AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

View Poll Results: Umineko - Episode 1 Rating
Perfect 10 42 15.73%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 50 18.73%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 67 25.09%
7 out of 10 : Good 57 21.35%
6 out of 10 : Average 28 10.49%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 10 3.75%
4 out of 10 : Poor 5 1.87%
3 out of 10 : Bad 6 2.25%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 0.75%
Voters: 267. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-07-01, 15:03   Link #41
Teletha

Rushed, but good. I've read the VN, so I wasn't lost but I could see how some people who haven't will be.

Kinzo is hilarious. Eva sounds so evil. The ED actually is better then the OP, which I didn't think possible when I heard the music. So far, so good. I hope they slow things down next week.
Old 2009-07-01, 15:09   Link #42
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

As expected, this episode gave me some mixed feelings. Obviously an adaptation cannot be perfect, but the problem is rather the pace and execution instead of the skipped stuff: they went straight to the point, which wasn't a problem, except maybe the lack of "fake family" effect and the lack of "sinister catfight" between Eva and Natsuhi before the siblings attack Krauss.

At least, the whole 1 VS 3 was much less butchered than in the manga, keeping its most important details intact, though it still lacked the setup of that "evasive" atmosphere both parties had (why did they overdramatized Eva and Natsuhi with that "blur" effect anyway?).
I would however question the idea of using a ridiculous "horror" SFX when Eva, Hideyoshi and Rudolf are giving their conditions one by one.

The scene between Maria and Rosa was probably the only "pretty well" adapted and animated portion.

Kinzo's scene was... well geared on madness, though still lost his charisma I believe. But honestly, did they really had to focus that much on the mouth animation? It didn't fit the voice.

The designs were a bit inconsistent to be honest: proportions were a bit off, especially regarding Eva and Natsuhi when both were yelling to each other (not compared to the game, but within the anime design to be precise). Look at Natsuhi's proportions around 10:28: it is borderline scary.
Details of the background in the mansion were a bit underwhelming, but it was obviously better with the rose garden in general.

As you can see, I was rather unimpressed by this episode. To be fairly honest, it almost looked like it was 2 episodes worth and that the animators created a fresh episode like a "recap one": the transitions are bad and it was rather uninspiring.
The BGM are fine. We have 2 remix of original BGM and the original ones are fine, a far cry from the underwhelming ones from Higurashi.

It is a "fine" setup episode, earning a 6 but seriously, I hope they will improve the execution and transitions.

EDIT: Here is the blog article with pictures, summary and comments/opinions.
Umineko no Naku Koro ni, Episode 1-1

Last edited by Klashikari; 2009-07-02 at 10:13. Reason: added the blog article link
Old 2009-07-01, 15:16   Link #43
Freelii
( ̄▽ ̄)ノ

Oh HELL yes! Stupefaction made it in!!!
Old 2009-07-01, 15:20   Link #44
Sterling01
霊夢→デレ

They made the "poor" rose look too healthy
Old 2009-07-01, 15:35   Link #45
milkypink
♥~☆~♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
As you can see, I was rather unimpressed by this episode. To be fairly honest, it almost looked like it was 2 episodes worth and that the animators created a fresh episode like a "recap one": the transitions are bad and it was rather uninspiring
When I read this part of your post I thought "yes! this is exactly how it felt"... almost like a "last week, on Umineko..." type of episode XD Everything happened so fast!

Hopefully the pace will slow down just a little next ep? Otherwise there will be no time for suspense....
Old 2009-07-01, 15:41   Link #46
Freelii
( ̄▽ ̄)ノ

9/10, my only issue was that character development was largely rushed a bit more than it should have been. It didn't feel like it was badly produced though, they just wanted to get right into the mystery, similar to how Higurashi did it. That method worked for Higurashi though since you only truely met 3 characters in the 1st episode... as opposed to 18. As Klashikari mentioned, it definately felt like 2 episodes worth.

