AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-01-01, 02:41   Link #421
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
Volumes 1 to 4 were almost completely adapted. The last episode, though, is a travesty that takes a bit of volume 5 and 6 and adds original material, making a freaking mess of everything that was great about those two volumes.

Overall though, I really liked the series. I just don't like the last episode.
Agrees. This is precisely why I didn't like the last episode. (Although I also didn't like how they cut a fair bit of volume 4 (I think) out...that was some exposition/character development I would have liked to see...)

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-01, 04:28   Link #422
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

My expectation for the last episode were low, yet I still ended up disappointed. Specifically, what disappointed me was the craptastic way they wrapped up the Amamizukan storyline. They first completely nullified last week's cliffhanger (was it possible to guess those guys had the wrong house? Maybe it'd my fault for not paying enough attention last week), than they had Chieko's twin mom come in at the very last minute (it's not even a figure of speech, it really happened during the last minute) to tell them she's not planning to sell anymore. This left me with a bad aftertaste.

Thankfully, the rest of the episode was very good. I immensely enjoyed the fashion show and the Kuranosuke x Tsukimi scenes. Kura's declaration that they are now linked by fate was so sweet (especially with him blushing!). On the other hand, I'm really hating what they did to Shu. Maybe that's because Inari hasn't been very developed.

Despite the underwhelming last few episodes, Kuragehime remains one of my favorite series this year. A shame the scanlations of the manga are behind the anime, I would have picked it up in a heartbeat. I'm also hoping for the anime to get a second season of course, but I have no illusions... there is little chance of that happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
Volumes 1 to 4 were almost completely adapted. The last episode, though, is a travesty that takes a bit of volume 5 and 6 and adds original material, making a freaking mess of everything that was great about those two volumes.

Overall though, I really liked the series. I just don't like the last episode.
You got me curious: what was the original material in this episode?
Old 2011-01-01, 11:48   Link #423
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

I actually quite like the last episode. Didn't feel rushed, and it had a nice sense of closure about it. Sure more then anything i'd love a second season, though this end works as such where if one didn't happen, it would be alright.

Fantastic show overall, as i've been saying for many weeks. Humor was really good, and the one problem i had with the series (the sisters at the beginning) didn't last long. Show was totally worth it for Kuranosuke, my crush of 2010 :3.

Sucks that the soundtrack isn't being released until the 26th of this month. Easily my second best Yoshimori Makoto score behind Natsume Yuujinchou.
Old 2011-01-01, 15:05   Link #424
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Honestly I have mixed feelings on the ending, which makes it a bit of a letdown.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-01, 15:26   Link #425
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

I guess it all comes down to what you expect from an ending. Look at where the story is at episode 10, and knowing that there's more manga material, the last episode we did get was pretty expected. Shame i'm one of the only ones here who really enjoyed it though.
Old 2011-01-01, 17:39   Link #426
achirist

Well, this definitely isn't a real conclusion to the story, and the end of the amamaizican storyline was not satisfying. Still, it was a great series. I wonder if the girl with the afro is actually a lesbian, after seeing the hints of romance with that fashion girl. I only want a second (etc) season so long as they actually animate the finale of the manga, when that comes along.
Old 2011-01-01, 20:24   Link #427
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I liked this show, but to be honest, it seemed to lose steam about halfway through its run, for me. I have defended the nunz, but ended up feeling they were a bit thin as characters. And as for romance, this pace of building relationships would fit better in a longer series. All that having been said, however, this was still one of the best shows of the season.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-01, 22:07   Link #428
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

This whole series just seem hurried they should of made it at less 13 but it would of been better if it was a full 26 there needs to be anther season here
Old 2011-01-03, 00:58   Link #429
Echoes

I share the opinion voiced by many here; the ending came too soon. There were too many things left open. While I'm not familiar with the source material in any way, this seems to be begging for another season. It wasn't *that* bad at all; but considering how good the rest of the show was, I hoped for more.

