AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2012-12-13, 04:21   Link #1
NightSamurai

"Numb" Protagonist

Looking for anime/manga where the protagonist withdraws emotionally (usually due to a tragedy). I want a character who was once "normal" to shut down emotionally due to events happening around/to them. This change can be immediate or gradual. An example would be Yuji Kaido from Blue Gender or Simon TTGL. Thanks in advance.
NightSamurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-13, 12:21   Link #2
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

I can think of two.

1. Sara Werec in Soukou no Strain. Start of Episode 1 - normal young woman. End of Episode 1 - numb. She has very legitimate reasons to be. Long road to personal salvation begins.

2. Kino in Kino's Journey. Nomadic series but you do see Kino at the point of numbness from the get-go. Episodes later in series will explain the events that led to it but each epsiode kind of suggests she would need to be in order to survive what she does.
Old 2012-12-13, 14:31   Link #3
CeDeR
Inactive Member

Send a message via ICQ to CeDeR Send a message via AIM to CeDeR Send a message via Yahoo to CeDeR
Aoi Bungaku Series: Its a recollection of 6 stories, the first one is called No Longer Human (episode 1–4), and well the character goes through a lot and ends up becoming numb.
CeDeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-13, 19:08   Link #4
SuzushinaYuriko
SHSL Lurker

- Kiritsugu from fate/zero, especially when his backstory is explained. It also happens to several other characters.

- Okabe from Steins;Gate.
Old 2012-12-13, 20:49   Link #5
Kirito
Enjoying Snack Time!

Send a message via MSN to Kirito
I don't know if you've seen these but I'm sure that Phantom: Requiem of the Phantom and Rumbling Hearts will have what you're looking for.
Old 2012-12-14, 00:52   Link #6
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

All three boys in Ghost Hound have a bit of the personality you seek, particularly Tarou and Makoto. Tarou was kidnapped as a young boy along with his sister and watched her die alongside him. He is being treated for PTSD when the show begins. His mother is even more "numb," but she plays a minor role. Makoto is the grandson of a cult leader who has withdrawn into himself. He spends much of his time listening to himself playing guitar in headphones. The third boy, Masayuki, appears outgoing at first glance, but that's really a shell.

In Shion no Ou, the thirteen-year-old heroine witnessed her parents' brutal murder at age four and became a mute as a result. When the show begins Shion is working her way up the ladder of professional Shougi ("Japanese chess") players. The story of her personal quest runs in parallel with a re-opened investigation into the murders. I wouldn't call her "numb," though. She is quite a powerful and determined character.

I might also put Yaichi, one of the two principals in Saraiya Goy-ou, into the "numb" category. He is the leader of a minor band of kidnappers but seems content to spend his time smoking opium, visiting prostitutes, and planning the occasional crime. His dissolution traces back to events in his childhood.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-14, 17:23   Link #7
NinjaRealist
Battoru!

Gunslinger Girl has quite a few of these kinds of protagonists. I would highly reccomend this show if that's what you're looking for. Don't watch the sequel though.

Also, the protagonist of Haibane Renmei kind of fits this bill.