AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-09-21, 20:17   Link #101
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Going to watch the show second time, maybe this time I will actually understand it better or I hope that I do. I never understand the ending properly, this time I am going to actually think while watching, instead of just watching and hoping for an explanation in the show.
Old 2007-09-22, 20:55   Link #102
JCF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mueti View Post
The only thing that is painful to watch in NGE is Shinji's whining throughout all of the 26 episodes.
I found it more painful to watch Asuka's insecure bitching, Misato's inability to face up to her past, Kaji's style-but-no-substance approach and Rei's impression of a mute.
JCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-22, 21:02   Link #103
Echoes

And here I was thinking the deep characters were what made Evangelion great.
Old 2007-09-25, 19:39   Link #104
LucidLucifer
LucidLucifer

Send a message via MSN to LucidLucifer
some of the characters werent all that deep, personally i liked all of the mix, but i have a problem with the characters on their own
LucidLucifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-03, 18:39   Link #105
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Just finished re-watching this series and whoa. I first watched it many years ago and I picked up on so much more, obviously. But the stuff I picked up on is all depressing, lol. And I have to say, End of Evangelion movie was a lot more f*cked up than the TV series. Shinji took a really big turn for the worst after his sudden boyfriend died, lol.

And I have a stupid question - where does "Ayanami" comes from in Rei's name?
Old 2010-08-04, 04:50   Link #106
drobertbaker
Major Lurker

Location: <clap> <clap> <clap> <clap> Deep in the Heart of Texas
Ayanami is the name of a class of Japanese destroyer. It fact all the family names in Evangelion are navy ships or naval items (Ikari = anchor) while the personal names are taken from other anime. e.g. Rei from Rei Hino of Sailor Moon.
Old 2010-08-04, 08:37   Link #107
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by drobertbaker View Post
Ayanami is the name of a class of Japanese destroyer. It fact all the family names in Evangelion are navy ships or naval items (Ikari = anchor) while the personal names are taken from other anime. e.g. Rei from Rei Hino of Sailor Moon.
Like so many series, using names of destroyers and such, lol. But in the story, where did it come from? Did Gendo read it in a book and like it or is there a reason he used that?

And I thought the writers chose Rei because it means zero.
Old 2010-08-04, 13:47   Link #108
drobertbaker
Major Lurker

Location: <clap> <clap> <clap> <clap> Deep in the Heart of Texas
-----------------------------------------------
Quote:
In Episode 20 Shinji (dissolved inside Eva-01) hears a conversation between Gendo and Yui before his birth, where Gendo says, "If it's a boy, Shinji. If it's a girl, Rei." While it need not mean that Gendo alone had given Rei her name, it shows that Gendo wanted to give his own daughter that name, and suggests to some extent that he sees Rei as his daughter.
Quote:
Rei in Japanese (レイ) is sometimes a synonym for "zero". Fitting, as Rei is the pilot of Eva-00, or that Rei is "zero" (or "nothing"), a case of identity that troubles her throughout the series. "Rei" spelled with different Kanji is the word for "spirit" (霊). Rei's name thus becomes a double pun, she is the pilot of Eva-00, and the vessel for the spirit of Lilith.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno
Ayanami is from a warship of the former Japanese navy. Rei is just a pun of rei 零 [zero], but actually named after Rei Hino of Sailor Moon [by Naoko Takeuchi]. At the time, this was a bait to invite Iku-chan (Kunihiko Ikuhara) to the staff, but he ran away. Too bad.
Old 2010-08-04, 23:23   Link #109
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

To me, End of Evangelion will always be one of the crowning achievements of what anime can deliver...
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-05, 10:14   Link #110
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

So, Gendo chose that name because of the warship?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
To me, End of Evangelion will always be one of the crowning achievements of what anime can deliver...
How so?
Old 2010-08-05, 20:02   Link #111
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
So, Gendo chose that name because of the warship?

How so?
The ability to play with your emotions in such a manner is pretty much unrivaled by most series, and specifically EoE shows how much it can affect its audience.

A testament to this is how many people end up feeling disturbed by the time it is all over.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-05, 21:37   Link #112
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
The ability to play with your emotions in such a manner is pretty much unrivaled by most series, and specifically EoE shows how much it can affect its audience.

A testament to this is how many people end up feeling disturbed by the time it is all over.
Ah, that is true. It's like 5cm per Second. I had plenty of after shock from that movie. But EoE really took a big dip in just how f*cked up everything and everyone was.

And in regards to your signature, I am an Asuka fan as well.
Old 2010-08-08, 16:26   Link #113
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
I don't really think there's anything out there that can match what EoE did. The explosive end to the plot, plus the conclusion of all major character arcs, and the tearjerking end of many of a character hits hard with a ton of raw emotion. And that's really the whole movie.

Yes, the whole thing is very depressing, but in a sense you've gotta feel happy for them as they all at least tried to ovecome their personal weaknesses and faced their problems head on. In the end, Evangelion seems like a very long therapy session.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-14, 09:37   Link #114
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
I don't really think there's anything out there that can match what EoE did. The explosive end to the plot, plus the conclusion of all major character arcs, and the tearjerking end of many of a character hits hard with a ton of raw emotion. And that's really the whole movie.

Yes, the whole thing is very depressing, but in a sense you've gotta feel happy for them as they all at least tried to ovecome their personal weaknesses and faced their problems head on. In the end, Evangelion seems like a very long therapy session.
Agreed, EoE is masterful in its emotional execution. You feel so many different things for these characters watching the film. The ending rings up so many different emotions for me, EoE truly is a masterpiece.
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-14, 10:03   Link #115
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Yeah, it was really well done. I bet Anno and his team spent forever working on it.
Old 2010-08-14, 21:25   Link #116
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
Yeah, it was really well done. I bet Anno and his team spent forever working on it.
I'm still in awe of how transcendant this movie looks and feels, still so many years after it was first released. The second half of the movie just goes beyond art film and breaks free from mediums and becomes something all together it's own.

At least thats how I feel about this film.
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-15, 02:48   Link #117
Angelic
Feel the Beat

hello

I've seen NGE the anime show, and the end of evangelion (that's it).

I have started to see some OVA movies pop up and am wondering what they are about?

I would like to point out that I watched finished material ONLY, so i'd like basically some advice on to what the OVA's are about, if its a series (continued story from ova to ova) and when do they end so I can hop on and watch them.

thanks!
Angelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-15, 10:57   Link #118
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoHunter_Toki View Post
I'm still in awe of how transcendant this movie looks and feels, still so many years after it was first released. The second half of the movie just goes beyond art film and breaks free from mediums and becomes something all together it's own.

At least thats how I feel about this film.
Yeah, it was crazy. There were references to every part of the series and all.

Plus, the sexual content never ceased.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelicxx View Post
hello

I've seen NGE the anime show, and the end of evangelion (that's it).

I have started to see some OVA movies pop up and am wondering what they are about?

I would like to point out that I watched finished material ONLY, so i'd like basically some advice on to what the OVA's are about, if its a series (continued story from ova to ova) and when do they end so I can hop on and watch them.

thanks!
I don't like linking to Wikipedia, but it'll do for now: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rebuild_of_Evangelion
Old 2010-08-15, 14:23   Link #119
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakaki View Post
Well you know, PenPen was the one that shot Kaji.

Or at least that's what I say.
That goes right up there with "Bella is a Darkfriend" in the ability to explain everything...

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-17, 01:01   Link #120
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
The only reason why I watched EoE was to see the JSSDF in action.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mecha, psychological