AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Penguin Drum

Notices

View Poll Results: Penguin Drum - Episode 24 (END) Rating
Perfect 10 36 40.91%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 25 28.41%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 13 14.77%
7 out of 10 : Good 4 4.55%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 3.41%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 3 3.41%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 1.14%
1 out of 10 : Painful 3 3.41%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-12-22, 23:17   Link #21
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
I think I get the gist of it.

But I don't really like it.

The ending is implying there is no room in the world for man, only woman.

That just seems off.

If Shouma had returned the apple to Kanba, and thus Kanba and Himari were united (probably in death) and Ringo and Shouma were united (by Shouma sharing the price with her or something), then the ending would have felt whole.

This way it feels like man is forever sundered from woman.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2011-12-22, 23:36   Link #22
Yuutsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post

That just seems off.

Your comment is very confusing. 0.o

Even more confusing than the ending which I thought was very confusing.
Old 2011-12-22, 23:57   Link #23
YayPepsi

Subs are out.

Spoiler:
Old 2011-12-23, 00:48   Link #24
blue_sora

So the real pairing in this series is KanbaxShouma!

Lol, joking aside, it seems sharing the apple of fate means becoming the family of each other, not a lover as it shows in the Takakura family. Actually the ending really confused me especially those transfer of fate. Who saved who actually? I thought Shouma sacrificed himself for Kanba, but Kanba died too, then Ringo transfer the fate to save Himari, right? I'm really bad at interpreting those symbolism things....
Old 2011-12-23, 00:59   Link #25
Lota

Uwaaaa... And there goes the ending. I think it was perfect. Bittersweet, but I liked the way everything turned out. I don't cry all that much, but my eyes were tearing up near the ending, and after Himari saw the bear with the note, I brought out the waterworks... So sad... I'm happy for them though. I'm glad that Himari and Ringo stayed friends, that Kanba and Shouma became real brothers, glad for Tabuki and Yuri, and for Masako... But I think that the dream and the bear with the note will haunt them forever.

And I can't help but wonder... do Yuri and Tabuki remember anything? It would be weird if they didn't and awkward if they did... Imagine them running into one of the those four O.O

The music was very fitting.

Anyway, I'm really happy. I guess I'll rewach this series once again after a while. It has become one of my all time favourites
Old 2011-12-23, 01:18   Link #26
ninja_pintu

There were just so many things I loved in this episode. I just loved the scene in which Kanba gives half his apple to Shouma. Just shows how he cares about everyone in his family. And that ending T_T. It wasn't happy but it was better than anything I expected from the way last few episodes were going. Bittersweet ending really suits this anime.

And I am sure RingoXShouma fans were happy with this episode

Oh and that ending scene with Shouma and Kanba walking and Kanba saying death is just the beginning was just beautiful. And here whole series he believed death was the end of everything
Old 2011-12-23, 01:20   Link #27
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lota View Post
Kanba and Shouma became real brothers
They didn't become real brothers IMO. Most likely they "became" Giovanni and Campanella. They're not alive; they're traveling the Milky Way, so to speak. That's my interpretation at least.

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2011-12-23 at 01:31.
Old 2011-12-23, 01:40   Link #28
ndqanh_vn

Just finished the ending. Definitely got the Utena vibe from it. But it's really a bittersweet ending. It could be better, but I don't know how.

I have never realized how elegant and poetic this series is.
Old 2011-12-23, 02:31   Link #29
felekin

I don't think they could of ended it any better c:
Old 2011-12-23, 02:33   Link #30
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
I'm just happy that Ringo
Spoiler for ep24:

And that Shouma
Spoiler for ep24:

All in all, it was a very trollastic ending, but I liked it.
Did he at least pollenate her beforehand?
Old 2011-12-23, 02:36   Link #31
Kazu-kun

Oh, I just realized the one who put the note inside Himari's bear was #3, who is walking out of the room while Himari enters.

Interesting!
Old 2011-12-23, 02:45   Link #32
ndqanh_vn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
Oh, I just realized the one who put the note inside Himari's bear was #3, who is walking out of the room while Himari enters.

Interesting!
Going to miss those Penguin...I want a penguin plush already...
Old 2011-12-23, 03:13   Link #33
Sol Falling

You know who talks about boxes? Sanetoshi talks about boxes.

The Apple is a gift for those "chosen to die for love".

Who gets the Apple? People who have the Scorpion Soul.

So what did Shouma give back to Kanba this episode? His Scorpion Soul.

lol, probably it ran out or something 'cause the PoC sucked too much out of him. So Shouma had to give it back.

If you stay in the box you turn invisible. You don't amount to anything. You also die. That's why Sanetoshi wanted to get out.

But, if you die for love instead, then you get the Apple. And then it's just the beginning, or something like that.

I'mma ship Himari x Ringo, then Himari x Kanba when they somehow get back together again, lol. Forceful delusion happy end, whooo!

Random troll thought at the end of the anime: anyone wanna go count who we saw naked more, Himari or Ringo? :P
Old 2011-12-23, 03:18   Link #34
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
That was a very nice and dramatic final episode. I do like how things went full circle here, as Kanba-shouta and Shouma-shouta had the same conversation here as those two boys had way back in Episode 1.

Part of me would have preferred a happier end, but all-told, this was pretty good. I'll probably have more to say on this tomorrow, when I'm more well-rested.

For now, though, let me just say (somewhat jokingly ) I called it!

Himari's "fated one" was indeed... Ringo!

Himari, by her own words, feels relaxed in Ringo's presence, and Ringo makes sure that Himari is not lonely. With the beautiful but tragic sacrifice of the brothers, there's no male to stand in the way of their inevitable bond.

