Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-05-03, 20:18   Link #1
rooroobearr
Romancy Harems

Location: Let me look outside... Where the hell is this place?Oo
Send a message via AIM to rooroobearr
Modern Day Warfare?

Hello, I am hoping that you can help me find some anime(s) that have Modern Day Warfare in it. It would be nice if the main character was a "foot soldier" and none of where he/she mans a plane, tank, or submarine. Please let it be rifles and no sea/air warfare.
Please,
and
Thank You!
Old 2008-05-03, 20:57   Link #2
james0246

You seem to be looking for a traditional American War film type of a show, and that is not that common in Japan (partially due to the fact that they do not have a standing army and the last standing army they had lead to the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki). So, it is a little hard to find straight-laced military shows. Here are a few close examples:

Your best initial bet would be The Royal Space Force: Wings of Honneamise - great anime movie with extremely realistic portrayal of modern 1940s-1970s weaponry (there is a lot of front-line trench-warfare type battles in this epic movie). This is not the main focus of the anime, rather the main focus is of the birth of a space program in a similiar worl/reality to our own. The Secondary story, of the world, involves a realistic portrayal of a Cold War between two opposing countries, and the implication of a Space Program to this Cold War.

Memories - the second and third part of this anthology deal extensively with moder or semi-modern weaponry. Very good movie from the director/creator of Akira...in fact...

Akira - many "regular" joe weapons are used by a variety of people. Sadly, this is not a predominate interest in the show. (other shows like this include Fullmetal Alchemist, Saikano, and Spriggan (all have a fair amount of "modern" weaponry, but that is not the point of the show.))

Last edited by james0246; 2008-05-04 at 14:19.
Old 2008-05-03, 21:31   Link #3
SinsI

Can you elaborate on what you consider a modern day warfare?
Does something like Black Lagoon, City Hunter or Noir counts as one?
Can we have some futuristic mecha battles like those in Fullmetal Panic also mixed in?
What about shows like Pumpkin Scissors?

The problem is that ordinary foot soldiers are not very likely to survive many battles or play a significant role which contradicts the requirement of them being main heroes.
Old 2008-05-03, 22:21   Link #4
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Um, one would think that modern warfare would include tanks and airplanes and that traditional warfare would include foot soldiers. I'm not talking about ancient warfare with spears either.

But that's besides the point. With the exception of the ultimate weapon, Chise, most of SaiKano had to do with soldiers with rifles.
Old 2008-05-03, 22:55   Link #5
Saleh
Inactive

Perhaps Toshokan Sensou and Golgo 13 from series that are currently airing. Also suggesting Allison and Lillia for 19th-20th century warfare series.
Old 2008-05-03, 22:58   Link #6
gabbytay
Banned

try gunslinger girls
Old 2008-05-04, 00:33   Link #7
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Toshokan Sensou - an anime airing this season, and so far, it's all been urban military battles with lots of gunfights and whatnot.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
Old 2008-05-04, 13:17   Link #8
rooroobearr
Romancy Harems

Oh, sorry if I was too vague with the "Modern Day Warfare". I mean like where the main character is on the front lines, taking fire, and comrads are dieing left and right.
Old 2008-05-04, 13:36   Link #9
Frans

Some of the episodes in Ghost in The Shell involves some kind of war in the city (at least the 2nd GIG).
Old 2008-05-04, 16:09   Link #10
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Shows with dying comrades are pretty scarce in the anime shows I've seen. Shows about war are usually set in fantasy or ahistorical contexts to avoid sensitive subjects. If you want to see an anime about modern warfare, and you haven't seen Grave of the Fireflies, you might want to start there. I'll warn you that it isn't anything like what you asked about.
Old 2008-05-04, 16:39   Link #11
james0246

Episode 13 or so of Cowboy Bebop is all about one of the characters past in a trench war on Titan, so there are a few scenes of trench warfare in the 23 century (or therebouts). But, as SeijiSensei has said, there are simply too few actual scenes of real warfare (as often depicted in many WWII/Vietnam war films in America or hell even in Starship Troopers ) in Japanese animation for a variety of reasons (for example a Grunt would never be the star of an anime series, but an assassin or one of a few mecha pilots etc. would all be stars of their own series). Gasaraki might be another good place to start (there is quite a bit of modern war equipment in this fairly realistic anime...even if there are also one or two mechas hanging around as well ) (along those same lines, PatLabor is a good show to see how mechas are somewhat realistically used in everyday life, as well as how they are integrated into a pre-existing police force/military organization.)

Last edited by james0246; 2008-05-04 at 18:38.
Old 2008-05-04, 19:49   Link #12
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

@OP
Again, I'd rec Toshokan Sensou. That's probably the closest thing you'd get to 'real' modern day warfare in anime, without the main character going Rambo and killing 20 guys with pinpoint accuracy while he doesn't get a scratch b/c his opponents can't hit the broadside of a barn. From what I have seen so far, Toshokan Sensou touches line of sight, cover, support fire, synchronized actions, sniping, and ordered retreat. It is by far and away the most realistic anime I've seen in terms of moden day foot warfare, but then again I'm not an expert in that field of knowledge.

You can skip episode 1 though if you want to get to the action parts, as it's only in the next episodes you do get war battles.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
Old 2008-05-04, 20:07   Link #13
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Spoiler for Toshokan Sensou (eps 1-3):
Old 2008-05-04, 20:26   Link #14
rooroobearr
Romancy Harems

Yeah I've been watching Library War and I see guns and all, but none dieing. In episode 3 or after I saw a guy get shot and a sniper about to finish him off, but the makers decided not to kill him......Yeah it's pretty much the closest thing so far.....Ty for all your suggestions!
Old 2009-02-28, 16:38   Link #15
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
The manga version of Spriggan is set in the 1990s after the end of the Cold War. Lot of jungle warfare in it.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Old 2009-02-28, 19:23   Link #16
Rab
UG'er

Send a message via MSN to Rab
Valkyira Chronicles is due to come soon. Not exactly set in Modern day warfare. lt's a fictional anime about a war in a fictional WW2 conflict.

lt's worth a try since it'll be shown spring sometime.
Old 2009-03-01, 00:26   Link #17
-chii-
chii is chii

saikano

now and then here and there

jin roh: the wolf brigade

all these have foot soldiers in them. dunno about the modern part but that's the best i can come up with that isn't already meantioned.
Old 2009-03-01, 03:39   Link #18
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Zipang: Probably not quite what you had in mind, but it's a great series. It has a time travel plot that places an aegis cruiser into the middle of World War II with no backup or additional supplies. It tends more towards naval combat, but it has some land warfare as well.
Old 2009-03-01, 05:42   Link #19
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Uhm i know you asked for an anime however there's a manga called "Eden" that would probably satisfy your request.

Old 2009-03-01, 07:42   Link #20
denice25

I don't think if there's a new anime that has a Modern Day Warfare..
Closed Thread