AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-11-06, 19:34   Link #1001
Chiaki_chan
Kubo GO TO HELL

Quote:
Originally Posted by PzIVf3 View Post
Spoiler for Looks like from Newtype:
pretty pictures
Old 2012-11-06, 20:08   Link #1002
Marina2

*Put on Yuri goggles*

This show seem to have a lot of pair to ship for

- Miho x Saori
- Miho x Yukari <<< I support this pair!
- Saori x Hana
- Saori x Mako
- Yukari x Panzer....

EDIT: About What Darjeeling comments in ep.5 Anyone know who is the U.S. president she said about ??

Last edited by Marina2; 2012-11-06 at 20:35.
Marina2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-06, 20:19   Link #1003
4Tran

Going back to episode 5, here's some more thoughts:

- I liked the Saunders students being so stereotypically American. There was a lot of it too; with Kei's boisterous and gregarious attitude, the tapping of Ooarai's radios (ala HYPO at Midway), the demonstration of American industrial strength, and the cheerleaders. This is one of the more enjoyable anime presentations of Americanisms in quite a while.

- I'm not sure what Miho was saying about being able to plan if she knew what Saunders would be fielding. Saunders uses Shermans and only Shermans. There may be a lot of Sherman variants, but most of them are functionally the same: there's the Sherman 75mm, the 76mm, the 105mm, the Firefly, and the 105mm. Saunders wouldn't field any 105s, and they fielded all of the rest except the Jumbo, so what's there to think about? And it's not as if you'd fight a Jumbo all that differently given what Ooarai has to work with.

- The sheer amount of inaccuracy feels very right. It makes sense given that they're firing on the move and none of the guns have proper stabilization. Not to mention that it can be very difficult to hit a target to begin with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willx View Post
Okay .. I understand?

That was my exact point. You said "Chinese Theatre would be fun!" and I'm not sure if you're following what I'm saying, but Tak said playing the land war in the Chinese Theater would not be fun due to the technological advantage that one side had over the other -- and I agree with him.
Nah. Lop-sided scenarios tend to be interesting ones, and a lot of World War II grognard games (and wargames in general) feature them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoXiao View Post
It's not hard when your enemy's best tank is a T-26, or Pz. I. When did China get the M4?
In 1937, the T-26 was kicking all sorts of butt in the Spanish Civil War. If China had had them, they would have had offered much more opposition to Japan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helius View Post
Episode 6 delayed for a week. Apparently some guy within the production team screwed up royally, so it'll be a recap instead for next week....

http://www.animenewsnetwork.co.uk/ne....5.5-next-week
It's not necessarily a standard recap. It's supposed to be an introduction, so we may be learning more about the different AFVs or the other crews. To date, they've been barely touched on. This wouldn't fit very smoothly in a regular episode. The current pacing has been awesome and I'd hate for that to go away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
ITALIANS!?!?!?

LOL! Imo, their tanks were only slightly better than Japanese ones, and thats not even a compliment.

- Tak
Italian tanks aren't that bad for when they were designed and built. However, they timed their production cycle too early so their existing tanks were obsolescent by the time the war started, and their industry was overworked. Anyways, this is the only 1-episode fight, and Anzio only has one named character, so this will probably be a joke fight.
Old 2012-11-06, 20:39   Link #1004
Random Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gecd View Post
I just realised that Miho may have phobia for being inside the tank
...Huh. I figured that she had some sort of PTSD regarding tanks (I think almost everyone has concluded that by now), but I hadn't connected the dots to the conclusion that that's why she spends so much of her time outside of the tank proper rather than in. That may very well be the case.

Jeeze, Maho and teammate are seriously bitter about something. If whatever drove Miho to leave was as traumatic as the undertones I've been getting suggest, those two are way out of line.
Random Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-06, 20:56   Link #1005
Julio C
Bury My Shell

Send a message via AIM to Julio C Send a message via MSN to Julio C Send a message via Yahoo to Julio C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liddo-kun View Post
Watched episode 5.
Not putting in spoiler anymore since a lot of people in the thread seem to have watched it already.

