AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Claymore

Notices

View Poll Results: Claymore Total Series Rating
Perfect 10 140 25.74%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 154 28.31%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 133 24.45%
7 out of 10 : Good 82 15.07%
6 out of 10 : Average 22 4.04%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 7 1.29%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 0.37%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.18%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.18%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 0.37%
Voters: 544. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-10-02, 01:52   Link #41
zhoutai753
zhoutai753

i dont know why ppl are comparing it to the manga how from eps 20+ it started to change, it was still a great anime and im hoping for season two.

10/10
Old 2007-10-02, 02:28   Link #42
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

I give it an 8/10 overall. My kind of anime, with heavy action almost every episode, but the ending was unsatisfactory and we didn't get to see, in my opinion, enough of the growing relationship between Clare and Raki. My problem with that in particular was that their escape from Ophelia and the subsequent struggles seemed all for nothing, as nothing really happened between them in the end. Lame.
Old 2007-10-02, 10:15   Link #43
hierophant
anime freak

Thumbs down

Replying to everyone who think the ending was justified as Madhouse needed to close the season:

I ask you: Do we can consider it as an "ending"? What conclusions do it have, which where not shown in manga, that justify its deviation from the manga or flat-cheesy quality?

Let's analyse it. The anime, as in the manga, (considering the timeline where the anime ended) ...

- ... the Organization's background was not covered
- ... Priscila is still alive
- ... the fate of Claymores in Pieta where not covered
- ... the fate of the Awakened army where not covered
- ... the purpose of Isley was not covered

Now let's see the trade-off we had if the same timeline ended like in manga: (not considering the possibility of the anime ending in other points of the manga)

If the anime ended like in manga:
- We would end in a cliffhanger where Claymores are hopelessly fighting against Awakened Beings
- No plot explained or concluded

The end presented in anime:
- We STILL end in a cliffhanger where Claymores are fighting and dying in Pieta. The anime simply play dumb and completely ignore it (through ep 25-26), hoping the viewer forgot about Pieta's situation. (Claymores wounded and ABs still alike)
- No plot explained, and almost none concluded. The only conclusion is Raki finding Claire, which have 0% of setimental value. Priscila is still alive, meaning Claire's vengeance was not concluded.

So, what conclusion do this ending bring? What good do this end is, anyway (to explain it being made)?
Old 2007-10-02, 11:02   Link #44
Sassarai
Army of One

Oh god not this again.
Old 2007-10-02, 11:04   Link #45
Schuyler

Simple reason, why people compare it to the manga, we all wanted a second season, and how Claymore could of been way more awesome. But with how the show ended, there is hardly any chance of that happening. They would have to rewrite the whole story. Also they pretty much made the biggest badness villain in all of Claymore look like a wimp.
Old 2007-10-02, 11:26   Link #46
Seska

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post
I'm surprised so many people hated the ending, since that was pretty much what saved this show for me.
Well, depend on that little thing. If there will be a 2nd Season.

If its not, then i wont changed my rating of 7/10. Because, they used so many scenes for build ups. Fight. "You killed Teresa, i wont never forgive you". "You killed Momy and Pappy. Youma must die!!".

Then... Yes how saved the Day? But crushed the Big end?...

Buuuuuuuuttttttt.......

If there will be a 2nd Season. Then its a good Cliffhanger...then i would give it a 9/10.
But then they must bend a bit the Manga Storyline to fit in. Or they don't care about Manga Storyline, and will do a own Story.. So only take the Manga as a Base....

See... It depends on a little thing
Old 2007-10-02, 11:41   Link #47
Kankel
Akuma HighClass Commander

Now what? What could possibly fill this huge gap that's been created on tuesdays because of the end of Claymore .Anybody has any good recommended new series that can replace Claymore on tuesdays.
Old 2007-10-02, 11:53   Link #48
FullMetalKid

The series gets a 7 from me. From 18 afterwards i watched and basically lost interest. But i always no matter what watch from start to finish. Teresa's intro and short coming of her life but explaining why Claire was attached to her is one of the best parts of the anime and manga.
Old 2007-10-02, 12:25   Link #49
Shiori Zuhon

Send a message via Yahoo to Shiori Zuhon
The whole anime was good for me...BUT.....

the ending really spoilt it for me....first, Priscilla gets to live and that perennial pest (Raki) would be following Clare. Damn....

