AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-04-22, 14:22   Link #221
Rhyel
*Graphic Designer

Simple question: Who is Yuko? (Maybe What is...)

A God? A Witch?

To me she is much more than a witch, but not like a god or nothing divine.
Old 2008-04-22, 14:50   Link #222
FuzzyWuzzy

wishing well?
you throw in something so you can make a wish come true.
FuzzyWuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-22, 15:29   Link #223
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

A monkey's paw? A sex-changed Clow Leed?
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-22, 17:07   Link #224
Lycestra
feed me weird things
*Fansubber

I think Yuuko is human (or at least a passable mortal), but her understanding of the universe has put her in a position she can't escape from. Her flippant attitude around Watanuki is pretty much half a cover, half enjoying herself. Consider Watanuki's situation in episode 3. He's never been on his own, has no idea what he's up against, but he knows unconditionally that the situation is in his hands, because that's what the inevitable situation has come to. That call must be answered.
Yuuko may be in a similar situation, in that she can't (or shouldn't) fight the situation, she can only exist within the inevitability, living her life the way she is. Rising to meet her fate, rather than trying to change it. She may even be living to the utmost she can be, with possible repercussions in the future she deems worth it. Stretching the bounds that she is allowed.

It's also possible that Watanuki has such an existence in his future.

And the manga has something to say about the Yuuko/Clow link. Both CLAMP, so it's fairly deducible.

It all depends on how inevitable you consider Yuuko's own path to be, and how much she accepts it. I think for that reason I (and others) see some similarity with the Doctor (BBC's "Doctor Who"), with the exception that the Doctor doesn't personally seem to accept so much of our existences being controlled by implicit inevitability. (Ref: "Who am I to argue with history?" "You're usually the first in line." (grin's back), as well as his childhood reaction to the "untempered schism" (no spoilers here)) Like the Doctor, she's mortal, but sees things on a higher understanding ... "all that is, all that was, and all that ever could be."

My two cents on what she may be.
Lycestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-22, 17:21   Link #225
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhyel View Post

A God? A Witch?

Give her some credit. She isn't just a witch. She's a DIMENSIONAL witch.

That and she = goddess of sexy.

So... a dimensional goddess?

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-22, 19:46   Link #226
Lancaster
QED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagdPanther View Post
Give her some credit. She isn't just a witch. She's a DIMENSIONAL witch.

That and she = goddess of sexy.

So... a dimensional goddess?
Something tells me she would get along with Washu-chan.
Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-22, 22:33   Link #227
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancaster View Post
Something tells me she would get along with Washu-chan.
Probably very well.

Who would be Yuuko's Ryoko, though?

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-22, 23:23   Link #228
nanafan
horo fan

another good episode, every xxxholic is good to me. i love yuuko still not sure what she is, i think she is somewhat human but with powers, i guess
nanafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-23, 00:12   Link #229
beansprouts
五月天

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Why are people still thinking this? There's no way CLAMP would do something like that. They'll just leave the fans to play around with the thought, it'll never happen in the series.
It...was...a...joke....
beansprouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-23, 00:49   Link #230
Gromnir
Evil's evil twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhyel View Post

A God? A Witch?

from a practical standpoint it doesn't really matter. she is yoda or merlin. she is the blind monk who spouts platitudes and can kick your arse five different ways before you can say "fortune cookie." she is the enigmatic guide and teacher who has knowledge that seems to violate the laws of time and space, but ultimately her function is to prepare a chosen one.

perhaps, given her comments about inevitability, she is functionally a slave to her exigent shop. she is the will and the word. the shop is need and purpose.

i have never read the manga, and only have a cursory knowledge of the anime, but ultimately i hope we never get an answer to your question. whatever explanation the writers come up with could only serve to diminish the character. end the mystery and you kill some of the magic.

dts
Gromnir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-23, 06:40   Link #231
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beansprouts View Post
It...was...a...joke....
Sorry, it's just that i've heard fans for a few years go on about CLAMP doing that kind of ending. I'm pretty sick of it now.
Old 2008-04-23, 10:21   Link #232
Sorceresspol

Quote:
Sorry, it's just that i've heard fans for a few years go on about CLAMP doing that kind of ending. I'm pretty sick of it now.
Why? I mean I understand the frustration if it was a Naruto/Sasuke thing, but at least there is some basis for people's hopes of Watanuki and Doumeki ending up together. If there is a romance, I don't see it with Z-w or Himawari. They're sweet, but it ends up being one-sided one way or the other. Doumeki is always by Watanuki's side during important events in his life, the two bring out emotional responses in each other that you wouldn't expect from them, and I could go on except that would lead into manga territory.
Sorceresspol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-23, 10:24   Link #233
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

