Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-07-19, 12:50   Link #261
Doraneko
The Owl of Minerva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
The fact that Catia nation isn't some superpower just shows how strong the rest of the universe is.
Indeed. According to Eris' Galactic Politics 101 class, the Orsonians who lead the Galactic Federation seem to be well capable of destroying any civilization and planet at a whim. Consider if Orsonians sent diplomats to the Earth and got the same treatment Eris received...

Quote:
Sending a Tsundere instead, for example, would have been a bad idea.
Lol it will certainly be a diplomatic train wreck.

No... No... not that I want to have a relationship with you (mankind), but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonta Kun View Post
we may not have the hi-tech spaceships or super powered battle suits or death rays but we got our awesome steak and fries or pizza or roast duck
Very true. Kio should take Eris out to try different cuisines instead of feeding her with roasted meat everyday.

Even if there are some decent foods at the Catia home planet, it is certainly a pain to bear the tasteless space packaged food during the trip to the earth.

Quote:
I just wonder how the living arrangements are now, will everyone be bunking under the same roof?
.....if so I def say the lucky bastard deserves a lynching for being so damn lucky!
We still have no idea about how long the K-on catgirls are staying: a few days as a holiday break ("Asobi ni kimashita!") or for long term as an official secondment. As for Aoi and Manami, the "everything went back to normal" probably indicates that they are not going to stay with Kio.

(* Speculation only. Don't take this as fact. But if you are not afraid of spoilers we can have a chat on the profile walls.)

Quote:
As far as aliens, goddess, spirits well freeloaders go Eris for me is one of the very few that I'd very much like having about
Only other person I can think of that I would like is Horo.
As weird as Eris may appear to be, she is a relatively normal person, knowledgable and with a friendly attitude. Nowadays anime freeloader girls are mostly too violent, too airhead, too dangerous or with a weird fetish. I also wouldn't mind to have Eris as a freeloader at my home.

Last edited by Doraneko; 2010-07-19 at 13:10.
Doraneko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-19, 13:28   Link #262
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangatron View Post

Why is everyone doing this? is it so hard to mention the name of this series? Or... I know, you guys are just being nice to me, thinking I won't know what you're talking about.... yeah .....
Actually, I did that on purpose after seeing your reaction to serenade_beta and Saturn Beaver's posts
Moreover, I wouldn't want to jinx Asobi by mentioning this series >_>

Quote:
Uh.... I'll just stay quiet on this for now (I'm riding the 4koma train right now)
Oh, this should be fun...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doraneko View Post
As weird as Eris may appear to be, she is a relatively normal person, knowledgable and with a friendly attitude. Nowadays anime freeloader girls are mostly too violent, too airhead, too dangerous or with a weird fetish. I also wouldn't mind to have Eris as a freeloader at my home.
It's true that Eris is a very good freeloader. Friendly, cute, wearing only a shirt at night, willing to pay back your kindness in kind... Yeah, she can come play at home anytime she wants
Old 2010-07-19, 15:31   Link #263
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

1st episode review:

What a strange little show. I shall watch more.

Only complaint: is there anyone who ISN'T a member of a secret organization other than our protagonist? That's the only way I could imagine this pre-existing intersection of so many.

Minor notes:
1) the Beautiful Contact chat room is amusing.
2) a girl like Manami across the street from Mr. Straight Laced ... good lord, most guys would have been camping out over there since puberty.
3) Gunslinger Girl + maho-tech moment.
4) Oh, those Okinawans are so easy going "cat girl? sure, have a beer."
5) cowboy hat, A&W, Corvette, blonde, .... ummmmmmmm, must be American? (either that or Hidamari's Miyako gone bad )
Old 2010-07-19, 15:41   Link #264
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonta Kun View Post
Well generally put it's usually portrayed that Earth cuisine is something quite special amongst alien encounters, something I've grown to like over the years. If theres somethings we can be proud of it's our talent with food and drink
we may not have the hi-tech spaceships or super powered battle suits or death rays but we got our awesome steak and fries or pizza or roast duck

I just wonder how the living arrangements are now, will everyone be bunking under the same roof?
.....if so I def say the lucky bastard deserves a lynching for being so damn lucky!

As far as aliens, goddess, spirits well freeloaders go Eris for me is one of the very few that I'd very much like having about
Only other person I can think of that I would like is Horo.
Yeah the universe might try, but our mastery of pizza is unmatched . If we can't match up in technological respects to the rest of the intelligent universe might as well make sure we can get jobs as cooks .

Yeah Eris certainly isn't a bad freeloader at all. Heck even with numerous organizations after her head she manages to get the attack to happen away from your home .
Old 2010-07-19, 15:43   Link #265
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
That makes sense though. After all, Eris is the intentional ambassador of her race. She might not have arrived with much fanfare, but Eris must have partly been chosen for her competence in being friendly. Sending a Tsundere instead, for example, would have been a bad idea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doraneko View Post
She's known the guy a few days, and she's already offered him her virginity...twice. Once out of a misplaced idea of obligation, admittedly, but she's still about as universally dere as they come. And certainly a "houseguest with perks"... ^_^

Now the question is whether the two (three?) other women after his ass are going to let it happen...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
5) cowboy hat, A&W, Corvette, blonde, .... ummmmmmmm, must be American? (either that or Hidamari's Miyako gone bad )
I've already made my suggestion as to who she is...