All in all, this episode was well within expectations and I don't see a solid reason yet to doubt how the rest of the show will pan out. Alas, another 7 days to wait for another ~23 minutes
Old 2009-07-01, 15:42   Link #47
Squirrellord

Send a message via MSN to Squirrellord
I thought it was alright. Nothing spectacular yet, and as everyone said, rather rushed. However, I think that, as it goes on, it'll get better. It's hard getting used to a new cast of characters, and even harder when it's such a big cast, so they kinda had to force all these people on us.

Spoiler for Pro/Con:
Old 2009-07-01, 16:01   Link #48
Tian

Send a message via MSN to Tian
I thought it was pretty good for the first episode. Maria's voice was rather annoying though. And Battler's eyes were a bit too big.
Old 2009-07-01, 16:04   Link #49
Freelii
( ̄▽ ̄)ノ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tian View Post
Maria's voice was rather annoying though.
I'm almost thankful for the beatdown , though I do think it captured the annoyance I was feeling whilst reading that part in the VN
Old 2009-07-01, 16:11   Link #50
ClockWorkAngel
Aspiring Aspirer

Send a message via MSN to ClockWorkAngel
I'm really broken on this really...

Spoiler for My View:

Credit To Risa-chan!
Old 2009-07-01, 16:13   Link #51
Kitsu
The unlucky one

well now I'm gonna post my reason for the perfect....

I was just overhelmed by the joy of seeing Umineko animated. If it weren't for Umineko this would have got a very good or good
Old 2009-07-01, 16:20   Link #52
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Well ... overall you can say i am largely disappointed with the episode. I don't think there is a single aspect i could praise the series about as of yet, and that should say something.

Wait, actually there is one thing i appreciated: the OP song. That is some rather epic music indeed, and a very much appreciated treat to my ears. The OP sequence is another matter though, as it has been a while since i was so disappointed with OP as a whole. If the music is usually tailored to support the image sequence (or vice versa, as it might be), the two felt really disjointed here. The image sequence doesn't match the tempo nor mood of the song, and frankly looks like something i would have expected in a promo material, not the actual OP of the series. The music dominates the scenes here, it felt like quite the mismatch, much as i love the song.

the animation is ... well, it is obvious they are working on a budget that is tight, and it hurts the atmosphere on occasions - lots of motionless shots or shots with camera focus on character parts that have no movement (like Shanon's breasts -__-;; ). Higurashi first season had some pretty abysmal budget as well, but i don't recall it being so "in your face" most of the time (Some notorious scenes aside). I also find many of the scenes quite overly exaggerated (Eva / Natsuhi motion blur, Kinzo in general), and it doesn't really help the anime had nonexistent buildup for everything that happened, so i must admit it almost felt hilarious (in a bad way) to me, much as i hate to admit it.

I suppose pacing is the real deal that hurts the overall presentation here - they are moving fast. So fast the episode felt like a summary of the core plot points up until a certain event. Unfortunately this has left character depth as simply not present, and the specific relationships in the group and between pairs - nonexistent. They lacked the time to establish proper mood or buildup, thus the anime overall feels quite superficial and jerky, as the plot events jump each through another, and the characters don't really have much depth nor attachment at this point. I have read the visual novels, thus i can easily fill said gap of lacking information with details already known to me, but i can easily imagine anime only watchers left somewhat confused, and wondering why they should care about the events on screen. I mean ... Rosa/Maria/ the rose scene seemed like almost forced hysterics, and while the scene was indeed among the few decently done ones, from anime only perspective i would imagine it coming across as quite forced, because both of the abrupt manner we arrived there, and both the non-established character depth.

