AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online > Past SAO Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Sword Art Online - Episode 1 Rating
Perfect 10 101 43.35%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 62 26.61%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 43 18.45%
7 out of 10 : Good 17 7.30%
6 out of 10 : Average 4 1.72%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 3 1.29%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 3 1.29%
Voters: 233. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-07-08, 02:38   Link #221
Village Idiot
Fate/ Stay Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
I would think though, that the 2000 causalities are disproportionately concentrated among the rushers. And trolls, etc.

So, I'd suspect alot of the more conservative players are only beginning to make headway in the past two weeks, after the initial rush and possible Ganking waves outside the towns subside. Furthermore, given that the first level has not yet been cleared in the first month (strange, since beta testers made it at least beyond Level Eight)

That implies that if you are going to rush. Be very careful. If survival is at stake, my suspicion is that most Non Beta testers would be much more conservative. Waiting for two weeks may be better than rushing out.
Probably have to do with a combination of lack of mobs (due to immense over-population of the first few areas) and the beta testers wanting to grind more levels/equipment before trying to clear the floor.

Remember that the testers prob only reached floor 8 via trial and error and a lot of resses, something they don't have the luxury with here. I'd imagine beating the floor boss with <40% HP still remaining would be way too big a risk to take.
Old 2012-07-08, 02:40   Link #222
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
That was a pretty good first episode... but on the suspension of disbelief side, this is a pretty hard swallow.

I think I'd have preferred it if we had seen more news reports (from the real world's perspective) were national leaders were talking about hunting down Kayaba. I mean, Kayaba is now easily on the level of Osama bin Laden, and likely with way fewer people protecting him than what bin Laden had.

Every single industrialized nation in the world should want this man captured, preferably alive but dead if necessary. The public outcry for his head would be absolutely massive.

I can almost kind of accept a megalomaniacal game maker managing to pull this off, but I have a much harder time accepting him avoiding the authorities for very long. No doubt he has created a nice hideaway for himself, but against the full weight of the FBI, the CIA, the US military, and various intelligence agencies/militaries throughout the world, I have a hard time imagining Kayaba avoiding capture for more than a year, max.

And wow, after watching this and the .hack anime, I don't know if I'd ever feel comfortable playing a VR MMO if one is created in real life.
Old 2012-07-08, 02:47   Link #223
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molitar View Post
So from a reader that reads novels their is no way I would read this authors because there is so many ways he could of made it plausible but did not even care to even try with such a weak premise as I have seen in the Anime and did some reading online to see if parts were left out but nope from what I read online it's the premise and no explanation at all why server can't be shut down. I don't even get how this was even made into a novel in Japan if our fantasy novels or scifi novels were like this nobody would read them there has to be some sort of explanation to make it plausible in it's environment.
Note that given that this is only the first episode, there is no way they'll lay out all the exposition within 25 minutes, otherwise you'll get people saying the first ep is an exposition-fest (which some are already saying it is).

Also, many of your questions have answers within the novels themselves. Given what topic this is though, they cannot be answered here (WildGoose already got banned for a small spoiler. I still think it's unreasonable, but still...) It might be better to wait and see how they'll explain the finer points of the novel plot in the future (such as the whereabouts of the developer), rather than write everything off as "the author not doing his research". Besides, we can believe that a super genius with limited resources can build a bullet-proof powered armor made from scraps in a cave, why not a super genius with access to a lot more resources who might have planned this for years?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2extreme View Post
People do die in real life from playing MMORPG due to exhaustion...
Only if they forget to eat, sleep and void for days on end. Rather sad when such happens.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-08, 02:48   Link #224
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
And wow, after watching this and the .hack anime, I don't know if I'd ever feel comfortable playing a VR MMO if one is created in real life.
Well, go for the speed/sword/dual-wield class to cover all your base, and black clothings for maximum plot armor protection!

also helps if you befriend any mysterious AI girl that comes across, esp. if they're named Aura :P
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-08, 02:50   Link #225
Calca
Expressionless

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
You're looking at it as a game still, while I'm just telling you that it's quite different when you're in a real life combat situation, which is what SAO has basically turned into.