With the respective ages and differing genres of the two series, not to mention the apparent (so far?) personality disparities between the two characters, it's unlikely that the similarity is intentional, but still, it's pretty interesting...

Of course, depending upon how well Jack was described/illustrated in the novels, this could be a shout out by the animation team...

Last edited by quigonkenny; 2010-07-19 at 15:55.
quigonkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-19, 15:56   Link #266
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
She's known the guy a few days, and she's already offered him her virginity...twice. Once out of a misplaced idea of obligation, admittedly, but she's still about as universally dere as they come. And certainly a "houseguest with perks"... ^_^

Now the question is whether the two (three?) other women after his ass are going to let it happen...
It would be quite the war of the maidens, I mean it's 3 girls gunning for his ass, literally
Instead of stupid games and challenges, it's war games and death matches!
You can already feel sorry for any lass that from this point on that tries to approach the lad for some casual conversation, then finding the poor lass at gun point next moment
Talk about tsun
Old 2010-07-19, 20:39   Link #267
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

I just downloaded TZM subs for ep 1 and rewatched it. Assuming it is more accurate, I might have missed a lot of things in ep 1.

Momiji's official job was the "control" of illegal immigration. So she has not broken Article 9 of the Japanese Constitution as I thought she did.

And Eris didn't just not eat meat on her trip to Earth; she forgot to pack rations all together, so she was starving. But it is still true that she is obsessed with food.

Another titbit I missed is that Kyo is in the film-club, and that the First Contact lady is his club supervisor. Which is why she would visit him during summer holidays. This established that at least on a professional level, the teacher is close to Kyo, and didn't really want him to get hurt even though she called her buddies over.

The TZM subs in ep2 suggests that the First Contact cult merely wanted to demand Eris to leave the planet immediately. So they aren't stupid; they know hurting or killing her would have dire circumstances, but telling her to get lost is almost reasonable. Being unfriendly is a really easy way to drive people away and never come back.
So then, that now explains why there was no hard feelings in the end with the First Contact group. They might have guns, but they are not suicidal.

On the other hand, in ep 2 Momiji was definitely doing more than just trying to drive Eris away. The original source material had Momiji's objective being to "deport" Eris to America. Where we assume the dog aliens can get to her. But the anime made it a simple assassination mission. It doesn't matter in the end, of course, as she backed off and Manami did her thing.

About the uncle... Do you think he is one of those people who knows the existence of aliens already, and that's why he didn't blink an eye about Eris?
Old 2010-07-19, 20:47   Link #268
kagato3

Forget food . What happens when they findout about catnip.
Higurashi: Its a bit like watching a trainwreck, except you keep getting to see different trains wrecking with roughly the same passengers, into a variety of different objects. Also, the trains are driven by monkeys. On LSD.
kagato3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-19, 20:49   Link #269
ZeKeR
Superbad

so..... guys.... i wonder what will happen now because the aliens revealed themselves
Old 2010-07-19, 20:56   Link #270
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeKeR View Post
so..... guys.... i wonder what will happen now because the aliens revealed themselves
Nothing. The big deal is that the Dog Aliens are already here, and in hiding. The Earth's governments will pretend to be surprised that Aliens exist, and the Cat aliens will pretend that they came here for the cuisine and not to hunt down a wanted race of dog criminals.
Old 2010-07-19, 21:02   Link #271
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeKeR View Post
Well if anything the Dogs don't want formal diplomatic ties between Earth and Catia (formerly named Earth).

Dogs are hiding their presence from other aliens on Earth, likely the Galactic Federation, and mere association with them is a violation of galactic laws.

On that note I'd hate the Osarian led Galactic Federation go Vorlon on us, with planet killers, just because of associating with Dog aliens.

On another note Eris' people called their planet Earth and themselves Earthlings and also their umm... reproductive systems are compatible with us so is there some significance to it?
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-19, 21:10   Link #272
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
On another note Eris' people called their planet Earth and themselves Earthlings and also their umm... reproductive systems are compatible with us so is there some significance to it?
I personally believe this is played up as a galactic coincidence; the Catia civilisation had been around far longer than us, but they didn't know of our existence until recently. Unlikely as it may seem, this is playing on the fact that it was once accepted as a normal plot device in SciFi.