I thought this was a very good show overall, though. Originality all the way through, great voicework and music, and a really fun cast of characters. Kuranosuke makes me question my sexuality; he's that awesome.
Old 2011-01-03, 10:06   Link #430
Ahiru77
あひる

It's relevant.....Tsukimi's nightmare ?
Ahiru77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-04, 18:45   Link #431
CWW
Lurker

They should have made a reel replacing the ED like in Nodame. We still don't know what's going to happen with Shu and Inari! What was the point of them if they're going to cockblock us like this?!!

Will Shu ever lose his virginity? Inquiring minds need to know!
CWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-05, 08:19   Link #432
LotsOfLaughs
I know. I'm lame.

I'm really shocked that it's the final episode already. I mean, so many unsolved questions...

They should have an OVA/ second season of this.
LotsOfLaughs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-05, 11:40   Link #433
Wakan Tanka

To sum up, I really enjoyed this show, each episode was hilarious, every one was obsessed even the normal people, not to mention how hot the cross-dressing was. There are still some many plotholes, there's no helping, they wanna make anime-viewers read the manga.
Old 2011-01-08, 00:40   Link #434
Falkor

episode 11 - "we are bound by fate"

I will miss Kuragehime a lot. I really hope there's a second season to this, but I can't get my hopes up. I get the feeling we are not even half way through the story.

I will remember Kuragehime not only for its great comedy and characters, but also because of Kana Hanazawa's performance. Last episode was a nice reminder of how much I have come to like both her voice and work on this show.

Tsukimi is perhaps one my favorite females of this year that has gone by. I can identify with her character the most; her strong interest in jellyfish or her shyness are aspects I too have. I think she's changed, though subtly, throughout the course of the show. Meeting Kuranosuke and the way her life has been taking sudden turns at each curve are testament of this change. Tsukimi is slowly discovering that she can put her mind to something she likes and be appreciated for who she is. The white dress is a representation/materialization of the jellyfish that has set in her mind, but also embodies this idea of doing something for herself (and others), while remaining an otaku. Tsukimi too is a jellyfish princess.

Tsukimi and Kuranosuke not only share a lot of chemistry together, but also many aspects of their lives. They basically complement each other shortcomings and relate to each other in very significant ways. I would like to say that the line "we are bound by fate" perfectly describes what this relationship has been about. He can make anyone look like a beauty, even Tsukimi; and she can create any dress he wants by projecting her jellyfish feelings. They both have a strong attachment to their respective mother, which has defined their likes and dislikes, their current interests and goals. "we are bound by fate" not only says something about Kuranosuke and Tsukimi, and the way they both have come to interact and support each other ever since their first meeting, but also foreshadows the importance this relationship will still have into the future, for her and him.

Kuragehime was built around these two, but also had a large cast of charming supporting characters who added an endless fun to the show. That too, I will remember. I get the feeling there's still so much to see from this work, from these characters. But this has been truly one of my favorite shows of the past year.
Falkor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-13, 12:27   Link #435
JKL
Kyuuketsuki

Good series this despite the ending. I expected that though. What with only 11 episodes? Come on!
JKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-18, 18:26   Link #436
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
REVIEW TIME

Ah, so close and yet so far. This show began as something yelling masterpiece and in the second half turned into simply a funny way to spend your time. But I got to hand it to Noitamina; they have their way of making even a simple story to look exciting.

The story is quite simple actually. It is about an old apartment building where a group of geek women in their 30’s spend their lives doing their geeky hobbies and running away from anything that has to do with cosmetics, posing, beauticians, and general anything that has to do with making you look hippy. That is the core theme of the show actually; the beauty we all hide inside us. It is quite a refreshing take I must say as 99.99% of anime have protagonists that are uber beautiful girls, ultra handsome boys or ridiculously cute children. This show is the only one I can remember in the latest years that didn’t attract me with sexy or moe characters but with the premise of NOT being all that. It’s not like the characters are ugly as hell but I for once was never attracted to their bodies. And what makes it even funnier is how the core theme IS ABOUT BEAUTY.

