AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-01-23, 13:21   Link #361
suguru
京都 ikitai~

I actually didn't like the "old English" part; I understand what they were trying to do, but it's like taking "good morning" in an Osaka accent and subbing it as "morning, y'all"--to me, it's just jarring. Other than that, good episode:

Spoiler:
Old 2004-01-23, 17:00   Link #362
CaptTylor

Send a message via ICQ to CaptTylor
using English dialects in Maburaho and other fansubs

Remember the Maburaho hotsprings episode? I was REALLY tempted to translate the dialogue of the guy fixing the car and the female hotel owner into some really outrageous country drawl, because whether anyone realized it or not, their japanese accents were STRONG. I mean, like DEEP south, back back BACKwoods strong accents. But the group concensus was that using "accents" in english subs doesn't go over well. It never even occured to me to translate Elizabeth's "...no ja" japanese accent as old english... (cockney english would have been closer to the "feel" of that particular japanese accent, anyway)

I like the idea of letting fans know that the japanese being used isn't standard, but I had to agree with the people who spoke out against "accented" english subs... Unless you KNOW japanese, and know how outrageous the characters' japanese accents are, seeing them represented in the subs just looks.... unrealistic.

-CaptTylor, translator, Anime4Life
Old 2004-01-23, 18:51   Link #363
kjwise

I think the knowledge of anime fans is being misss represented, most anime fans should know the acents portrayed be the voice actors.
I use subs as a technical reference only but I think Lunar has done a geat job of subbing this anime.

no offence intended.

-

To all fansubbers: Thankyou!
Old 2004-01-23, 19:07   Link #364
suguru
京都 ikitai~

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTylor
I like the idea of letting fans know that the japanese being used isn't standard, but I had to agree with the people who spoke out against "accented" english subs... Unless you KNOW japanese, and know how outrageous the characters' japanese accents are, seeing them represented in the subs just looks.... unrealistic.

I think the way Miyuki-Fansubs handled it in Comic Party Revolution was good--they mentioned Yuu had a Kansai accent in translation notes at the top of the screen without trying to find a comparable English accent to change the subs. I'm not fluent in Japanese by any means, but even I can tell when someone's talking in Osaka-ben--I'd rather hear the accent than read subs with a different accent. Commercial subs seem to follow that same guideline w/ characters who have an accent--in CCS Kero-chan doesn't say "y'all" (or show any other sign of an accent) in subs, nor does Kitsune in Love Hina. I guess they assume if you're watching the subs you "get" that they're speaking with an accent already--I bet most people who watch a lot of anime can pick Osaka accent out at a minimum.
Old 2004-01-23, 20:13   Link #365
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

Quote:
Originally Posted by suguru
I actually didn't like the "old English" part; I understand what they were trying to do, but it's like taking "good morning" in an Osaka accent and subbing it as "morning, y'all"--to me, it's just jarring. Other than that, good episode
I agree. Accents should not be tried to be represented in sub-titles, it only confuses or muddles their true meeting. When a character speaks an accent, a brief translator note should be made at the top of the screen, and not mentioned for that character again. I can pick up accents, so I don't get mislead.

Well anyways that's just my opinion, but I do share an animosity for accents in subs and dubs. Good episode, even though it pales in comparison to the still jaw-dropping ep 12
Old 2004-01-23, 20:33   Link #366
Dark_Voodoo
In The Navy

I actually liked that the subs where in accent. It made a whole lot more sense that a ghost from the middle ages talked with a middle age accent.

As for ep 13. Not as good as ep 12 but still

Spoiler:
Old 2004-01-23, 22:19   Link #367
Circle

Any1 else thought more about why Kazuki seems so depressed? I know there's the obvious of not having a body, no magic, and not being able to do anything for the girls anymore; but it seems like he's also disappointed that he didn't really die/disappear after making the ultimate sacrifice. It was like the easy way to escape his problems while still being heroic, but now he's in a much worse position that he expected....

But then again, I feel like I'm thinking too much. I would've given up my life to save Yuna also and if you keep living, even as a ghost, good things will happen to you .
Old 2004-01-23, 23:36   Link #368
suguru
京都 ikitai~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circle
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Old 2004-01-24, 01:52   Link #369
Thelastguardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suguru
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Anyway good run, they move a lot faster than I antipated. Also the speculations from the fans are equally as fun

Elib. also has the 'arua', but its pink in color :|
Old 2004-01-24, 02:01   Link #370
Paiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjwise
I think the knowledge of anime fans is being misss represented, most anime fans should know the acents portrayed be the voice actors.
I use subs as a technical reference only but I think Lunar has done a geat job of subbing this anime.

no offence intended.

-

To all fansubbers: Thankyou!
Agreed Lunar is doing FANTASTIC JOB! They're the only "real" Compition for S-C team.

