AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > To Aru Majutsu no Index

Notices

View Poll Results: To Aru Majutsu no Index II - Episode 10 Rating
Perfect 10 25 24.75%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 23 22.77%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 32 31.68%
7 out of 10 : Good 12 11.88%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 2.97%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.99%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.99%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.99%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 2 1.98%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.99%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2010-12-12, 12:19   Link #141
Master Assassin
Portable Dude Mk. II
*Artist

Location: All ghillied up spying on someone ~2,000 yards away using telescope sights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by U<3Anime View Post
Yea man, he was already totally flustered by the sight of a naked loli. XD

It's also rather questionable if she's wearing anything down there, besides her pants.
I'd say she wears a very thin G-string.

It's so unbelievable that not even a trace of underwear can be seen despite the fact that her trousers were never fastened throughout the entire arc! Or was it a magical underwear, that only she can see it!?

--- This line over here is a placeholder. ----
Master Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-12, 12:34   Link #142
tsunade666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul Assassin View Post
I'd say she wears a very thin G-string.
I vouch for a transparent one a see through!

though seriously. Aside from underwear talk for Oriana. what do you think is her................................ size?
Old 2010-12-12, 12:43   Link #143
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
I vouch for a transparent one a see through!

though seriously. Aside from underwear talk for Oriana. what do you think is her................................ size?
I'm sure she makes regular visits to her chiropractor.
Old 2010-12-12, 12:45   Link #144
Hell_ping
一刀繚乱

I believe we do have a fan-made bust chart somewhere... Wait, what am I saying now?
Hell_ping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-12, 12:49   Link #145
RPG_Fanatic
Fallere825

Every number has been voted at least once.
Old 2010-12-12, 13:34   Link #146
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidzero View Post
I'd argue that he does include foreshadowing. This isn't included in the anime, but in the novel during his fight with Misaka in the first novel, she mentions to him that she heard a rumor that her DNA was sampled to make clones, straight reference to 3rd novel.
Oh yes. I noticed this and was impressed by it. But then I have always felt that the "Sisters Arc" was a much better thought out and planned plot. Probably the best out of all of them. It's even better including the aspects added in the Railgun manga. It's kind of frustrating since that one ac could have been half a season on it's own and it would have gone quite well.

Notice also that it has less of a sudden twist in the middle. Most of the twists occur early. Other later twists are smaller and flow better with the plot. In fact, so far I'd say the Sisters arc is the best plotline we've seen so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidzero View Post
As for why there's so much exposition. We're dealing with two very specialized topics of knowledge, science fiction and theological fiction. While they still are fictionalized versions, they're rooted in real life subject matter. It's difficult to make twists which the reader can obviously follow if he wants to make the science fiction actually have science and the theological fiction have somewhat correct references.

If anything it seems like the author wants people to actually take something away after reading the book and not have to delve into other articles to explain things like what is a railgun and how does it work? This is contrasted to Gundam and how there is science fiction to the Minovsky particles but it's not explained in the series.

I agree it would make the story telling a lot more cleaner, but i'm just guessing about the authors intentions.
I don't disagree with exposition, just the way it's usually handled. Two problems arise, one is telling us a lot of things that we really don't need to know. The second, and more common problem, is that the exposition does not mix well with the fight scene.

Let me give you a few examples:

Misaka's explanation of how a Railgun works is an example of good exposition.

She gives just enough detail for the viewer to connect railguns to her electromagnetic power. It is also given in a case of her taunting Touma after catching him on a bridge, and then she demonstrates what a railgun does.

It fits with her personality and feeling of the moment (damaged pride), her relationship at that point with Touma (mysterious rival), and it has a "show me, don't tell me" emphasis at the end.