Another thing is the otaku culture aspect of the show. It is not so much about anime as it is about old movies and retro series only someone well versed to what was going on decades ago will get. So although all the women in it are otakus, they are not the anime type. One adores traditional Japanese dolls, another one adores trains, others old people, the Romance of the Three Kingdoms lore or jellyfish. And guess what; IT IS EQUALLY CREEPY. Also, unlike today’s state where even otakus have large communities, their hobbies are not accepted by many (none else for all we see in the show) and thus it is not as if they can go find some group to feel just like home. They are as isolated from the rest of the “normals” as otakus were up until 20 years ago. So it not the same as in other shows like Genshiken or Ore no Imouto.

Yet another thing about this isolation part is their anti-social behaviour. Acting quite agoraphobic (but not as severe as hikikomoris; although there is one of those present as well) half the main problem of the show is dealing with the outside world. They are afraid of normal people, their modern fashion, make ups, office suits; heck they are afraid of working. It has a vibe familiar with Welcome to the NHK in this regard; which makes it interesting as there aren’t many shows dealing with the subject.

So basically this is a show about people who are afraid to face the modern world, who have a very low esteem of themselves, who are all isolated in their lonely hobbies, eating away their lives in some crummy apartment, still living off their parents’ allowance or doing minor chores for the local market. Sounds like a terrible kind of people to like; isn’t it? Well, not exactly as the show makes it clear that they are simply afraid to tap into their real potential, because of the very negative image they have about themselves. It also makes sure to point out how they keep blaming everybody else in a way that clearly frames them in the end. So no, it’s not trying to advertise how cool it is to love trains while being locked in your room for 10 years. It is not deifying any hobby like Ore no Imouto did with eroge or YuGiOh did with card games. It is the exact opposite.

The conflict of the story is basically a redevelopment plan issued by some politicians, which involves tearing down their apartment to make a hotel. The sons of one of them are indirectly involved in the lives of the women, as well as the schemes of a Black-widow type of woman, who uses her sexuality and really dirty tricks to have her way. Basically, the villains are the rich folks and this woman with her cheap entrapment skills. The thing is, the women in the apartment are passive and inactive; it takes the son of the politicians to get them to shape. Who is also another thing I liked.

Kuranosuke is the dreamy pretty boy of all corny romances. Rich, handsome, outgoing, cheery, and above all feminine-looking (why women love this shit is beyond my knowledge; pseudo-lesbianism just doesn’t cut it enough). Women are chasing after him and even fight one another for his affection. And this is why he got so fed up in all that, he now cross-dresses. Before you think anything weird, I will clarify he is completely straight and has done the jiggy-wiggy with girls a thousand times already. He doesn’t dress like a woman because he got bored of being male but because he wants to disguise as something women won’t chase after. He even finds that geeky apartment full of women stuck in the past and isolated from the world as his ideal haven. So he has all the reason to help them raise money or be active in order to protect their life style… which ironically means to change their life style.

Indeed, all the measures the women need to take because of his advises have to do with “fighting fire with fire”, becoming active, dressing fashionable or interacting with people in order to get support and raise money. All again are not deified in the show and that is what makes it so good. There is no “fashion clothes are cool” moral message, neither is “money and sex appeal move the world”. It is all closer to “make use of what you are good at in order to protect your life style and at times be willing to compromise a little”. It all makes perfect sense and in fact, half the times they actually fail to do it right. It’s not like in those endless stupid teen movies where the complete dorky rookies beat the snobby elites in their own game or something.

Which leads back to the “beauty” aspect of the show. Each woman is really good at something and all they are doing to help themselves is using their talent as their own personal beauty in the same way the black-widow is using her sexuality to have her way. They do need to occasionally dress as their hated enemies, the hipsters, but they never forget who they really are… and practically never change.

