AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Infinite Stratos

Notices

Old 2012-01-06, 11:28   Link #16741
demino_hellsin
That one guy

It's too easy to stu in IS, because of certain reasons.

1. Half the characters are given props, and still end up disappointing to their claims of greatness.

2. We don't have a clear idea of how great these characters really are because all we get is a shallow synopsis of their background.

3. The whole thing with the introductions is so rapidfire that the reader can barely understand what's happening or who is who.

4. They all seem so similar, even the art suggests so. (I seriously think I wouldn't have been able to tell them apart if not for the unique hairstyles -_-", and I usually tell characters apart by their personality too T_T)

5. The world feels free form because canon rules seem so non-existent, so no real roof is leveled.(until someone decides that they need to flame you the facts)
demino_hellsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-06, 11:31   Link #16742
Eratas123

Actually, most go like this:

1. Make badass male lead.

2. Readers complain.

3. Tries to defend OC and makes no difference.

4. More complaints.

5. repeat steps 1 to 3.

That's why I made Irish a normal. Completely different and weaker than most of the cast, but doesn't sit down and take everything like a wimp.

@ Demi - Doesn't help that most OC's seem to have the same template: Badass for no reason, attracts girls (excusable considering the setting), tall for some reason, and (of course) the DEEP VOICE. Add "own Rin and Cecilia for no reason" to that list.
Old 2012-01-06, 11:33   Link #16743
kaizerknight01
Extra Superior Otaku

I am avoiding that Mary sue thing

my idea that each OC character has a story tell that help the main character to grow whether be it serious ones or hilarious/silly ones
kaizerknight01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-06, 11:36   Link #16744
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

All you need is to erase that "Rare Gunpla model that can match an I.S." thing and it's a get go, the idea that overwhelming enemy with 17 cm robot is really funny indeed.

Side note - Attract girls, tall and muscular (and handsome), deep voice, own Rin and/or Cecilia, yes, that's common template..
Old 2012-01-06, 11:36   Link #16745
Eratas123

OC's have to be more than "kickass IS pilot with a personality taken out of a badass book". Unfortunately, most OC's fall to this.
Old 2012-01-06, 11:43   Link #16746
Eratas123

@ Senpai - When does one stop being considered a kid? I remember Ichika being called a kid at ne point.
Old 2012-01-06, 11:43   Link #16747
demino_hellsin
That one guy

too much ass
Old 2012-01-06, 11:45   Link #16748
kaizerknight01
Extra Superior Otaku

@Zero i will take note that.
kaizerknight01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-06, 11:45   Link #16749
Eratas123

@ Demi - What are you talking about?
Old 2012-01-06, 11:47   Link #16750
demino_hellsin
That one guy

What OC's seem to amount to in stus:

mentioned: "kick ass" "bad ass"

implied: "hot ass" "grabbing ass" "acts like an ass"

just to say a few
Old 2012-01-06, 11:50   Link #16751
Eratas123

@ Demi - Seems to be getting better nowadays. The engineer pilot one, I'm looking out and hoping it'll be good.
Old 2012-01-06, 11:51   Link #16752
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

Not to mention Jerk-ass and Ignorant ass... wait that's me XD

@Eras
Depends on the one who called, a 50-something old man may call Chifuyu a brat and done with it. Likewise, Chifuyu call Ichika brat makes sense. The point is that the one that called is much older and wiser.
Old 2012-01-06, 11:52   Link #16753
Eratas123

Is Irish and Ichika being called a kid okay?
Old 2012-01-06, 11:52   Link #16754
demino_hellsin
That one guy

who would win in a fandom clash... IS or TTGL?
Old 2012-01-06, 11:53   Link #16755
EthernalRain
Head of FRACTURE R&D

Sup! Woke up, and now I'm at school!

On the note of real life, is it obsessive/degrading/sad that I sorely miss the company of my girlfriend at a time like this?

On a more on topic note, the male OC is a thing needed to be taken carefully. If you have people who like your OC, then heed your readers advice. It helps tremendously, and you might end up with a better character, and it tells readers you're open to (good) change.

I had a very bumpy road to traverse during the early days of the IS fanfic section's existance. There was an abundance of male IS pilots who were significantly badass than Ichika.

So, I believed Kyuukai would get a crapload of flak. At the start, he kinda deserves a little. But like Zero's cycle, he grows into a much more likable person in a plausible way, even if there's copious amounts of character development.

@ Eratas: Kinda, since they're legally kids. But many people would kinda agree that the actions make the man. So if they prove they have what it takes to be adults, then people won't really consider (or call) them kids.

@ Demino: In a fandom clash, I don't really favour our odds... Doesn't mean we won't kick a bit of ass though.
EthernalRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-06, 11:55   Link #16756
demino_hellsin
That one guy

It's not sad that you miss her, it's not sad if you want to snap the neck of any guy who gets close to her. It's sad if you act out stalkerish tendencies that you normally keep in your head.

@ER: I write for IS, but I don't consider myself part of the fandom. I'm merely fascinated by the potential in it. I have yet to be wowed.
Old 2012-01-06, 11:59   Link #16757
Eratas123

@ Demi - Snapping the neck seems pretty bad

@ Rain - Kyuukai did feel a bit like a sue in the early chapters. This got better in later chapters. Still, the sickeningly sweethearts moments made me cringe somewhat. The whole talking about why he liked Laura in the beach arc when the other girls were there made me go WTF a bit.

Side note - Ichika acts young, Irish looks young. They're also the most impulsive and obviously flawed in the cast. They petty much wrecked the Mondo Grosso defense.
Old 2012-01-06, 12:01   Link #16758
demino_hellsin
That one guy

@era-era: I've met guys with girlfriends on my end, over half of them ended up a mess. Either violent or just broken... One week later they were back to concentrating on their old introverted hobbies
Old 2012-01-06, 12:02   Link #16759
EthernalRain
Head of FRACTURE R&D

@ Eratas: It's later discovered that he previously wrote it up beforehand in his journal and saved it for later. It's supposed to be sickeningly sweet, he wrote it with copious amounts of fluff. That's why it's so intensely sweet. All previously fabricated and saved for later.

Is there any backlash in the plot to the characters or events during the aftermath to the Mondo Grosso defense?

@ Demino: ... I don't have stalkerishness in me, after much exposure to anime.

And snapping the neck is a bit harsh...
EthernalRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-06, 12:03   Link #16760
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

At least our posting speed is close to that of Nanoha's...

In case of Violent girlfriend - don't have any, and I'm the type that hit the girl if I really have to, so, thankfulyl no domestic violence so far.

Tags
fanfic ideas, fanfiction, ff.net, harem, is fanfic, warning fanfic spoilers, wincest