Yuri end FTW!

Sorry, but I couldn't resist, because it is a bit funny given my wild (and admittedly pretty far off) speculations of three months back.

In complete seriousness, both the Ringo/Shouma and Kanba/Himari pairs had lovely final moments together, and I'm pretty pleased with them.

I will also say that the seiyu work in this show was simply all-around fantastic, and this episode certainly showcased that nicely. I hope that the seiyu for the four main characters, as well as Sanetoshi, all get more roles soon. This anime had excellent emoting from its actors/actresses.

Last edited by Triple_R; 2011-12-23 at 08:14.
Old 2011-12-23, 04:47   Link #35
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

Its ridiculous, I will not argue if you call the ending is shitty n ruining the series... And I'm not understanding anything in this eps, not any shit of it... But wow, I just couldn't hold my tears, I'm feel really sad watching the second half, seriously Ikuhara is just weird guy.
Old 2011-12-23, 05:00   Link #36
BloodyKitty
Raindrop Melancholy

I'm still pretty much speechless from everything I've just watched. I just don't know. Almost everything still doesn't make sense, but I just can't deny the emotional impact. *sobbing*

Eschaton from tvtropes gave a very interesting speculation of this final episode and the series as a whole. I'm still a bit confused about the "apple sharing" parts, but it definitely gave me a much better understanding of the symbolisms of Penguindrum. A very worthy read.
The fact that you hate
The fact that you scream
The fact that you suffer
The fact that you mourn
The fact that you despair
Or the fact that you come to a resolution

Cannot prove that you are right.
~Everybody Has the Right to Make Mistakes~ - Quoted from Kino's Journey Vol. 12
Old 2011-12-23, 05:04   Link #37
Dop
Mmmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
I sorta wish Ikuhara and this whole team would turn around and remake The Rose of Versailles.
I have to agree, and I couldn't imagine any anime director capable of doing a better job!

So, that ending. I grabbed this episode this morning before I set off to work as I couldn't wait, and my head is still fizzing.
Visually it was a stunning episode, completely electrifying and fabulous max!

Spoiler for Seizon Senryaku!:

I think what Ikuhara has created here is a show that people are still going to be talking about years in the future, discussing its symbolism and meaning.
Yes, there may be a few hanging threads, and yes, I do think that perhaps Mario was meant to play a larger role but got sidelined for time constraints, but sometimes it's better when things don't all get explained away in the end, but left to the imagination ("Imagine!") of the viewer, to read into them what they may.

One of the best shows this year, in my honest opinion.
Old 2011-12-23, 05:30   Link #38
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodyKitty View Post
I'm still pretty much speechless from everything I've just watched. I just don't know. Almost everything still doesn't make sense, but I just can't deny the emotional impact. *sobbing*

Eschaton from tvtropes gave a very interesting speculation of this final episode and the series as a whole. I'm still a bit confused about the "apple sharing" parts, but it definitely gave me a much better understanding of the symbolisms of Penguindrum. A very worthy read.
Damn that was good read, especially the box part, that very make sense and giving more meaning and message to the whole series.

Btw Damn... still sobbing a bit here, haha...

Its just amazing how I cried a lot in Kanba/Shoma scene, because one of this show weakness that people often mentioning is they failed to make we give a damn to the charas of this show, and I must agree with that, they could done better job on that. But this last episode still manage to make me sad as hell about Kanba and Shoma sacrifices even with not understanding anything, that just weird... almost like some hypnotize.

I will really treasure this experiences, despite all the flaw of this show.
Old 2011-12-23, 05:41   Link #39
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:

That just seems off.

If Shouma had returned the apple to Kanba, and thus Kanba and Himari were united (probably in death) and Ringo and Shouma were united (by Shouma sharing the price with her or something), then the ending would have felt whole.

But doesn't Momoka end up essentially the same ending? (Though I guess she doesn't like the brothers enough to hang out with them in the afterworld.) And Tabuki got to stay behind with Yuri.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YayPepsi View Post
When Kanba walked past Sanetoshi, Sanetoshi told him "You will disappear without leaving anything behind in this world. You won't even leave behind a speck of dust." But then in the end, we see that he was wrong. Himari wakes up with that shard on her forehead, and it leaves a cut behind. Kanba did leave something behind in the world.
I think that moment finally encapsulates what Sanetoshi's problem is -- he can't let go. The idea that he might disappear without anyone remembering him is more than he can handle. He'd rather murder people than be forgotten. He reminds me of a great moment from the film Jacob's Ladder when Danny Aiello's character says:

Quote:
Eckhart saw Hell too. He said: The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of life, your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you, he said. They're freeing your soul. So, if you're frightened of dying and you're holding on, you'll see devils tearing your life away. But if you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels, freeing you from the earth.
Even though Penguin Drum is coming at things from a Buddhist(?) perspective instead of Christian, I think that pretty well sums up the message of the series.
Old 2011-12-23, 05:55   Link #40
Kirarakim

Quote:

That just seems off.

I don't get that at all. If anything with the connection to Night on the Galactic Railroad, I think Kanba & Shouma got the best end. As for those they left behind living is still hard, but K&S get to explore the milky way together.

And I'm kind of happy the final two ships were Himari/Ringo & Kan/Sho, not what I was expecting but it works. I would have liked more K&S interaction as brothers before this ep though (really after the first two eps they were barely together). But I did love the scene when Kanba shared his apple with Shouma. Even though we don't know why they were in the box that was powerful stuff.

As for H&R their friendship was shown throughout the series so I'm happy they are together. Maybe I'm a little disappointed that Double H didn't have a larger presence in Himari's life at the end (in fact it appears in this reality she's just a fan.)