AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-07-10, 09:58   Link #21
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

My 2 pennies, I'm with jedinat here, I think CCL is plain crap, I read something like 15 chapters and just couldn't get into it and there I was thinking it's got a interesting premise and whole load of stuff I like but no to put it simlpy, it's crap.

but most of the stuff MamoruUsagi mentioned is not bad, altho I'm also not a big fan of Mars, altho I know it's liked by alot of people.
I'd give a nod to Highschool Debut, Sand Chronicles and Kare Kano. Highschool Debut is my all time fav shoujo so I highly recommened that.
If you want to go by wants on OM, then try Kaichou wa Maid-sama!, Kimi ni Todoke, and Akuma to Love Song.

I just noticed in an earlier post you think Maison Ikkoku as a shoujo, thats wrong, it's seinen and is a very good story, also higly recommended.
Old 2010-07-10, 14:33   Link #22
Sin of Memories
あなたが忘れられない

Send a message via AIM to Sin of Memories Send a message via MSN to Sin of Memories Send a message via Yahoo to Sin of Memories
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonta Kun View Post
My 2 pennies, I'm with jedinat here, I think CCL is plain crap, I read something like 15 chapters and just couldn't get into it and there I was thinking it's got a interesting premise and whole load of stuff I like but no to put it simlpy, it's crap.

but most of the stuff MamoruUsagi mentioned is not bad, altho I'm also not a big fan of Mars, altho I know it's liked by alot of people.
I'd give a nod to Highschool Debut, Sand Chronicles and Kare Kano. Highschool Debut is my all time fav shoujo so I highly recommened that.
If you want to go by wants on OM, then try Kaichou wa Maid-sama!, Kimi ni Todoke, and Akuma to Love Song.

I just noticed in an earlier post you think Maison Ikkoku as a shoujo, thats wrong, it's seinen and is a very good story, also higly recommended.
I have heard good things about Akuma to Love Song and Maid-sama.

Last edited by Sin of Memories; 2010-07-10 at 16:41.
Old 2010-07-10, 15:51   Link #23
MamoruUsagi

Instead of saying a series is crap or bad, you could say that their are parts of it you don't think were done well, clearly if a series touches someone or reaches someone in some way it's not crap. You can call any manga crap. Now, there are series that are crap, any storyline which has the whole, guy walks in on girl naked and she slaps him rinse and repeat formula is crap, but any series with an intriuging storyline that touches someone is clearly not 'crap', it may have areas that could be improved, but clearly has things people like.

I like Yuu Watase's stuff a lot. Yes, there are areas which could be improved upon, but they captivate me and entertain me. Yes, there are a lot of cliches, but the storylines, relationships, couples, plots and characters are so great and have so much excitement, passion, heart, excitement, romance and character, that I forgive all the flaws. I find them enjoyable, romantic and entertaining and that makes up for it. I know what people are talking about when they mention the cliches, but if a series is enjoyable and touching, then you can look past the other stuff. It's weird, I like the series a lot, but I can totally see what parts of it would bug some people.

Glad you enjoy High School Debut, I like it a lot as well, the relationship is so sweet and real and touching.

The Devil Does Exist is probably one of my favorite romance manga ever. It's interesting, romantic and touching. The couple's relationship is mature, it's serious and touching without being cheesy, over the top or mushy. There's also no comedy or cliche's and the couple and characters are so relatable and lovable. No one could ever call it crap because it's just awesome.

Mars, too, excellent serious, real romance, one of my favorites.

These two are at the top, the most epic.

The problem I had with Maison Ikkoku is it takes too long to go anywhere, it has it's moments, but there's a lot of repetetive, wasted things that I don't have the patience for. It's interesting, I really like the soap opera Melrose Place, the first season of it was a lot like Maison Ikkoku and it was on the verge of being canceled and then they spiced it up and it continued for seven seasons. It's interesting how American shows and Japanese ones can have similar premises.

I have difficulty writing clearly and saying what I want on paper, it's part of a series of further learning disabilities that suck that somehow block my ability to take the thoughts from my brain and organize it on paper. It takes a lot longer for me to write something that makes sense than for most people, unfortunately. So I end up writing way too much detail, repeating the same thing in three different ways, or writing things that don't have a lot of quality. Which ends up in a message that has good spelling and vocabulary, but poor content and doesn't get to the point, which sucks. People have no idea how much it sucks not to be able to write like everyone else and really take that for granted.
Old 2010-07-10, 15:59   Link #24
woodearth
Ramen Hunter

Any series out there with the deep, serious shoujo style plots but with shounen style art? Series by Seo Kouji comes the closest but still no cigar - primarily because of the male protagonist.
Old 2010-07-10, 16:26   Link #25
Sin of Memories
あなたが忘れられない

Send a message via AIM to Sin of Memories Send a message via MSN to Sin of Memories Send a message via Yahoo to Sin of Memories
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamoruUsagi View Post
Instead of saying a series is crap or bad, you could say that their are parts of it you don't think were done well, clearly if a series touches someone or reaches someone in some way it's not crap. You can call any manga crap. Now, there are series that are crap, any storyline which has the whole, guy walks in on girl naked and she slaps him rinse and repeat formula is crap, but any series with an intriuging storyline that touches someone is clearly not 'crap', it may have areas that could be improved, but clearly has things people like.

