AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2008-05-24, 19:56   Link #241
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyougaElliot View Post
I just find these recent chapters absolutely unbearable.

Spoiler for Recent chapters:

Damn you!!!!

Well if it makes you feel any better, sometimes the first (important) enemy does sometimes eventually becomes an ally.

To make you feel slightly better, there is still one last Witch sister, as well as the Queen Witch herself. And personally, Eibon is just begging for a come back.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-24, 20:12   Link #242
Zoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
The moment you reach Christmas Eve, there's no stopping
This was a mistranslation, BTW. You find out later from Kid that the Anniversary Bash took place on April 1st.
Zoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-24, 20:18   Link #243
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
April fools day then...ideally they should have hosted it on halloween

And yes...thats the battle arc that I just can't stop reading...ahh need sleep >.>

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-24, 20:23   Link #244
Zoe

That's actually an interesting detail, both about the setting and the time frame of the manga.

If the anniversary is on April 1st, does that mean that they follow a Japanese system, despite being in Nevada and having mostly non-Japanese characters?

In chapter 1, Maka says it's the first day of school (back to school?). Would that put the start of the story in August/September or in January? (it doesn't feel likely that a full year passed to get to the party)
Old 2008-05-24, 20:38   Link #245
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoe View Post
This was a mistranslation, BTW. You find out later from Kid that the Anniversary Bash took place on April 1st.

...I got to ask then...

How the heck do you mistranslate "Christmas eve" ?
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-24, 20:42   Link #246
Zoe

Quote:
...I got to ask then...

How the heck do you mistranslate "Christmas eve" ?
The title of the arc is "Zenyasai no Shitou" -- "The Eve's Struggle to the Death" (where "eve" is some kind of celebratory eve). The problem is if you plug the Japanese into a dictionary, it spits out "Christmas Eve" as an example for "Zenyasai." That doesn't mean that's what it translates to though. In this case, it's the eve of the school's foundation.
Old 2008-05-24, 23:19   Link #247
TrueKnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen
Well if it makes you feel any better, sometimes the first (important) enemy does sometimes eventually becomes an ally.
This is why I like Soul Eater. Yesterday's enemy is today's ally, and tomorrow's enemy. Because as long they share the same enemy this concept will still be applicable. I also like how the 'bargaining' situation was played between Shinigami and Medusa. Watching them reminded me of the movies Syriana, Munich or the Good Shepperd involving Mossad, CIA, the US government and others. Mutual bargaining againts foes as long as it is profitable. Kinda like business.
TrueKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-24, 23:35   Link #248
orangejuicetang

It's like the saying, "The enemy of my enemy is my friend". It's quite common for two enemies to ally with each other to defeat an even bigger enemy. Just look at U.S. and U.S.S.R. during World War 2.
orangejuicetang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-25, 00:33   Link #249
Niu
YOU FACTORING HECTOPASCAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo Maxwell View Post
But don't you think this is also a reason she lied?
The way I would argue is, there is no need to. Medusa don't have to lie about being an insane psychotic evil bitch, because she IS one. Well, unless you actually think she is secretly pious and nice. And if she is trying to lie about being the same type of person as Stein, she would show some soft spot too (as Stein has plenty of soft spot), making herself more easy to relate to by Stein. And this also leads to my next point.

Quote:
Witch Pride.

It's not good to look like a softy in front of your enemy, considering the situation of their death match. Especially for a big bad witch like Medusa.
Showing she cares about Chrona might actually shaken Stein somewhat. It is clear that Stein, and Spirit too wants to believe she isn't that evil of a child abuser. Showing she has a soft spot can slow them down by playing into their expectation, and even if not Stein, it'll definitely work on Spirit. Showing she has a soft spot can make her more appear less threatening to her enemy and should be able to impress Stein a bit more. But she didn't, as she has no such soft spot at all, not even a fake one.
Plus, if Medusa really has a soft spot for Chrona, I see her even use that to her advantage and taunts with lines like "I lover Chrona, and the Chrona loves me too, are you really that heartless to separate us? Or would you admit to be as coldblooded as I am?"
Such words is most definitively going to dealt some psychological blow to both Stein and Spirit.

