AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-10-04, 12:51   Link #921
Wesley84

Well, it's over. The fact that Pokota and the other furry will probably be back next season is problematic. Couldn't they have just made Ozel the semi-permanant addition to the group? She might have had something unique to offer, while providing something nice to look at.
Old 2008-10-04, 13:49   Link #922
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

They did a good job at mentioning the matters that will be dealt with in the next series. I really looking forward to it, especially for more of Rezo being mentioned.
Old 2008-10-04, 15:29   Link #923
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Well that first half is done for now. Overall wasn't a great trip and didn't match up with the other seasons. But still curious what will happen next since there is still plenty to deal with.
Old 2008-10-04, 23:39   Link #924
MooMooFarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
Man, watching Zanaffar and all, I'm pretty disappointed in the animation staff for this one. They didn't capture the tension of a WORLD DESTROYING monster this time. With Gaav, Valgaav, Shabranigdo, Rezo and other villains in the first three TV series, it always was a very dire situation and the battles showed it. This time, there is basically none of that gravitas that made the end battle worth watching (that said, this series of episodes' Zanaffar might not be the true end boss. It might be in the next season), but boy am I disappointed with JC Staff in this one.

Frankly, the last time I truly got excited over a fantasy anime was with Tower of Druaga. That show had a lot of direness with the right amount of cute comedy. Can't say the same for Revolution.. I mean where is the threat? The seriousness? It's like the staff forgot that the deadly serious moments MADE Slayers as great as it was. Even the comedy was way off mark by archetyping Lina's crew a bit too much. They didn't get to expand on their old history much, if at all.
Just gonna add a bit here, it seems that SR was pretty much a milk out the last drip of cash from our cow and the budget/designs were very poor. I rofled at Macross Frontier, but even I can acknowledge they did a better job than SR. The graphical upgrade over the decade is beyond a joke, and at times, Lina looked uglier than she did in the original series.

I agree with everything you say =] glad to see some people here that aren't afraid to knock off their shows even though they love it (who else would watch SR? NEW PEOPLE? HAHAHAHAHA)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
I think it's basically a fact that Sylphiel is tossed in there for fanservice's sakes. Like others have said, Zelgadis basically did nothing and didn't even act like the rogue Zelgadis of the past... so he was pretty out of character the whole season. Amelia didn't really cause ANY problems so I felt she was not used well as well. And oh god, Sylphiel obviously won't play much of a big role in that short a time.

If anything, Sylphiel should just travel with Lina's group or have her own adventuring group and have the anime centered around something like that as a sidestory. Though I guess 'originality' isn't the thing the animation team were going for this time. Like I said a while ago, it's like they afraid to touch upon the mythos of the original Slayers trilogy and they are a bit handcuffed for it. Instead, we get a weak character like Pokota who literally dropped out of thin air, Duclis who just isn't threatening at all, and the cat/dog duo who are actually way more worthless than the fox/orc in Try. And goshdarnit, Inspector Wizer was just a total excuse to put Akio Otsuka in there and also not do a damn thing about the core cast.

I know it sounds like I'm bashing the show because I practically am. People thought Try was the lowest point but I think we got the answer to that. Try was a nigh masterpiece compared to this show so far. The hope is that the next 12-13 episodes will totally pick it up, but my expectation is much more bated now.
Yep yep, and here's the kicker; not only do they only use the old material/lore of the original 3, they don't make it newbie friendly either. This can only fail, as new viewers go WTF with the historical crap they spam and the people who are old fans just go dur we know that WHO CARES. It really adds a lot to the non-epic and overall joke that is SR.

Anime is suppose to evolve, but nowadays there are so many studios who just add a little sparkle and make a product even crappier than their past works. There's so many examples throughout this series, but if you actually need an example, then you are probably very easy to please.
Old 2008-10-05, 00:24   Link #925
Wesley84

Mangas are great at least.
Old 2008-10-05, 12:32   Link #926
reverse

Here Lina drawing style in try
She look more cute in past series

Last edited by reverse; 2008-10-05 at 12:43.
Old 2008-10-06, 14:40   Link #927
chechiarts

wtf

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooMooFarm View Post
Just gonna add a bit here, it seems that SR was pretty much a milk out the last drip of cash from our cow and the budget/designs were very poor. I rofled at Macross Frontier, but even I can acknowledge they did a better job than SR. The graphical upgrade over the decade is beyond a joke, and at times, Lina looked uglier than she did in the original series.

I agree with everything you say =] glad to see some people here that aren't afraid to knock off their shows even though they love it (who else would watch SR? NEW PEOPLE? HAHAHAHAHA)

Yep yep, and here's the kicker; not only do they only use the old material/lore of the original 3, they don't make it newbie friendly either. This can only fail, as new viewers go WTF with the historical crap they spam and the people who are old fans just go dur we know that WHO CARES. It really adds a lot to the non-epic and overall joke that is SR.