And it wouldn't be Clamp's first gay pairing.
Old 2008-04-23, 10:31   Link #234
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorceresspol View Post
Why? I mean I understand the frustration if it was a Naruto/Sasuke thing, but at least there is some basis for people's hopes of Watanuki and Doumeki ending up together. If there is a romance, I don't see it with Z-w or Himawari. They're sweet, but it ends up being one-sided one way or the other. Doumeki is always by Watanuki's side during important events in his life, the two bring out emotional responses in each other that you wouldn't expect from them, and I could go on except that would lead into manga territory.
Best friends is the type of realtionship they have, and for the perfect outcome it should stay that way --- especially when i look back and everything they've been through in this story.

Seriously, it would just destroy this story for me. & no it's not because they're both male, i have nothing at all against that, they just don't have those type of feelings for each other. I've never seen this series ending with a 'couple' at the end.
Old 2008-04-23, 12:09   Link #235
beansprouts
五月天

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
And it wouldn't be Clamp's first gay pairing.
I haven't read all of Clamps work, the only gay pairing I remember is Touya and Yukito in Cardcaptor Sakura. Read and watch the series such a long time ago that I can't even remember whether it was outright or just suggested in the end.

Chances are really slim that the Watanuki and Doumeki will become a gay pairing, with Watanuki as the main character, a little too much for fans perhaps, not everybody is accepting of such relationships. In CCS, the gay pairing were the side characters, though very popular ones.
beansprouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-23, 12:54   Link #236
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorceresspol
If there is a romance, I don't see it with Z-w or Himawari. They're sweet, but it ends up being one-sided one way or the other.
From what is shown so far, WatanukiXDoumeki can't even be called 'one-sided', much less reciprocated. That is, can we even say that Wantanuki-->Doumeki OR Doumeki--->Watanuki even exists romantically right now? They are as subtext as Watanuki's romantic relationship with Yuuko, or even loli-chan IIRC.

At the very least, Z-W-->Watanuki and Watanuki-->Himawari are stated explicitly in the story, and as such has much firmer foundations than other ships in canon since they have half of the equation present already.

So as far as I'm concerned, no other pairing with Watanuki is viable in canon until he falls out of love from Himawari. Watanuki, after all, is the protagonist of the story, and as such it's his feelings that counts for the purpose of predicting the final couple. And so far, all signs show that his feelings is bound to Himawari. Until the day that stops, all other ships are just wishful thinking that lies in the realm of fanon.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-23, 13:03   Link #237
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beansprouts View Post
I haven't read all of Clamps work, the only gay pairing I remember is Touya and Yukito in Cardcaptor Sakura. Read and watch the series such a long time ago that I can't even remember whether it was outright or just suggested in the end.

Chances are really slim that the Watanuki and Doumeki will become a gay pairing, with Watanuki as the main character, a little too much for fans perhaps, not everybody is accepting of such relationships. In CCS, the gay pairing were the side characters, though very popular ones.
There was... What was it called? Tokyo Babylon? Main characters were a gay couple and the sister on one of them. (That's what I read in Wikipedia. Didn't actually read it.)

The guys in TRC ran into a few gay couples too, like Ashura and whatshisface. I think I read something about homosexual couples in RG Veda, too.

As for the fans not being ready - they read Clamp, so I'd say they're ready... Also, the Japanese audience isn't the North American one. Or the West European. Or take your pick of an area that isn't Japan...
Old 2008-04-23, 13:07   Link #238
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
The guys in TRC ran into a few gay couples too, like Ashura and whatshisface. I think I read something about homosexual couples in RG Veda, too.
Ashura in Tsubasa Chronicle didn't have a gender, it was never stated. Most people say it was male because he is male in RG Veda.
Old 2008-04-23, 13:25   Link #239
Sorceresspol

Quote:
There was... What was it called? Tokyo Babylon? Main characters were a gay couple and the sister on one of them. (That's what I read in Wikipedia. Didn't actually read it.)

As for the fans not being ready - they read Clamp, so I'd say they're ready... Also, the Japanese audience isn't the North American one. Or the West European. Or take your pick of an area that isn't Japan...
That's why I was surprised by how some people think a Watanuki/Doumeki pairing is impossible. I thought everyone had at least heard of Tokyo Babylon by now because of the popularity of X. Maybe I'm just old.
Sorceresspol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-23, 13:41   Link #240
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Ashura in Tsubasa Chronicle didn't have a gender, it was never stated. Most people say it was male because he is male in RG Veda.
Was it ever stated that Doumeki is a boy? Maybe that pairing isn't homosexual after all!

Tags
seinen, supernatural