Otherwise, this would have been a great anime. Hope there would be a second season?
Old 2007-10-02, 13:01   Link #50
hierophant
anime freak

I really hope NOT seeing a 2nd season. It would be depressing to see the whole "Mama Papa" and Raki whines again. And now that Claire is a purposeless bitch there is no really much sense for the show go on, besides showing some more guroed-hentai tentacle fights.
Old 2007-10-02, 13:06   Link #51
Echoes

I would very much enjoy a second season. They wouldn't necessarily have to focus solely on Clare this time, all the renegade Claymores have interesting stories now, not to mention the organization itself and Riful. Clare isn't really purposeless, she might not have the same drive, but what she's lost in seeking a specific goal, she's gained in will to survive and live on.
Old 2007-10-02, 13:11   Link #52
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Despite being rife with shounen cliches, Claymore managed to enough things differnet and intelligent to hold my interest. The last few episodes had a good thing going with the anyone-can-die element (I wouldn't be surprised if Clare gets offed at some point in the future), and it certainly didn't pull punches in most places. On the whole, however, it feels a bit incomplete, which is probably because there's a story at least this long waiting to be told after the point at which the anime stopped, so I won't fault it for that.
Emotion was played up much heavier than in other shows of its ilk, which I loved. In fact, despite various events in episode eight, Priscilla managed to come flying by and secure the spot of favorite character. I was always on the edge of my seat whenever she'd appear, and watching her psychosis manifest, recede, and warp was a joy.
Another thing I noticed is that many times I would see the story or a character do something odd - something that just didn't feel right or seemed to be a small thump from the writer jumping on board. However, most of these would be rationalized in surprising ways later on (Irene comes to mind), catching me off-guard.

So, for being an enjoyable action series which sincerely tried to be different and managed to succeed in some areas, Claymore gets an 8.
Old 2007-10-02, 13:14   Link #53
Ashez

I gave it a 7.. Would've been a 9 if I knew theres a 2nd season coming. I'm looking forward to one at least.

When I was watching the series I was hoping for a better end but the whole series in itself was very good actually. I enjoyed it =)
Old 2007-10-02, 14:35   Link #54
Wendigo

Hello

I think it was worth a 10, although i've got to say that the series started to suggest complete different feelings and matter after episode 7, which I started to dislike early.

The whole scale has started to change for me and Claymore, as introduced by Clare, Raki and Teresa from EP 1 to 7, became something different to me. The focus went into ultra-long, most-of the-time boring fights with just a few excellent and amazing elements, most of the emotional parts have been reduced to Clare vs. Priscilla.

Episodes 20+ finally started to stab the feeling and the elegance I knew of Claymore.
I know the anime turned out to have a different ending than the manga, but in my humble opinion the last third of EP 26 saved my thoughts about the series (don't beat me please ) Mainly because it offered screentime without AOs, distorted faces and stereotypic dialogues since a long time ago again.

It may sound odd, but in case a season 2 will come, I would have liked to see Priscilla dead at the end of EP26, since she was pretty annoying (besides some Raki parts ), and i don't like to watch her again.

But in the end it was an amazing series to watch!

Cheers
Old 2007-10-02, 15:47   Link #55
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

I gave it a 9/10. The only reason I didn't give it a full score was because I felt that the ending screwed up what was otherwise a magnificent story and plot development (basically, after Rigardo was killed that's when I think everything went downhill fast).

