AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Psycho-Pass

Notices

View Poll Results: Psycho-Pass - Episode 9 Rating
Perfect 10 18 33.33%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 20 37.04%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 12 22.22%
7 out of 10 : Good 3 5.56%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 1.85%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-12-07, 01:38   Link #21
LightningZERO
You are Dominated!
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
You know I see many people (not here mind you) on different forums and sites saying that all the characters say for Shinya are underdeveloped. Which is as fare as I can see untrue.

If they actually paid attention to the interactions between the characters they would see the development being done a little bit at a time.
It's true that the characters are getting slow but steady development (Gino and Masaoka for this episode), but so far the series has shown the enforcers and investigators to be pretty useless save for Shinya and Masaoka. As much as I like Gino, so far he is shown as a rather extreme by the book cop with little to no investigation skills to back it up. It doesn't help that the police commissioner(?) said that she has high hopes for Gino.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
That's not it. Akane's interest in learning more about the work of a detective (profiling, etc) is consistent with her her stated goal of choosing to work for the Criminal Investigation Division in order to make a difference (episode 2, if I remember correctly!!). This isn't about Kougami; Akane needs to learn more and catch up to him to achieve her goal, because she won't change anything just by doing her job as an inspector like Gino does.
Hmm. Maybe you are right. Akane is a good girl at heart and definitely wants to change the police works, but so far those pursuing of knowledge (profiling etc) and the enforcers' pasts all stem from her interest in Kougami. Other characters (Gino and Masaoka) have repeatedly warned her of such actions might cause more harm than good, which she sort of ignored. I don't know if she is aware of the danger of her investigations as she has grown accustomed to Kougami. I just hope she is thinking straight and not letting her interest in Kougami changes what she originally planned to do.

There is also subtle hints at the end of the episode that say maybe Kougami does not really care about Akane's psycho pass reading for now, as he is getting more and more obsessed with Makishima.

I just hope things won't turn too bad for them XD
Old 2012-12-07, 01:47   Link #22
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningZERO View Post
Hmm. Maybe you are right. Akane is a good girl at heart and definitely wants to change the police works, but so far those pursuing of knowledge (profiling etc) and the enforcers' pasts all stem from her interest in Kougami.
The way I see it, it's the other way around. Her interest in Kougami stem from the fact the he's the only one who seems to be making a difference there, while all the others are just doing what the system commands. That's why Akane is trying to learn from Kougami. Again, this is all in line with her stated goal. If she didn't do this she wouldn't have any reason to be there in the first place.

Quote:
There is also subtle hints at the end of the episode that say maybe Kougami does not really care about Akane's psycho pass reading for now, as he is getting more and more obsessed with Makishima.
Tomomi said that but I think he's wrong. Kougami knows about Akane's ability to keep her psyco-path clean (he said so as much in this episode) so he's not helping her just for the lulz. Rather he seems to think she has the talent to learn this stuff and to use it without going the darkside (unlike him).
Old 2012-12-07, 01:50   Link #23
Terizent
Nonsense!

In a magazine, it was explained that in PP's society, people's ability to remember faces have regressed. Apparently, people can meet a person once, and then forget what they looked like quite easily. I believe it has to do with the Sibyl system/stress care.

That's why nobody remembered what Makishima's face looked like.

Quote:

I just hope things won't turn too bad for them XD
It's true that Kougami is becoming obsessed with Shogo, and THAT is the reason he disregarded the possibility that Akane's CC could rise. To be honest, it would have been better of him to first tell Gino and warn Akane of the risks. But I don't think that thought even crossed his mind, he just wanted to be able to have her help him investigate Shogo. It's not that he's being selfish on purpose, he's just got tunnel vision and probably hasn't even noticed how he's acting.
Old 2012-12-07, 01:52   Link #24
Dark Wing

Quote:
It's true that the characters are getting slow but steady development (Gino and Masaoka for this episode), but so far the series has shown the enforcers and investigators to be pretty useless save for Shinya and Masaoka. As much as I like Gino, so far he is shown as a rather extreme by the book cop with little to no investigation skills to back it up. It doesn't help that the police commissioner(?) said that she has high hopes for Gino.
We already know the reason for that is because inspectors aren't really detectives but more like handlers for Enforces who do the bulk of the work because "normal" people don't want to get too invested into the job of out of fear of getting flagged as a latent criminal.

Once this becomes evident you can get a better grasp of Gino's character.
Old 2012-12-07, 01:56   Link #25
LightningZERO
You are Dominated!
*Author

I guess I was expecting something more from a glass wearing smart looking guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terizent View Post
In a magazine, it was explained that in PP's society, people's ability to remember faces have regressed. Apparently, people can meet a person once, and then forget what they looked like quite easily.

That's a bit extreme, but I think in line with Mr Cyborg's talk about human too dependant on technology.

