*Graphic Designer

Ep 2...

Spoiler for zombies:

Bagels, lol.
Sonhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-11, 10:01   Link #43
wao
OK.

Wow, Akira sure looks like Kurau. I like that design very much! It makes me want to watch the second episode....

...almost. I think I ultimately will hold off watching Reideen, even if whatshisname main character is quite my cup of tea and it has the potential to be interesting enough in its own way. I guess despite the relatively high quality of production there's something about it that doesn't sit with me. I had it with IGPX (someone remind me why I watched all of that),...

No wait, I just remembered - the guy behind episode 18 of Chevalier and the 3rd OP of Blood+ is the animation director for episode 5! No guarantee it'll turn out anything like either of the two, but I'll be damned if I don't watch it. Damn you I.G., tempting brainless sakuga freaks like me!
Old 2007-03-11, 10:13   Link #44
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao View Post
No wait, I just remembered - the guy behind episode 18 of Chevalier and the 3rd OP of Blood+ is the animation director for episode 5! No guarantee it'll turn out anything like either of the two, but I'll be damned if I don't watch it. Damn you I.G., tempting brainless sakuga freaks like me!
Naoyoshi Shoitani? Cool, perhaps he can inject some life into the direction ~ which is the weakest part of the first two eps, everything else is top notch production wise. Speaking of sakuga, the bit in the hospital with the...
Spoiler for ep2:
...was rather well done, even though it's sadly all too brief, with some nice attention to detail (Junki losing his slippers) and camera angles and such.
Old 2007-03-11, 10:20   Link #45
wao
OK.

I owe it to you for making me lose more time than I already do, Sonhex... /me mutters and grabs episode 2 to see what Sonhex is talking about (I figure I'll only watch it next week though, I still have Iroha 22, TMGK 9 and the 2nd half of Flag to go through!)

And well, going by the typical role of an animation director I actually doubt he'll have much impact on the episode in terms of direction and content, which is why I said there's no guarantee it'll turn out as great as those two things I mentioned... but still, he's a name I'm definitely looking out for so I'd love to see how he does things.

That's the impression I got from episode 1 too, it really needed life injected into it. It felt very clinical... just like IGPX, too.
Old 2007-03-11, 18:46   Link #46
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Normally, i'm not a fan of such mecha show but i ll give it a shot (hell, i finished Rahxephon for some unknown reason). While i love I.G for GitS, there's a bunch of their other series that didnt quite hook me in than i thought they would(i.e Blood+, Chevalier)
Old 2007-03-12, 08:38   Link #47
kabuto243

Send a message via AIM to kabuto243
Where are you finding the episodes to download? Since I've been looking and have no luck so far.
kabuto243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-12, 12:03   Link #48
SuperAsuradaGundam

Send a message via AIM to SuperAsuradaGundam
Saw the first two episodes and it seems very different compared to most mech anime because:

-The action was more like Ultraman, Godzilla, and Super Sentai monster/mech battles in which the action is more slow paced com[ared to shows like Gundam, SRW, etc...

-I'll admit, there seemed to be very little going on for the show and many similarites with Rahxephon (I know Raxhephon was inspired form the origianl Reideen), however the mech battles reminds me of Shadow of the Colossus for the PS2.
SuperAsuradaGundam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-12, 16:54   Link #49
zalem

While it's very pretty to look at, I find the slow pace of the battle scenes kind of irritating. Alas, I'm used to Gundam battles or more recently Code Geass Knightmare Frame battles. I like my mecha battles to be fast paced. The bow was pretty nifty though. Do hope they quicken up the battles scenes a bit.

Also agree that the series seems to be missing something. Not sure what, but maybe it will improve with time. I'll probably keep watching for now.
Old 2007-03-13, 09:25   Link #50
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

I don't think that they are aiming for Gundam speed. Linky.
Old 2007-03-13, 16:27   Link #51
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
I don't think that they are aiming for Gundam speed. Linky.
Interesting article, thanks for the link

I don't think the problem is with the decision to opt for slo-mo for the mecha (in fact it makes sense that such huge machinery would move that slow) but with Hongo's direction. He's just not very adventurous or dynamic. Sure he's very experienced but his direction is 'workman-like' or as wao said 'clinical'. Okay it's solid enough, there's certainly nothing amateurish about his work but it feels mostly uninspired. In fact this is the same issue I have with Deltora Quest - a show with reasonably high production values that feels sluggish because of the lacklustre direction (and some impoverished monster designs). Maybe Hongo's also spreading himself a bit thin with these two big projects...