Episode starts with eating delicious looking tank shaped cakes.
Unfortunately, the mood turns bad right away when Maho and her teammate arrives. I'm surprised Miho is actually second in command before she left her sister's team - this is probably the reason why student council wants to recruit Miho to help their school. Maho seems to be not a bad person, she's just bitter about something.. but her companion looks like a really arrogant person. Too bad, the british team wasn't eating at that place too, they would probably helped the Oorai girls talk back to Maho's teammate.

On to the american team (Saunders). Leader of Saunders looks like a totally nice person, and a generous one too.

Anyway, the match is just as exciting as the last episode. America is strong because it's rich? They can afford that ballooon (I would assume it's expensive). Good thing Miho noticed the balloon before the situation became too bad for Oorai. Saori's ability to text fast actually came in handy (I remember her saying at at a previous episode that she can text fast ). And lastly, it's nice that the first years kept to their promise to try harder this time.

Can't wait for the next episode!
Wait, Miho was under her sister's command before? I must have missed something during the episode. Maho doesn't look like a bad person at all, but hopefully we find out more about her towards Miho.

Wouldn't spying the Saunders to find out their strategy be against the rules and dishonorable? I'm just surprised Miho just went along with it.

Glad to see Tatiana Wisla (I'm just going call the British team's leader like that from now on) once again in all her glory.
Julio C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-06, 21:13   Link #1006
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Wanderer View Post
Jeeze, Maho and teammate are seriously bitter about something. If whatever drove Miho to leave was as traumatic as the undertones I've been getting suggest, those two are way out of line.
Depending on how canonical the manga is, it's got something to do Miho causing the loss of Black Forest the previous year. At that point, the school had been on a run for nearly a decade, and a loss, especially due to a Nishizumi (Miho was the second-in-command, remember) would be not only embarrassing, but a stain on their performance record. Also I have a feeling that there's also some personal reasons involved, depending on whether Miho literally ran away, or just quit.
Old 2012-11-06, 21:19   Link #1007
Random Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
Depending on how canonical the manga is, it's got something to do Miho causing the loss of Black Forest the previous year. At that point, the school had been on a run for nearly a decade, and a loss, especially due to a Nishizumi (Miho was the second-in-command, remember) would be not only embarrassing, but a stain on their performance record. Also I have a feeling that there's also some personal reasons involved, depending on whether Miho literally ran away, or just quit.
Since the incident appears to have involved Miho nearly dying, you'll have to forgive me for not having much sympathy for Black Forest's attitude.
Old 2012-11-06, 21:28   Link #1008
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I have no idea what's in the manga, but just from the bits we've seen in the anime, it appears to me that Miho was in a tank that sunk underwater and she almost drowned. That caused her to decide not to do tankery and move to a different school, and may have given her a bit of a phobia about confined spaces. Just leaving tankery would be enough to make her family and former colleagues look down on her, I think.

As for the spying, I thought that was fairly low myself, but if this is really supposed to mimic war, then spying is probably somewhat okay -- like hacking the other side's communications.

The portrayal of Americans is in fact pretty nice, as 4Tran says. It's like a 1950s Japanese version of Americans: friendly and straightforward, enthusiastic, capable, and with overwhelming industrial production.

I just want to remind people that Alice, the American girl with reddish brown hair, is played by the long-lost Hirano Aya:

Full table of character/seiyuu pics here.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-06, 21:34   Link #1009
Random Wanderer

Quote:
I have no idea what's in the manga, but just from the bits we've seen in the anime, it appears to me that Miho was in a tank that sunk underwater and she almost drowned. That caused her to decide not to do tankery and move to a different school, and may have given her a bit of a phobia about confined spaces. Just leaving tankery would be enough to make her family and former colleagues look down on her, I think.
Anyone who cannot understand how that would leave her traumatized is not worth the time of day.
Old 2012-11-06, 21:41   Link #1010
LeoXiao
思想工作

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
Nah. Lop-sided scenarios tend to be interesting ones, and a lot of World War II grognard games (and wargames in general) feature them.
Don't forget that a lot of times, the Japanese soldiers weren't really that much better than their Chinese counterparts, at least when going against German-trained divisions. What really messed up the Chinese was not technology but internal disorder, corruption, and probably logistical factors, which admittedly also hurt the Japanese a lot.

That being said, imagine the Call of Duty games where you gun down scores of Nazis. Assuming you get to play as a Japanese infantryman, and mostly have missions where you fight hordes of NRA militiamen, it should'nt be too much different, eh?

