Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2010-10-15, 23:01   Link #901
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
Yeah, it's not really the argument that attraction is intrinsic that bothers me. What bugs me is that the way the LGBT community handles this issue goes something like this:

Fundie: Homosexuality is a choice and a sin! God didn't make you that way! YO BUTT AIN'T MADE FOR THAT!

Gay Person: But I can't help it; I was born that way!

You see the problem? Not once did the gay person refute the idea that homosexuality is inherently bad. And the LGBT community as a whole has serious issues with this. They assert the fact that attraction is intrinsic, but they ignore the more important issue of whether homosexuality is moral. (Which it's not even a question of morality, of course, but the fundies make it as such).
I can see what you are saying, but it really comes down to the stupid bigots turning things around on gays and manipulating words said.

I think sexuality is based on nature and nurture, but more nature than nurture generally speaking. There are exceptions, of course. But yeah, most gay people are just attracted to the same sex and the LGBT people should defend that, and some people choose homosexual relationships and intercourse to try and experiment or expand their horizons, and the LGBT people should defend that as well. Both should be defended because I feel either are just fine. I just feel that more than half of those who claim to be gay or bi just naturally are attracted to the same sex like how heterosexuals are naturally attracted to the opposite sex, and if more bigots could see that, maybe some of them, at least some of them, might actually get some meaningful insight and see things differently. Maybe less bigotry and prejudice.

Just being "born gay" ("A") and "choosing to be gay" ("B") should both be defended, but I feel that the first one is easier to create a defense for. That is my opinion, at least. It has a higher ground to stave off the assailing arguments. People who choose gay relationships I think should also be left alone and not hated on, but that one is, what I think, a harder one to defend (keeping in mind those who oppose these things). The problem is a lot of the people who are anti-gay don't consider these things to be both "A" and "B", but "just B".

Gah, I hope I made some sense. I think I did. Not really arguing, and this is stuff written for anyone currently active in this thread; I'm just trying to add more to the discussion of "being born gay" vs. "choosing to be gay".
Old 2010-10-22, 11:22   Link #902
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Thought I'd mention this since it is VERY relevant to what has been mentioned here recently.

A few days ago in Uganda, an independent newspaper published a front-page article with a list of 100 gays and lesbians that were the most prominent in terms of career and status. Uganda made homosexuality illegal years ago and earlier this year tried to make it earn the death penalty, but international outrage dismantled that plan. Most of the people on that list have been hunted down and/or lost their jobs.

That is one of the biggest injustices I have ever heard of. Honestly...if a person is a responsible member of society and practices safe sex, why should sexual orientation matter?! Can't believe hate like this has been legalised and so overwhelmingly supported. I know the AIDS virus is a major threat in Africa, but that doesn't justify hate. And using a newspaper, which once was the ultimate conduit of justice and liberty, has now been subverted into mindless propaganda.

*sigh* There really are few countries where women are allowed equal opportunities and people can choose more than one way on how to live...Humanity really hasn't moved that much forward in terms of humanity.
Old 2010-10-22, 11:25   Link #903
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
This is where our nukes should come in handy.
Old 2010-10-22, 11:33   Link #904
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Welcome to the world! Where people allow their anger and their fears to dictate their actions, instead of doing the right thing. I observe this particularly interesting human attribute on a near daily basis, and it is the main reason I keep pushing for rationality over emotion.

As long as you have people who are ruled by their fear, anger, and hate, you'll have things like this.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-22, 11:35   Link #905
Arbitres
Disabled By Request

Quote:
*sigh* There really are few countries where women are allowed equal opportunities and people can choose more than one way on how to live...Humanity really hasn't moved that much forward in terms of humanity.
'Humanity'?

I don't see 'Humanity' anywhere.
Arbitres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-22, 12:48   Link #906
cheyannew
PolyPerson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Sinner View Post
I know the AIDS virus is a major threat in Africa, but that doesn't justify hate.
The worst part of that is that (most likely) a lot of those who're passing the virus around, etc, aren't even gay...

But hey, everyone needs a scapegoat, right?

RIFT | Division | Side 7 Art Archive
cheyannew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-22, 13:04   Link #907
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbitres View Post
'Humanity'?

I don't see 'Humanity' anywhere.
It's in there somewhere. You kind of have to dig before you find it, but reach down far enough and you'll find it.
Old 2010-10-22, 18:09   Link #908
Kaijo
Banned

Most people like to romanticize humanity, convincing themselves that it includes all the positive aspects, with none of the negative. To a degree, people need to blind themselves to their own dark horrors so as to keep their psyche intact.