Just because nobody wants to die and will try to do everything they can do avoid it, doesn't mean they will remain calm and actually do the correct thing, especially for those without proper training. This I have seen first hand.
And you are looking at a game from the perspective of a real life world. This isn't a game character brought into the environment of a real life world. This is a real life world character brought into the environment of a game. Thus in this situation, the physics and scenarios of the gaming world dominates. Any training or real life combat situations that you may have seen first hand means nothing other than perhaps reaction time or mental state. Any surprise ability that an enemy has is not confined to the reality of the real life world as you see.

Thus my point, you cannot prepare for abilities that go beyond that confines of the real world.
Calca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-08, 02:54   Link #226
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Well, go for the speed/sword/dual-wield class to cover all your base, and black clothings for maximum plot armor protection!

also helps if you befriend any mysterious AI girl that comes across, esp. if they're named Aura :P
Well, for what it's worth, the setting and character designs are awesome. The seiyu work was very good too.

But I'm so struck by the premise itself that it was hard for me to focus much on that, lol.

Hopefully, I'll get more into the basic story the more I watch it.
Old 2012-07-08, 03:01   Link #227
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calca View Post
And you are looking at a game from the perspective of a real life world. This isn't a game character brought into the environment of a real life world. This is a real life world character brought into the environment of a game. Thus in this situation, the physics and scenarios of the gaming world dominates. Any training or real life combat situations that you may have seen first hand means nothing other than perhaps reaction time or mental state. Any surprise ability that an enemy has is not confined to the reality of the real life world as you see.

Thus my point, you cannot prepare for abilities that go beyond that confines of the real world.
You know, you just casually dismissed the two of the most important things to surviving combat It doesn't matter if you're the greatest shot in the world if you panic and can't execute your shots, and the same goes for SAO - you may be a master swordman, but if you panic and just start hacking away, it's probably not going to end well for you. And for people who's never had to fight for their life, panic isn't all that rare, especially if things don't go well.

This has nothing to do with it being a game, since that merely means you're operating with a different set of rules and weapons. When your life is on the line, it's what's in your head that's going to keep you alive.
Old 2012-07-08, 03:09   Link #228
Haruyasha
名前は?
*Scanlator

Quote:
Every single industrialized nation in the world should want this man captured, preferably alive but dead if necessary.
That's 10,000 (Japanese) players.. No gaijin allowed.. Or have you not noticed the tendency of Japan region blocking all of their mmorpgs?

The only industrialized nation who would care enough is Japan.

But... but.... PSO2 isn't region blocked!

- Not for long. Lets just say that it's up in the air due to complaints.
Haruyasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-08, 03:11   Link #229
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
That was a pretty good first episode... but on the suspension of disbelief side, this is a pretty hard swallow.

I think I'd have preferred it if we had seen more news reports (from the real world's perspective) were national leaders were talking about hunting down Kayaba. I mean, Kayaba is now easily on the level of Osama bin Laden, and likely with way fewer people protecting him than what bin Laden had.

Every single industrialized nation in the world should want this man captured, preferably alive but dead if necessary. The public outcry for his head would be absolutely massive.

I can almost kind of accept a megalomaniacal game maker managing to pull this off, but I have a much harder time accepting him avoiding the authorities for very long. No doubt he has created a nice hideaway for himself, but against the full weight of the FBI, the CIA, the US military, and various intelligence agencies/militaries throughout the world, I have a hard time imagining Kayaba avoiding capture for more than a year, max.

Does it matter if they get him Bin Laden style, if the people inside are still being held "hostage"? I think you give our agencies too much credit. If this guy is that much of a megalomaniac, he has likely ensured that any attempt to stop the game would immediately kill all players. I wouldn't be surprised if his own death wasn't a trigger of some kind. At least he didn't create a spectate mode....that would be absolutely cruel.