There might be some historical reason for all this, but I am not sure if that's what the author was going for. He put in old school cat aliens because he wanted them to be in the story. And since he can't justify them being who they are he simply didn't try to. The universe is a big place, coincidences happen.
Old 2010-07-19, 21:57   Link #273
mangatron
worshipping the pantyhose

Quote:
About the uncle... Do you think he is one of those people who knows the existence of aliens already, and that's why he didn't blink an eye about Eris?
That's what I established with my "Agent K and the Zarthans" theory earlier. He did let Eris in on the ceremony, then proceeded to direct her to Kio's house. As I state many times I'm on a vendetta against coincidence, as I simply cannot comprehend such... simplicity

By the way 4koma is done, just need to.... upload it. Darn health and internet line quality is a beechcraft airplane...
mangatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-19, 22:44   Link #274
Doraneko
The Owl of Minerva

Quote:
The TZM subs in ep2 suggests that the First Contact cult merely wanted to demand Eris to leave the planet immediately. So they aren't stupid; they know hurting or killing her would have dire circumstances, but telling her to get lost is almost reasonable. Being unfriendly is a really easy way to drive people away and never come back.
So then, that now explains why there was no hard feelings in the end with the First Contact group. They might have guns, but they are not suicidal.
In the original source (novel), Beautiful Contact's task group for capturing Eris is a bunch of non-fatal and extremely funny SF mania, throwing out obsolete SF terms preaching about the perfect first contact.

In essence the writer was teasing his readers, but in a very humorous way. His core followings are hardcore SF fans, and one of the forms of "perfect contact" has been the theme of his previous novels. Anyhow the BF members are still "good guys," just that they shut themselves in their merry little world and have no idea of the outside world.

In the anime though the BF members' violent attempts make them more like terrorists. Imagine if they try to pull a similar stunt on diplomats from another country. It would already be a diplomatic crisis and may even lead to regional conflicts.

Quote:
This is Japan . Go to Akiba and you can see combat maids, aliens and espers running around with no one blinking an eye.

Anyway he seems to have lots of contacts around. There is certainly a chance that he already knows about the dog aliens in the US.

Quote:
By the way 4koma is done, just need to.... upload it. Darn health and internet line quality is a beechcraft airplane...
Oh I look forward to it.

Quote:
On that note I'd hate the Osarian led Galactic Federation go Vorlon on us, with planet killers, just because of associating with Dog aliens.
(Speculation) It seems like it is only a matter of time when the Osarians will come... Once the Catians have established formal diplomatic contacts with a majority of countries, the earth can probably get a seat in the Galactic Federation. Then the Catians can easily call the Osarians to come to earth and eradicate the dog people... Probably a major reason why the dog people are so keen on stopping the Catians' "friendly" mission.

Last edited by Doraneko; 2010-07-19 at 22:56.
Doraneko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-19, 23:22   Link #275
Dahak86
Classics never age

I have only one thing to say:
Yay for more cat-girls!! especially the light-blue hair one.

Spoiler for They've come to play!:

I hope we're going to see A LOT more of them.. It's not asking too much, right?

Quote:
By the way 4koma is done, just need to.... upload it.
Done, already? Cool. Can't wait to see it. But, no strike pantsu 4koma? /jk
Old 2010-07-19, 23:54   Link #276
mangatron
worshipping the pantyhose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahak86 View Post
I hope we're going to see A LOT more of them.. It's not asking too much, right?
You are asking too much. Because... they're mine, see.

/me runs

Quote:
Done, already? Cool. Can't wait to see it. But, no strike pantsu 4koma? /jk
Done already, uploaded and live! Originally I wanted to start things off the same way I did for a certain other series last season, but thanks to Vallen my plans were ruined

Hope everyone has a laugh, and.... I'm sorry Aoi-chan, but I had to do it. And, I have to know.... How do you do it?

By the way, I'm still going with my theory, of dematerialization AKA Eris' antimatter piko piko hammer

Something controversial has to happen in Strike Pantsu in order for a 4koma to happen
mangatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-20, 00:32   Link #277
ZeKeR
Superbad

oh boy..... but still thar power suit is awesome......
Old 2010-07-20, 03:11   Link #278
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Well, besides the fact that she has four ears, she's clearly mammalian (is she ever...), and all the other physical similarities (walks upright, limbs, eyes, mouth, nose, other external body parts all in the same place) suggest a common ancestor, or at least parallel development. That would mean that her other equipment is almost certainly in the same place and functions similarly, which means she's at least physically compatible (ie: tab A will fit into slot B). Genetic compatibility is a different question, and one I doubt will be addressed over the course of the series, but might make it into the books.

Of course, the sci-fi nerd in me is betting that there was some galaxy-spanning civilization way back that seeded the galaxy with different species and directed their development along humanoid lines (*cough*Orsonians*cough*), because the odds of humans, cat people, and dog people all existing and being so similar are pretty much nil. But yeah, this is hardly hard sci-fi...
Old 2010-07-20, 03:24   Link #279
Preacher

Simple explanation to existence of alien races of Dog Humans and Cat Humans and their sudden contact with the Earth.

Spoiler:
Old 2010-07-20, 04:30   Link #280
Ichijo

Ep 2

I think that the girls decided to quit their jobs a little too easy. Also, I wish fights were a little longer, but with their decision and another side revealed in the preview that seemed to be Catia's enemy, this means a lot more action.

Momiji is my favorite character so far.
Ichijo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, romance, sci-fi, shounen