Anime is suppose to evolve, but nowadays there are so many studios who just add a little sparkle and make a product even crappier than their past works. There's so many examples throughout this series, but if you actually need an example, then you are probably very easy to please.

let me tell you something why do people say try was bad try was as goos as the other seasons dude they have the freaking dark lord darkstar and the darkstar weapons were cool

anyway about revolution i must say that i dint like zanafar but it did give us more info on him how he was made but i would have put the other remaning generals like deep sea or beast master or dynast i would like to see them or what the heck ahat about deadfod or caotic blue i would like to see those guys

what do i think of this season well i like it zanafar was there better that nothing i really hate the replica sword of light i would like to see the blacksword anyone that say this season was bad well it do not lie slayers i must say for people seen slayers for the same time i would have been good if the have put in a flash back from when they figth the copy rezo zanafar
Old 2008-10-06, 14:46   Link #928
chechiarts

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverse View Post
Here Lina drawing style in try
She look more cute in past series

do you have mopre of this from the other characters
Old 2008-10-07, 15:44   Link #929
ZippyDSM
Incoherance is my friend!

meh is no worse than try really, both have their ups and down.
Old 2008-10-07, 17:07   Link #930
MarthX

Try was more enjoyable. Even if you cut Try in half to make up for Revolution only being half of the story, Try is still better.
Old 2008-10-07, 22:16   Link #931
ZippyDSM

Heck the 2nd half of the first season was pretty random and draggy...so all in all Rev is not that bad.SO maybe they are doing it in reverse to season 1 have the first half the random draggy bit and the 2nd half the better less draggy and random half.
Old 2008-10-07, 23:24   Link #932
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZippyDSM View Post
Heck the 2nd half of the first season was pretty random and draggy...so all in all Rev is not that bad.SO maybe they are doing it in reverse to season 1 have the first half the random draggy bit and the 2nd half the better less draggy and random half.
I don't know, no matter how I cut it Revolution feels the worst of all the seasons. I did re-watch all of them before this one got started so its all pretty fresh in my head. The 2nd half of the first season did have some random and draggy stuff, but they didn't take that long to get where they needed to go and it picked up the seriousness quickly. Will see how they do with the second half when it airs, but expectations are a lot lower than they were when I first heard about Revolution.
Old 2008-10-07, 23:38   Link #933
ZippyDSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
I don't know, no matter how I cut it Revolution feels the worst of all the seasons. I did re-watch all of them before this one got started so its all pretty fresh in my head. The 2nd half of the first season did have some random and draggy stuff, but they didn't take that long to get where they needed to go and it picked up the seriousness quickly. Will see how they do with the second half when it airs, but expectations are a lot lower than they were when I first heard about Revolution.
Ah only half of the 2nd half of season one was annoying the Amilia arch was annoying but it did right itself quick.

Next and Try did keep their pace up and didn't drag as much, but all in all Rev is only a bit more draggy only because of Wizer draging down the eps :P
Rev S1 is as bad as the worst archs and eps from Slayers TV 1-3 which is not "that" bad but the rest of Rev needs to be better hopefully they have all the introductions and dumb stuff out of the way as so they can focus on the story and character dev... if not and they keep to bad jokes and randomness it will suck big time.

Edit
I watched it all a few months ago maybe last year and mew dino kitty brains is finally catching up with what went where, I forgot that the Copy Rezo arch was the final of Slayers S2.. that was in Next but that starts with Martina the dragons more or less.
Old 2008-10-10, 07:26   Link #934
MooMooFarm

Quote:
Again, anime are suppose to EVOLVE. If Hajime no Ippo still has to use the same shitty old school drawing techniques (THAT SADLY ARE BETTER THAN ANYTHING SR HAS) to show how moves work, then there's going to be a lot of Q Qing.

First season of Slayers is godly because it was the FIRST SEASON. And guess what? I don't remember much about the random draggy part of slayers, I know how it FELT, but the main stuff that I remember was much more epic than SR. The whole feeling of WOAAHHH is not in SR.

Here's a real analogy. Slayers to Slayers Try had the feel of a Zelda game. Woaaahhh it's time to fight Ganondwarf. Woaahhh it's time to save Hyrule. TREES ARE BURNIN.

Slayers Revolution? HEY MARIO GO SAVE THE PRINCESS. JUMP MARIO JUMP. GOGO DUKE IT OUT WITH BOWSER.