Having said that I have quite a lot of interest in Reideen in general, especially now that Akira is splashed all over the OP and that there is some interestings plot developments underway.
Old 2007-03-13, 21:13   Link #52
Spirit Chicken!

Send a message via AIM to Spirit Chicken!
Huzzah did a good job on Ep 1 as far as the lot of things go....

But man, I don't know if I'll ever come to like the 3DCG mech trend. This is worse looking than Aquarion for pete's sake...why can't they just go more of a New Gaiking route?

Still, I'll see how this compares to the soon approaching release of the original Reideen...
Spirit Chicken! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-13, 21:21   Link #53
wao
OK.

To be honest, I'm not too warm about the whole 3D CG mech thing. Although it seems like the obvious route to go since it makes sense to animate objects like that in 3D, I guess I just like the look of hand-drawn mechs. They do take up a lot more manpower, I suppose so it's a bit of a selfish wish, but... dammit, they look better!

I think Gurenn-Lagann will have hand-drawn mechs, though, so if you're craving for some 2D mech action perhaps you could check that out.

And Sonhex is right. The slowness probably makes sense if they're aiming for realism - but there's something about the whole thing that simply doesn't stimulate the mind or get one excited. Come on, Hongo-san, I think you can do better than that...
Old 2007-03-13, 22:56   Link #54
zalem

True, true. I imagine huge robots like that IRL would be pretty slow. Still the slow battles end up being on the dull side. If they are really short, then they are tolerable, but I dread the day they have a long battle. Christ that will be rather boring.
Old 2007-03-14, 03:50   Link #55
vhx

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalem View Post
True, true. I imagine huge robots like that IRL would be pretty slow. Still the slow battles end up being on the dull side. If they are really short, then they are tolerable, but I dread the day they have a long battle. Christ that will be rather boring.
Yup, I'd imagine in IRL mechs would be really slow due to inertia, mass, weight, and various other factors. Nothing like Evangelion or Gundam, which is a shame. Lol.

TBH I kind of enjoyed this, the action isn't where I want it to be, but I am interested to know what happened to his father.
vhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-14, 17:07   Link #56
ZeusIrae
Loyal Haruhist.

Ok,I like the mecha fights.They are slow but absolutely majestic.You really feel the power.

And I like the character design too.It's an intresting show,I am going to watch it.
Old 2007-03-14, 20:29   Link #57
AvianWing
lol whut?

Send a message via MSN to AvianWing
While the mechas move very slowly in the first episode, I believe it will pick up as the series move on. The emphasis on the first battle is the sheer size of the giants and Junki's realization to the chain of unbelievable events that surround him.

I'll quote from Huzzah fansub. "I've always thought those stories about normal high schoolers fighting in their giant robots were fictional, only in manga. That it was impossible in reality. So why am I in this thing?!"

Great way to start things off. Instead of following the convention of suddenly being transfered into a mecha and whine about what to do, the director satirizes this cliche.

Based on the first episode, I believe most of the fighting will be done with projectiles. As Junki explores more of Reideen, the fighting will pick up.
AvianWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-15, 05:44   Link #58
ZODDGUTS

Okay I've checked out the first episode of this series and overall I like it yeah it gives off Rahxephon vibes which is a good thing.

Now the problem:

Quote:
While it's very pretty to look at, I find the slow pace of the battle scenes kind of irritating. Alas, I'm used to Gundam battles or more recently Code Geass Knightmare Frame battles. I like my mecha battles to be fast paced. The bow was pretty nifty though. Do hope they quicken up the battles scenes a bit.
Yes, the slooooooooooooooooooow battles bored me god I hope it's speed it up. I've seen Sentai shows Ultraman/Power Rangers/Godzilla? and like them but I wouldn't like to see slow battles like that in anime. Also the 3D/CG sorta feels out of place bad move for going the 3D/CG route over animation for the mecha.
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-15, 09:04   Link #59
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

The slow battles are boring as hell.
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-16, 14:13   Link #60
kauldron26
Med Student

wow... i thought u guys were exaggerating when talking about how slow the battles are... in ep 2 when he was about to fight that dog robot again, i actually went to do the dishes, and when i was done i didnt miss a damn thing... i guess i am dropping this.... but i do love the character designs tho... ~sigh~
kauldron26 is offline   Reply With Quote