Even so, I'm not getting the feeling that the story outside of the game matters much, outside of explaining how the characters got stuck there and why this "MMO" is serious business (kind of hard to feel bad for a character death if they can just resurrect, right?). The story certainly wasted no time dumping the characters into the game world, so I don't think there is going to be a dual track plot of "in game" and "out of game" where you see characters struggling to stay alive in SAO while other characters struggle to find a way to free them outside of the game.
Old 2012-07-08, 03:24   Link #230
ninja_pintu

Sorry Cline, everytime you speak, I am reminded of Mutta. I don't think I can take you seriously anymore
Old 2012-07-08, 03:36   Link #231
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja_pintu View Post
Sorry Cline, everytime you speak, I am reminded of Mutta. I don't think I can take you seriously anymore
He's still an awesome bro though
Old 2012-07-08, 03:40   Link #232
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
Does it matter if they get him Bin Laden style, if the people inside are still being held "hostage"?
I would find it highly unrealistic for this to not have a massive fallout worldwide. We're only talking 10 years here. It's not like this is set in the far-flung future.

Granted, there is what Haruyasha just brought up, but even if its effect is localized to just one nation, it would be the leading news story throughout the entire world and it is on the level of a massive terrorist attack.

People all over the world would want this man caught and brought to justice due to his atrocious crimes and the rather severe threat he obviously poses.

It would definitely start an international manhunt. Interpol would be over this instantly.

Quote:
I think you give our agencies too much credit.
Why do you think that I'm giving them too much credit? The US did in fact get bin Laden. The US also did get Saddam Hussein. A lot of the top people in al-Qaeda have been wiped out.

I can't think of any recent criminal of this stature, with his name and profile out there, that has managed to avoid capture permanently.

Quote:
If this guy is that much of a megalomaniac, he has likely ensured that any attempt to stop the game would immediately kill all players.
Well, sure. I'm not saying that catching him will save the players. If this guy is smart, he's prepared to get captured and/or killed, and there may not be a way to get people out of this game safely (without them beating the game, of course).

But saving the players is not the only reason why this guy should be hunted down, of course.

Quote:

Even so, I'm not getting the feeling that the story outside of the game matters much, outside of explaining how the characters got stuck there and why this "MMO" is serious business (kind of hard to feel bad for a character death if they can just resurrect, right?). The story certainly wasted no time dumping the characters into the game world, so I don't think there is going to be a dual track plot of "in game" and "out of game" where you see characters struggling to stay alive in SAO while other characters struggle to find a way to free them outside of the game.
I expect that you're right here, and I do find that at least a bit disappointing. The "real world" side of this could be very, very intriguing to watch unfold, imo.

If it is left entirely unaddressed, then I will consider that a significant flaw against the anime. It's simply not something that should be overlooked if you're pitching a premise as extreme as this one is, in my opinion.
Old 2012-07-08, 03:54   Link #233
GoddyofAus
Level 5 Pyrokineticist

I have to say, an all round superb start. Definitely the one to stick with this Summer.
GoddyofAus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-08, 03:57   Link #234
Calca
Expressionless

Quote:
You know, you just casually dismissed the two of the most important things to surviving combat It doesn't matter if you're the greatest shot in the world if you panic and can't execute your shots, and the same goes for SAO - you may be a master swordman, but if you panic and just start hacking away, it's probably not going to end well for you. And for people who's never had to fight for their life, panic isn't all that rare, especially if things don't go well.

This has nothing to do with it being a game, since that merely means you're operating with a different set of rules and weapons. When your life is on the line, it's what's in your head that's going to keep you alive.
And you just dismissed the reality of the world in this anime. They are in a game world. I can tell you don't play very many RPGs. Your PoV may be very good in a situation where someone is thrown into a game that is an FPS but not an RPG.

Let's say you and a friend encounter a boss. Like you say your lives are on the line and what is in their head will keep both of you alive and have that mentality going into the boss.

Suddenly the boss mind controls or confuses your friend. This is a highly common status ailment in RPGs. Your friend starts attacking you. You did not know of this ability beforehand and could not prepare. What do you do? It is these situations those of SoA are facing.

Let's say you're soloing instead. Like you say, your life is on the line and your head is stable and prepared.

Suddenly the boss you encounter puts an ability on you that you are not aware of. You are hurt and you heal yourself. The ability the boss puts on you was actually one that causes all healing techniques to hurt you instead. You die.

You may think that these abilities and situations are stupid, but these types of abilities are used all the times in RPGs and MMORPGs. I think you saying that a person "merely means you're operating with a different set of rules and weapons" while ignoring the variety of what enemies in RPGs can do is wrong.
Calca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-08, 04:01   Link #235
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Why do you think that I'm giving them too much credit? The US did in fact get bin Laden.
And it took them at least 10 years of active investigations to do so, even with the resources of the largest investigative agencies.

