AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Shana

Notices

View Poll Results: Shakugan no Shana III - Episode 3 Rating
Perfect 10 17 23.29%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 10 13.70%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 14 19.18%
7 out of 10 : Good 13 17.81%
6 out of 10 : Average 7 9.59%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 4 5.48%
4 out of 10 : Poor 3 4.11%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 1.37%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 4 5.48%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-10-22, 06:44   Link #21
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by frivolity View Post
How many episodes does this series have? If it's 12, then the pacing's completely off since we've gone through 1/4 of the episodes without any substantial new material.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Pretty sure this was confirmed for two cours, 25 episodes I think...
24 episodes, Shana has always been 24 episodes.

To be completely fair this was a good episode in it's own right, a causal refresher course for those little moments in the previous seasons- not all of them of course but just a few milestones.

But don't you hate it when they end it with a cliffhanger that teases an epic confrontation ?

P.S - Naahhh Yuji, I mean sure it took over 6 years, 2 full cour seasons, 5 OVAs and a remake-movie but I don't think you took too long to realize your feelings, right guys?
Old 2011-10-22, 08:43   Link #22
Shinn Kamiyra
Enthralled by music

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
P.S - Naahhh Yuji, I mean sure it took over 6 years, 2 full cour seasons, 5 OVAs and a remake-movie but I don't think you took too long to realize your feelings, right guys?
Absolutely one-hundred percent a-okay, I say. -Nod nod-

Episode-wise, I'll be jumping on the proverbial band wagon in that, as something of a recap episode, it could have been worse. Of course I'm of the humble opinion that the good people at J-Staff are grinning foolishly right now in their last hurrah of a troll just before Shana's long-awaited moment finally comes to a head, but that's just me.

Hrm... not much else to say, I would think. Much looking forward to next week's episode.
Old 2011-10-22, 10:34   Link #23
Ec1ge
A true 灼眼のシャナ Shanite. :D

It may of been of recap episode, but it was still a good one nonetheless.
[ Although the way they recapped it made it seem like you didn't even need to watch SnS 1 &2 much ]

8/10
Old 2011-10-22, 11:16   Link #24
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Slow episode for a cliffhanger yeah. Don't remember why Yuji did what he did.
And does he still have his sword ?
Old 2011-10-22, 11:29   Link #25
Om Nerabdator
~Maru~

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Sho- View Post
Yes.

Well it was an ok episode at the beginning then they kept throwing flashbacks at us which got boring real fast.......i can understand why the subbers took longer to release this ep since it was boring, 4/10

That being said though the next episode is gonna be all kinds of epic!!!
Old 2011-10-22, 12:49   Link #26
com_gwp

Being an okay recap episode doesn't change the fact that it's a recap episode, which I can't stand.

But this episode still gets a nod for Eita manning the **** up. 5/10

Now JC staff, you best use all that money use saved from using stock animations and old cuts from S1/2 to make the coming fights brilliant.

Last edited by com_gwp; 2011-10-22 at 14:36.
Old 2011-10-22, 13:14   Link #27
AzureWrath

You guys are being pretty harsh o.o I thought it was a pretty nice recap episode (nothing on Gintama's recaps though ~~~)

Anyway, I really like the imagery and symbolism they included. There was heavily emphasis on how Yuji has changed and how he views where he is. Very obvious near the end.

-Yuji looking up at the climb he couldn't have made before (he can carry himself now)
-Yuji coming to the top of the bridge (reaching the pinnacle of a hard climb)
-Yuji and Shana separated by a chasm atop the bridge (clash of two sides)
+ Just the overall mode of the episode with how Yuji goes over how he has changed. You get the feel that he is moving his own fate along and not being captured in the flow.

IDK, maybe I'm looking too far into it.
Old 2011-10-22, 13:16   Link #28
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

wtf, recap!!!
Old 2011-10-22, 13:47   Link #29
Kyuusaisha

Kinda slow episode once it got the the flashback parts but decent enough anyhow. This buildup is killing me though.
Old 2011-10-22, 13:47   Link #30
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

A freaking recap episode this damn early? God this is annoying...

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Sho- View Post
Slow episode for a cliffhanger yeah. Don't remember why Yuji did what he did.
yeah he does, it's his primary weapon.
Old 2011-10-22, 14:34   Link #31
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

An early recap was inevitable given the distance between season 2 and 3's airing. Would you rather have a recap at the end of the season? Best to get it out of the way now.
Old 2011-10-22, 15:06   Link #32
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
An early recap was inevitable given the distance between season 2 and 3's airing. Would you rather have a recap at the end of the season? Best to get it out of the way now.
What? Loaded question.

How about no recap at all? If people are really that clueless about what happened, then they can always refer to season 1 or 2. Plenty of series do not bother recapping.

