AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-07-13, 05:08   Link #81
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsuganae View Post
But consider the possibilities! An entire anime-original continuity could be spun. Imagine the end-of-the-world scenarios and other crises that can happen in:

The Dating of Haruhi Suzumiya
The Teen Pregnancy of Haruhi Suzumiya
The Marriage of Haruhi Suzumiya
The Divorce of Haruhi Suzumiya
The Single Motherhood of Haruhi Suzumiya
The Midlife Crisis of Haruhi Suzumiya
The Crimes of Haruhi Suzumiya
The Incarceration of Haruhi Suzumiya
Well... at least I wouldn't be the only one wanting to kill Kyon if this happens.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Old 2009-07-13, 06:16   Link #82
Jintor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakariCritic View Post
Okay, I've been lurking here for a while, but you've made me feel compelled to post. Congratulations. Personally, I find it frustrating that so many fans are confused by the homework thing. I've been correcting people on 4chan for weeks about it. It's simple.

The reason why Kyon's study group breaks the timeloop is simple: It shifts Haruhi's mindset from vacation mode to the schoolyear.

Because Haruhi already did her homework, she spends her August 31st feeling unfullfilled over her summer break, and desires more. Kyon's study group has her spend her 31st with her friends in a last-minute cram party she's never taken part of before, and it also reminds her that she has more learning to do during the schoolyear.

Kyon simply doing his homework won't break the loop. He needs to have Haruhi there to break her out of the summer vacation mindset, and shift her paradigm back into school-mode.

/rant.
I heard it floating around somewhere, but I prefered the other speculation - that Haruhi wants to feel needed by Kyon.

It's more... well, you know.

(The Mortality of Haruhi Suzumiya sounds fascinating, actually.)
Old 2009-07-13, 07:05   Link #83
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

I've always thought that Haruhi just wants to visit Kyon's house or do something that Kyon actually wants. Kyon doesn't seem to be all that enthusiastic for any of the events Haruhi has set-up.

So basically she just wants to spend time with Kyon on something that Kyon actually wants to do. Having a chance to visit his house and helping him do something makes her satisfied for the summer.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2009-07-13, 07:44   Link #84
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Kyon never seems enthusiastic about anything, though.

*e* Well, with the exception of events involving Mikuru. He seems a little too happy in those cases.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
Old 2009-07-13, 13:07   Link #85
AcroDave
Go Chrome or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
Kyon never seems enthusiastic about anything, though.
Yeah, it makes me to see that through all the loops of endless eight, Kyon looks the happiest when he's playing videogames with his little sister.
Old 2009-07-13, 13:43   Link #86
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcroDave View Post
Yeah, it makes me to see that through all the loops of endless eight, Kyon looks the happiest when he's playing videogames with his little sister.
Well, Kyon IS a huge siscon.

But I think it's just more that he's happier staying at home and doing nothing than doing anything else.
Old 2009-07-13, 14:03   Link #87
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

He'd be happier if his sister was huge...but then she's be more like Mikuru....

Actually he seemed happiest when the girls are showing off their new clothes. In each version he's very happy about Mikuru's choice. (ranging from "Good, very good" to "Excellent").
Old 2009-07-13, 14:41   Link #88
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

... He's that way about anything Mikuru wears.
Old 2009-07-13, 14:43   Link #89
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
... He's that way about anything Mikuru wears.
He's just rather obsessed with her, as she can't do anything wrong in his mind.

The more paranoid among us would say that Adult Mikuru is taking advantage of this.
Old 2009-07-13, 14:47   Link #90
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

No, the more paranoid among us would say Small Mikuru is taking advantage of it. Adult Mikuru is rather obviously taking advantage of the situation.
Old 2009-07-13, 14:50   Link #91
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
No, the more paranoid among us would say Small Mikuru is taking advantage of it. Adult Mikuru is rather obviously taking advantage of the situation.
Really? I've heard many arguments to the contrary.

I think it's fairly obvious that Small Mikuru is innocent, though. No one can keep up an act that long. Unless they were brainwashed.
Old 2009-07-13, 14:55   Link #92
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

"classified informaton"
Old 2009-07-13, 14:58   Link #93
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
"classified informaton"
Good point. Yeah, I bet she has some kind of Berserker Mode or something.
Old 2009-07-13, 15:18   Link #94
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Really? I've heard many arguments to the contrary.
Adult Mikuru? Didn't Kyon think she was taking advantage of him during Intrigues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Good point. Yeah, I bet she has some kind of Berserker Mode or something.
A berserk Mikuru? That'd be an interesting sight.
Old 2009-07-13, 15:19   Link #95
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

You know, I was watching Mikuru episode 00 again and I noticed something I hadn't before. In the novel Yuki manages to stop all the pellets Mikuru's toy guns shoot at her....I haven't noticed that in the episode she's deflecting them with her wand. I'd thought they had just had it so there was nothing coming out of the guns. I guess having the volume up a little more than I usually have it helped as I could hear the pellets deflecting, then I looked closer and you can see the impacts on the wand.
Old 2009-07-13, 15:22   Link #96
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Adult Mikuru? Didn't Kyon think she was taking advantage of him during Intrigues?
People bring up her behavior in Vol. 4 when I pull up that argument.

