AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-02-28, 22:15   Link #1
izuna

Smile Recommend anime based on my personal favourites? More info..

I’d like to start watching some recent (as in not more than a few years old) anime but the series available seem almost overwhelming, I’ve also wasted a lot of time watching the first few episodes of anime I haven’t really ended up enjoying.

On the whole I like intelligent anime with a strong plot and well fleshed-out characterization. I’m also partial to anime with interesting, quirky or unusual animation style as in all honestly, the standard huge shimmering eyes look can get a little tedious for me at times. Having said all this though, a bit of well constructed silliness can be very enjoyable too! I’m also a fan of more adult themes, extreme gore/horror and cyberpunk (shame it doesn’t seem to be cool anymore..).

These are some of my favourite anime:

Everything by Satoshi Kon esp Paranoia Agent (as far as I know I’ve seen everything)
Princess Mononoke
FLCL
FMA
Akira
Ghost in the Shell (movies and series)
Serial experiment lain
Dead Leaves
Death Note
Nana
Battle Angel Alita
Ninja Scroll
Original Macross, Macross Plus
Azumanga Daioh
Urotsukidouji ^^;

And if it helps, stuff I don’t get on with:

Naruto
Elfin Lied (wanted to like it, liked the plot, hated the animation)
xxx Holic – I can appreciate it but could never get into it

Thanks!
Old 2009-02-28, 23:05   Link #2
Smithsky

Mm try

Black Lagoon (action, guns, blood, for a bit older audience I guess)
Macross Frontier (I assume Original Macross isn't this one ;p)
Code Geass
Last Exile
Xam'd: Lost Memories
Casshern Sins (airing atm)
Texhnolyze (haven't watched it myself, but I heard it's good)
Mnemosyne (extreme gore ;p)
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni
Darker than Black
Baccano
Old 2009-02-28, 23:22   Link #3
Haruyan

Sayonara Zetsubou-sensei
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagan - if only for the animation, at least
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni
Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu
Old 2009-02-28, 23:54   Link #4
ahaila
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

Tokko is really good its comedy, horror, mystery, psychological, supernatural
Its funny but not overly and its really intresting, i couldnt stop watching it ^.^;

I cant get hyper link to work so heres a url for a summary

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...me.php?id=6276
Old 2009-03-01, 00:33   Link #5
-chii-
chii is chii

Kemonozume

this has everything you meantioned in your post that you like
Old 2009-03-01, 01:57   Link #6
Telmah

Send a message via AIM to Telmah Send a message via MSN to Telmah
If you liked Serial Expertiments Lain, I'll suggest Dennou Coil and Haibane Renmei. Dennou Coil is like crossing Lain with Spirited Away--you get a less depressing feel, but still mysterious show--both shows explore the idea of how the internet could connect to humanity. Haibane Renmei is similar to Lain because of the rich and deep symbolism coursing through it, as well as the exploration of the existence thereafter. While not having anything really offensive graphically in it, the parental advisor level was eight on it--simply because some of the philosophy might be considered...radical.

Since you like horror, I suggest you watch Higurashi. It delves into quite a few themes, but it can be very graphically violent and also has some really interesting comedic scenes--the contrast is perhaps why it is so effective.

I'll also suggest trying the works of Makoto Shinkai--Voices of a Distant Star, 5 Centimeters Per Second, and The Promised Place of our Early Days. They all share amazing backgrounds, interesting angles and direction, and are generally the best short pieces I've seen in anime to date. I've found them to be very intelligent pieces that require alot of considering afterward, about what the morale you take away is.

Finally, I'll suggest Kure-nai. The opening and ending are somewhat unusual, but the show itself is a real gem. The main two characters really have alot to learn from each other and both develop amazingly well over the course of the episodes. I was really impressed that despite having rather dark backgrounds for many characters, the show itself was relatively upbeat at points--much of the show is very slice of life-ish and entertaining. The ending was harder to appreciate at first, but after really thinking about how it relates to the rest of the show, I've really come to love it--in fact I think it might have been the only potential solid ending the show could have had...and that is something that really impresses me more than anything else--that it was so well thought out despite not being necessarily intiutive.
Old 2009-03-01, 15:12   Link #7
izuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telmah View Post
If you liked Serial Expertiments Lain, I'll suggest Dennou Coil and Haibane Renmei. Dennou Coil is like crossing Lain with Spirited Away--you get a less depressing feel, but still mysterious show--both shows explore the idea of how the internet could connect to humanity. Haibane Renmei is similar to Lain because of the rich and deep symbolism coursing through it, as well as the exploration of the existence thereafter. While not having anything really offensive graphically in it, the parental advisor level was eight on it--simply because some of the philosophy might be considered...radical.

Since you like horror, I suggest you watch Higurashi. It delves into quite a few themes, but it can be very graphically violent and also has some really interesting comedic scenes--the contrast is perhaps why it is so effective.

I'll also suggest trying the works of Makoto Shinkai--Voices of a Distant Star, 5 Centimeters Per Second, and The Promised Place of our Early Days. They all share amazing backgrounds, interesting angles and direction, and are generally the best short pieces I've seen in anime to date. I've found them to be very intelligent pieces that require alot of considering afterward, about what the morale you take away is.

Finally, I'll suggest Kure-nai. The opening and ending are somewhat unusual, but the show itself is a real gem. The main two characters really have alot to learn from each other and both develop amazingly well over the course of the episodes. I was really impressed that despite having rather dark backgrounds for many characters, the show itself was relatively upbeat at points--much of the show is very slice of life-ish and entertaining. The ending was harder to appreciate at first, but after really thinking about how it relates to the rest of the show, I've really come to love it--in fact I think it might have been the only potential solid ending the show could have had...and that is something that really impresses me more than anything else--that it was so well thought out despite not being necessarily intiutive.

Thank you very much for your in-depth reply, I will certainly check these out - many thanks!
Old 2009-03-01, 15:14   Link #8
izuna

Thanks everyone for your input, I have more than enough to get me started now!
Closed Thread