I like Yuu Watase's stuff a lot. Yes, there are areas which could be improved upon, but they captivate me and entertain me. Yes, there are a lot of cliches, but the storylines, relationships, couples, plots and characters are so great and have so much excitement, passion, heart, excitement, romance and character, that I forgive all the flaws. I find them enjoyable, romantic and entertaining and that makes up for it. I know what people are talking about when they mention the cliches, but if a series is enjoyable and touching, then you can look past the other stuff. It's weird, I like the series a lot, but I can totally see what parts of it would bug some people.

Glad you enjoy High School Debut, I like it a lot as well, the relationship is so sweet and real and touching.

The Devil Does Exist is probably one of my favorite romance manga ever. It's interesting, romantic and touching. The couple's relationship is mature, it's serious and touching without being cheesy, over the top or mushy. There's also no comedy or cliche's and the couple and characters are so relatable and lovable. No one could ever call it crap because it's just awesome.

Mars, too, excellent serious, real romance, one of my favorites.

These two are at the top, the most epic.

The problem I had with Maison Ikkoku is it takes too long to go anywhere, it has it's moments, but there's a lot of repetetive, wasted things that I don't have the patience for. It's interesting, I really like the soap opera Melrose Place, the first season of it was a lot like Maison Ikkoku and it was on the verge of being canceled and then they spiced it up and it continued for seven seasons. It's interesting how American shows and Japanese ones can have similar premises.

I have difficulty writing clearly and saying what I want on paper, it's part of a series of further learning disabilities that suck that somehow block my ability to take the thoughts from my brain and organize it on paper. It takes a lot longer for me to write something that makes sense than for most people, unfortunately. So I end up writing way too much detail, repeating the same thing in three different ways, or writing things that don't have a lot of quality. Which ends up in a message that has good spelling and vocabulary, but poor content and doesn't get to the point, which sucks. People have no idea how much it sucks not to be able to write like everyone else and really take that for granted.
I never ment that they were crap as I only read one. You posted the same things 3 times. I really am sorry that I came across that way and everyone thought the same... I just got annoyed because it seemed the same thing posted over and over again. Currently I am checking out your other manga to see how they are. If they do not grab me and suck me in, then I just deem that manga boring but not crap. It is like when you write a term paper, you got to write it so the audience does not get bored and some manga are directed at a certain audience. To me, Ceres Celestial Legend just didn't capture me. :/ But since legend was the first shojo I read it left me with a bad feel about the genre, but I will not make a judgement basted on a single manga because that is wrong.

Please forgive my rudeness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat View Post
That manga is just crap. In fact anything by that mangaka (Watase Yuu) is crap.
I would not rate a mangaka's work as crap. They really work hard to write their stories just some have an issue gripping the attention their readers. Legend did that and I got bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodearth View Post
Any series out there with the deep, serious shoujo style plots but with shounen style art? Series by Seo Kouji comes the closest but still no cigar - primarily because of the male protagonist.
I am looking for a good romance overall so a shounen style art is not really needed per se.

Last edited by Sin of Memories; 2010-07-10 at 16:49.
Old 2010-07-10, 16:43   Link #26
Sin of Memories
あなたが忘れられない

I have started to read Kaichou wa Maid-sama! and I like it ^_^ Keep em coming guys.

Also, MamoruUsagi, later tonight I will check out all the ones you listed and get back to you em. Out of all the ones there, there should at least be some I like. You hard work will not go to waste.

Kare Kano looks promising and I think I may end up like it. The others I just checked on mangaupdates (some were not there so I need to do some more research) and I am not sure if I will like them....

Last edited by Sin of Memories; 2010-07-10 at 18:16.
Old 2010-07-10, 19:38   Link #27
MamoruUsagi

Soap: I'm sorry, my message wasn't directed at you at all, your post was completely appropriate, I'm sorry, I misread a post I was just talking about jedinat's post about labeling certain series as 'crap'. There is nothing wrong with jedinat's post, his opinions are very amusing and entertaining and have a lot of truth to them, but it was just a post in general, a lot of people label series as 'crap' that authors wrote and while a lot of series do have cliches and weaknesses and annoying and repetetive plot devices and characters and dialogue, they do have a lot of positive attributes that are usually tossed aside and ignored when others label a work as 'crap'. I find contraversal opinions very entertaining and enjoyable and more interesting than the usual positive dribble given by young fans 'This series is sooo awesome!! I love it!' who don't offer insight, opinions and take everything at face value, however, instead of saying a series is crap, it's so much more powerful to say which parts of the series they find weak, then it's more powerful and taken more seriously and the opinion has more value and while fans may not agree with the overall opinion, they will agree with the points and facts stated by the person, because those are irrefutable. Saying specific things you don't like about a series is much more powerful than saying it's a bad series. Just like saying good things about a series is better than saying 'OMG this is the best series evarr!