However, the episode wasn't really that much of a recap. Yes they used recycled footage, but it wasn't a straight replaying of events. They were actually relevant to setting up Yuji's mindset. The intent was not to replay events, and I would say it wouldn't help if I didn't watch the previous seasons. The first half was mostly new material and there was some in the 2nd half.

A flat out stock footage fest would have gotten 1-2/10 from me, but I think this is just not the case. It would have been nice to reanimate stuff though...

I would say it does get boring, but hey, given the nature of the episode, people might feel like their time is being wasted. I didn't, but you have to admit many people would rather the story move forward more.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2011-10-22, 15:20   Link #33
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Plenty of series also don't consist of three seasons spread out across six years, either. The recap within the episode can be useful for people who haven't got access to the old seasons over that distance of time, and it's also useful for new viewers who never watched the first two seasons in the first place. So it has its purpose, though many of us won't like it.

Everyone should consider themselves lucky at how the episode was set up. It was nothing like the recap episodes of the two Gundam SEED series, after all.
Old 2011-10-22, 15:27   Link #34
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Sorry. Gave it a 1/10 because recap episodes lost their cool a decade ago (I'm actually only now realizing how rare recap episodes have become in the industry...they're so rare today I never think about them), and to do one in episode 3 for the previous show in the series...lol.

In the age of the internet, c'mon. Move on with the story already.

I'm sure they had the best of intentions, but you know what they say about good intentions.
Also, cake.
Old 2011-10-22, 15:30   Link #35
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
Plenty of series also don't consist of three seasons spread out across six years, either. The recap within the episode can be useful for people who haven't got access to the old seasons over that distance of time, and it's also useful for new viewers who never watched the first two seasons in the first place. So it has its purpose, though many of us won't like it.
The last Shana series was 3 years ago. It's not truly across the tears of time. Oh btw, season II started out with a recap, but hey those were good episodes weren't they? It was mixed in with a filler plot and villain, and managed to be entertaining. It served as a good opener. Doing this after you just started a little buildup really can't compare.

And the way it was pieced together, would not help anyone gather together the narrative. A Wikipedia entry would have sufficed more.

In fact the only way to realize the significance of these scenes is to... actually watch and remember the series. Otherwise, you're just nodding your head. Which is a self defeating purpose, I would say.

If you find any one that benefited from these recaps in that manner, please tell me.

Quote:
Everyone should consider themselves lucky at how the episode was set up. It was nothing like the recap episodes of the two Gundam SEED series, after all.
I suppose there's always worse. But since when do people use the bottom as a standard?

I'm not sure if anyone agrees with me, however I feel the series needs to move faster since given 6 years, we really haven't gone far enough.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2011-10-22, 15:40   Link #36
AzureWrath

Did you totally miss the imagery? Did you not see where Yuji was coming from? I'm willing to bet that this episode came directly from the novels.
Old 2011-10-22, 15:41   Link #37
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzureWrath View Post
Did you totally miss the imagery? Did you not see where Yuji was coming from? I'm willing to bet that this episode came directly from the novels.
No I didn't miss the imagery or not see where Yuji was coming from. But I'm not sure who you are talking to.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2011-10-22, 17:19   Link #38
ThereminVox
Guess what time it is?

Spoiler for Episode 3: Yuji walks around with a serious face for 20 minutes:

I'm not going to complain. This episode was clearly aimed specifically at people like me who couldn't remember a thing about season 2. I forgot Yuji even HAD a father. I kind of figured he popped out of the cabbage patch.

I guess we'll know within a few weeks if this choice of pacing was a good idea or not. Whatever story they've got, they clearly don't think it will take very long to tell. Every episode ends strong to keep you coming back, but everything else has been moving along at a very leisurely pace. When the storm comes, we'll probably miss this relatively peaceful opening act.

It's pretty clear now what Yuji's goal is. The question is whether he's being manipulated into believing he can accomplish it.
Old 2011-10-22, 17:21   Link #39
Game8910
Shanacon/Ariafag

Its ok though, people will complain no matter what anyways. Whether it came from the actual novel (like everything this season so far) or its filler. If you have followed this series for all these years now you should be immune to the hate it tends to get sometimes. If you enjoy it thats all you need.

In my case, I have always loved the series' way to slowly build the plot and the characters. It doesn't rush and it all culminates in huge "shit got real" episodes that make the wait for it. But of course not everyone can appreciate the slow build up and pace of this show.
Spring 2011 Impressions (part2)
Old 2011-10-22, 17:35   Link #40
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Wh didn't care for the recap. Nice to see Eita get back into things though. So did his girl (forgot her name) recognize Yuji? Like how Shana waited for him and he went to meet her.