Oh and also, I never think Medusa have any sort of "right mind". Our insanity is her definition of normalcy.
Niu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-25, 06:24   Link #250
orangejuicetang

What about the part where Medusa was talking about the damage that Arachnophobia did to nature, making Soul question whether she was truely that cold-blooded? Because while she might have lied about that too, I really don't feel like she did in that particular context, since she really had no reason to lie, and I doubt she would be thinking every second about what words to say in order to gain their trust.
Old 2008-05-25, 10:54   Link #251
spaz

Shes still cold blooded though, like why would she get brew than suddenly give it to shibusen and work with them and everything, right after BJ was killed? Shes plotting something.
spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-26, 22:16   Link #252
Zoe

Can somebody confirm which volume has the Excalibur omake?

I was gonna try and wait and get a whole set at once, but I'm gonna be ordering a bunch of other stuff next week, so I might as well get that one now :\
Old 2008-05-26, 22:34   Link #253
Dann of Thursday
WHERE'S...MY...COW????

Is chapter 49 even out yet? I heard it was, but I can't find any trace of it whatsoever.

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, if you want to test a man's character give him power." - Abraham Lincoln
Dann of Thursday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-26, 22:43   Link #254
Zoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dann of Thursday View Post
Is chapter 49 even out yet? I heard it was, but I can't find any trace of it whatsoever.
In Chinese.

The magazine comes out on the 12th. 50 will probably be out before most people can read 49 x_x
Old 2008-05-26, 22:45   Link #255
Dann of Thursday
WHERE'S...MY...COW????

Oh, well that explains it. Thanks for the answer.

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, if you want to test a man's character give him power." - Abraham Lincoln
Old 2008-05-28, 10:10   Link #256
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

And with that, I've finally managed to catch up with the "latest" chapter (bar 48 and 49 >.>).

And wow...this really is a great series. I can't believe the amount of stuff that has happened.

Everyone is growing up so fast ;___;

And I'm starting to like Medusa more now though I know that it is only a fake front that she is putting up atm. Hopefully with the group's influence through life and death, she will become less of a villain.

Gah, I can't wait for the castle siege battle to start

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Old 2008-05-28, 10:40   Link #257
Dann of Thursday
WHERE'S...MY...COW????

I kind of like her role as a villain. I miss Free though.

I hope we see Asura make some sort of appearence in the future. The thing he has done really is leave his influence behind all over the world. I wonder what he is planning on doing.

Old 2008-05-28, 14:26   Link #258
ThoHell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dann of Thursday View Post
I kind of like her role as a villain. I miss Free though.

I hope we see Asura make some sort of appearence in the future. The thing he has done really is leave his influence behind all over the world. I wonder what he is planning on doing.
I would think so since his mere existence has a great significance on everything that contains darkness within their heart/or unstable sanity. Basically he is the embodiment of evil and they're trying to defeat the evil, so eventually down the road they will have to face him. I THINK I'M THINKING OF THE SAME PERSON YOU ARE, if not I got my villains confused.....

I get the feeling that Soul is going to snap one day and fight his friends. I just get that feeling, actually I hope for something like that. Would be interesting, also I wouldn't doubt it since it hinted to Soul having internal turmoil with the world.

Last edited by ThoHell; 2008-05-28 at 14:45.
ThoHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-28, 14:44   Link #259
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

I can only see Asura being the final boss in this if there will ever be an ending.

Maybe he will make the odd appearence here and there but I don't expect it to be long.

Soul's soul breaking is something I'm also expecting. I really hate that goblin thing inside his soul and I wish that he could have kicked him out already

I have to say that it is surprising to see that sid still plays quite an important role in this (and then you have to think about how he died >.>).

And if anything, I wish for the old Stein to be back ;__;

Old 2008-05-28, 15:35   Link #260
orangejuicetang

I also get the feeling that Black Star might turn evil, since he seems to becoming more insane, especially with the refrence to his father White Star during his his duel with Kidd which seems to indicate that he might follow in his father's footsteps, which was becoming a kishin.

Tags
shounen