I haven't been into anime as much in the last 2-3 years (and haven't been posting nearly as often on these forums as a result), but this series really grabbed me like few others have. I love any anime with a good story and well-developed, individual characters. The motivations and mannerisms of the characters (particularly, the Claymores) were superb IMO. Plus, you can't beat hot bodied chicks fighting demons with gigantic swords!
Old 2007-10-02, 16:59   Link #56
Omfgbbqwtf

Animation Quality: 9
Voice Actors: 9
Script: 8
Editing: ?
Emotional Involvement: 7

Overall, a nice anime. The beginning + the middle portions are really good, but towards the end of the anime, there are just way too many power ups. THe last episode was alright, the ending just spells a second season, imo. 8/10, could have been higher, but I dont think it deserves anything lower than a 7, even if it doesn't follow the manga all the way through.
Old 2007-10-02, 16:59   Link #57
DazarGaidin
There there, Maggie-chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kankel View Post
Now what? What could possibly fill this huge gap that's been created on tuesdays because of the end of Claymore .Anybody has any good recommended new series that can replace Claymore on tuesdays.
I get this depressed feeling too when i think about it. For all the last few episodes faults, this series was someting i always had to look forward too. The other anime i watch just kinda grab it whenever it comes out. If claymore was a day late i was stressing tho

Nothing coming up this season to replace it i don't think..action wise. There is a lot of drama and romance coming out. Nothing could quite replace claymore heh

Old 2007-10-02, 19:01   Link #58
Hikapo

Animation Quality: 8
Voice Actors: 8
Script: 10
Editing: 7
Emotional Involvement: 9

The ending was alright not the greatest.

Best parts for me was Theresa Arc and Pieta Arc - Awesome fight scenes, great intensity and emotional involvement.
Old 2007-10-02, 21:13   Link #59
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

When I finished Claymore the ending did not leave on me that sensation of void which happens everytime that I conclude a title.

No, actually I felt just the conclusion to one arc, and it clearly encourages on me that there's more to show in the horizon. There were no ending credits rolling when everyone said their farewells or when Raki witnessed Clare paying her last respects to Jean's grave. And the episode ended with the usual ending video and song.
In fact, when Clare's voice narrated the preview to episode twenty-six she did not refer to it as last episode but next one.

As I posted in the episode 26 thread, the conclusion ranged from decent to satisfying, and favorably I did not felt it average in anyway to me.

I am as well interested for the last eight posts that came before mine right now. There as well some favorable scenes in the last episode and not just the ones dealing about the Org.
Even when the mainstream fans felt bitter and resentful with the downs, particularly at episode 26, still the overall storyline was highly engaging.

Everyone from a minor to major extent played their contributions. I know that at the bottom of my heart the last episode would have been improved upon if there had been a major sense of loss, not necessarily a fatalist one. But some important loss to evoke tragedy that would spring a sense of commitment on Clare to change the outlook of her revenge and modify her priorities.

I rated the last episode with a 73%, and I would have made a jump to rate it with an 81% had they clearly explicit portrayed Clare to change the outlook of her revenge against Priscilla. Instead of killing her as a monster to bring her down as a warrior.
^Seska agreed that even that resolve could well be a viable reason to the purpose of her revenge.
Spoiler:
Old 2007-10-02, 21:24   Link #60
VegaCrescent
]CLOCK UP[

For analysis purposes, I'm looking at the anime as two different sections here;

Firstly, from the beginning through Clare's encounter with Riful - Wonderful. The anime did a great job, far exceeding the limitations of the manga. The Teresa arc was pure brilliance, from the origins of episode 5 through the rising action of 6 and 7, all the way through episode 8's climax, it's among the best executed chunk of any anime I've ever seen. The following arc (The Slashers) only added to this pinnacle, by again faithfully adopting and surpassing what the manga was able to do. Mood, scenery, music, and animation were each outstanding.

Past Clare's encounter with Riful, when she headed to the north, things started to slide, for multiple reasons. Now, firstly, I'm not gonna bitch and complain about the ending. I'm in acceptance of what is was for what it had to be - the manga was faithfully followed, but they decided to go for a one-shot, 26 episode approach, so naturally things had to change with the manga stated to only be about half over. The anime team was stuck between a rock and a hard place trying to conclude things, having the storyline, when considered relative to the manga, being far from over and not in a particularly great place to wrap things up. But a lackluster ending isn't the only problem. Everything went downhill.

With only 56 minutes of original soundtrack to work with and already exhausted, the score became repetitive and stale. The animation budget was starting to thin, and certain aspects, especially combat, began to look far less impressive and rather bland compared to earlier episodes. So, of course, these two factors played very much into a much more lackluster adaptation of the War in the North than how earlier arcs were treated. I just found the episodes packing far less umph as earlier ones.
Closed Thread