AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-09-17, 03:25   Link #1
tyc00

Your Top 5 Favourite animes of all time PLEASE!!

Hi! I'm pretty new to the anime world as I basically started watching anime last year (which I've been told was a damn good year (2006) to start). I'm looking for some really top-notch anime here. I'm talking like total master pieces in your opinion. I'm hoping to cash in some of your suggestions so please give reasons and try not to duplicate lists (If your anime has been suggested try to think of a second best if you can but please don't feel obliged to in any way if you don't want to). And the anime list does not have to be in any particular order. Also the anime's can be of ANY genre! One more thing, please try not to spoil too much!OK, so I'll get things started.

1. Haibane Renmei -Just a fantastic work of art and storytelling with an amazing ending to boot!

2. Mushishi- Well the art and story just absolutely blew me away in every single episode. I just don't know what else to say, it's just AWESOME!

3. Fate/Stay Night- Well this is where my anime obsession started. Before I knew it I was already so attached to the characters and story. And the ending was VERY fitting.

4. Zegapain- One of the more original mecha animes I've seen. The story was great, the characters were very engaging and the soundtrack was just perfect for setting the right mood and tone in the story.

5. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya- What can I say. Just the single most entertaining thing I've seen in all my life. It was smart, funny, suspenseful and all around fun!
Old 2007-09-17, 03:33   Link #2
Asai
Nya? ^_^
*Fansubber

There's lots of these threads around... but, eh. I'll say my bit.

I can't rate anime in a simple 'top X' type list, as I tend to categorise stuff by genre. I suppose if I took the top of each of my genre lists that might be a place to start, but I don't think it's that simple, since to me, some genres just don't compare to others, so my top few in one might not compare to even a #10 in another.

But, having said that... I suppose my most favourites list would be something along the lines of:

PlanetES for sci-fi
Hikaru no Go for sport
Shinobuden, Yakitate Japan and School Rumble all tie for pure, unadulterated insane comedy.
Full Metal Panic for mecha, with comedy/action elements.
Mushishi for a slightly 'historical' viewpoint. Well, historical is the wrong term. But those who've seen and enjoyed it know what I mean. It stands in a genre if its own, IMO.

But, ask me again tomorrow and the list would change... so. Yeah. I'm not good at this kind of thing. >.<

Of all the ones you've listed, I've watched and loved all of them except Zegapain... haven't seen it, so can't comment. FSN is the best eroge convert I've ever seen, Haibane Renmei was just beautiful, and Haruhi was the best comedy of 2006.
Old 2007-09-17, 04:45   Link #3
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
1) Kimi ga Nozomu Eien: This is a beautiful romance/drama that just blew me away even after the 2093874th time watching it. Although I don't approve of most romance triangles, this one is just perfect. This is a hit or miss for many people.

2) Cardcaptor Sakura (subbed): I enjoyed this anime very much since it has a good mix of romance, comedy, and action. Lots of people shared my views but many also think of it as too childish even though they will admit that it's a classic, so it's basically another hit or miss.

3) Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal: This is probably the best mix of action and romance ever and words cannot describe how good this anime is. Unlike the others on my top 5 list, most people love this anime and I don't really know anyone who hates it.

4) Haibane Renmei: You've already seen it so you know how wonderful it is, although it is also a bad case of hit or miss. People who understands it loves it and people who don't thinks of it as being kinda pointless.

5) SaiKano: This is a very emotional anime portraying the realism of war and it is one of the only anime that could make me teary.

Last edited by KholdStare; 2007-09-17 at 14:04.
Old 2007-09-17, 12:09   Link #4
schiffer
Born Insain
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to schiffer
1: FullMetal Alchemist
2: Hikaru No Go
3: Gundam SEED / Destiny
4: NANA
5: Beck
6: Mushishi
Old 2007-09-17, 12:20   Link #5
RavenHawk
Tsundere Killer

Send a message via MSN to RavenHawk Send a message via Yahoo to RavenHawk
Top 5:

#5 - Hajime no Ippo (Fighting Spirit) - I've always loved boxing! Boxing and then some.