Spoiler:
Old 2004-01-24, 03:21   Link #371
Dagnabbit

Haven't posted on here yet, so here's a few two cents'. Eps 1-6 were cool (opening of 6 was too echii), 7-10 were okay (was starting to lose interest, especially after the "hotsprings" ep), but 11 and 12 freakin' rocked. Amazing how emotional Yuna's near-death scene got (closest I've ever come to choking up at a freakin' anime), and Kazuki's Bad-assticity when fighting the disease was pretty cool. Oh, and Evil-Yuna was great (speaking of which, cool avator, Roots).

Having the accents written in the subs or just a note that Character A is using a thick accent doesn't really matter to me. Any real meaning I get from the words on the screen comes from the emotion in the actor's voices. Everything beyond that's just icing.

I'm still in the process of dl'ing ep 13, but I imagine it'll be hard for it to match up with 11 or 12, what with all that fun stuff out of the way.

lol, This is the first 'cutesy' anime I ever actually got hooked on. Anyone else in the same boat? Bloody well pissed me off when I found out that only half the series had even been aired in Japan.
Old 2004-01-28, 18:03   Link #372
hunterx
ore wa kanpeki da

oh they almost killed off yuna, the pricks man, I never cared much for her but that was close.

I just feel like beating the shit out of that doctor right now
Old 2004-01-28, 20:10   Link #373
CelestiaLegends

ahh...just watched 13 :P

Spoiler:
Old 2004-01-28, 20:21   Link #374
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelestiaLegends
ahh...just watched 13 :P

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Old 2004-01-28, 20:43   Link #375
Zell2k3

Talking Yuuna desuuuu

Ep 14 : Yuuna is so kawaiiiiiiiii desuuuu .

I more and more love her voice . So cutee
Old 2004-01-29, 01:15   Link #376
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell2k3
Ep 14 : Yuuna is so kawaiiiiiiiii desuuuu .

I more and more love her voice . So cutee
The seiyuu's name is Nabatame Hitomi. She was originally a stage actress, who found herself on the role to "the dark side" ( ^^; ) when she "majorly debuted" as Arcueid from "Shingetsutan Tsukihime" and Yuna in "Maburaho." She is very new to the world of seiyuu voice acting, but her charming performance has given her [unneeded?] fan-base among the otaku community.

She currently plays the role of Torii Eriko (Rosa foetida) in "Maria-sama ga Miteru."
Old 2004-01-29, 01:57   Link #377
Lucier
Lunar Translator

kuwashii desu ne ^^;

I really liked the way she voiced the phrase 'tsuma dakara tsuma da tte itterun desu!"...
the sound of the angry 'desu' is amusing to me =)
Old 2004-01-29, 02:10   Link #378
Flippy
Hey look behind you!!Haha

Oh joy to Maburaho...I saw it at an anime con acouple weeks ago and ever since then have been hooked....I saw episodes 1-13 and I found episode 14 on one site but it didn't d/l...from the stuff I've seen posted on this thread it looks like that's where every one else has seen up to....does snyone know when we'll actually be able to see episodes 14+...I'm so pumped to see what happens next...seeing what just happen to Kansai and all with that new character and all in episode 13.
Spoiler:
Old 2004-01-29, 05:54   Link #379
CaptTylor

Send a message via ICQ to CaptTylor
[QUOTE=Flippy]Oh joy to Maburaho...I saw it at an anime con acouple weeks ago and ever since then have been hooked....I saw episodes 1-13 and I found episode 14 on one site but it didn't d/l...from the stuff I've seen posted on this thread it looks like that's where every one else has seen up to....does snyone know when we'll actually be able to see episodes 14+...I'm so pumped to see what happens next...seeing what just happen to Kansai and all with that new character and all in episode 13.

Flippy, hi, I'm not sure what fansubbers' episodes you're dling, but I just finished the translation of 14 about twelve hours ago (8 a.m. Thursday morning, in japan), so my group should have the episode released in another 12 - 16 hours. .... I think S-C (Sugar Cube) or Lunar are also as fast, so you should have 3 choices of episode 14 to download within the next 24 hours. It was a good episode, in my opinion ^^ Yuna freaks out some more ^^

Old 2004-01-29, 10:29   Link #380
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flippy
I saw episodes 1-13 and I found episode 14 on one site but it didn't d/l...from the stuff I've seen posted on this thread it looks like that's where every one else has seen up to....does snyone know when we'll actually be able to see episodes 14+...
You may not have realized this, but the reason why everyone's only up to 13 (and 14 this week), is because the anime is still airing on TV in Japan! Expect to see one episode/week for the next few months! The wait can be a bit frustrating, but all the sub groups are working as quick as they can! (It still amazes me how fast they are able to churn the subs out - it puts the licensing companies to shame, sometimes!)

Also, thanks CaptTylor for the update!
Closed Thread

Tags
comedy, fantasy, harem, shounen