Sure, are both titles for kids? Yep. Does one have a much more EPIC atmosphere while the other has a "QUE MARIO THEMESONG" feel to it? YEP.

Quote:
Next and Try did keep their pace up and didn't drag as much, but all in all Rev is only a bit more draggy only because of Wizer draging down the eps :P
Rev S1 is as bad as the worst archs and eps from Slayers TV 1-3 which is not "that" bad but the rest of Rev needs to be better hopefully they have all the introductions and dumb stuff out of the way as so they can focus on the story and character dev... if not and they keep to bad jokes and randomness it will suck big time.
This guy got it right. SR didn't do too badly with their gags and jokes. Too bad though, those gags and jokes were meant for LAST DECADE, so the EPIC portion of Slayers is what's left to be timeless. Nothing else. You ever wonder why no one takes MARIO games seriously? Because it's NOT THE ONLY THING ON THE BLOCK TO PLAY ANYMORE. SR's appeal that is timeless is the novel's epicness, the grandure that transcends MOST D&D anime and has a decent amount of lore in it with characters that can work a good storyline given the chance.

Like put it this way, if the current power rangers season (or if there even is one LOL i dunno) made cameos and references to the past, it'd be okay right? Even cool right? Yes. Now what if they made cameos, references, and jokes and gags of the past for over 60% of the show? Uhhhh NOOO? Same with any series. The past is the past. Fresh material is needed.
Old 2008-10-10, 07:39   Link #935
ZippyDSM

Quote:
Again, anime are suppose to EVOLVE. If Hajime no Ippo still has to use the same shitty old school drawing techniques (THAT SADLY ARE BETTER THAN ANYTHING SR HAS) to show how moves work, then there's going to be a lot of Q Qing.

First season of Slayers is godly because it was the FIRST SEASON. And guess what? I don't remember much about the random draggy part of slayers, I know how it FELT, but the main stuff that I remember was much more epic than SR. The whole feeling of WOAAHHH is not in SR.

Here's a real analogy. Slayers to Slayers Try had the feel of a Zelda game. Woaaahhh it's time to fight Ganondwarf. Woaahhh it's time to save Hyrule. TREES ARE BURNIN.

Slayers Revolution? HEY MARIO GO SAVE THE PRINCESS. JUMP MARIO JUMP. GOGO DUKE IT OUT WITH BOWSER.

Sure, are both titles for kids? Yep. Does one have a much more EPIC atmosphere while the other has a "QUE MARIO THEMESONG" feel to it? YEP.

This guy got it right. SR didn't do too badly with their gags and jokes. Too bad though, those gags and jokes were meant for LAST DECADE, so the EPIC portion of Slayers is what's left to be timeless. Nothing else. You ever wonder why no one takes MARIO games seriously? Because it's NOT THE ONLY THING ON THE BLOCK TO PLAY ANYMORE. SR's appeal that is timeless is the novel's epicness, the grandure that transcends MOST D&D anime and has a decent amount of lore in it with characters that can work a good storyline given the chance.

Like put it this way, if the current power rangers season (or if there even is one LOL i dunno) made cameos and references to the past, it'd be okay right? Even cool right? Yes. Now what if they made cameos, references, and jokes and gags of the past for over 60% of the show? Uhhhh NOOO? Same with any series. The past is the past. Fresh material is needed.
Evolve? Why can't it just be good without dragging on the ground using the same stuff the last seasons did? Oh wait it can if you know what you are in for.

Even so I found some bits here and there of S1-3 to be annoying Rev has a bit more annoying spots mainly it feels like its paced all wrong there's not enough seriousness to balance the gags and the gags are reaching its fine to have 1-3 gags now and then but lining up 3 sets there of and try to make a gag out of everything...

It might be bad by today standards but almost sadly it is what it is a gag based fantasy comedy randomness is almost to be ecspected.
Old 2008-10-10, 10:20   Link #936
MooMooFarm

Quote:
Evolve? Why can't it just be good without dragging on the ground using the same stuff the last seasons did? Oh wait it can if you know what you are in for.

Even so I found some bits here and there of S1-3 to be annoying Rev has a bit more annoying spots mainly it feels like its paced all wrong there's not enough seriousness to balance the gags and the gags are reaching its fine to have 1-3 gags now and then but lining up 3 sets there of and try to make a gag out of everything...

It might be bad by today standards but almost sadly it is what it is a gag based fantasy comedy randomness is almost to be ecspected.
Ummm, yeah that's like saying it CAN be good as long as your standards are still TEN YEARS AGO standards. Do companies that fund SR think like that? I'm pretty sure they did this for the sake of money, not for fun.

The fact that it was paced wrong already means the effort level is horrible. You pretty much just agreed with what I said.