#4 - You're Under Arrest - Miyuki Kobayakawa has always been my favorite female character in the anime world, and nothing will change that, not even a moe' character. Nice story to say the least. Find the sequel too.

#3 - Gundam Wing - I love the action and the storyline there, unlike GSD. You'll like Endless Waltz too.

#2 - Cromartie High School - LAUGHTRIP! The funniest of all comedy anime I watched. Prepare to see stupid delinquents, aliens, robots, a gorilla, and (drumroll please) FREDDIE MERCURY!

#1 - Wolf's Rain - great plot, great characters ( KIBA!), great music, great action! Promise, you'll love the boys and Blue there.

Last edited by RavenHawk; 2007-09-25 at 19:50.
Old 2007-09-17, 13:04   Link #6
tyc00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asai View Post
There's lots of these threads around... but, eh. I'll say my bit.
Yeah I thought there would be so I did do a forum search before making this thread and couldn't find the threads. Must be my forum search abilities...

Anywho, keeps these lists going, some of these sound really awesome and I'm looking to give a few of these a try!
Old 2007-09-17, 13:40   Link #7
Onepiece34
Straw Hat Pirate

1. One Piece (japanese subbed ONLY)
2. DragonBall Z (must-see)
3. Kanon
4. Love Hina
5. Full Metal Alchemist
6. Bleach (good once it reaches ep. 10, TRUST ME)
7. Death Note (Must-see)
8. Chobits
9. Lucky Star (hilarious)
10. Azumanga Daioh (even more hilarious, one of my favourites)
I can't recommend any more really, I haven't watched many apart from One Piece, which you will love, everybody does!
Old 2007-09-17, 14:04   Link #8
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
That reminds me, only watch Cardcaptor Sakura subbed unless you want to be in pain.
Old 2007-09-17, 14:11   Link #9
Trail

In no particular order, Higurashi no Naku koro ni, death note, monster (you can see a pattern here :P), cowboy bebop.

For the fifth place i am not sure. Something between Kanon, School Rumble, Samurai Champloo, GitS, Kenshin OVAs.
Old 2007-09-17, 14:22   Link #10
G. Zeus
Cafe Alpha customer

Send a message via Yahoo to G. Zeus
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyc00 View Post
Yeah I thought there would be so I did do a forum search before making this thread and couldn't find the threads. Must be my forum search abilities...
Hmm. At least only the last word in the topic title was fully capitalized and only 2 exclamation marks were used instead of 3. Oh well, we all go through that phase at one point or another. *shrugs*

1) Rurouni Kenshin: Tsuiokuhen
2) Gunslinger Girl
3) Mushishi
4) Hoshi no Koe
5) Pale Cocoon

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
<º))))><.¸.•´¯`•.¸reviews¸.•´¯`•.¸links¸.•´¯`•.¸.><((((º>
Old 2007-09-17, 14:26   Link #11
Snait3
Antagonist

1. Death Note

2. Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann

3. Fullmetal Alchemist

4. Bleach

5. Monster
Old 2007-09-17, 14:38   Link #12
DeshoDesho
Kyonist

1.The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
2.Rurouni Kenshin
3.Chevalier D`eon(you may not agree,but i loved the historical Setting)
4.Love Hina
5.Lucky Star
Old 2007-09-17, 15:01   Link #13
Ancient Death
Lonely without Suigintou

~Rozen Maiden

~Bleach

~Chobits

~Sailor Moon

~Mahou Sensei Negima!

I have like a million favorites of manga and anime but this will do it
Old 2007-09-17, 15:19   Link #14
Jechtsphere
The Black Swordsman

Send a message via MSN to Jechtsphere
1- Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann (most epic ever!)
2- Berserk (great story, action, blood ect...)
3- GTO: Great Teacher Onizuka (funniest I've ever seen)
4- Neon Genesis Evangelion
5- Trigun
Old 2007-09-17, 16:39   Link #15
xlxsinxlx

Meh, Hard pick... I'll do the ones i watched recently.