I personally love Watase's series a lot.

You don't have to look at any of my suggestions if you don't want to, this topic is about you and serving you and your post was not at all inappropriate, my post was. I misread a different post, the post that said my suggestions were all not bad, I didn't see the not and got confused, heh. Misunderstanding, sorry. I need to stop causing trouble. *embarrassed* Sorry about this, hee. Back to topic.

Last edited by MamoruUsagi; 2010-09-05 at 13:34.
Old 2010-07-10, 22:26   Link #28
Sin of Memories
あなたが忘れられない

Nope your good. ^_^ I too like to hear why a series was good or bad that is why on any manga (or anime for that matter) I read reviews and see what someone thinks about them. I also look at MangaUpdates to see how they are.

Okay please back on top guys
Old 2010-07-10, 23:41   Link #29
Falkor

Toradora! (thread at AS) Romance-Comedy in the strict sense of the word. one of my favorite titles in the category. loved the artwork, loved the story, and loved it more than the anime.

Bakuman, maybe? (thread at AS) some bits of romance/comedy but the story is not centered in those aspects.

Happy NegativeMarriage (B-U link) and Nana to Kaoru (thread at AS) by AMAZUME Ryuta. the first one I'm not sure where it's going but the second one is about BDSM. :P the two have bits of romance/comedy.

Natsu no Zenjitsu (B-U link)

if you don't mind reading something mature, I would recommend Natsu no Zenjitsu by YOSHIDA Motoi (of Koi Kaze fame). I try to be careful when I recommend this title because it contains sex scenes that are a somewhat explicit. I'm personally not very fond of those scenes, but they certainly add a sense of depth and maturity to the work. the artwork is "rough" and very expressive, with lots of cross-hatching, which I haven't seen done so well as in here, and it certainly enhances the very unique and mature aspects of the manga. the characters are complex and the relationship, if anything, is a mature one---and is depicted as such. only 5 chapters have been scanlated, but this College Student X Older Woman relationship in an Art School Setting is not something you will see very often.

finally, I recommend two of my favorite romance manga by AKIZUKI Sorata: Akagami no Shirayukihime (thread at AS) and Seishun Kouryakuhon (B-U link). if you don't like either one of them, don't say anything. you will hurt my feelings if you describe them with any of the words you have used in this thread.
Old 2010-07-11, 00:53   Link #30
Sin of Memories
あなたが忘れられない

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falkor View Post
Toradora! (thread at AS) Romance-Comedy in the strict sense of the word. one of my favorite titles in the category. loved the artwork, loved the story, and loved it more than the anime.

Bakuman, maybe? (thread at AS) some bits of romance/comedy but the story is not centered in those aspects.

Happy NegativeMarriage (B-U link) and Nana to Kaoru (thread at AS) by AMAZUME Ryuta. the first one I'm not sure where it's going but the second one is about BDSM. :P the two have bits of romance/comedy.

Natsu no Zenjitsu (B-U link)

if you don't mind reading something mature, I would recommend Natsu no Zenjitsu by YOSHIDA Motoi (of Koi Kaze fame). I try to be careful when I recommend this title because it contains sex scenes that are a somewhat explicit. I'm personally not very fond of those scenes, but they certainly add a sense of depth and maturity to the work. the artwork is "rough" and very expressive, with lots of cross-hatching, which I haven't seen done so well as in here, and it certainly enhances the very unique and mature aspects of the manga. the characters are complex and the relationship, if anything, is a mature one---and is depicted as such. only 5 chapters have been scanlated, but this College Student X Older Woman relationship in an Art School Setting is not something you will see very often.

finally, I recommend two of my favorite romance manga by AKIZUKI Sorata: Akagami no Shirayukihime (thread at AS) and Seishun Kouryakuhon (B-U link). if you don't like either one of them, don't say anything. you will hurt my feelings if you describe them with any of the words you have used in this thread.

Hm... I will have to check those out other than Bakuman seeing as I am already reading and waiting for the next chapter ^_^

Thanks for the suggestions.

Oi my list is FREAKING HUGE now.... e-e Meh keep em comming.

Also, so far I love Kaichou Wa Maid-Sama!. It is so freaking funny ^_^ The plot itself in a way is interesting and to me it does not seem to be clichéd on some things. Currently I am on chapter 9 going onto 10 as we speak.

If I do make a comment on any manga in the future I will be sure to make sure tha t I am mindful of others and since you asked nicely I will not comment on the those two. Although after reading the summary (or what I call the pretense), they seem very interesting Hm....
+ rep for you my good sir
Old 2010-07-19, 23:14   Link #31
Sin of Memories
あなたが忘れられない

Any more suggestions?