Compare this with the exposition (provided by Index) about obsidian spearhead as a replica of the lance of Tlahuizcalpantecuhtli. In the light novels a huge amount of time is spent talking about the effects of the true lance of Tlahuizcalpantecuhtli, none of which matters to the plot. In the anime this is cut down to what we actually need to know, and thus the anime is an improvement over the light novel. (Although I kind of wish the anime had kept the dismantling effect instead of the explosions).

Or compare this to the recent arc in this episode. Why does Touma wait before touching people that have been hurt by the magic? The first time, okay, I can see him needing to be told, but why is this done again? It's so that some more exposition can be squeezed in. Most of which we don't really need. We as the viewers don't need yet to understand exactly how shorthand works, or how it interacts with Touma's right hand. That can be done with further reveals in the future.

Then during the fight with Oriana. All the talking throws off the flow of the fight. It has the characters just standing around talking to each other and explaining things- when that is not consistent with their situation. They should be fighting first, talk later at this point. Yes, I know this is a common problem with action shows, for example DBZ, Naruto, and so on. Guess what, I have higher standards.

It just doesn't go well with A Certain Magical Index. (Yes I know all about Touma's filibustering about morality- but at this point Touma is supposed to be serious, and so should give a shorter version of it). And frankly it wasn't needed. All the discussion that was needed between Oriana and Touma?

Oriana takes Tsuchimikado out of the fight. Touma tries to cancel it out with his right hand, and it doesn't work.

Touma: What did you do to him? How can I stop it?

Oriana: Insert innuendo combined with arrogant comment here

Touma attacks Oriana. Oriana forces him back.

Oriana: Give up, you are too weak I am too strong. (The typical villain one liner)

Touma: After what you did to Fukiyose? You're hurting innocent people! I'll never forgive you. (There, short and to the point, there was no need for further discussion of the different viewpoints, we already get it.)

Touma attacks. Oriana is surprised, her attempts to stop him are defeated by Touma's right hand. FALCON PUNCH! Touma runs back over to Tsuchimikado (the idiot, he should be taking Oriana's shorthand magic cards, but that's pretty typical Touma for you). Tsuchimikado still is not recovering. Touma looks up to see Oriana has recovered and grabed the package trying to flee. Touma attacks. Oriana throws the sign at Touma, and leaps to the top of a building using her magic.

Touma: Demands to know how to help Tsuchimikado (This fits with Touma's personality, he always cares about people ahead of the mission).

Oriana as she runs off: Silly boy, it will wear off soon.

Doesn't that flow better? Short lines. Not paragraphs that make you eyes glaze over.

Furthermore the revelation that the "Stab Sword" does not really exist. Like I said it should have been foreshadowed better. But instead of having the Anglican church archbishop info dump the sudden (and convenient) discovery that there is no Stab Sword and that it is actually Peter's Cross, have the characters talking about the lack of "Stab Sword" and wonder: "Have we been deceived? Maybe the Stab Sword is not the plan? Or is the Stab Sword hand off still the plan and Oriana was just a decoy?"

Leave it as mystery. The characters don't suddenly find out what is really happening. Instead they discover that what they thought was going on might not be going on. Now they need to spend some time figuring out what is really happening. That's drama.

That is how you handle a twist like this. It is slowly revealed. Not just a sudden discovery of truth handed to them by an outside source.

If they don't know what is going on, then Touma has to struggle with the question: should he let Index know so they can draw on her knowledge?

You then have an episode where our heroes are trying to figure out what the enemy's true plans are. They discover a few clues- and then they put it together that the plan is to use Peter's Cross.

That is how you reveal something like this. You get what I am saying? You see why I'm saying it's all poor execution and lack of polishing?

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-12, 14:08   Link #147
Himeji
Twintails are wintails!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
That's an interestingly-good idea actually.
Yes, it would stir up a lot of attention and might even grab the attention of the cops (or Anti-Skill), either directly or as a consequence of the large crowd forming to take a look at the semi-nude woman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
Uhhhh, huh?