But you are correct; humanity consists of blindness, anger, hate, fear, malic, etc, and that includes prejudice against different sexuality types. In fact, humanity consists of that, far more than any positive aspects. I'm hard-pressed to see any of the "humanity" some will talk about.
Old 2010-10-23, 02:42   Link #909
Otaku Emperor
Love Conquers All!

Location: The Suzumiya Haruhi Section of AnimeSuki, (I placed my main Otaku HQ box there)
I think instead of going on about how corrupt humanity is, we should all try to be good people and set an example for others ^^.
Old 2010-10-23, 02:49   Link #910
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miko Miko View Post
What is your sexuality?

Do you think it matters what sexuality you are?

Have you ever been bullied for your sexuality?

I think sexuality is a very important subject, so Discuss.

And to be honest I am confused about my sexuality at the moment..

....My Child... you should have ask me....
its simple.....

just look whast under your pants.... lt'll tell what you should be.... damn... LOok at your birth certificate... if your male... BE A MAN!!!!... if female.... BE FEMINE
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-23, 02:59   Link #911
Otaku Emperor
Love Conquers All!

Location: The Suzumiya Haruhi Section of AnimeSuki, (I placed my main Otaku HQ box there)
Quote:
Originally Posted by genjichan View Post
....My Child... you should have ask me....
its simple.....

just look whast under your pants.... lt'll tell what you should be.... damn... LOok at your birth certificate... if your male... BE A MAN!!!!... if female.... BE FEMINE
^^ I think it's a bit more complicated then that silly.
Old 2010-10-23, 03:07   Link #912
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

I am a heterosexual.

No it doesn't matter what sexuality someone is, and frankly I couldn't care less because it's not any of my business.

I have been called gay on account of my hobbies throughout my school years.

I have never met a homosexual, but I do know 2 people who are bisexuals. I'd never have been able to tell they were if they never told me and we mingled quite well before they did, so I can say that sexuality shouldn't be used to judge someone.
Old 2010-10-23, 03:10   Link #913
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku Emperor View Post
^^ I think it's a bit more complicated then that silly.

...silly or not ,, just face the BIG, OBVIOUS FACT, only you, knows who you are and what you are....
Old 2010-10-23, 03:15   Link #914
Otaku Emperor
Love Conquers All!

Quote:
...silly or not ,, just face the BIG, OBVIOUS FACT, only you, knows who you are and what you are....
Yes, I understand whatcha mean :3

But we are refering to sexual prefrances.

^^ In todays society, hetrosexual isn't the only type of sexuality.
Old 2010-10-23, 03:42   Link #915
NoemiChan
Banned

yeah and that we made that additions (Homo and bi) that seems to only exist in humans and not in the other member of the animal kingdom... man we humans are unsatisfiable animals....
Old 2010-10-23, 03:46   Link #916
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Uh, animals can be homo or bisexual too, it's not just limited to humans.

It's harder to detect in animals though because we can't really tell what they're thinking nor entirely discern their personalities, and rather we have to observe their actions to understand them better due to a lack of being able to communicate effectively with them through any other means.
Old 2010-10-23, 04:09   Link #917
Otaku Emperor
Love Conquers All!

Quote:
yeah and that we made that additions (Homo and bi) that seems to only exist in humans and not in the other member of the animal kingdom... man we humans are unsatisfiable animals....
Do you have anything to back up that statement?

Also. I do not understand how it is your buisness if humans are Homosexual or Bi Sexual.
Old 2010-10-23, 10:36   Link #918
Kaijo
Banned

It's a well known fact that dolphins will engage in sex play with members of their own sex. Even some other animals, when in heat, will hump something else, even if it is another male of their
species.

In short, it's amusing when people pull out the "it's not natural!" card, when nature does in fact engage in homosexual behavior.
Old 2010-10-23, 11:07   Link #919
~Quasar~
SupeRookie

Quote:
What is your sexuality?
Heterosexual

Quote:
Do you think it matters what sexuality you are?
Never really thought about it but now that you mention it. No, not really.

Quote:
Have you ever been bullied for your sexuality?
Not bullied but I was asked before if I were gay or not and I was flabbergasted, speechless and offended (slightly). I was like lolwut? *insert implied facepalm here*
~Quasar~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-23, 11:45   Link #920
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
It's a well known fact that dolphins will engage in sex play with members of their own sex. Even some other animals, when in heat, will hump something else, even if it is another male of their
species.

In short, it's amusing when people pull out the "it's not natural!" card, when nature does in fact engage in homosexual behavior.
Actually, it's also fact that male dolphins separate females from the pod and deny them food until the female submits to all the males sexually. So essentially, male dolphins are rapists. And on the flipside, the female praying mantis kills the male after sex, so they're essentially murderers. All goes to show sex and love are two very different things.