Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-12-21, 17:41   Link #1
bruno321
Whirling Knife

Send a message via MSN to bruno321
95-01 "retro feel" anime

Hi there. I'm looking for some anime from around this time: 1995-2001. What kind of anime? Well, it's kind of difficult to describe it, but it exudes a different vibe from other more modern anime, even if the general idea is similar.

The first example to come to mind is Great Teacher Onizuka. It's from 99-00 but it feels some years older. The development of the series, the character design and interaction, the humor... It's just different.

As is KareKano (His and Her Circumstances). Just perfect and charming, and not cheesy at all. I'm currently watching To Heart, by the way.

And of course, Neon Genesis Evangelion, the anime that revolutionized everything.

Sakigake!! Cromartie High School is a bit more modern but also kind of retro. By now you hopely get the idea of what I'm looking for, which transcends specific genres.

I've already considered watching Escaflowne, by the way. Any other recommendations?

Thank you.
Old 2007-12-21, 17:51   Link #2
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Video Girl Ai
Junni Kokki (Twelve Kingdoms)
Jungle wa Itsumo Hale noche Guu
Planetes

That's an eclectic bunch. Maybe you'll find what you're looking for?
Old 2007-12-21, 18:32   Link #3
bruno321
Whirling Knife

I've seen Hare and Guu. It was nice I forgot to include it on the list.

Planetes and Juuni Kokki I had considered watching some time ago, but they didn't remind me of this "feel" we're talking about. I'll recheck them out, as well as Video Girl Ai which I never considered. Thanks.
Old 2007-12-21, 18:33   Link #4
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Two anime I can think off the top of my head are Cardcaptor Sakura and Love Hina.
Old 2007-12-21, 18:38   Link #5
bruno321
Whirling Knife

Oh, I enjoyed Love Hina very much. (I don't know if I would have had I seen it for the first time nowadays). As for CCS... it just doesn't attract me at all. At all
Old 2007-12-21, 18:55   Link #6
Ichihara Asako
Horoist

Hyper Police is my favourite series from the 90s, I think. Not very high profile like Eva, Bebop etc, but still a damn fine story.
Old 2007-12-21, 20:03   Link #7
jedinat

Not exactly sure what you're looking for, but perhaps...
Trigun
Noir
...a couple favs from that time period.

If you go back a bit further pretty much everything should have that "retro" feel, lol.
Ranma 1/2, Irresponsible Captain Tylor, w/e...
Old 2007-12-21, 20:22   Link #8
CeDeR
Inactive Member

Send a message via ICQ to CeDeR Send a message via AIM to CeDeR Send a message via Yahoo to CeDeR
retro mmmmm... Robotech
Old 2007-12-21, 21:21   Link #9
bruno321
Whirling Knife

Maybe I should be a bit more specific. I've tried to summarize through these examples some "feel" which I felt only through some old series: that's why it is a retro feel. It doesn't mean that every old series will comply, or that I'm looking for general "retroness". It's just a specific feeling that I've got through some series.
Old 2007-12-21, 21:23   Link #10
DanielSong39

Last Exile. Has that retro "feel" throughout.
Old 2007-12-21, 21:26   Link #11
Robotnik
Not a member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruno321 View Post
Maybe I should be a bit more specific. I've tried to summarize through these examples some "feel" which I felt only through some old series: that's why it is a retro feel. It doesn't mean that every old series will comply, or that I'm looking for general "retroness". It's just a specific feeling that I've got through some series.
I'd say GTO has that "feel" because it *is* from the mid-late 1990's - that's when the manga started.

Quote:
The first example to come to mind is Great Teacher Onizuka. It's from 99-00 but it feels some years older. The development of the series, the character design and interaction, the humor... It's just different.
So maybe you're looking more for a good adaptation of a long-running manga?

Last edited by Robotnik; 2007-12-21 at 21:53.
Old 2007-12-22, 13:11   Link #12
deltakano
1つの愛

Fushigi Yuugi
Saiunkoku Monogatari
Visions of Escaflowne
Old 2007-12-22, 20:17   Link #13
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

I second Irresponsible Captain Tylor, great show and has many fun characters to watch.
And can't believe that nobody mentioned GaoGaiGar.
GaoGaiGar- My favorite anime, came out in 97 and the show feels like retro super robot show. It got every thing from the old super robot show, flying punch,
kick ass combination sequence
Spoiler for saving space:

and very old school super robot anime opening.
Spoiler for saving space:

Also Evangelion did not revolutionize anything, mainly it was inspired by Tomino's Ideon and Anno's other creation Gunbuster.
Old 2007-12-23, 03:37   Link #14
Prince of Chronics
One Piece fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielSong39 View Post
Last Exile. Has that retro "feel" throughout.
I totally agree with this post... Last Exile will hit the spot imo.
Old 2007-12-23, 04:19   Link #15
Grimkill7
Inattentive Dreamer

Tekkaman Blade

Yu Yu Hakusho

Mermaid Forest This one actually came out in '03, but it has the same look and feel as a retro 90s anime.
Old 2007-12-23, 12:14   Link #16
Diodati
The very united ACROSS

Slayers
El Hazard
Martian Successor Nadesico
Initial D (the earlier seasons)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno321
Maybe you should check out Shonan Junai Gumi OVA -- the Onizuka stories which came before GTO.
Old 2007-12-23, 12:35   Link #17
Deus ex Digital Boy
21st Century Digital Boy

Please ignore all other suggestions and watch Revolutionary Girl Utena. It's from 97, it's got that old school feel to it, not to mention it's one of the best damn anime to ever be created. May take a while to do all 39 episodes (took me a week) but you could probably watch it casually over a period of time, or go one season at a time or something. Either way, everyone should watch this show, and if your looking for retro it's right up your alley.
Old 2007-12-23, 23:27   Link #18
wao
OK.

Do you mean retro in the way that it feels like old-school anime? I don't know if it's what you're looking for but Turn-A Gundam, which was from 1999 I think, made me feel that way. It definitely feels older than its time IMO... Maybe because it's a more Tomino-like Gundam and some of the character interactions just don't feel like "newer" stuff?

Also it's unlicensed.
Old 2007-12-24, 04:52   Link #19
bruno321
Whirling Knife

Quote:
retro in the way that it feels like old-school anime?
No. That's what I was trying to explain through message #9. It's a "je ne sais quoi", a little something that SOME older anime like the ones I've quoted had, and which was lost around the turn of the century.
Old 2007-12-24, 10:37   Link #20
wao
OK.

Quote:
No. That's what I was trying to explain through message #9. It's a "je ne sais quoi", a little something that SOME older anime like the ones I've quoted had, and which was lost around the turn of the century.
Hm... Well, I guess I'd say Turn-A Gundam may still fit the bill. Maybe "old-school" is the wrong word to use as certainly its designs are quite a change from stuff from the 80s and stuff. However, at the same time I think the way it's drawn and generally presented, especially the character interactions (and occasionally the way they say their lines but I think that has more to do with recording) is something I haven't really seen post-2000. Unless you're counting other Tomino works like Wings of Rean but I think that'd be stretching it.

I think Noir had a bit of it too (stuff created by the same team and other various similar stories just feel slightly different) - maybe what you're looking for is the switch from cel to digital, which not only resulted in differences in visuals but the fading-out of certain techniques in directing? I'm not saying what you're looking for is in every cel anime though, just that it got lost afterwards due to the switch to digital. I might be completely off the mark again though. Then again, you liked Cromartie High so...

How about Sugoiyo! Masaru-san Sexy Commando Gaiden?