I'm....actually glad, for one, that he didn't think of such a thing. Because very few people ever do, for obvious reasons. I mean, you don't see cops stripping down perps or criminals in public just to make it harder for them to get away. Has anybody ever done that in anime (barring inadvertent actions, of course), or even in any fictional television show at all?
That's because cops have handcuffs to cuff up criminals, and they can give off warning shots. An increasing number of cops also have tasers.
Touma has none of that, of course, so he has to think of an other way. Since he's a nice guy, beating her up so badly that she's immobilised (as Accelerator did with Awaki) is not something he would do. Undressing her would focus people's attention on her, should she get away, thus hindering her progress without having to hurt her.

Quote:
Dude, I know she's hot and all, but you got to control the harmones man. More importantly, I think Touma is the type of guy who would just nose bleed to death if he ever tries to do something like that.
This is not about hormones or anything. Since Touma is quite a pacifist guy (quite the opposite of violence-loving Accelerator), he would want a way to make her getting away more difficult without having to hurt her, and undressing her would do just that. Since he doesn't have handcuffs or a taser like a cop, he can't use either, and beating her up so much she's immobilised it out of the question for him. So undressing her is the only non-violent option that remains.

Back to the fight, I found out why Touma's punch was that weak. While Orina is a head taller than him, he overestimated the height difference and hit her too high, hitting her cheek instead of her chin:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asuras View Post
Well, if she was trying to kill me, there'd be nothing better than to beat and humiliate her. I mean come on, what sane man doesn't want to see some anyways?
Good point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffry2009 View Post
- I find it hard to believe that Oriana’s NOT wearing any underwear at all, isn't it?
While she doesn't wear any bra, I don't see why she should forego panties?

Quote:
Yea man, he was already totally flustered by the sight of a naked loli. XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flere821 View Post
Just for the sake of argument, no sane man would do that if it might mean it will be the last thing he'll ever do in his life.

No matter just how dang hot the woman trying to kill you might be.

I for one value my life over a minute's ecstasy going wide-eyed at some of the opponent's 'assets' at the price of a quick but very likely painful death.
That might be true with other girls, but certainly not with Orina - Orina wants to show herself off and be looked at. There's not the slightest hint of prudity remaining with her. She's learned to use her looks as a weapon. She intentionally put on that 3 sizes too small shirt, leaving out the bra completely, and unbuttoning her trousers to distract her enemies with the sight of her body, getting an advantage from that. She wouldn't be fazed if someone tried to take off her pants.
Old 2010-12-12, 16:38   Link #148
eiyuu99

Touma is injured, so his sense of balance is somewhat off, thus weakening the impact.
Furthermore, when we consider Oriana's job, she is used to facing off others.
eiyuu99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-12, 18:14   Link #149
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Himeji View Post
That's because cops have handcuffs to cuff up criminals, and they can give off warning shots. An increasing number of cops also have tasers.
Touma has none of that, of course, so he has to think of an other way. Since he's a nice guy, beating her up so badly that she's immobilised (as Accelerator did with Awaki) is not something he would do. Undressing her would focus people's attention on her, should she get away, thus hindering her progress without having to hurt her.
Talking about the cops was just one example of dozens to make, and having handcuffs, tasers, or using warning shots are on an entirely different level from blatantly violating a person in public view.
And then there's the fact that stripping down somebody in public just to keep them from getting away is practicaly a heinous crime in itself. It's just a bit short of a sex crime. It would be one thing if the cops or someone were chasing a suspect or somebody and accidentally pulled off his/her pants when they grapped the suspect as he/she climbed over a fence. But to deliberately do so when the suspect is (even seemingly) incapacitated is a

MASSIVE

no no.

It has nothing to do with the "logic" of drawing atention to the person in question. No, I take that back, it has everything to do with that; you're coming just short of violating this person in public, and frankly I would be disturbed if anybody ever thought of doing that. There's a reason nobody has ever done this or even though of it, either in anime, US TV, or real life. I don't see many Law & Order episodes or anime episodes or anything at all where anybody, even the bad guys, intentionally strip down a person to keep them from getting away.