Though, we can generally take Kyon's insights about other people as true, unlike his statements about himself.

Quote:
A berserk Mikuru? That'd be an interesting sight.
*cough*VN*cough*
Old 2009-07-13, 15:25   Link #97
Heatth

Send a message via MSN to Heatth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
You know, I was watching Mikuru episode 00 again and I noticed something I hadn't before. In the novel Yuki manages to stop all the pellets Mikuru's toy guns shoot at her....I haven't noticed that in the episode she's deflecting them with her wand. I'd thought they had just had it so there was nothing coming out of the guns. I guess having the volume up a little more than I usually have it helped as I could hear the pellets deflecting, then I looked closer and you can see the impacts on the wand.
Her wand shake lightly and make a weird sound on this scene. It is very sporadic, but it is probably due to Mikuru's awfull aim.
Old 2009-07-13, 16:37   Link #98
l-l-lain
All hail Haruhi-sama!

Location: London, UK (cyberspace location: lailailain@gmail.com)
Quote:
Originally Posted by topboy View Post
Spoiler for Just...:
Hehehe, that might work, but as a loop-breaker it would be in both Haruhi's and Kyon's memories for the rest of the franchise, possibly requiring endless tweaking of dialogue forevermore to, uh, acknowledge!

(Also it would need to be fan-animated - remember I'm defining fan-fixing as clever minimal re-dubbing/subbing of existing footage, though I suppose we could be flexible if there are any animators with time on their hands lurking among the fanbase )

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakariCritic View Post
Okay, I've been lurking here for a while, but you've made me feel compelled to post. Congratulations. Personally, I find it frustrating that so many fans are confused by the homework thing. I've been correcting people on 4chan for weeks about it. It's simple.

The reason why Kyon's study group breaks the timeloop is simple: It shifts Haruhi's mindset from vacation mode to the schoolyear.

Because Haruhi already did her homework, she spends her August 31st feeling unfullfilled over her summer break, and desires more. Kyon's study group has her spend her 31st with her friends in a last-minute cram party she's never taken part of before, and it also reminds her that she has more learning to do during the schoolyear.

Kyon simply doing his homework won't break the loop. He needs to have Haruhi there to break her out of the summer vacation mindset, and shift her paradigm back into school-mode.

/rant.
Hmmm... you might be right... I'm going by the B-T translations, I can't read the originals, and it's not really clear at all (in the B-T) why homework should be so special... Trouble is, wouldn't lots of things switch Haruhi's mindset back to school-mode? Even just finishing her own "summer list", and noticing the calendar creep towards September? Homework just seems a weak point of the novel to me. But if you like it as a loop-breaker - then no fan-fixing required for you!
Old 2009-07-13, 17:32   Link #99
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

When I read the source as I translated that part of the novel (well, the whole of Rampage), I was not really able to point a definite reason as to why homework is so crucial. All of my reasonings fall into subjective view and as such are really from my own bias.

(Actually, I was thinking more than anything else that I was reading a 'hen' of Higurashi to be honest)

I do not like run of the mill fixing since some things that Tanigawa has written are meant to be cryptic and open to interpretation. I think I would enjoy a very well argued discourse that is flanked by chalk full of quotation instead...

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

Old 2009-07-13, 17:53   Link #100
dnab
anime berkeley

About the summer homework.

Normally I'm the advocate for avant garde theories, and I like the one about Haruhi's intent on time looping is motivated by Kyon's unfinished business. She is known to be an astute observer, and this is a harem romantic scifi teen comedy.

However, adding my $.02 to the obvious and previously mentioned, homework copying is a well established "tradition" for the final days of summer, and Haruhi was hell bent on experiencing all summer traditions. It's inferred that her personality precluded any real friends before, at any school stage, and SOS being the first time she ever got any peer fun. [Just to indicate how old I am.] In Urusei Yatsura there's this part of Mendo about to experience instant ramen for the first time in his life, and the whole hoopla surrounding that. This homework thing for Haruhi is kind of like that.
Closed Thread