Also... novel spoilers, hence I we can't say anymore

I'm kinda seeing a trend here where most of the answers are in the novels, but since this is the anime thread, we can't lay them out here.

@kyp275 and Calca:

What exactly are you two arguing about again? Since I kinda feel like you two are arguing about two completely different things. I actually thought you two were agreeing with each other for the first couple of posts, then got off tangent.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-08, 04:04   Link #236
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
I would find it highly unrealistic for this to not have a massive fallout worldwide. We're only talking 10 years here. It's not like this is set in the far-flung future.

Granted, there is what Haruyasha just brought up, but even if its effect is localized to just one nation, it would be the leading news story throughout the entire world and it is on the level of a massive terrorist attack.

People all over the world would want this man caught and brought to justice due to his atrocious crimes and the rather severe threat he obviously poses.

It would definitely start an international manhunt. Interpol would be over this instantly.
I'm sure it would have devastating fallout. I never said it wouldn't. I'm saying that sending out the torches and pitchforks could be the last thing you'd want to do. Finding the guy responsible may or may not be the right path to resolution, which is to resolve the hostage situation with as few casualties as possible and hopefully the perp in cuffs.

Quote:
Why do you think that I'm giving them too much credit? The US did in fact get bin Laden. The US also did get Saddam Hussein. A lot of the top people in al-Qaeda have been wiped out.

I can't think of any recent criminal of this stature, with his name and profile out there, that has managed to avoid capture permanently.
This part I'm just going to let go, since it'll just derail the topic.

Quote:
Well, sure. I'm not saying that catching him will save the players. If this guy is smart, he's prepared to get captured and/or killed, and there may not be a way to get people out of this game safely (without them beating the game, of course).

But saving the players is not the only reason why this guy should be hunted down, of course.
He may not even exist in real life, at least not anymore. If he's a genius programmer who can create a virtual world, what better way to be God than to upload your brain and act as "admin" of the world? Wouldn't be the first time I've seen that plot type in an anime.

Quote:
I expect that you're right here, and I do find that at least a bit disappointing. The "real world" side of this could be very, very intriguing to watch unfold, imo.

If it is left entirely unaddressed, then I will consider that a significant flaw against the anime. It's simply not something that should be overlooked if you're pitching a premise as extreme as this one is, in my opinion.
It would be interesting, but a serious flaw? Nah. You got your addressing, the world outside of the game no longer concerns the cast of the story as far as it relates to escaping the situation at hand.
Old 2012-07-08, 04:08   Link #237
GoddyofAus
Level 5 Pyrokineticist

A thread about Sword Art devolves into a debate about U.S Foreign Policy.

Clap clap for the handicapped.
Old 2012-07-08, 04:09   Link #238
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Great opening episode... definitely breathtaking.... My adrenaline just want to see the anime finish at once... I can't wait!!!!!
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-08, 04:14   Link #239
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoddyofAus View Post
A thread about Sword Art devolves into a debate about U.S Foreign Policy.

Clap clap for the handicapped.
What if it was Australian Foreign Policy? Actually... that wouldn't matter to me either as I don't care since I think politics is stupid in general .

But I do get what Triple_R is saying regarding suspension of disbelief because you definitely do need some. I'll just wait till the anime explains what goes on in the real world whilst this chaos is going on before I judge though.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-08, 04:17   Link #240
GoddyofAus
Level 5 Pyrokineticist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocari_Sweat View Post
What if it was Australian Foreign Policy? Actually... that wouldn't matter to me either as I don't care since I think politics is stupid in general .

But I do get what Triple_R is saying regarding suspension of disbelief because you definitely do need some. I'll just wait till the anime explains what goes on in the real world whilst this chaos is going on before I judge though.
Mate, I think about 90% of anime in general needs a suspension of disbelief. That's pretty much the idea, isn't it? To escape the real world for 23 minutes and enjoy something else.

I think any anime that is 100% grounded in reality would actually be pretty stagnant.

Tags
sci-fi, shonen