And yes I do feel strongly about this, because doing such a thing is offensive. It's not a matter of opinion, it's the facts of the law, society, and morality. Plus, it's far from the first escape-prevention method that a person thinks of. There's a reason you never see anybody doing this either in fiction or real life.
Old 2010-12-13, 02:26   Link #150
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

It seems that the episode ( or fight scene's ) director was the same person in charge of the episode with the Tatemiya Seiji fight.

Guess that explains the 'lower than average' quality of the fight and overall lack of tight polish on the scenes in general.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-13, 07:18   Link #151
SoFarGone
H.A.M.

Oriana is only 18-19 years old so nothing close to being a MILF but it sure doesn't look like it lol. Anyway the fight between Oriana and Touma was good. Find Index annoying as usual.
SoFarGone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-13, 18:05   Link #152
outerelf

How very true!

I'm just wondering, because apparently my eyes can't catch it, but where exactly during the episode were there off-amination that everyone else seemed to catch? Pitiful of me I know.
outerelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-13, 18:07   Link #153
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Talk about an overreaction at the end. I thought it'd be obvious to anyone (well minus Touma since he's a bit slow) that it was Mikoto's mother. Sure she's a young looking mother, but not so young that it wasn't still obvious.

We're moving towards a Mikoto vs Index clash. It's getting pretty verbal between them. Though with Mikoto being a tsundere might be at a disadvantage since she somewhat loses her words when embarrassed. Rather amazing that only now does Index start to think about her biting . Well on the positive her punches are a lot easier to handle so I suppose it's an improvement for Touma.
Old 2010-12-13, 18:20   Link #154
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Talk about an overreaction at the end. I thought it'd be obvious to anyone (well minus Touma since he's a bit slow) that it was Mikoto's mother. Sure she's a young looking mother, but not so young that it wasn't still obvious.

We're moving towards a Mikoto vs Index clash. It's getting pretty verbal between them. Though with Mikoto being a tsundere might be at a disadvantage since she somewhat loses her words when embarrassed. Rather amazing that only now does Index start to think about her biting . Well on the positive her punches are a lot easier to handle so I suppose it's an improvement for Touma.
Its defiantly heading that way that Mikoto finally brought up the question "who is she?" to Index, will defiantly be interesting in Anime form

Well, if you expect Touma to be very slow to realize love/like feelings just like the majority of male leads, then it would be kinda obvious for him to not find out sooner then anyone else
Old 2010-12-13, 19:39   Link #155
SuzushinaYuriko
SHSL Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by outerelf View Post
How very true!

I'm just wondering, because apparently my eyes can't catch it, but where exactly during the episode were there off-amination that everyone else seemed to catch? Pitiful of me I know.
It wasn't as bad as last episode. Some ones that stood out were Oriana at around 7:06 where her face looks too big for her head. At 9:34 it might just be me but Touma looked a bit too skinny. The scene where Touma starts counterattacking looked choppy and could use more frames. When Stiyl was talking to them at the table, Touma and Tsuchimikado's faces looked a little odd when Stiyl said "No matter how unfair the request, or heavy the burden, it will be a world where everyone will feel only happiness."

Those were the only ones I could spot.
Old 2010-12-14, 05:46   Link #156
radioIzzy
stuck in a harem genre
*Artist

ah crap I can't believe I did not know that season 2 was out. *sad face*
radioIzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-14, 13:56   Link #157
outerelf

Quote:
Originally Posted by radioIzzy View Post
ah crap I can't believe I did not know that season 2 was out. *sad face*
At least you found out about it before season two ended! Now you can join us in discussions of the next episodes when they come out.
outerelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-18, 14:57   Link #158
gaboratamer

Weakest Falcon punch ever
gaboratamer is offline   Reply With Quote