It's not exactly a good example, but we used to memorize telephone contact numbers but now we have our phones to do all the recording and memorizing for us. Will there be a day where we even need devices to recall people face? Hmm...scary thoughts
Old 2012-12-07, 04:58   Link #26
Kiavik

Kogami's swamp metaphore reflects exactly what we see in the opening for the show: Akane swimming in the darkness in search for something. Some heavy foreshadowing to the evolution of Akane's character, I'd say
Somebody else caught that?
Old 2012-12-07, 06:03   Link #27
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

I wonder what the sensei's CC is if they are all so afraid of him tainting others
Old 2012-12-07, 06:41   Link #28
Quadratic
SIBYL salesman

So it turns out Sibyl actually is relatively new. Akane is ~2nd generation into the Sibyl system, then?

That last 5 minutes...I'm really enjoying the whole Shinya-Akane-Nobuchika-Tomomi dynamic. Still wishing for a bit more Yayoi, though, haha.

Interesting thing with the chairman. I've had that kind of thought myself. How much can a person replace/(cybernetize?) before you're no longer you?
Considering he enjoys taking the 'souls' of others to cultivate his mind (hmm...), where does his 'soul' reside if he cybernetize his brain?
Old 2012-12-07, 08:04   Link #29
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Great episode like always!

I'm glad we finally got some info on why the CID has so few inspectors and so many enforces.
Well there's also the principle of "Too many Chiefs, not enough Indians."

Though really. It could be that this could be seen in a somewhat sinister light. Of qualified people to do police work, despite the population of mentally healthy people being much bigger...you still see 2-3 times as many people being recruited into this division of law enforcement basically from mental institutions.

It almost makes me think that the Sybil system is confining the people who a thousand years ago, would be the most innately proficient and capable warriors a population produced. Extremely smart people who could see into the minds of their opponent, and figure out the most effective way of killing them. The kind of people who'd be celebrated as the most effective lower level officers or NCO's in armies.

In this civilized time? They're anachronisms kept on a short leash for their innate capacity for violence.
Quote:
When the gang traced the name Makishima used in the school, the result was an old man. So I imagine Makishima walking around the school dressed in hologram of said old man, and only showing his true face to Rikako?
I recall that in the last episode, we saw him as himself in the same room with other faculty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allium View Post
And oh, I really liked Akane this episode. She's still as moe as ever, especially while conversing with her jellyfish-hologram-thing, but it was refreshing to see her stand up to Gino and speak for her position. Didn't expect that at all.
What's that? A cute female character who can actually stand up for herself in a professional manner, maintain her self respect and confidence?! SAY IT ISN'T SO!

Last edited by Roger Rambo; 2012-12-07 at 08:14.
Old 2012-12-07, 08:23   Link #30
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy C View Post
According to the bio at the start of the program, he's 110 years old. It'd be nice if someone could translate the full bio there.
I missed that. Nice catch. He's even older than I figured he was. I definitely think age is starting to affect his mental faculties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Here's a question for you - What do you think Bruce Wayne's hue and crime coefficients would be? Personally, I think they would be a cloudy hue and a fairly high crime coefficient (probably enough for paralyzer but not enough for lethal enforcer since Batman is highly unlikely to kill someone).
I had actually already pondered about that before. I agree his crime coefficient would be fairly high. It's been made clear in more than one story that he is pretty messed up and that there is only a thin line separating the Batman from criminals, and if he ever crossed it, he wouldn't be able to go back. That's what makes him such a fascinating character.

Quote:
One final note - I'm pretty sure that "Gino's father" is Tomomi. Tomomi picked up for Gino really fast, like a man picking up for a close relative. And during Tomomi's words to Akane, I could detect a special sadness and a touch of shame in them. I think that Tomomi is Gino's father, and Tomomi regrets letting his son down in his own eyes.

I really hope I'm right here. Predictable "twist" or not, it would still make the personal dynamics between the protagonists that much more rich and intriguing, imo.
Personally, I got the impression Tomomi is an old colleague and close friend of Ginoza's father rather than his father himself. I don't think the higher-ups would allow the father to work under the son, especially knowing they have a complicated relationship.

Quote:
In a magazine, it was explained that in PP's society, people's ability to remember faces have regressed. Apparently, people can meet a person once, and then forget what they looked like quite easily. I believe it has to do with the Sibyl system/stress care.

I was wondering why they haven't even been able to get a composite sketch. That makes sense... sort of. I still find it hard to believe a teacher who has worked here for a bit time would be so easily forgotten by students and fellow teachers alike. Furthermore, as Kogami has stated, he has a lot of charisma, he's the kind of person who usually leaves a strong impression on you.

