Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-06-29, 10:58   Link #1
Fighter Volk
Thanks sakurabatou @ LJ

Ayakashi Ayashi 妖士奇 - October BONES

So it looks like BONES is coming out with another series in October! There is no information about it yet aside from the title (and even so, only in Japanese) and, seemingly, its being an original work. It doesn't look like it's based off of a manga. I did a Google search with the Japanese title and all that came up was a bunch of Japanese info sites that said, October, BONES, 妖士奇. Back when Juuousei was first announced, a Google search immediately led me to the manga. Therefore, I think it's safe to say that 妖士奇 will be an original BONES work.

Which, as we all know, basically equals awesomeness.

So yeah. As soon as more information pops up, I'll post it here.
Old 2006-06-29, 12:11   Link #2
Tommy Feb6
Lonely in Gorgeous, Yeah~

I propose we call it "妖 loyal retainer oddity"
Old 2006-06-29, 15:04   Link #3
Fighter Volk
Thanks sakurabatou @ LJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Feb6
I propose we call it "妖 loyal retainer oddity"
Haha, yeah Babelfish <3

Some google search results come up with hiragana for "Ayakashi Ayashi." So maybe that's the title?
Old 2006-06-29, 15:47   Link #4
ShikaShika
無罪

My qualified guess is that the title is 'Youdoki'. What it means I don't know, but translating each kanji by itself would get you something like 'strange/mysterious enchanted ground'.
Old 2006-06-29, 15:58   Link #5
doink-chan
Hajimari no Kaze

Send a message via AIM to doink-chan Send a message via Yahoo to doink-chan
The second kanji isn't 土, though, it is 士 which is pronounced shi...

So I would guess that the title is "Youshiki".
Old 2006-06-29, 16:39   Link #6
domino
デレデレ

I think it means something along the lines of "A strange but charming gentleman". But no matter what it means, I will watch it if BONES makes it. They're my heroes~
Old 2006-06-29, 17:19   Link #7
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
I took a look around and for some reason this thing keeps popping up in connection to that SUNRISE x CLAMP x Goro Taniguchi vehicle that also starts in October. Code Geass, I thought it was called.

Any connection besides the premiere season?
Old 2006-06-30, 02:20   Link #8
windral

the second character (士) is samurai.
Old 2006-06-30, 02:59   Link #9
aardvark

The new BONES series "Ayakashi Ayashi" will be replacing Blood+ in the prized TBS Saturday 6pm timeslot.

At least this is what is reported on Gunota's site. It was reportedly announced at the Sony Music Anime fes' in Osaka. The show can also be found on Moon Phase as well.

This is wierd, I was under the impression that Code Geass would be on that slot but it appears its a different one.

I think this is the first time an original production is poised to appear on that timeslot. In any case I'm rooting for BONES to make us forget about Jyu-oh-sei.
Old 2006-06-30, 07:28   Link #10
wao
OK.

Yeah, it's called Ayakashi Ayashi.

BONES is really a very solid production studio, they've got enough $ and clout to get THEIR own programme on primetime on a widely-broadcasted station... First they actually wangle their own extremely well-produced ORIGINAL (by this I mean it isn't from a manga, or game or whatever) 51 episode series Eureka 7 and carry the whole thing out... but that didn't get a really good timeslot. But now this.... I wonder if they are purposely not releasing any publicity material - not even the name of the director, wtf? - so that people don't come in with a load of preconceptions and expectations like what happened with Eureka 7... A lot of people expected much more out of Eureka 7 but it didn't deliver. It wasn't that bad, it's just that people expected too much I think.

I think this gets put together a lot with the Code Geass thingy because both are on MBS (however, Ayakashi Ayashi is on TBS as well, and obviously in a different timeslot). Perhaps Code Geass was expected to take over Blood+ especially since people were saying that it would be aired during primetime and on MBS...

I hear this is going to be a period drama. I trust they'll do it in style...
Old 2006-06-30, 08:31   Link #11
xris
Just call me Ojisan

I've edited the thread title to include Ayakashi Ayashi, let me know if that isn't an appropriate name for the thread/series.
Old 2006-06-30, 10:57   Link #12
Fighter Volk
Thanks sakurabatou @ LJ

Thank you xris.

I expected a *lot* out of Eureka Seven, what with it having FMA as a predecessor and all, and yet (at episode 31; I haven't seen the rest yet) it not only fulfilled my expectations but surpassed them. Again, so far. But that's just my opinion. I know a lot of people didn't like it. As for Jyu-Oh-Sei, it would have made a kickass 24-or-26-episode series, but with only 11 episodes it flopped pretty badly. The drama was hard to believe, the plot twists didn't have much effect, and so on. Making the series so short was quite, quite a bad move on BONES's part. I'm really excited to finally see Hiwou Senki when the first (nine-episode, it seems!) DVD comes out on September 12th. I'll finally be able to watch *everything* BONES has done.

As for the timeslot, Google searches kept popping up with BLOOD+ all over the place, so I presumed something like that was the case. This lack of information, as wao says, is interesting. I'm excited.

Maybe this is that "Mukoh Hadan" thing that BONES announced ages ago? The samurai-era period drama? I hope not... the premise didn't sound very interesting.
Old 2006-06-30, 13:30   Link #13
wao
OK.

Maybe it is, maybe it is... like that mysterious SPIRIT film by Gonzo everyone was so excited about, which eventually morphed into Gin-iro no Kami no Agito.