This is a thing that will feel bad for most as character development is close to zero for the entire cast. We get to learn a lot about them, especially Tsukimi since the story is shown through her perspective. But by the end of it, nothing has really changed for them. The conflict seems to have passed like a breeze and they are all back to their initial selves, something that will not feel right and practically does count as a major negative. No real romance is resolved, no real life changing events take place, no buildings collapse. It’s as if we watch an established lifestyle defending itself before going back to how it was. It kind of reminds me of another anime, the Wallflower; where these bishounens were trying to beautify this creepy girl with also low self esteem and again by the end of the show NOTHING had changed at all. The themes were of course far simpler and the story even more invisible but the lack of progress in a show about beauty is just infuriating.

This is where the anime failed to be a real masterpiece for me. It does offer some sort of fairy tale ending, where evil is vanished and the world is as happy as it was in the beginning… without the prince marrying the peasant girl. Which is a shame; there were many interesting sub plots going around and none led to anything. All the women remain the same two-dimensional cardboards, repeating nothing but stuff that have to do only with their narrow-minded hobby; it can eventually tire anyone. I know many don’t mind characters being the same caricatures all they in comedies; nobody complains why Gintama or Son Goku never smarten up. Yet in this case the rather realistic setting was made in a way to expect development.

Artistically speaking, the show is excellent as everything is made to look eye catchy without being sexy or moe. It has its moments where it does go to those territories but not for a moment I cared about how cute or erotic they are; it is all nothing compared to why and how they do it. Where it is really good is how it visualizes the emotions of everyone; from how they turn to stone because of anxiety, to making tributes to other shows, to having dream states of abstract backgrounds. Voice acting is equally great, each having a distinctive and funny or serious tone when it needs to be. The soundtrack is weird and different, quite successful in taking you in the mood of the show.

Story and characters are good only in theory. We have many interesting personalities and life situations that require lots of willpower and talent to get through, all with rather reasonable realism. Unfortunately, the lack of development for the characters, and the completely easy way all problems were resolved and life went back to normal, really felt bad as an aftertaste. I mean, NHK also had a simple ending but after the sometimes life threatening events the characters faced, you felt a lot closer to them even if they didn’t change a lot. Here, everything goes away like a calm ocean stream. It’s just not memorable.

It is a very enjoyable show; far above the average anime and its tired copy-pasted formulas. Its themes are great, the visuals are fine, and the characters are funny and dramatic. It will please most of us but the chances of rewatching it or remembering it for years to come is questionable because of its refusal to end with a bang … or a marriage, a murder, a turn around and generally something to say it wasn’t all for nay. I wasn’t expecting the ending of an ugly duckling turning to a swan but I sure didn’t like Cinderella going back to her cabin and dusting ash even after her prince helped her wear the glass heel.

Animation: 9
Sound: 9
Story: 5
Character: 6
Value: 4
Enjoyment: 8
Overall: 7/10
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-18, 19:11   Link #437
Forsaken_Infinity

I caught up and finished this just now. It was pretty good and I don't particularly dislike the last episode although I can definitely see why some would. My only real complaint regarding the show is that the rest of the nuns really lacked character, or rather, character development. They were just what they were when we first saw them. But then again, they were never supposed to take the focus and this show did what it focused on very well. Really really loved the premier four characters. And the open ending is fine in my book although I would have appreciated something of a closure on Shu's end too.
Forsaken_Infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-31, 10:30   Link #438
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Just came across this today and I think it's a pretty cool idea, too bad the dresses will probably be super expensive.
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-10, 19:28   Link #439
DidCart

Anyone knows something about the supposed OVA/OAD?
DidCart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-12, 00:59   Link #440
Whitemoon648
Sawa-Chan <3 <3 <3

Great anime overall. I enjoyed it. I thought maybe this anime would have been much better if it had one or two more episodes though. I have only seen the anime, but still was very interested to see how they will end this one.

I felt the anime was wrapped up very quickly and felt a bit rushed. But still liked the ending. I think it was managed well considering it was 11 episodes only.

For It's genre i personally give it 8.5-9/10. In terms of my own enjoyment 8 ish/10.

I might pick up the Manga later .

Tags
josei, noitamina, romance