Quote:
It's true that Kougami is becoming obsessed with Shogo, and THAT is the reason he disregarded the possibility that Akane's CC could rise. To be honest, it would have been better of him to first tell Gino and warn Akane of the risks. But I don't think that thought even crossed his mind, he just wanted to be able to have her help him investigate Shogo. It's not that he's being selfish on purpose, he's just got tunnel vision and probably hasn't even noticed how he's acting.
He didn't disregard that possibility, since he informed her of the risk afterwards. He considered it and decided that Akane is mentally strong enough to handle the lectures. He should have warned her beforehand and not afterwards though. He was probably afraid to scare her off so he wanted her to experience a lecture first.
Old 2012-12-07, 08:42   Link #31
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempester View Post
Symphony No. 9, 4th movement, by Ludwig van Beethoven.
They were listening to an earlier section of the same symphony last week.
Old 2012-12-07, 09:25   Link #32
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:

THAT makes allot more sense. It'd have been nice to have just had a quick shootout to that, perhaps from Tomomi, who thought back to the days when people would actually be more able to do those kinda composite sketches.
Old 2012-12-07, 09:27   Link #33
Reincarnated
World Inverse Creator

You know what, after this episode I get the feeling that someday Ko's CC will rise to 300+ due to his obsession for Shogo then Akane will be the one entrusted to "eliminate" him.
Old 2012-12-07, 09:32   Link #34
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

I do think it's a rather lame explanation for why it was so difficult to get a composite sketch of Makishima, but as it's a fictional setting, I suppose it's best to accept it as reality and move on.

Over-all, I'm enjoying Psycho-Pass more than my initial impressions led me to believe I would. With the number of recent shows Gen has done that have really stood out due to their stark contrasts (Madoka contrasting with...Nanaho...Zero contrasting with Night), I was perhaps unfair in my initial reaction that PP seemed solid, but lacking any of that "oh wow" effect I got from the aforementioned shows.

Now, I'm thinking that there's a high likelihood that by the time this series is over, I'll consider it to join Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex as Production I. G's (co-)seminal work.
Also, cake.
Old 2012-12-07, 09:43   Link #35
Kirarakim

What I found interesting is Kogami is already aware of Makishima's persuasive power. He's of course not aware that Makishima is interested in him. However I wonder how much of a leg up this gives Kogami on Makishima.

Will Makishima go after the other enforcers or just Kogami.

I also wonder what role Akane will play in all this. I am sure she is crucial.
Old 2012-12-07, 10:10   Link #36
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
You know I see many people (not here mind you) on different forums and sites saying that all the characters say for Shinya are underdeveloped. Which is as fare as I can see untrue.

If they actually paid attention to the interactions between the characters they would see the development being done a little bit at a time.
To be fair, Yayoi has really gotten very little screen-time, and barely any lines. But I think that the other major protagonists have gotten decent character development, and I suspect that most (if not all) of them will get a character-focus episode or two. Or at least an important personal background reveal. So I think the plot is deliberately holding back some important character details for added suspense later on. Which is good, if you ask me.

Ultimately, though, the most important characters probably are Akane and Shinya. So it's only fitting for the narrative to focus the most on them. Gino, Tomomi, and Kagari have all had good character development so far if you think of them as "major supporting cast" rather than "ensemble-cast in a Power Rangers sort of way".
Old 2012-12-07, 10:10   Link #37
HandofFate

i love that costume device.
Old 2012-12-07, 10:35   Link #38
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

I do not think the cyborgs brain has started to deteriorate, rather his personality has deteriorated. Reminds me of what I heard many years ago, the father of someone I knew was into hunting and he told me many rich guys by the time the have the money and free time to go to hunt in africa are too old and the guide is the one that captures the animal so the hunter can shoot it point blank. But in the psycho pass world hunting has been probably banned which must be very frustrating for mr cyborg which probably used to hunt in his older days, he has a body which can still go hunting buy he lacks prey, enter Makishima and the rest is story. But if his brain had deteriorated his speech and train of thought wouldn't be as clear.
Old 2012-12-07, 10:44   Link #39
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
What I found interesting is Kogami is already aware of Makishima's persuasive power.
It's actually a fairly reasonable conclusion to come to. In order to gain the trust of these people, and to compel them to carry out there desires, Makashima has to be pretty persuasive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogon_bat View Post
I do not think the cyborgs brain has started to deteriorate, rather his personality has deteriorated. Reminds me of what I heard many years ago, the father of someone I knew was into hunting and he told me many rich guys by the time the have the money and free time to go to hunt in africa are too old and the guide is the one that captures the animal so the hunter can shoot it point blank. But in the psycho pass world hunting has been probably banned which must be very frustrating for mr cyborg which probably used to hunt in his older days, he has a body which can still go hunting buy he lacks prey, enter Makishima and the rest is story. But if his brain had deteriorated his speech and train of thought wouldn't be as clear.
That...really depends actually. Especially on how much his brain is hooked up to implants, and how those implants translate his thought patterns. It's possible that slurred speech could be compensated via software.
Old 2012-12-07, 10:53   Link #40
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
That...really depends actually. Especially on how much his brain is hooked up to implants, and how those implants translate his thought patterns. It's possible that slurred speech could be compensated via software.
I do not think there is such think as using thought patterns to communicate, we have this thing called language we use to communicate with other humans, whether his brain controls meaty muscles or mechanical ones to create syllables (or type words at the keyboard) does not change the fact that he must choose words and build sentences before translating them into sounds/letters.

p.s.

For those thinking the bone pipe is creepy, think about it for a second, it is no different from having the head of your kills handing on he wall, it is a trophy, nothing more, nothing less.
Closed Thread