Quote:
In 1937, the T-26 was kicking all sorts of butt in the Spanish Civil War. If China had had them, they would have had offered much more opposition to Japan.
China DID have them, if Wikipedia is to be believed, just not in large numbers.
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-06, 21:44   Link #1011
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
The issues between the two Nishizumi sisters aside, I wonder how long will the Student Council dance around the consequences of their school losing the competition. Seems to be fairly serious for Momo to keep on mentioning it.
Old 2012-11-06, 22:43   Link #1012
Marina2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
The issues between the two Nishizumi sisters aside, I wonder how long will the Student Council dance around the consequences of their school losing the competition. Seems to be fairly serious for Momo to keep on mentioning it.
If I have to guess, maybe Oorai school is in the risk of getting shutdown due to some reasons (Money, etc.) but someone propose that if they can win the compettiton and prove that Oorai is worth to continue, they will help to keep Oorai run.
Old 2012-11-06, 23:01   Link #1013
PzIVf3

Spoiler for Someone translate this pls.:
PzIVf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-06, 23:11   Link #1014
LeoXiao
思想工作

Quote:
Even if I could read it reliably, it's too small to make out the wording.
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-06, 23:32   Link #1015
Chiaki_chan
Kubo GO TO HELL

is Leopold rail gun?
Old 2012-11-06, 23:34   Link #1016
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

...whatever's left of that RAIL GUN.
Old 2012-11-06, 23:43   Link #1017
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
On my screen it's readable (Vaio 13.3in 1600x900). It doesn't give any real clues to what happened, just says that Kuromorimine ("Black Forest Peak") Academy for Women won the national senshadou championship nine years in a row, but victory escaped them last year. Miho was on their team last year.

Her elder sister Maho is still the team's commanding officer and is an internationally famous figure in senshadou, often mentioned in the media. Their Nishizumi family has given its name to a school of senshadou. She is played by Tanaka Rie.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-07, 00:30   Link #1018
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoXiao View Post
Don't forget that a lot of times, the Japanese soldiers weren't really that much better than their Chinese counterparts, at least when going against German-trained divisions.
Aside from obvious disparity in training and determination, one of many differences between both armies is how they were led. A typical Chinese officer would go: Charge, and I will be right behind you! Whereas a Japanese officer would go: Charge, and I will be right in front of you!

Otherwise, an average Japanese infantryman was not much better equipped than their Chinese counterpart. In fact, you can even claim the Japanese had inferior infantry equipment compared to their Chinese counterpart. A typical Japanese infantry at the time was equipped with the Type 38 6.5mm rifle and machine guns that were bulky & difficult to setup. A typical Chinese infantry was armed with Mauser 8mm rifles. The German divisions were also equipped with sub-machine guns, Czech-made machine-guns and some even had MG34s. None of these weapons had an equal Japanese counterpart. In fact, it was in response to the Mauser 8mm, which overpowered the Type 38 that Japan developed the Type 99 rifle that chambered a larger caliber. Unfortunately for China, what Japan lacked in infantry weaponry, they easily compensated with air support, heavy weapons and overall superior logistics.

Quote:
Nishisumi Maho, Miho's older sister. A very capable individual & commonly regarded as heir-apparent of Nishisumi-tankery. She is currently captain of of the venerated tankery school, Black Forest Peak School for Women. Maho is an internationally famous tankery figure who appears very often on mass media.

- - - - -

And of course Black Forest Peak is symbolized by an Iron Cross...

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.

Last edited by Tak; 2012-11-07 at 01:05.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-07, 00:44   Link #1019
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Znail View Post
The only one you would need to buy would be the Stug III to get the flags for it.
Did someone say something about buying a tank? Apparently it's legal in many countries. Here you go, infographic!

Spoiler for The Big Picture:

This is on my wish list right after a red R8 that I'll put Char decals on ..

You may rely on it
willx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-07, 01:11   Link #1020
Julio C
Bury My Shell

Send a message via AIM to Julio C Send a message via MSN to Julio C Send a message via Yahoo to Julio C
Any idea how old Maho is? BTW, how old are the main girls?

The make legal to buy tanks because you can't fired them.
Julio C is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, gup, original anime, slice of life, sports, tanks