of "kiss me kill me" or is it "kill me kiss me"? lol but anyways its quite interesting and also "chocolat" and a few more titles but i cant remember them...

the book store which i go to is quite limited ~ they have a lot of big titles in manga but not a great variety...like they'd probably only stock the 1st few volumes and nothing more ~ :P so ive been tryin diff forms of manga. if i like a particular manga i search online if it's an actual manga series...if it is I WATCH IT ;D
sedukshun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-05, 13:04   Link #123
Ombrenuit
Day Dreams...

Send a message via AIM to Ombrenuit Send a message via MSN to Ombrenuit
I just finished a fantasy set in feudal Japan (although they never exactly call it Japan). It is called "Across the Nightingale Floor", and in terms of readability, has an excellent and unusual sentence a second style and is always told matter-of-factly without much ornamentation or extreme eloquence. This technique fails in certain places when things happen so quickly I almost have to re-read the paragraph because I can't believe what is going on.

It's the first part of a trilogy, following the rise of a boy who's village is pillaged and burnt to the ground. Barely surviving, he is swept away to the intrique and unusual world and customs of the clans as he is taken in by a Lord with revenge on his mind. However, Takeo, the main character, soon discovers that his heritage isn't all that it seems and that he possesses unique talents.

I think anyone from Animesuki would enjoy this read as it plays out much like an anime (with the urgency of a 13 episode series as well). My only warning is that it's fairly tragic in many respects. The heavy, saddening moments far outnumber happiness that Takeo recieves, so this is definitly not one to read when feeling a bit down or depressed.
Ombrenuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-05, 21:56   Link #124
Rufus

I'm currently reading The Philosophical Writings of Descartes Volume 2. I'm in the middle of the second set of replies.
Rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-05, 23:38   Link #125
SweetSpring
Garden of Tsubaki
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to SweetSpring
James and the giant peach finished!!!
SweetSpring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-06, 02:26   Link #126
Kensuke

I just finished Conn Iggulden's "The Emperor - The Death of Kings", second book of his Emperor series about the life of Julius Caesar. Much better than I first thought, first book was mostly about his childhood but now it is really picking up pace, and now the third book...
Kensuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-06, 04:22   Link #127
ekirts

the novel ver of suzumiya haruhi no ______

Volume 1: 涼宮ハルヒの憂鬱 Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu
Volume 2: 涼宮ハルヒの溜息 Suzumiya Haruhi no Tameiki
Volume 3: 涼宮ハルヒの退屈 Suzumiya Haruhi no Taikutsu
Volume 4: 涼宮ハルヒの消失 Suzumiya Haruhi no Shoushitsu
Volume 5: 涼宮ハルヒの暴走 Suzumiya Haruhi no Bousou
Volume 6: 涼宮ハルヒの動揺 Suzumiya Haruhi no Douyou
Volume 7: 涼宮ハルヒの陰謀 Suzumiya Haruhi no Inbou
volume 8: 涼宮ハルヒの憤慨 Suzumiya Haruhi no fungai

so basicly all of them thats out haha its so funny
and reading something else another 8 volumes :P
ekirts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-06, 04:46   Link #128
TERRA Operative
D1-Aria Detected

^^^ Reading the same.
Also, I thought I would look at 'The Fall of Hyperion' and its predecessor 'Hyperion' as read by Yuki in 'The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya' Anime. They are quite good books.
'State of Fear' by Michael Crichton is also a good book.
TERRA Operative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-06, 05:11   Link #129
Zyan

I was sorting out my animes, mangas, manhwas, jdoramas, gaming mags, playboy mags, comics, HK comics etc and I end up re-reading Neil Gaiman's The Sandman series. Moving onto the last book, The Wake.

Have always wondered if someone could come out with a computer game (RPG preferably) based on The Sandman's world. Would be as interesting as Planescape:Torment, I supposed.
Zyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-06, 10:38   Link #130
Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ombrenuit
It's the first part of a trilogy, following the rise of a boy who's village is pillaged and burnt to the ground. Barely surviving, he is swept away to the intrique and unusual world and customs of the clans as he is taken in by a Lord with revenge on his mind. However, Takeo, the main character, soon discovers that his heritage isn't all that it seems and that he possesses unique talents.
That sounds uncannily similiar to the Conclave of Shadows trilogy by Raymond E. Feist, mentioned on the previous page. Actually, it fits your description above perfectly.
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-06, 10:41   Link #131
Hemisphere
見習い魔剣使い