Yeah, expected. Ummm so say I generally expect generic companies or in fact, any companies including the one doing Halo Wars to spawn a shitty RTS that doesn't matter to me because they are all the same damn thing, does that mean my standards are going to hold the same for Starcraft 2? No, because Starcraft 1 was BEYOND the expected standards. It BROKE the standards, and MADE new standards. Such a product's sequel should never be using it's OWN STANDARD a decade from now.

That is how Slayers is in the anime world. Sure it's definitely not as successful as just an anime, but as for a FANTASY anime, or maybe a Fantasy Parody anime, it was far and wide WAYYYYY better than anything in it's time. Shit was either too damn serious, or was too damn stupid. Slayers was very well done in balancing the two.

Then again though, it seems Japanese products like Mario, or it's other proven nintendo products along with stuff like Square Enix just continue the Slayers Revolution trend of just doing enough to get by. But hey, even these companies do enough that the new games are better than the old ones. Hopefully season 2 will allow SR to place itself into the same league as the trilogy (though I never thought Try was as good as the first two)

Seriously, from a artisan point of view, if you want to make an impact, a long term investment, doing it the Blizzard way is the way to go. Quality first and foremost. Doesn't have to be perfect (cause god knows how LOL WoW is), but it has to be polished enough. Perfect examples are Code Geass and 00. And look at R2, they made it to #1 on AniDB. That's huge, and not something that's just passed around like hot potato.
Old 2008-10-10, 13:08   Link #937
reverse

Zelgadis in try

Old 2008-10-13, 20:32   Link #938
gloryin09

Somewhat related, now that Revolution is over...

Do you love Slayers?

Do you want to help make English subs for season five a reality?

The fifth season, tentatively titled Slayers GLORY is scheduled
to begin in the first quarter of 2009.

We need more:
translators
• quality-checkers
• typesetters
• encoders
• subbers

This is essentially a labor of love, and we each work around our respective schedules.

The more people that we have helping us, the
less work involved for everyone
- and the better quality subs we'll be able to put out!

The incentive? More Slayers for everyone, of course. ;D

Slayers fans don't go down without a fight, let's make this happen!

Interested parties may contact Mina Inerts at revolutionin09ATgmail.com.

NOTE: please feel free to delete this if applicable.
Old 2008-10-14, 06:47   Link #939
Slice of Life
eyewitness

In defense of SR and to praise the Slayers franchise in general

Quote:
I think you were a decade younger and a decade less experienced and maybe a decade less cynical when you saw the original Slayers and just project your feelings from back than to today. Consequently, your posts sound extremely emotional. And you expect something ("breaking of standards, setting standards") a story cannot deliver.

Now what actually did evolve over the last 10-15 year and which standards can we expect an anime to have or even to break?

First we have to distinguish between evolution and going from fad to fad. The Slayers characters look about as 90s as can be. If that's not your cup of tea, OK. But I prefer staying true to the original over a complete revamp that leaves us with a modernized bishoujo Lina that looks as if she has just escaped from Clannad. (Dirty Pair -> Dirty Pair Flash anyone?) And even if someone disagrees with me, this would hardly be an example of "reaching new standards" in any objective way.

Now, Animation has clearly evolved because it is computer-aided nowadays. At least, it is potentially better nowadays. CG also give you the possibility to make your anime look ugly in a 1000 new ways. But SR did very well in that department compared to many other shows.

Prety much everything else did not evolve over a decade. Like storytelling. This would be a ridiculous claim since stories have been told for millennia. The 90s weren't the middle ages and if an 90s anime sucks in the storytelling department from our POV then only because it already sucked back then. Same goes for characterization, "gags and jokes" and whatever.

Anime has indeed evolved and not only in the animation department. IMO, Slayers is outstanding among the mid 90s shows and SR, while keeping the quality, is only a great current show among other great current shows. But certainly not because humanity's standards are miraculously higher now. It's because anime had to crawl out of that bottomless pit defined by the late 80s, early 90s trash OVAs that sucked by any standards. Certainly by my own, now and then.

So bottom line, Slayers was a great lighthearted action comedy back then and Slayers Revolutions is now. I didn't expect any BREAKING OF STANDARDS in all caps. I'd rather question my own standards instead.

And if anything was "milking the cow" then the generally poor Slayers movies and OVAs.
Old 2008-10-14, 07:12   Link #940
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I won't discuss anime standards, but concerning the "epic feel"... I have to side with MooMooFarm: it's gone. Even the characters feel it. In S1, they were all "OMGWTFBBQ, we're doomed! And the world with us! But we'll still fight." In SR, it was more "Eh, whatever. We've done it before."
Closed Thread

Tags
action, adventure, comedy, fantasy