But the premise could have changed a lot since then. I don't know what they put into it to make it viable for the "doroku" timeslot (sorry if I sound awfully nerdy/posier, but it's such a cool contraction - doroku = 土六 = 土曜日六時 = Saturday 6 pm. The timeslot many anime producers could only dream of, perhaps.)

For Blood+ they were aiming at a female audience after seeing Seed, and then FMA score very well with the girls. If I remember correctly that was the reason why they made Saya the lead character (so that girls can empathise with her) and have Haji being all bishi-like. But at the same time the guys (the otakus in particular) can obsess or whatever over Saya too. Whereas if you have a male lead, the girls can fangirl over him but he won't really appeal to the guys as much (I think in Seed's case they didn't intend to pimp Kira as much at first, but the girls really fell for him, which prolly explains his intrusion into Destiny)

So what'll they put in here, I wonder... I just pray it's not stupidly contrived and it'll be nice if they don't work with Seiji Takeda anymore...

Spoiler for random incoherence:

Last edited by wao; 2006-06-30 at 15:11.
Old 2006-06-30, 14:33   Link #14
ShikaShika
無罪

Quote:
Originally Posted by doink-chan
The second kanji isn't 土, though, it is 士 which is pronounced shi...

So I would guess that the title is "Youshiki".
I thought kanji was difficult, but that's just plain mean.
Old 2006-07-10, 08:26   Link #15
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Here's the website.

http://mbs.jp/ayakashi/

HOLY CRAP! Yaranaika!? 8)

EDIT: Additionally, there is some news on the staff of the show.

Original Concept: Shou Aikawa (previous work: scripts for Fullmetal Alchemist and RahXephon)
Director: Hiroshi Nishikiori (previous work: director of Jyu-Oh-Sei, Azumanga Daioh, Angelic Layer)
Character Design: Toshihiro Kawamoto (previous work: character design for Cowboy Bebop, Wolf's Rain, Gundam OVAs)
Concept Design: Takuhito Kusanagi (Samurai 7, Ao no Roku Go), Atsushi Yamagata (Hakkenden, Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou)

I am very happy about everyone except the director. Jyu-Oh-Sei was kind of a flop, although, you might say it was a problem with the script and pacing. In any case, let's hope this time it will be better and considering the other talent attached to the show, I am counting on it.

Last edited by MrProphet; 2006-07-10 at 09:08.
Old 2006-07-10, 10:17   Link #16
wao
OK.

LOL!! That's the first thing I thought as well? WTF? Yaranaika? Ahahaha...

(That reminds me, mix Kusomiso Technique and MUSASHI and what do you get?... Ii otoko da, sukoshi kariru zo! Ahahahaha. You can pelt me with tomatoes now.)

(Either that, or you get that sort of image like the one on the site, LOL.)

I think it's not entirely Nishikiori's fault for Juuousei being like that. After all, he did manage to keep the animation pretty standard and didn't go to the extent of botching off (cough Nagisa Miyazaki cough Fukuda cough). We'll just see anyway... He's had experience with long series with Asia-do's Kaiketsu Zorori (is he still doing that?) but still, I can't help but think that he isn't a particularly talented director.

Oh well, guess we'll just see what the heck they have in store for us. I hope Show Aikawa is happy that he has his own script to play around with now, and not other stories (12 Kingdoms, FMA). Actually I'm kind of looking forward to it.

(Mmmm, too much hot chocolate...)
Old 2006-08-11, 10:09   Link #17
wao
OK.

Sorry to double post, but at some point or another the Sony Entertainment website got updated. I guess it was soem time ago... You can see what the main characters look like. Do not be fooled by the lady character, that is a guy, voiced by Shinichiro Miki (Otogizoushi... Mansaicoatu ;x)

My first impression on seeing the first 4 characters in that order was "Cowboy Bebop in Olde Japan" - the old guy reminds me of Jet and the womanly looking person could've been Faye, while the kiddo would be Edward (and guess what, she's brought up as a guy!) And that leaves the main character, Yaran- I mean, Yukiatsu Ryuudou, as Spike... well, he's voiced by Keiji Fujiwara at least, if it was Kouichi Yamadera I'll go laugh in a corner

Yoshikazu Miyao - who I remember as doing mech designs for Melody of Oblivion, and the assistant director of Gad Guard (where the director is the same here, Hiroshi Nishikiori) - is the assistant director here too. We'll see how he fares... I haven't watched Gad Guard except for the excellent OP and ED - I hope this has equally high production quality. No wait, it's BONES, it'd probably have just as good quality I guess

I don't know if it interests anyone that Ko Otani is doing the music, but I remember liking the Haibane Renmei music.

Other than that there isn't anything else it seems.
Old 2006-08-11, 11:57   Link #18
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Interesting.

So, the plot has something to do with that kanji or something? It does seem a lot like Otogizoushi, but in Edo Period, instead of Heian. The main character is some kind of an onmyuoji with special l33t kanji reading skillz? LOL

And yes, I still can't banish the vision of Yaranaika.

Oh, and the MBS site has some kind of a production blog going on: http://cgi.mbs.co.jp/fixf/bbs_log/00ayakashi.html
Old 2006-08-12, 00:11   Link #19
wao
OK.

Actually, since 4 of the 5 characters listed are guys, the image of Yaranaika is EVEN stronger now
Old 2006-09-05, 17:31   Link #20
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

This spread was in the latest NewType. Anyone case to translate?

BTW, I was recently rewatching Juuni Kokki (an excellent series if there ever was one) and got by a cultural reference that put "ayakashi" as a "mythical creature or phantom". Something to do with Japanese/Chinese mythology, I gather.
Closed Thread