Books on Nietzche's writings. It helps to pass the time.
Old 2006-08-08, 15:58   Link #132
xxmimixx
♥Sebastian's new wife♥
*Artist

Send a message via MSN to xxmimixx Send a message via Yahoo to xxmimixx
Well, I finished those Shojo beats book 1 manga book 4 months ago. It was good.
Old 2006-08-09, 13:58   Link #133
Mephisto2k
anime4life

As for novels and such (not manga books or anything book-like that is not real literature book) I have never ever read anything besides those i have to read for school!
Its not that im all against books and Im sure there might be great stories out there and Im even a fan of deep great stories, but somehow i cant motivate myself to buy and read a book and i wouldnt even know which book. So im ignorantly let the literature life slip by.
Mephisto2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-09, 19:34   Link #134
Ombrenuit
Day Dreams...

Send a message via AIM to Ombrenuit Send a message via MSN to Ombrenuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost
That sounds uncannily similiar to the Conclave of Shadows trilogy by Raymond E. Feist, mentioned on the previous page. Actually, it fits your description above perfectly.
That's incredible I've actually been trying to find some good fantasy to get into lately (it makes me incredibly nostalgic). I was considering a series of short stories called "Thieves World", simply because it has to do with a dark setting + thieves (relating to my obsession with the Thief: The Dark Project series of computer games). Anything you could suggest with a sneaky thiefsie atmosphere? I'd really be interested.
Ombrenuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-10, 08:04   Link #135
Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ombrenuit
That's incredible I've actually been trying to find some good fantasy to get into lately (it makes me incredibly nostalgic). I was considering a series of short stories called "Thieves World", simply because it has to do with a dark setting + thieves (relating to my obsession with the Thief: The Dark Project series of computer games). Anything you could suggest with a sneaky thiefsie atmosphere? I'd really be interested.
I Thief the game series too!! Eh, sorry, I don't know of sneaky thief books to reccommend, but could you tell me who's the author of those short stories you mentioned? Or is it a collection?

About good fantasy, try G.R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series, Books 1 to 4 (Book 3 is in two books/parts and I think 4 was just released). Incredible series that is heartwreching/disgusting at times (edit: no most times). He weaves an intricate and incredible world. There's kings courts, intrigue, graphic sechs and incest, swords, warships, wolves, baby dragons and desert people.. its huge and very well put together.

For a less gritty, "fun" and relatively carefree but still very enjoyable read, try The Belgariad by David Eddings. 5 separate books; but theres a two volume edition out.
Old 2006-08-10, 09:53   Link #136
Flair
Kitsune

I've read a really awesome series called Dragons In Our Midst, by Bryan Davis. It's a series about these two teens who are actually half-human, half-dragon. They have to hide from the evil dragon slayer Devin, who survived somehow from the days of King Arthur. I highly reccomend this series. Each of the four books took me about a day to read, and they're about 400 pages each. The next book will be a prequel to the series, folowed by three sequel books. Find out more at www.dragonsinourmidst.com

Prequel - Oracles of Fire
1 - Eye of the Oracle

Dragons In Our Midst
1 - Raising Dragons
2 - The Candlestone
3 - Circles of Seven
4 - Tears of a Dragon

Sequels - Oracles of Fire
2 - Enoch's Ghost
3 - Last of the Nephilim
4 - The Bones of Makaidos
Flair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-10, 19:02   Link #137
raikage
日本語を食べません!

I'm picking up Robert Kiyosaki's Rich Dad, Poor Dad series from the library.

Sounds really dry and boring (and honestly, it probably will be) but I need to start figuring out what to do financially.

Dragons In Our Midst sounds like a pretty good read. Too bad the library doesn't have it...maybe I'll pick it up.
raikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-11, 09:01   Link #138
AnimeFangirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost
About good fantasy, try G.R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series, Books 1 to 4 (Book 3 is in two books/parts and I think 4 was just released). Incredible series that is heartwreching/disgusting at times (edit: no most times). He weaves an intricate and incredible world. There's kings courts, intrigue, graphic sechs and incest, swords, warships, wolves, baby dragons and desert people.. its huge and very well put together.
Disgusting? What do you mean disgusting. It doesn't have rotting corpses and writhing maggots in it, does it? I hate that stuff. -_-
Old 2006-08-12, 00:55   Link #139
Lost

Rape, incest, a lot of rotting corpses, injustice and murder. -_-
Old 2006-08-13, 03:33   Link #140
Laharu
mao de makai

Send a message via AIM to Laharu Send a message via MSN to Laharu
Dune!!! =D
Laharu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
books