1. School Rumble (Funny, hilarous, and love the romance) (Can't wait til third season!!)

2. Seto no Hanayome (OMG LAUGHTER, so funny if u want some good laughs. Mostly it's just me that finds this funny though =D)

3. Hayate no Gotoku (Iono but i think i am easily amused, all the misunderstandings that happen make me laugh so much)

4. Yakitate Japan (EVen though it's about breadmaking, it is so hilarious. Reactions of eating the breads are the most outrageous i have ever seen.

5. Just because i saw this one recent, but Kino no Tabi (Not really interesting but like it's about a guy (actually a girl) journeying and talks about the countries he went, i found it interesting, not many do though)

As you can see i like comedy animes >.>
Old 2007-09-17, 17:37   Link #16
Echoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlxsinxlx View Post
2. Seto no Hanayome (OMG LAUGHTER, so funny if u want some good laughs. Mostly it's just me that finds this funny though =D)
So not true! I don't know about top 5, but this is definitely one of the funniest shows this season.
Old 2007-09-17, 18:21   Link #17
devildog23
Summerlurking

My top 5's been changing a lot recently...

1) Neon Genesis Evangelion - Anime that got me into anime...Amazing character development, three of the best characters to date...I could say a lot more, but I don't have the time...

2) School Rumble - Lol...funniest anime ever. Just thinking about the funny moments can make me laugh.

3) Code Geass - Just finished watching it and it totally blew me away. The main character(Lelouch) is one of my favorite male leads and the show really makes you think. Also C.C. is a pretty great character, unique personality too.

4) Major Season 1 - Great story about baseball. Though the beginning is a little fast paced, it develops the father-son relationship perfectly...along with their love of baseball.
5) Full Metal Panic

EDIT - Changed it after watching Code Geass...
Also - I also think Seto no Hanayome is hilarious (especially episode 20). After the its finished, it'll probably be on my top 10

Last edited by devildog23; 2007-09-29 at 17:59.
Old 2007-09-17, 19:09   Link #18
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

Mine still hasn't shifted...

1. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - The most fun show I've seen yet. I've seen some episodes nearly a dozen times, yet still find it enjoyable. Plus it introduced me to the novel series, which has been a very good read too.

2. Last Exile - One of my earliest favorites, I loved the chess metaphors and the fantastic world in the sky displayed in this show.

3. Azumanga Daioh - Quirky, fun, and never fails to make me smile. It's certainly not laugh-out-loud funny, but the consistant humor will likely remain dear to my heart.

4. Kanon 2006 - Never expected this to make my favorites list, but I was quite surprised by how good this was. I'm still dazzled by the snow and water animation effects. We'll see if Clannad can usurp this position.

5. Rozen Maiden - Another show that I never expected to enjoy until I actually saw it for myself. Blends drama and comedy well, although I think I liked the comedy more. That infamous "stair wars" episode about strawberry do-ra-ma shall never cease to make me laugh.
Old 2007-09-17, 23:09   Link #19
Lurker

Kare Kano - Got me into anime
Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal (though you should probably watch Rurouni Kenshin first)
Azumanga Daioh - fun
Cowboy Bebop - classic
Trigun - classic

Kare Kano count - 2
bet I'll end up recommending it in every post... even the unrelated ones
Quote:
Just throwing this out there.. Naruto's chakra reminds me of Kare Kano's invisible aspects
Old 2007-09-18, 02:06   Link #20
tyc00

Wow these are some great lists! I've seen a lot of the animes recommended on the lists and I must agree that they defiantely belong here! Keep these lists coming though, I'm already writing down the names of the animes that seem to be getting such great attention. This list isn't just for me so keep it going!
Closed Thread

Tags
lists, top five