Color me unimpressed, because this was a rather underwhelming experience. I hope things settle down once they reach the more "meat of the story" parts and the pacing becomes less frantic, because this really felt like a rush job, and depth and immersion paid the price for it. I remain enthusiastic as a whole towards the adaption, but that is no thanks to the anime's merits on its own. Suffice to say, if i wouldn't know already what to expect and priorly established appreciation for the title, i am not sure i would be willing to watch more of it, though i suppose newcomers will be the best judges of that. Looking towards what they do with the second episode, and hoping for some settling down in regards to the pacing.
Old 2009-07-01, 16:22   Link #53
Wafflemania
It's a Devil's Proof!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tian View Post
I thought it was pretty good for the first episode. Maria's voice was rather annoying though.
yeah...when i heard her
Spoiler for rose garden:

It was super-rushed and im afraid that watchers un-familer with umineko would have a bit of a struggle understanding everything...

But, since it is umineko, i loved it! ^w^

Hearing bgm fromt he viual novel made me happy too...i hope stuff like rahu_goldenslaughterer makes it in
Old 2009-07-01, 16:23   Link #54
Celestial Kitsune
Myobu

Episode 1 Screenshots
Old 2009-07-01, 16:27   Link #55
Risa chan
Watcher

that was a good one. The opening is not better than the game one, but the music is breath-taking as exepted from Akiko.
About the episode:
Graphism :
Well that's not that bad , some moments are really awful like the pic-nic on the beach. But that's okay .

Story:
Well it's short indeed , but oh well , i guess they'll have to change the story a bit to give to the viewers some infos they passed.

Seiyuus: Well , i'm proud. I feared Daisuke ono , i have to admit it , but oh well i have to say that he's the best for me. George's voice really.. surprised me , i wasn't exepting this sort of voice for him. Maria really annoyed me in that episode, but that was the purpose i guess.

Spoiler for grr:

Oh yeah , takano is always so devil when she talks.

ending: .. I miss An.Nina ,_,

Last edited by Klashikari; 2009-07-01 at 16:46. Reason: spoiler removed.
Old 2009-07-01, 16:37   Link #56
bigemperor

Is funny because everyone said that 5 episodes were perfect for the first game and when i say that 5 episodes were too little everyone say that i’m wrong XD like you see the episode was TOO RUSHED they Left out a lot of charactert develelopment and skip a lot of scenes although i like the episode thanks to the music animation seiyus and the bgm from the game (THE BGM WITCH IN GOLD FROM ZTS IS BEATIFUL ) and in comparison to higurashi the adaptation was 10 times better.

Let’s hope they improve in the second episode.
Old 2009-07-01, 16:39   Link #57
Red Lupine
Bulzome High Priest

Here's the OP and ED combined in one video
would've posted them separately but no one has uploaded the ED by itself

Old 2009-07-01, 16:39   Link #58
ThoHell

Kana is EVERYWHERE!!!! Wait, I mean Inoue Marina. What an abusive mother that woman is and what a bunch of good for nothing for just walking away from that. Be it family matter or not, something that intense shouldn't be walked away from.
Old 2009-07-01, 16:48   Link #59
Akuryou
*cackle* *cackle*

Send a message via MSN to Akuryou
I'm giving the first episode an 8. Certainly quite a biased rating, but still.

First of all, this was a rushed episode. Like many members have said before, I can see how people who haven't read the novel may get lost with so much happening. Still, what had to be done was done, so I can't really complain. I'm very satisfied with almost all seiyuus and the animation was decent, even if it had some flaws here and there.

If I had to really complain about something besides the rushness, it would be that Kinzo's door looks too simple. lol And I'm still not used to Koshimizu Ami voicing Rosa, but I can learn to like her voice. But of course, since all the 'introduction stuff' was rushed, it can only mean they'll be really cautious about the stuff that happens in the next episodes, which I'll be very satisfied if they do.

Good job overall on the first episode, Studio DEEN.

Oh! And the best news ever is that they mention not only dai in the credits, but -45, Silver Forest, sunny/cap/xaki and zts! Game players know how awesome this piece of news is!
Old 2009-07-01, 16:49   Link #60
Teapot

Send a message via MSN to Teapot
I just noticed they forgot to introduce Dr.Nanjo
Closed Thread